Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stop taking the bait from Pissflaps 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

therattle posted:

Unlike a society, a party chooses who to allow in or exclude. If there is a prevalence of something within a subgroup that is increasing, and contrary to that subgroup’s stated values, then it has a problem.

But thanks for illustrating my point so quickly.

I wasn't aware that it was increasing? Also people aren't screened before they enter, if the party has a lower prevalence of antisemitism than the general population that suggests that there is a combination of cultural intolerance for antisemitism within the party, and/or that there are effective procedures for removing people who display it. Both of which are good things and point to the prior assertion that it does not make a lot of sense to say that the party "has a problem with" antisemitism.

You don't say that new zealand "has a problem" with covid, you don't say schools with better learning outcomes "have a problem" with education, that just isn't how words work? You start from the baseline expectation and look at whether they are improving on it or doing worse than it? As labour does draw from the general population if it has a lower rate of antisemitism it is creating an environment that actively discourages it, is it not? There may be ways it could do it better and certainly things like the obstructiveness of the party apparatus in dealing with complaints for political purposes is a very obvious point for improvement, but even with that, it does not seem like it makes any sense to assert that "labour has a problem with antisemitism" unless something has changed since last I was aware, which was that labour is demonstrably less antisemitic than you would expect an organization based in britain to be. The correct thing to say, in that instance, is that labour is effectively combating antisemitism but there are ways it could do so more effectively.

The meaning of which, as a statement, I would suggest is entirely opposite the meaning of the one you keep asserting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 1, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

justcola posted:

Something I've been thinking about a bit is how do you find all this out if you didn't have the internet or a TV, just word of mouth, wake up in a hospital bed from a coma and find everything is deserted etc. how are you meant to know whats going on?
My lengthy research on the subject concludes that you should go through the door marked DONT DEAD OPEN INSIDE and then eventually meet up with the army and the major is played by Christopher Ecclestone so you can just stop the film there and not watch any further because it all turns out fine and people are generally just the best.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If Corbyn is a luchador then where's his mask, hmmm?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vitamin P posted:

Treating the AS stuff as though there isn't a wider political and media context for the story shits on the vulnerable groups being abused and mudered by the austerity policies Corbyns Labour was the only viable fightback against in a generation it's not complicated.

Does it really matter what the wider context is? Antisemitism is antisemitism and should not be tolerated full stop, especially within a political party where one of their core tenets is anti racism.

One the other hand, the right will always use every weapon at its disposal to protect its interests and complaining that the UK left was sunk under the spectre of antisemitism is both diminishing the importance of fighting against antisemitism but also saying the other side doesn't play fair. Unfortunately you cant just take your ball and go home cuz it's not your ball and you have no home (you've been evicted). You'll have to find better players

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zohar posted:

Just came across this guy at the Telegraph lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

If Corbyn is a luchador then where's his mask, hmmm?

https://twitter.com/SamiZayn/status/1322232843666395136?s=19

Jeremy Corbyn was secretly El Generico :ssh:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
whoops wrong button

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Order is backwards, it goes "there is no second wave" to "ok there is one and it's going to kill everyone but we shouldn't do anything anyway"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Z the IVth posted:

The problem with journalists is that the good ones put themselves in the line of fire for their job and get shot for their troubles.

The poo poo ones kick back and write poo poo.

I think the solution is to make all journalists take at least one tour in a warzone/humanitarian crisis/natural disaster area to build character before they're allowed to become pundits.

this is overcomplicating the problem already solved by jose

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

Stop taking the bait from Pissflaps 2.

Forums user therattle is being way more sincere and posting better than Pissflaps was that's unfair.

fridge corn posted:

Does it really matter what the wider context is? Antisemitism is antisemitism and should not be tolerated full stop, especially within a political party where one of their core tenets is anti racism.

One the other hand, the right will always use every weapon at its disposal to protect its interests and complaining that the UK left was sunk under the spectre of antisemitism is both diminishing the importance of fighting against antisemitism but also saying the other side doesn't play fair. Unfortunately you cant just take your ball and go home cuz it's not your ball and you have no home (you've been evicted). You'll have to find better players

In the context of an ongoing apartheid against the Palestinian people that bad actors are equating criticism of to antisemitism then yes it obviously does matter what the wider context is.

