Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ended up getting an order for a Gigabye 3070 on Amazon just now. It's not going to arrive until Nov 22.-23 (if at all) but I'm going to keep holding out for a 3080. Might cancel this one before then either way but hey at least I was finally able to add one to my cart on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, that 3080 that went up a few minutes ago was instantly in "won't even go in the cart" territory.

And now it's gone.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What's annoying was I did the spam add to cart trick for the 3070 and it worked on like the 8th try. No dice on the 3080 one :(

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Specs:
------
Gigabyte 3070 OC
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi mobo
Ryzen 3800x
32GB G.SKILL Trident-Z DDR4 3600
Samsung 970 m.2 EVO MZ-V7E1T0BW
More RGBs than a loving air traffic controller

Quake II RTX 1440P: 40-45FPS consistent

TimeSpy, and TimeSpy Extreme 4k (silly since I have a 1440p Asus Predator Gsync IPS)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I never understand why they call it “premium gaming machine” when its usually pegged at “absolute max possible without exotic cooling”.

edit: vvv yeah I meant below ambient

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 1, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I never understand why they call it “premium gaming machine” when its usually pegged at “absolute max possible without exotic cooling”
^^^ oh lol

premium probably also assumes they're running a custom loop.

the last few pages gave me nostalgic feelings of the good/bad old days of quake 2 rendering. It's good to see nerds are as passionate as ever about these kinds of things.

edit: and I want to pitch in. I had serious issues with some AMD shader issues back in the Radeon HD 4000 era. EVE particles would blow up and cover the entire screen in white.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 1, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I've been having some issues lately with my GPU, namely while gaming. At random intervals, my game will suddenly lock up, but sound will continue to register. It's been going on for a while now, but only in games I have windowless fullscreen on. I first had it happen on Monster Hunter World, now it's happening in Control and Deep Rock Galactic. Framerate otherwise seems to be holding steady at 60 FPS (v-sync). Eve Online, of all games, seems to have no problems, but that's in bordered mode.

It's a RTX 2070 (non-super), for what it's worth, latest drivers (unless they updated them within the last week or so). The odd thing is the issues seemed to start after a driver update a while ago, at least with MHW they did.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

iospace posted:

So I've been having some issues lately with my GPU, namely while gaming. At random intervals, my game will suddenly lock up, but sound will continue to register. It's been going on for a while now, but only in games I have windowless fullscreen on. I first had it happen on Monster Hunter World, now it's happening in Control and Deep Rock Galactic. Framerate otherwise seems to be holding steady at 60 FPS (v-sync). Eve Online, of all games, seems to have no problems, but that's in bordered mode.

It's a RTX 2070 (non-super), for what it's worth, latest drivers (unless they updated them within the last week or so). The odd thing is the issues seemed to start after a driver update a while ago, at least with MHW they did.

Really dumb question, but do you have Logitech G-Hub installed? It used to do the exact same thing with my videocard until I stopped it from launching at startup. Does the screen black out too? Otherwise, I have no idea :(

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sounds like a crash you get when overclocking too hard.

Is it a pre OC card?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fappenmeister posted:

Really dumb question, but do you have Logitech G-Hub installed? It used to do the exact same thing with my videocard until I stopped it from launching at startup. Does the screen black out too? Otherwise, I have no idea :(

Yes, or I'm pretty sure I do. Don't get the black screen though, but I'll try that first.

spunkshui posted:

Sounds like a crash you get when overclocking too hard.

Is it a pre OC card?

Yes, but I haven't fiddled with the settings at all. Clocks and everything are still box stock, including the pre-OC.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

here is a dB meter next to my Zotac 1080GTX, with a 3dmark stress test running, and with the case opened vs closed:

same positioning of the meter, next to the "noisy" Gigabyte card

those are identical enough that I am not at all confident I am isolating the sound of the card; this is likely just the ambient sound of all component fans, and swapping cards didn't move the needle.

I stuck my abnormally hateful of high pitched noises ears next to the card under load and I don't hear anything, but I haven't yet done a good recording under spectrum analysis. Though, again, localizing things to the VC specifically is hard in a civilian setting even with decent equipment.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My friends, I have gained access to a missing shipment of 3080s and 3070s. Hundreds and hundreds of cards. They are beautiful cards but I have a problem: I only have one computer. Please post the street you lived on as a child, your first pet’s name , the name of your favorite teacher, and the town where your parents met.

Greatness awaits. I don’t offer this to just anyone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

buglord posted:

My friends, I have gained access to a missing shipment of 3080s and 3070s. Hundreds and hundreds of cards. They are beautiful cards but I have a problem: I only have one computer. Please post the street you lived on as a child, your first pet’s name , the name of your favorite teacher, and the town where your parents met.

1. Grover Lane
2. Kirk
3. Johnson
4. New York

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

buglord posted:

Måvägen, Ludvig, Tommy Persson, Gothenburg!

Please sir, please!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

buglord posted:

I don't know what you're doing and I'm a little frightened but here goes!

1. Wesleyan Rd.
2. Princess
3. Rosen
4. New York City

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thank you my friends for your quick response. No need to PM your shipping addresses, I know them now. Please wait 5-7 days for delivery.

Live To Game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wow thanks!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It's a good bit, I like it (my 3080 that I actually paid for will arrive within two weeks)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I pray for the brains of those that actually responded

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Based on how it's going I should get mine next week but unless the supply per brand gets up over 100 a week I don't think the people in position 800+ are getting their cards by christmas.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What has everyone been able to achieve with 3080 undervolting? 1875MHz @ 850mV seems to be my sweet spot, only a 4-5% performance delta from max stable OC but far less coil whine, far less fan noise, and temps (FE model) stabilize at ~75-78C during 100% game load rather than ~82C.

