Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Is testing even going up?

Both testing and rate of positive result is going up

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/ThomIvar/status/1322173048221585408

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Bunschoten more like Bumschoten

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it’s not there. This is basic object permanence.

Schrödinger was an rear end in a top hat

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just because you don’t look at something doesn’t mean it’s not there. This is basic object permanence.

You can't prove it's there without observing it. Until then you merely have faith that it's there. The virus is only real because those pesky scientists couldn't leave good enough alone and had to open the box.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
God in the Quad

There was a young man who said "God
Must find it exceedingly odd
To think that the tree
Should continue to be
When there's no one about in the quad."

Reply:
"Dear Sir: Your astonishment's odd;
I am always about in the quad.
And that's why the tree
Will continue to be
Since observed by, Yours faithfully, God."

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
If a bat shits on top of a pangolin and there’s nobody there to eat it, do we all still have to die?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

If a bat shits on top of a pangolin and there’s nobody there to eat it, do we all still have to die?

Eat the bat, the pangolin, or the poo poo?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54763956

The UK is locking down.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.
Boris delayed his 4pm press conference till 5pm and now it's delayed again. Those PowerPoint transitions sure are time consuming.

Schools and Universities can stay open though! Why don't they ever include or exclude Nurseries in that statement! Am I working from home or playing with Duplo watching Pingu dammit.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1322268072338726914?s=21

Corona Spike II - the Quickening

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Here we gooo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

madeintaipei posted:

Eat the bat, the pangolin, or the poo poo?

Yes

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's my right to motorboat a pangolin's titties, i don't care about "pandemics" or "viruses"

edit: someone post the pic of the pangolin titties

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

smoobles posted:

it's my right to motorboat a pangolin's titties, i don't care about "pandemics" or "viruses"

edit: someone post the pic of the pangolin titties

Perv.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Captain Muffin posted:

Boris delayed his 4pm press conference till 5pm and now it's delayed again. Those PowerPoint transitions sure are time consuming.

Schools and Universities can stay open though! Why don't they ever include or exclude Nurseries in that statement! Am I working from home or playing with Duplo watching Pingu dammit.

Education-related unions are Not Pleased.

Are there numbers on the estimated case rates caused by various things like going to offices, universities doing in-person teaching, kids going to school or nurseries etc? Like x% due to office workers licking one another, y% due to students partying, z% due to people going to indoor gyms, etc?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
National UK lockdown was inevitable. The writing on the wall was just so patently obvious, I don't even know why the gov't bothers trotting out the "will we, won't we" routine for weeks in advance as if somehow cases might stop going up. They might extend it for a couple of weeks in December, or at least in some places, in order that they will be able to loosen the restrictions for Christmas in order to avoid a PR disaster. And obviously an economic one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Neat watching every country slowly lockdown one by one while the one I'm in cruises to 100k per day without caring

This couldn't possibly have any negative consequences for the last 2 months of the year or anything

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One issue in the US is that it is absolutely clear that there will be no large scale federal government aid in the next few months. The unemployment checks that were distributed in the spring were a vital but insufficient lifeline in managing a lockdown, and locking down again without an even bigger government aid program will lead to life changing economic and social consequences that will take years to recover from. Many small businesses where I live are barely treading water, and have outright said they will permanently close and lay off all employees if there is another lockdown. Vital social support services were starved of resources before the pandemic, are now at the breaking point, and cannot support the additional need that a lockdown will create. Students, especially those with mental health issues and those suffering from abusive environments at home, are only now starting to readjust and get some semblance of stability back. Many of them will never return to the education system if schools and colleges close again. Either way, we are hosed, and Trump is directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Is this going to be another “close all non-essential business” which will be a list of like 5 businesses.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1322319927940972545

quote:

“Sadly we are also reporting three deaths today,” said general pediatrician Claire Poché in multi-coloured hair, clown makeup, and bright yellow pants.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Dr: We have to stop the spread of the virus

Man: But doctor, you are pagliacci!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

As someone who grew up in Southern Illinois, this is completely unsurprising. Like I love the area I lived in, but it is redneck as gently caress.

No actually this is cook county (for non Illinois goons its roughly the 30 minute radius outside of chicago), and mchenry and lake county (appx 1 hour outside of chicago) where the mayors said they will not enforce anything.

