Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Really curious where you are in the story right now cause hoo boy either you or we got another thing coming :allears:

Ive only just entered the main map, after beating an oil monster and being partially responsible for a future generation of stupid people, given how banged up those frozen eggs and sperm where when I delivered them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The plot is like Mario, the game explains this very clearly.

*Sam grabs Higgs and begins spinning him around* So long-eh, Monaghan!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The plot is like Mario, the game explains this very clearly.

:hmmyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hadn't played Evil Within 1 in a few years and busted it out for Halloween. I forgot how many cheap one shot instant deaths there were in that game. EW2 is way better if I remember right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Evil Within 1 felt like the videogame equivalent of being trapped in a tumble dryer for how much whiplash it gave me, but damned if it wasn't memorable. Evil Within 2 is a more consistent experience at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the amount of instant death stuff in The Evil Within is what keeps me from replaying it more often, it's legit one of my favorite horror games I've ever played. The game just oozes atmosphere out of every gribbly orifice and the Japanese take on the grindhouse film genre hasn't been attempted with such style since the likes of No More Heroes or more recently Resident Evil 7. With that said, there's a lot of crap in that game what kills you in one hit or screws you over irrevocably especially as you get later on into it. Making physical contact with an enemy almost always results in an instant death grab. I wish it had more open but contained environments like the village near the start or the Victoriano mansion.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Oct 31, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Evil Within 2 is better than Evil Within 1 in pretty much every way yet is somehow still a worse game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

More like oldtasteless.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
EW2 lacks je ne sais quoi. I think the art direction is simply not as strong as it was in 1? I think they had some art guys from REmake 1 doing EW1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I recently found out there's a very vocal group of people who play Bloodborne and think the boring rear end saw cleaver is the best weapon. And they're objectively wrong in every category

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: After so many years and expansions they still haven't figured out a way to make doing relic weapons not a complete pain in the rear end. You need to have the item in your inventory, NOT equipped. And you can't change to another class to get the weapon in your inventory, cause you'll have to be the class the weapon is for as well. You need to equip a weapon to be a class. So anytime you upgrade your weapon you gotta gently caress off to the nearest NPC shop and buy another weapon to equip and then turn in the quest. Then you gotta decide if you're gonna hold onto this placeholder weapon and take up space or chuck, just to have to buy it later.

They can't like, when you go to turn the stuff in and it goes into a cutscene it places a placeholder weapon in your inventory, equips it, changes out your relic, equips the relic and removes the placeholder?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

I recently found out there's a very vocal group of people who play Bloodborne and think the boring rear end saw cleaver is the best weapon. And they're objectively wrong in every category

Game has a pimp cane that turns into a razor blade whip. Why do other weapons exist?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

Game has a pimp cane that turns into a razor blade whip. Why do other weapons exist?

Because "the saw cleaver is the best weapon which is why all the speed runners and no hit players use it"

Except like you just stated above, it's a cane that turns into a whip. It is objectively better than anything else

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Boom

Hammer

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

rydiafan posted:

I'm not saying you gotta use the best top tier weapon every run, but the threaded cane never even seemed "solid" to me. Like, bottom 1/3 probably while the other two starters are top 1/3. The whip mode seems particularly crappy. I picked it for my first run of the game and just switching to another weapon made the game suddenly feel significantly easier.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

Wow there's weirdos for every game huh?

The Saw Spear is way better. Big sweeping arcs when extended, big smash attack when you charge that has a good chance of staggering people. It's not fancy, but it's reliable. I was expecting the Hunter Axe to still be the meta.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not saying you gotta use the best top tier weapon every run, but the threaded cane never even seemed "solid" to me. Like, bottom 1/3 probably while the other two starters are top 1/3. The whip mode seems particularly crappy. I picked it for my first run of the game and just switching to another weapon made the game suddenly feel significantly easier.
Whip starts out underpowered and it's hard to use, but at +6 and with about 20 Skill, its damage skyrockets. It is really good, but a late bloomer.

EDIT: Proof

https://youtu.be/8duZAcN3NfY

Start about a third in if you don't want to see my "no really that was my second attempt!" failure at the start

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Nov 1, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

Wow there's weirdos for every game huh?

The Saw Spear is way better. Big sweeping arcs when extended, big smash attack when you charge that has a good chance of staggering people. It's not fancy, but it's reliable. I was expecting the Hunter Axe to still be the meta.

A guy I know has been streaming on twitch and apparently people just lurk for fromsoft blind plays. Because his channel is full of people who are there to tell him the OPTIMAL choices at every point. And they're real adamant that the saw cleaver is the best weapon which is why every no hit and speedrun uses it.

Meanwhile the actual best weapon is the pimp cane

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only weapon befitting a true hunter is a giant pizza cutter

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Imagine playing a Soulsborne game with a bladed weapon instead of inflicting blunt force trauma on everyone and everything. The gall of some people.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'm not sure Bloodborne has any bad weapons, they all kinda rule in their own way. Probably the best weapons in any game

My favorite is the Amy Arm, aka giant smashy chicken wing, complete with whip scythe tendon that wiggles a lot

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

John Murdoch posted:

Imagine playing a Soulsborne game with a bladed weapon instead of inflicting blunt force trauma on everyone and everything. The gall of some people.

Imagine playing a God of War game and using some fancy pants magic axe instead of just beating everything to death with your bare hands.

Things dragging down God of War: There are enemies I can't seem to beat using only my hands.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This last time I've been playing dark souls I tried the broadsword and it was like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_E0UVNtJ9Y

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Nov 1, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Imagine playing a God of War game and using some fancy pants magic axe instead of just beating everything to death with your bare hands.

Things dragging down God of War: There are enemies I can't seem to beat using only my hands.

This goes along with my unexpected discovery that Super Punchman is the best and most effective way to play Hades.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crowetron posted:

The only weapon befitting a true hunter is a giant fuckin’ wheel, just rip it off a Corolla in the parking lot and go to town

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've been going back through with some friends to play Gauntlet:Dark Legacy on the weekends for a while now and for a port of an arcade game from 1996 it's still pretty drat fun. We got to one of the bonus levels (which are usually very strange looking and unlock secret characters) and it was called "The Lab" turns out we were just walking around collecting coins in Midway's offices, complete with skeletons at their desks and random conversations going on as you walked by them. Some of the choice quotes

"i can't sleep"

"can i go home yet? *other voices yelling in the background* NO"

It's all presented with very tongue in cheek humor, but knowing what we know now about crunch and game development i can't help but feel bad for these guys leaving a cry for help in their game that is presented in a funny way like this. Although i understand crunch was the exception and not the rule for games back then, and i know nothing about arcade game development so maybe they didn't have to go through that horribleness right? Or at least not to much of it :unsmith:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My first run through Bloodborme I only used the Threaded Cane and it kicked rear end. I played through again with other fun builds and weapons like the blood katana and big wheel but it was still fun as hell whipping eldritch abominations from beyond the stars to death

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite is the stake driver but I'm not going to try to tell anyone it's actually good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Been playing The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners recently. Outstanding game, but there's this thing where if you pick up a poster or note (and there are a lot of them) it'll start a voiceover narration of the entire note. This is a thoughtful convenience in VR, when reading things close to your face isn't always easy or comfortable. However, imagine if you were 10 minutes into the game and came across a dying man, his last words laden with important exposition and gameplay hints. Imagine you also found a note some 3 feet away from him and, thinking it might be related to his present condition, pick it up. Now you've got two unpauseable voices going at the same time and the more narratively important monologue can't be repeated because the speaker dies at the end of the conversation.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Leal posted:

FF14: After so many years and expansions they still haven't figured out a way to make doing relic weapons not a complete pain in the rear end. You need to have the item in your inventory, NOT equipped. And you can't change to another class to get the weapon in your inventory, cause you'll have to be the class the weapon is for as well. You need to equip a weapon to be a class. So anytime you upgrade your weapon you gotta gently caress off to the nearest NPC shop and buy another weapon to equip and then turn in the quest. Then you gotta decide if you're gonna hold onto this placeholder weapon and take up space or chuck, just to have to buy it later.

They can't like, when you go to turn the stuff in and it goes into a cutscene it places a placeholder weapon in your inventory, equips it, changes out your relic, equips the relic and removes the placeholder?