I strongly disagree that the AS story was a significant factor in 2017 or 2019 btw, but it is relevant in that establishment media is using it to create a fake narrative and undermine future left actions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

this is overcomplicating the problem already solved by jose

You mean send the journos to go stay with Jose so they experience natural disasters? Would probably get pretty annoying for him TBH.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think we established that to weaponise Jose you need to be near him but not too close, because he himself is immune.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I don't think the wider British voting base cares one bit about antisemitism. Though the overwhelmingly negative media portrayal in general certainly hurt Corbs. Which could be wholly unrelated to antisemitism charges.

Also his Brexit stance was probably the worst one any party could possible take.

He sent Labour remainers to the Lib dems
Labor leavers to the Tories

While the Tory voters stayed or maybe voted Lib dem at the worst.

He catered to a Brexit voter that did not exist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I wasn't aware that it was increasing? Also people aren't screened before they enter, if the party has a lower prevalence of antisemitism than the general population that suggests that there is a combination of cultural intolerance for antisemitism within the party, and/or that there are effective procedures for removing people who display it. Both of which are good things and point to the prior assertion that it does not make a lot of sense to say that the party "has a problem with" antisemitism.
I suppose it depends if you mean it as in "there are some antisemites within Labour, and this is a problem" or as in there is a problem with antisemitism specific to the Labour party.

Because the first is true, especially when there are factions deliberately gumming up the works to remove them, but yes, all accounts seem to show the percentage of Labour supporters believing in antisemitic tropes falling from partway between Conservative and Lib Dem levels in 2015 to below Lib Dem in 2017. Something went right about then.

So if anything, it's the Tories who have managed to set up their party as a reverse osmosis machine for concentrating people who believe you can't trust Jews, and that seems reflected in the number of party members/staffers spreading antisemitic conspiracy theories like 'Cultural Marxism' around on twitter. So I suppose the argument is whether they should get a pass because they aren't an anti-racist party, and I don't see why that should be the case, we didn't give the BNP a free pass on having a whites-only rule just because they admitted to being a strictly racist party.

Katt posted:

Also his Brexit stance was probably the worst one any party could possible take.
His big mistake would be leaving that to his Shadow Brexit Secretary then. Oops.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

In the context of an ongoing apartheid against the Palestinian people that bad actors are equating criticism of to antisemitism then yes it obviously does matter what the wider context is.

I'm not sure why you bring this up. While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, it is not how you framed the wider context in the post I was replying to. There is obviously a difference between genuine antisemitism and contrived antisemitism and I was addressing the former and its presence in the Labour Party

Vitamin P posted:

I strongly disagree that the AS story was a significant factor in 2017 or 2019 btw, but it is relevant in that establishment media is using it to create a fake narrative and undermine future left actions.

I mean whether you believe the antisemitism issue had an effect on the outcome of either election largely depends on whether or not you believed Corbyn had a chance in the first place I guess. So you believe it wasnt a factor but will be in the future?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would strongly suggest that if the desired meaning is the former then a different formulation of words should be used to convey it because I think "the party has a problem with antisemitism" definitely conveys the latter, categorically incorrect meaning.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Order is backwards, it goes "there is no second wave" to "ok there is one and it's going to kill everyone but we shouldn't do anything anyway"

oops

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the party has a problem with a prominent former leader who cannot stop himself from having the last word, no matter how ill-advised, combined with an anti-discrimination policy that allows people who've been dunked on to fight back via ponderous processes instead of slinking away in humiliation. Once these processes are invoked, any outcome is bad, because even with a very good outcome that appears to close the previous issue, in comes said former leader to restart the cycle.

the combination renders it a perpetual headline generator. Sometimes the relevant individual is insensitive enough to say something that allows the party to force that person out (e.g., Livingstone). But at other times it's not going to be. If anything, this won't be limited to A/S in the future

this didn't previously exist back in the days of Militant because there was no disciplinary process in the old Labour Party. The NEC fused both political and disciplinary decisionmaking. Today, it's not going to go away and if anything is adopting a much more quasijudicial process rather than the vague 'disrepute' formalization.

something must give, but in the long view I can't guess what

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ronya posted:

the party has a problem with a prominent former leader who cannot stop himself from having the last word, no matter how ill-advised

Tony Blair?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also Pissflaps Mk2 up there said that there were things in the leaked report which were "taken out of context".

Tells you all you need to know.

What context could there be that makes any of that poo poo alright? What more context do you need than an 800 page report which is solely there to provide context?