Also we jumped from 7k cases to 8k cases in one day, positivity jumped an additional .3%

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
As the crush of COVID cases continues, Wisconsin is on track to run short of ICU beds in two to six weeks

quote:

Wisconsin is on track to run out of ICU beds and, more importantly, the nurses to staff them, in as little as two weeks if the number of people testing positive for COVID-19 does not drop.

On Tuesday, when the state reported a record 5,200 people tested positive, only 187 of the state's 1,469 intensive care unit beds were available. Of the patients in ICUs, 319 were being treated for COVID-19.

Given the trajectory of new cases, the number of COVID-19 patients being treated could double in two to six weeks, said Bill Melms, chief medical officer for Marshfield Clinic Health System.

“There is nothing magical about this math,” Melms said. “Every single positive increases the probability or likelihood of having another patient who is hospitalized.”

:thumbsup:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia logs another day with 0 new infections and 0 covid deaths

https://twitter.com/VicGovDHHS/status/1322644519377080326

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Has anyone said “Pissconsin”?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I poo poo myself today

To see if I could smell

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I have been pretty stressed about Halloween because my neighbors have traditionally been really active with parties and huge crowds of kids trick or treating.

It’s a ghost town (lol?) out there and no one is visible walking. Like, at all.
As poo poo gets dire globally it’s nice to have this small reassurance that my tiny slice of a locale is apparently taking this poo poo seriously.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have been pretty stressed about Halloween because my neighbors have traditionally been really active with parties and huge crowds of kids trick or treating.

It’s a ghost town (lol?) out there and no one is visible walking. Like, at all.
As poo poo gets dire globally it’s nice to have this small reassurance that my tiny slice of a locale is apparently taking this poo poo seriously.

Same here, I went to pick up some food and was surprised to see it pretty much a ghost town all around here. I expected some people to be going door to door in our apartment complex because that usually happens but not even any of that.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Just for lols consider that those are the *known* tested and infected.

(Interesting recent simulation paper in Nature)

Without a mandate for any kind of mask compliance the numbers by January could be pretty incredible.

I thought hitting > 1K deaths a day would wake people up, but no.

Will 13K dead a day by new years do it?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 1, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they wont give a poo poo about 250k per day lol

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Government in Sweden has "strongly recommended" essential grocery and pharmacy shopping only. Drove by a large shopping center here (consumer electronics, pet store, bedding etc) in the city today and it was loving packed. We're so screwed. Thought we'd be able to stick to doing "ok" for a while longer but it seems like people are just loving giving up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blitter posted:

Without a mandate for any kind of mask compliance the numbers by January could be pretty incredible.

U S A!!! U S A!!!! U S A!!!! U S A!!!!!!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The curve of this new spike is genuinely horrifying, I can't stop lol'ing from fear. We are going to be at 150,000 new cases per day before it slows again

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

The curve of this new spike is genuinely horrifying, I can't stop lol'ing from fear. We are going to be at 150,000 new cases per day before it slows again

I'm so unhappy. Trapped at home with my wife and kid until spring, at best. Every time I go outside, hardly anyone is wearing a mask. I drive through downtown amd see people sitting outside at restaurants like everything is fine. This is crushing. I feel so hopeless, but at least my income is mostly intact, unlike many others.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Blitter posted:

People will not care until it is happening to their friends, family, and themselves.
It will be too late then.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

John_A_Tallon posted:

People will not care until it is happening to their friends, family, and themselves.
It will be too late then.

Oh, lol, it's already too late.

Seriously, a month long, US nation-wide full on lockdown starting tomorrow with draconian punishments and mandatory mask and curfews would make a dent but hardly even change the numbers for this year.

It would help for sure, in the long term but it's endemic and out of control already.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

smoobles posted:

I know this isn't the doompost thread but um, what makes you think its going to slow down at 150000 cases a day?

Honestly feeling kinda scared for you guys. I mean, it's looking rough for a lot of folks but holy poo poo, I am a pretty pessimistic person but I'm still somehow surprised at how terrifically badly its going in the US..

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I feel like 150k a day will mean almost everyone (in a matter of weeks) will know someone who catches it, so maybe then the virus will become real to people.

That's probably wishful thinking.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

smoobles posted:

That's probably wishful thinking.

Update from chud country: It's wishful thinking. My brother-in-law's wife took her kid neighborhood trick or treating last night because its not a big deal.

She's positive, her husband is positive, her kid is positive, her live-in mother is hospitalized because of it. The zero sum gently caress you got mine mentality absolutely means they have no qualms about spreading it to their neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
for a bit of contrast, welcome to europe: