Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah after shipping I can get one from the UK for $143 to SC and if I did that and don’t rip a Shepherd I would be devastated, so hopefully I can just grab a shepherd sometime down the road in a high value trade.

Def better off just biting on a single before it goes up too much. Elves is a rarer pack and you might not even get a shepherd. I was stoked on jumpstart once they announced it and got pre orders in for two normal boxes, only one box had elves and it had a craterhoof behemoth not a shepherd.

Disappointed that it will end up a very limited release set. I thought it was a fun casual format on arena but the supply issues make it so cost prohibitive to play normally and obv you can't just pick up packs and play a game with randos at the LGS during the pandemic so I understand them leaving it by the way side. Hopefully someday they'll revisit the idea.

I used the packs I did manage to find to build a ready to go play set for if I ever see friends again or once my kids are old enough to learn, whichever comes first. I also have fun building custom jumpstart packs with old draft chaffe and cheapo singles I find perusing scryfall which seems like a better way to flesh out a set of jumpstart packs. Right after it first released I found a stack of cheap thriving lands off ebay to keep for custom packs so they still have the mana fixing land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Products with unlimited print runs stay available for 18-24 months. I don't see how anyone could be in a rush to play paper, so give it a quarter or two. Lol at paying $250 for a booster box.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Products with unlimited print runs stay available for 18-24 months. I don't see how anyone could be in a rush to play paper, so give it a quarter or two. Lol at paying $250 for a booster box.

Unless they've cancelled the printing because they needed to make room for the next specialty product because they were all hosed up timewise because of the pandemic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dumper Humper posted:

I think I'm missing how exactly these interact, someone explain what's happening?

Look at those board states. They got a lot of life from all the poo poo getting played.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Look at those board states. They got a lot of life from all the poo poo getting played.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation of how the triggers interacted.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I currently own zero paper cards from Ikoria, M21 or Return to Return to Zendikar and I'm not even in an area that has a ton of Covid cases. It's a mystery to me that paper MTG booster sales have apparently not cratered somehow?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

I currently own zero paper cards from Ikoria, M21 or Return to Return to Zendikar and I'm not even in an area that has a ton of Covid cases. It's a mystery to me that paper MTG booster sales have apparently not cratered somehow?

Webcam EDH and the eternal EDH arms race of owning your friends are basically keeping the game afloat right now.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Bust Rodd posted:

Webcam EDH and the eternal EDH arms race of owning your friends are basically keeping the game afloat right now.

Oh word ya that makes sense when I think of pack crackers I think of edh

Would love to see this data

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do we have any actual sales figures from the last few sets?

I haven't been to an FNM draft since March.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

I haven't been to an FNM draft since March.

IIRC Ikoria did unusually well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ikoria also had an immediate and massive, game-warping impact across every non-commander format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
But who's playing those formats outside of MTGO / Arena right now?
Am I the only one who's completely stopped buying physical cards because I have no immediate plans to actually play with them?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Again this gets brought up in this thread all the time when talking magic in covid. There are more countries than just the USA.

I’ve bought some new cards to keep a cube up to date that friends draft online

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also FOMO means people will buy the cards that are out right now to make sure they didn't miss out on these cards when paper magic starts in... whenever they think it'll start up again. Plus, people are coping with the depression of 2020 hellworld by shopping. Especially people who have spare cash because they usually spend some money on social stuff like events, concerts...drafts at FNM... and they're not spending it right now.

But mostly, what uggy said.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

in europe the price of collector booster boxes for ZRS went up ~30%, for CMR it already is at that point and I bet my rear end it will only go up

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I bought some boxes to crack from my flgs to support them during these trying times. Which is something I would not usually do.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

You might actual enjoy learning that it's possible to build a game-state in Magic that is Turing Complete. (Relevant source code and white paper references in the video description, too.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in europe the price of collector booster boxes for ZRS went up ~30%, for CMR it already is at that point and I bet my rear end it will only go up
Are you able to order from US sellers? Zendikar rising collector boxes are dropping pretty loving fast in price, just saw a bunch of eBay listings sell in the $180-$190 range, they were in theblow 200's just last week. Assuming you actually want collector boxes and aren't just remarking on it.

They are really excellent for collector boxes though, if you can get the boxes sealed for about 180 USD and are interested in collector boxes at all I'd say go for it. I definitely like the way they switched from a chance at a borderless foil to a guaranteed one every pack (or a foil expedition in its place), the organization of each pack is much more regular than the sporadic and repeat-filled prior collector packs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dumper Humper posted:

Thanks, appreciate the explanation of how the triggers interacted.

Mastery of the Unseen is a one card combo. They just kept flipping morphs and the life totals.quickly went bonkers

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747
the commander lotus is a dead draw enough of the time that I don't think it's too good.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Posting Imam posted:

the commander lotus is a dead draw enough of the time that I don't think it's too good.

Yeah, it's incredibile in the first turns of the game but it's little more than a dead draw on turn 10.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Posting Imam posted:

That's also true of Black Lotus, and I don't think it applies in a format where many decks will be capable of using that card to win ASAP.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Posting Imam posted:

It always pays for commander tax +1 and since Commander is literally Card Draw - The Format, I am absolutely ok with drawing a "dud" like that every now and then if it's just one of the five cards I draw per turn.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 1, 2020

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Chamale posted:

That's also true of Black Lotus, and I don't think it applies in a format where many decks will be capable of using that card to win ASAP.