If anybody is actually going to try to answer those two questions, I'm not interested, because you're either monumentally dumb or acting in bad faith and I have time for neither.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

kecske posted:

Tony Blair?

this actually came up when Blair and Mandelson (both party members) advocated voting for the most anti-Brexit candidate in 2017 regardless of party

however, the party did not take the bait and expel them. So, no recursion

the HR process as written no longer allows for such discretion however

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

Your strawmanning is getting really old, really fast.

Please explain.

quote:

therattle posted:

There are definitely people in C-SPAM who believe that. Arguing with them is pointless. I may be confusing this thread with that one but I’m pretty sure there are posters here who believe it too.

TheRat posted:

Really? Is this another one of those things you've just made up in your head?

OwlFancier posted:

I was under the impression that the labour party is statistically less antisemitic than the general population, which I would find difficult to characterise as "the party has a problem with antisemitism"

Vitamin P posted:

Treating the AS stuff as though there isn't a wider political and media context for the story shits on the vulnerable groups being abused and mudered by the austerity policies Corbyns Labour was the only viable fightback against in a generation it's not complicated.

I'm really sorry, but I don't agree. There were victims of Labour AS (being Jews who were distressed, traumatised, harassed, etc), and who were also being used as a political footballs by the right, but the fact that others also suffered (differently, and often more) as a result doesn't mean that we can't have sympathy for both.

Anyway, I have said my piece on this. Time for TV.

WhatEvil posted:

Also Pissflaps Mk2 up there said that there were things in the leaked report which were "taken out of context".

Tells you all you need to know.

What context could there be that makes any of that poo poo alright? What more context do you need than an 800 page report which is solely there to provide context?

If anybody is actually going to try to answer those two questions, I'm not interested, because you're either monumentally dumb or acting in bad faith and I have time for neither.

There is some really horrible stuff in that report, which, if true (and at least some of it probably is) is abhorrent and inexcusable. But it isn't altogether clear how much is true and what the wider context was for all of it, from which a number of conclusions have been drawn. For instance, there was stuff about Coryn's people celebrating after 2017 while the right-wingers were grey-faced, because this isn't what they had worked for. They were running an election campaign. Corbyn's people were celebrating a better-than-expected close second place. In a two-horse race, there is a word for second place. If you'd lost an election that you'd worked really hard to win, would you necessarily be celebrating?

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 1, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

therattle posted:

Anyway, I have said my piece on this. Time for TV.

don't come back

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Julio Cruz posted:

have you tried going and arguing with them instead of pretending that this thread believes that? it might be a better use of your time

therattle posted:

You didn’t say general view (or I would have agreed with you). To be honest, this feels like petty points scoring. But it is worth pointing out that quite a lot of people still don’t accept that there was/is a problem.

Julio Cruz posted:

don't come back

Sorry, I will for one last thing. Per the above two posts I misremembered what you wrote. You were referring to the general thread view and not individuals. So my response to you was wrong. It bothered me when I realised.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Sorry, I will for one last thing. Per the above two posts I misremembered what you wrote. You were referring to the general thread view and not individuals. So my response to you was wrong. It bothered me when I realised.

Thanks for expounding on the AS points here in DnD. Your points of view are different from my own, and I don't agree with them as you know, but I do respect the posting energy.

Keep on posting!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

MeinPanzer posted:

Rental dispute update:

My wife and I were living as lodgers under a licence agreement in the house of our landlord and we were evicted with a month's notice a bit over a month ago. Our landlord moved out in the course of our time renting but we never legally had exclusive occupancy of the unit. We were really good tenants who put a lot of time and effort into maintaining the property while the landlord was generally unresponsive and didn't maintain or fix many basic elements of the house that we repeatedly requested she fix (such as a heat pump, sink, and toilet), so we were surprised when after moving out she sent us a list of bullshit charges including £60 to clean the oven which we had cleaned to a reasonable standard, and £90 to replace her busted rear end vacuum that we had used a handful of times before buying our own. In the end of the email, she condescendingly claimed that we actually owed her more than our £300 deposit, but that she was willing to call it even. Because we were moving from the Midlands to Scotland, she clearly thought we wouldn't be willing to put the time and effort in to challenge her.

After not responding to our texts and emails disputing these deductions, I sent a formal email notifying her that we would be filing a claim in small claims court. She sent a response within a couple of hours sending us the money along with what I can only describe as a tirade calling us nasty and dishonest and listing a bunch of tiny petty complaints that she was kind enough to not go after us for.