I'm interested to see the diversity out there - are there people hitting the same high 1800s with even lower voltages, or are people finding that a tiny bit more voltage unlocks a ton more frequency, etc...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I Regret Ordering A Non OC Strix 3080

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

I pray for the brains of those that actually responded

Yes, someone answering with "kirk johnson" and "grover lane" is completely taking the bait here :v:

I forgot where Doobie was otherwise I'd use that town.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ok I will admit to not actually understanding the responses. It is i that has become the Owned. :smithcloud:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

awesmoe posted:

I'm feeling kind of happy with a temporary (OC) 3070 plus a much more informed decision in ~march.

If I had a 4k monitor I might feel more urgency :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cygni posted:

Ok I will admit to not actually understanding the responses. It is i that has become the Owned. :smithcloud:

All I know is that I'm getting my card for free from buglord, who's thhe owned one now?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

hobbesmaster posted:

I never understand why they call it “premium gaming machine” when its usually pegged at “absolute max possible without exotic cooling”.

edit: vvv yeah I meant below ambient

The "premium gaming" is literally 2080Ti SLI, something that no one would run for anything other than 3DMark

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DLSS2 isn't a home run - there's some noticeable artifacting with Watch Dogs: Legion - specifically the sky (clouds) gets blurrier.
Nvidia keeping game developers with DLSS implementations on such a tight leash suggests that the current setup isn't perfect and/or requires per-game tweaks - not talking about training the NN.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

DLSS2 isn't a home run - there's some noticeable artifacting with Watch Dogs: Legion - specifically the sky (clouds) gets blurrier.

I'd guess that's because the clouds are rendered in the transparency pass, and therefore don't have motion vectors associated with them. That's the achilles heel of all reconstruction techniques really, it's only practical to store a single motion vector per pixel so only the opaque objects get them, and any transparent objects in front get mangled somewhat. Happens with TAA too but it's not as obvious with a less aggressive reconstruction.

Could be avoided by only upscaling the opaque pass then rendering transparencies at full resolution on top but then you're giving up some of the performance win.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

awesmoe posted:

may i ask why? i ended up with a strix 3080 because it was the first card that i was able to actually buy. i haven't received it yet but my current mood is that the $150 premium probably isn't going to be worth it based on the benchmarks i've seen

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

JUNGLE BOY posted:

may i ask why? i ended up with a strix 3080 because it was the first card that i was able to actually buy. i haven't received it yet but my current mood is that the $150 premium probably isn't going to be worth it based on the benchmarks i've seen

I'm going to guess "because they're not making them therefore I will never get one" which is what people have been saying about all of the non-oc cards in the last 10+ pages

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

ASUS is not making the non OC cards.

Demand is too high.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

iospace posted:

Yes, or I'm pretty sure I do. Don't get the black screen though, but I'll try that first.

Yes, but I haven't fiddled with the settings at all. Clocks and everything are still box stock, including the pre-OC.

It might be bad I was able to guess your card is pre OCed :(

It doesn’t sound like its a stable OC anymore.

Id turn down core by like 20-40 mghz with afterburner, just as a test.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Help me, thread. Since I installed my MSI 3090 I’ve been getting occasional blue screens attributed to gdrv2.sys while playing games. It has happened in both Death Stranding and Watch Dogs: Legion. I didn’t play those games while still on my 1080, but there shouldn’t be anything a game can do that crashes the kernel anyway.

The internet often attributes this to some Gigabyte software, which I do not believe I am running, since I don’t have a Gigabyte card. Does anyone have any tips on figuring out what’s going on and making it stop?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Do you have a gigabyte motherboard?

Could be the gigabyte app center or their RGB software.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JUNGLE BOY posted:

well, get used to the bolded bit

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Where can I wire my $5000 as a gesture of good faith?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Coming from a 1080, and jumping into Control without having played it at all -- I think DLSS makes the framerate pop and also does something not negative to the visual texture of the game which is much harder to quantify than the impact of turning raytrace on or off, which is both much more obvious and dramatic in places you see it (mostly involving glass surfaces or water) and as I'd expect does not much in places where the lighting isn't... interesting.

DLSS is a little strange but I'd say I find it generally preferable to not.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Coming from a 1080, and jumping into Control without having played it at all -- I think DLSS makes the framerate pop and also does something not negative to the visual texture of the game which is much harder to quantify than the impact of turning raytrace on or off, which is both much more obvious and dramatic in places you see it (mostly involving glass surfaces or water) and as I'd expect does not much in places where the lighting isn't... interesting.

DLSS is a little strange but I'd say I find it generally preferable to not.

I agree with you that DLSS in Control looks different from native, in a way that isn't necessarily better or worse. I find it a bit over-sharpened. That said, given different but roughly equal visual quality, I'm always taking the option with better performance.

Not every DLSS implementation looks the same, though. The anti-aliasing in Death Stranding with DLSS set to quality is far, far better than the TAA implementation at native resolution. It is so much looks so much better than native that I'd use it even if it had a performance hit instead of also giving you a performance increase. When you are just running around in the environment, without all the post-processing like in the cutscenes, it is possibly the cleanest looking image I've seen.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pyrotek posted:

When you are just running around in the environment, without all the post-processing like in the cutscenes, it is possibly the cleanest looking image I've seen.

I can relate to this. I installed DS after getting my 3080 and it made me text my friend saying “this is the maybe the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen on a screen.”

Doesn’t hurt that the soundtrack is my poo poo.