They don't really compare in power level just because the Jeweled Lotus isn't casting any spell type except creature and it doesn't really have any combo value with recursion. If there's some worse thing that can happen than Lotus, Swamp (The lotus can't cast a dark ritual), dark ritual, Skithirix with haste? That seems like a pretty reasonable scenario since it only requires the Jeweled Lotus and 1 other nonland card. I don't know if there's some 4-5 mana commander that's an insanely degenerate combo piece but it seems harder to actually win on turn 1 with 5 mana and the restriction that 3 of it has to go to your commander.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I'm not sure of, the 32 popular reprint legends, are they showing up as part of the set regular or only in that etched foil format?

The reprints like Prossh are only in etched foil. They are not in the main set.

Etched foils do still occur in draft boosters at a low rate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Posting Imam posted:

They don't really compare in power level just because the Jeweled Lotus isn't casting any spell type except creature and it doesn't really have any combo value with recursion. If there's some worse thing that can happen than Lotus, Swamp (The lotus can't cast a dark ritual), dark ritual, Skithirix with haste? That seems like a pretty reasonable scenario since it only requires the Jeweled Lotus and 1 other nonland card. I don't know if there's some 4-5 mana commander that's an insanely degenerate combo piece but it seems harder to actually win on turn 1 with 5 mana and the restriction that 3 of it has to go to your commander.

I don't think it will break the format but I think, like Sol Ring, it will be strong in almost every single deck. As a card that only exists as a mythic rare in one set, that's not healthy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think that sol ring and dark ritual are more powerful than this.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 1, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If 4 people sit down to play commander, and one player has Jeweled Lotus, and the other 3 players don’t have spot removal or a counter spell among their 21 cards in their opening hand, the Lotus player would have just as easily won off a sol ring or dark ritual.

Commander players will be forced, kicking & screaming, to boost interaction in their decks, or they can waste away in the pits of Tartarus (Reddit EDH discords or MTGO pick up games)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bust Rodd posted:

If 4 people sit down to play commander, and one player has Jeweled Lotus, and the other 3 players don’t have spot removal or a counter spell among their 21 cards in their opening hand, the Lotus player would have just as easily won off a sol ring or dark ritual.

a) It's not the same amount of mana. Lotus allows you to cast a 4-drop while Ritual only gives you 3 and Sol Ring 2 mana to put into a single spell on turn 1.
b) Colors matter. BBB off Dark Ritual is a lot worse than ZYYY off Lotus, nevermind CC off Sol Ring.
c) You're expecting the table to have a Force or another piece of 0 mana interaction available. Even if the Lotus player goes last, "turn 1 tapped land" is a common play in non-cEDH.

But you know all of this already, just like everyone else who compares Lotus to Ritual (like Gavin) or claims a T1 Sol Ring boosts you just as much. At this point all we can do is wait and see. I absolutely don't see how Lotus doesn't break the format but my guess is as good as yours.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that sol ring and dark ritual are more powerful than this.

Sol Ring is a card that some people argue is actually better than Black Lotus.

I think it's clearly better than Dark Ritual though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just feel like if 15 years of Sol Ring didn’t break the format I can’t imagine Jeweled Lotus pushing the envelope that much farther to the edge. I expect we’ll see T1 commanders quite a bit more often and the format may adjust to that very easily. Maybe Unsummon just becomes playable in EDH now, who knows?

It’s a good card but there are so few commanders who actually end the game once they are in play, and anyone with a T1 commander is going to get dogpiled.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like being able to play your commander on curve and having 3 open mana to do stuff on the same turn is probably the better play, either keeping mana open to protect the commander or doing something like dropping Tatyova and Harrow on turn 3-4.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

sol ring is +1 mana, dark ritual is +2, lotus is +3, all these things are equivalently powerful to me because I’m still figuring out this whole “numbers” thing (sesame street is helping but man this is a lot to keep straight)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Being able to cast one card out of my deck is also the same thing as being cast any spell in my deck, so we should definitely weigh these things the same.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Did they ever actually specifically say that Ikoria did well in paper, because if not I can definitely see “extremely popular on Arena with little physical product sold” being spun as “most successful set ever”

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

sol ring is +1 mana, dark ritual is +2, lotus is +3, all these things are equivalently powerful to me because I’m still figuring out this whole “numbers” thing (sesame street is helping but man this is a lot to keep straight)

There's good lad on that program. But of an accent you might struggle with but he's real good with numbers

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Bust Rodd posted:

I just feel like if 15 years of Sol Ring didn’t break the format I can’t imagine Jeweled Lotus pushing the envelope that much farther to the edge. I expect we’ll see T1 commanders quite a bit more often and the format may adjust to that very easily. Maybe Unsummon just becomes playable in EDH now, who knows?

It’s a good card but there are so few commanders who actually end the game once they are in play, and anyone with a T1 commander is going to get dogpiled.

Almost like a format that’s been around for 15 years has warped itself around a powerful card in it, huh? Sol ring didn’t break edh but it sure as hell shapes it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sol Ring does break EDH, the reason it's not banned is because banning it would be a total embarrassment to the people making banning decisions, since it naturally provokes the question of "why wasn't this banned sooner".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sol Ring isn't a one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I just feel like if you’re still a regular commander player after like a year, T1 Sol Ring just stops being something anyone cares about and only remarks on it when it happens like “oh boy that’s pretty good” and the game just progresses as normal.

The idea that Sol Ring “breaks” commander is just flat out incorrect, IMO. Sol Ring is a component piece of the format, which contains many pieces. Beating a Sol Ring is easy if you have even the most bare bones political skills for a multiplayer game.