Probably, ff14 is a game where anytime a obvious solution is not taken, the answer is probably "code debt" which mostly means they ain't found the parts that do that kind of stuff that they could replace to make it work. Always remember that ff14 was built on a terrible foundation that still actively hampers it to this day and is probably the worst thing about the whole game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bloodborne is so close to perfect but there's just a few things that drag it down

Blood vials and quicksilver bullets are the biggest. They're limited but farming more isn't hard just time consuming

The level system really just feels tacked on like it exists because From puts levels in their other games like this

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Death Stranding

There's a bit just after the halfway-point where Mads Mikkelson ambushes you in a Great War trench while flanked by a gang of skeleton soldiers.

Up until now the game was balanced on Hard, since difficulty only affected damage numbers while the actual challenge was about logistics and traversal. You only get a Game Over if your cargo gets destroyed. The regular obstacles like the ghosts, acid-rain, and psychotic postmen can be easily navigated around or neutralised.

But when Mads and the skeleton lads come along the game turns into a clumsy third-person shooter. If you die you don't lose your way for a bit, you get sent back to a checkpoint. It feels like a very typical setpiece in a very atypical game. Dropping the difficulty to Easy for this segment feels like a bandaid, it could have been better handled since there where no gunfiights before this point.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Genshin Impact makes me manually change my input device to controller every time I start the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding

I think that's just a little bit before I dropped the game. If I'm remembering right it's after a pretty long stretch where you're much just trucking around without having to worry much about ghosts or bandits. Turns out what I liked about the game was traversing the environment, not worrying about sneaking or fighting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont think gunfights in DS are bad, it's just that you never quite get a feel for it because there's so little of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding

There's a bit just after the halfway-point where Mads Mikkelson ambushes you in a Great War trench while flanked by a gang of skeleton soldiers.

Up until now the game was balanced on Hard, since difficulty only affected damage numbers while the actual challenge was about logistics and traversal. You only get a Game Over if your cargo gets destroyed. The regular obstacles like the ghosts, acid-rain, and psychotic postmen can be easily navigated around or neutralised.

But when Mads and the skeleton lads come along the game turns into a clumsy third-person shooter. If you die you don't lose your way for a bit, you get sent back to a checkpoint. It feels like a very typical setpiece in a very atypical game. Dropping the difficulty to Easy for this segment feels like a bandaid, it could have been better handled since there where no gunfiights before this point.

I've not actually looked anything up about Death Stranding and just know it's a weird delivery game

This post definitely makes me want to go look into this more

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

I've not actually looked anything up about Death Stranding and just know it's a weird delivery game

This post definitely makes me want to go look into this more

The fact that it's secretly an MMO is what finally grabbed my attention.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Rogue legacy 2 is in early access right now but it really doesnt feel like enough of a step up from the previous game and still remains a frustrating and generally rude experience, just off the top of my head we have

- No longer able to do bosses/area out of order
- Relics that unlock permanent upgrades require you to do a very long challenge, like about 30% too long.
- While some detail is added about traits and relics often its not enough, such as icarus wings giving you a triple jump while completely failing to mention it also reduces your jump height by a fair bit.

Its some of the things but mostly the game just is a frustrating experience overall, feeling more spiteful than anything.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It has a hidden +15% damage against beasts modifier and scales really well with fire.

The Hunters Axe has the r2 "Spin to Win" attack, no one should ever use anything else.

The thing bringing Bloodborne down for me is the lack of build variety. Bloodtinge isn't viable until Castle Cainhurst and your'e almost 2/3rds through the game before Arcane becomes useful, and you have to be pumping the useless "arcane" stat the entire game because the best spell takes likes 60 arcane to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It has a hidden +15% damage against beasts modifier and scales really well with fire.

The Hunters Axe has the r2 "Spin to Win" attack, no one should ever use anything else.

The thing bringing Bloodborne down for me is the lack of build variety. Bloodtinge isn't viable until Castle Cainhurst and your'e almost 2/3rds through the game before Arcane becomes useful, and you have to be pumping the useless "arcane" stat the entire game because the best spell takes likes 60 arcane to use.