Thanks for all the advice! Feels good to win one now and then :thumbsup:

Take her to loving court anyway. At least tell her you are.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

therattle posted:

I think much of the hostility towards you in this thread is due to you having a really annoying avatar and when people read your posts, they subconsciously imagine that it's the avatar saying them and get cross. Have you considered replacing it with an anime girl?

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

therattle posted:

For instance, there was stuff about Coryn's people celebrating after 2017 while the right-wingers were grey-faced, because this isn't what they had worked for. They were running an election campaign. Corbyn's people were celebrating a better-than-expected close second place. In a two-horse race, there is a word for second place. If you'd lost an election that you'd worked really hard to win, would you necessarily be celebrating?

Yes, because they wanted, expected and actively worked for the result to be worse and were grey-faced because it was so much closer than they expected. See for example Steven Kinnocks crestfallen face and the aborted leadership campaign planned for the days after the election.

With your first post I thought you might be genuine but this shows you are clearly being disingenuous, or trolling. Long form pissflaps it is then.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

He sent Labour remainers to the Lib dems
Labor leavers to the Tories

While the Tory voters stayed or maybe voted Lib dem at the worst.

He catered to a Brexit voter that did not exist.

Pure anecdote, but in my archetypal left behind/shafted by 40 years of neoliberalism East Midlands city I haven't encountered a single person who says they would have voted Labour in 2019 but didn't because of Corbyn's supposed antisemitism/terrorist sympathies/Britain-hating/unwillingness to nuke Russia/whatever. There are plenty of folks who were never going to vote Labour because they considered the entire platform lunacy/immoral/unachievable/THE BINS and there are plenty of those that [say they] liked much of what Labour was offering but let their need to Get Brexit Done/Uphold the Will Of The People take precedence. And some (tending to be of the younger, more educated, higher-social-capital sort) who liked the platform but wouldn't vote Labour because Corbyn wouldn't Stop Brexit.

Kinda sums up the impossible position Labour was in with regard to Brexit, but my unscientific/non-forensic impression is that the 2017 position would have gone down much better. And that the poo poo thrown at Corbyn personally made no impact here in the regions.

therattle posted:

For instance, there was stuff about Coryn's people celebrating after 2017 while the right-wingers were grey-faced, because this isn't what they had worked for. They were running an election campaign. Corbyn's people were celebrating a better-than-expected close second place. In a two-horse race, there is a word for second place. If you'd lost an election that you'd worked really hard to win, would you necessarily be celebrating?

I remember watching the Labour right figureheads on the 2017 GE night. Their reactions and demeanour were absolutely not those of people who had given their all to achieving a victory against the odds and come up a hair's breadth short. They were stunned/appalled that the policies and people they had spent the past two years insisting where 'unelectable' had come within a few thousand votes of being elected, and had gained an overall swing not seen since the 1940s.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think much of the hostility towards you in this thread is due to you having a really annoying avatar and when people read your posts, they subconsciously imagine that it's the avatar saying them and get cross. Have you considered replacing it with an anime girl?

Lol

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ronya posted:

it is possible to put down these issues - recall e.g. that both Corbyn and McDonnell were soon hit by criticisms over their various remarks on the Irish peace process early in their respective positions. Compare McDonnell defusing what one might think to be an utterly disastrous remark:

I love you Ronya and this is a fantastic post

I had felt as well that Corbyn is a bit, well, stubborn, or maybe obsinate, whatever the best term is - as a character trait. Man's not perfect. I still love him and I think it's pretty clear that the press would have endlessly hounded him anyway, but one does not negate the other

See, life is complex like this, all kinds of nuance. I can understand where therattle is coming from as well. Disagree with them, but I get it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1323015019534163969

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1323015021757140992

gouge out my brain

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's that time of the electoral cycle when the Farage Fund must be running dry.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd forgotten he even exists tbh. That's how poo poo of a year it's been :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The endless grift.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Feel like there's no scenario where "anti-lockdown party" is a strong suit by next May, but maybe I lack Farage's frog instincts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

His relentless dedication to killing Brits has to be admired

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

I'd forgotten he even exists tbh. That's how poo poo of a year it's been :(

Hope he goes campaigning by small plane again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You would think Farage would be happy most of Kent and other parts of the UK are being named after him post Brexit.
Farage Garages