Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Have/had the moonroof on a 1st and 3rd generation with no problems. The Bose setup on the 1st gen had that ground loop popping issue, 3rd gen seems fine, and on the 4th they made a big deal about stuffing the subwoofer somewhere else after some research so presumably it's even better? :shrug:

Can't speak to the cylinder deactivation. Seems like on a four banger it'd be a great way to turn the whole car into a paint can shaker but I guess they've solved those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Discovered some terrible car poo poo today and looking for advice on how to prevent it.

With my motorcycle trailer and motorcycle in the garage, and my fiance's newer TTS taking up the available spot I've had to park my car outside. With the pandemic and working from home I just don't drive often so I guess this was bound to happen-- and it had been lingering in the back of my head as a possibility.

Is there any actually effective deterrent to keep mice/rats out of the engine bay? And should I bother trying to replace the insulation?

Without jacking the car up I don't know if there's any other damage or nest. I opened the battery box and didn't see anything in there, other than some corrosion on the negative terminal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Scotty Kilmer (car guy) on youtube recommends some sort of high pitch sound making box.
You can extension cord a home one or there are ones for cars, but they may sap battery after awhile.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m thinking about a CPO CX-5 and I have a few questions:

1. I love Soul Red, but I’m not willing to deal with the fragility of the paint. Are there any other problem colors?

2. Are there any first-year-of-refresh issues with 2017s?

3. How annoying are things like Lane Assist? I had a rental Sonata that had a lot of those features and they’d make the car swerve on freeway on-ramps and whatnot. Are they easy to disable if I don’t like them?

4. Are there any known issues I should look out for when I’m looking at the car?

E: either Touring with the Preferred Package or Grand Touring, if that’s relevant. There’s also a Grand Select I would consider if the safety stuff is annoying.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 19, 2020

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Cleaning out my garage this afternoon I came across my old sylfex auxmod - adds a line in to select 2000s and early 2010 Mazdas.

As I no longer own a model in that year range I'm giving it away to a good home - PM me if interested.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 31, 2020

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Steely Dad posted:

I’m thinking about a CPO CX-5 and I have a few questions:

1. I love Soul Red, but I’m not willing to deal with the fragility of the paint. Are there any other problem colors?

2. Are there any first-year-of-refresh issues with 2017s?

3. How annoying are things like Lane Assist? I had a rental Sonata that had a lot of those features and they’d make the car swerve on freeway on-ramps and whatnot. Are they easy to disable if I don’t like them?

4. Are there any known issues I should look out for when I’m looking at the car?

E: either Touring with the Preferred Package or Grand Touring, if that’s relevant. There’s also a Grand Select I would consider if the safety stuff is annoying.

1. I've had soul red through 2 colorado winters and its no more fragile than any other paint I've had on any other car. It's beautiful and I'd buy it in that color again in a heartbeat.
2. This i dont know.
3. Mazda's lane assist isn't aggressive at all. If its on, the wheel shakes a little. It doesn't bounce all over the place or correct you on its own. I've driven systems that do that, and the mazda isn't one of them.
4. Also don't know this one.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

1. I've had soul red through 2 colorado winters and its no more fragile than any other paint I've had on any other car. It's beautiful and I'd buy it in that color again in a heartbeat.
2. This i dont know.
3. Mazda's lane assist isn't aggressive at all. If its on, the wheel shakes a little. It doesn't bounce all over the place or correct you on its own. I've driven systems that do that, and the mazda isn't one of them.
4. Also don't know this one.

I ended up with a dark blue 18 GT. I haven’t minded the lane assist, and the ACC is really nice. I bought an OEM cargo cover and tray, and a Covercraft sun visor. I’d love to code out the distraction warning at startup, I’m debating installing CarPlay, and I’ve got a hitch and tints to get done. I want to lower it, but I can’t justify the cost. I’m pretty okay with it as a family hauler so far.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

In general Mazda news the inline 6 is real:

Car and Driver posted:

We first heard about these plans in 2019 and now have proof that the inline-six exists, thanks to this image showing two versions of the engine and its cylinder heads. We believe the engine on the left is a gasoline version and the engine on the right is a diesel version, as it has a flat cylinder head design that indicates a smaller combustion chamber yielding a higher compression ratio and appears to have more emissions equipment. Mazda also says that it will offer a 48-volt hybrid system in conjunction with the inline-six and a version of the engine that uses the company's compression-ignition-capable Skyactiv-X technology.

The engine in the middle is an inline-four with an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and the transmission. This could hint at another hybrid system for longitudinal applications, as Mazda says it is also working on a plug-in-hybrid system in addition to the 48-volt system.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did Mazda solve their wheel well and rear hatch rust cancer issues by 2015?

My 2008 3 hatch is just driving me crazy with electrical stuff and I'm thinking of calling it. I'm generally happy with Mazdas and I'm still in love with the hatch -- there's a 2015 at a lot for a pretty okay price but I'm not looking forward to years of meticulous touch up paint and sanding if the wheel well rust is still a thing. Obviously individual car care can differ but it's rare that you see a 1-2gen 3 without some rust scarring these days, whereas other cars from those years remain generally unscathed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Martytoof posted:

Did Mazda solve their wheel well and rear hatch rust cancer issues by 2015?

My 2014 3 is rust-free, despite me living in the salty Midwest and not being diligent about winter washes. Ymmv, I guess, but I’m happy at 100k-miles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought a "new" Mazda 6 this week. Looks to be in great condition. Has done 188000 km. If it's like my parents 1998 626 then it's just a baby, theirs has got 400000km> on it and runs perfectly.

It has got some rust spots though but overall it looks to be in good shape. I will address the rust issues next summer when it gets warm and dry, sandblasting, perhaps treating with phosphoric acid to stop flash rusting and 2k epoxy primer is the plan, then new color coat and 2k clear coat, blending will probably be the biggest PITA. 99% of the rust is on the lowest part of the sheet metal sections under the doors. Less rust than my Toyota Yaris that is 2 years newer than this one.

The bottom of the car has been treated with anti-rust coatings and I can't see any rust there, not sure if it's tectyl or something else, but last applied in 2019 according to the service book. I did find some rust spots starting inside the hood, I sanded those off and gave it a spray with zinc spray paint meant to go on exposed surfaces.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll probably go look at the 3 this week if it’s still around. I’m not married to Mazda but I’m happy with the 3 and honestly I’m not even sure what else I’d get — it’s been so long since I even thought about changing cars. Veloster is probably the only other thing on my horizon.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 15, 2020

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Is there anyone making aftermarket oil dipsticks for last gen's 3s that are easier to read? The stick in my 2018 3 Hatch is just flat metal with two holes in it. The lack of anything for the oil to "grip" means the solid level varies on each pull/wipe cycle when it's even visible at all & the oil film is everywhere. I'm a year in on this car, coming from an 07 RAV4 with a cross hatched stick, and it still hasn't clicked for me. The thing's got plenty of other problems but this is about the only one I can think of a solution for.
I've also had everyone I've mentioned it to say I'm the first one to ask about this, so maybe I'm just blind.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You could probably take a file or emery cloth and scuff up the dip stick around the holes if you really wanted to-- but you'd want to be extra careful that you remove any loose bits of metal or dust before putting it back in the car.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 5, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I traded in my 18 hatch today, I’m so fed up with quality issues that I took the plunge and upgraded.

Getting my 2020 CX5 TURBO Saturday. gently caress me it has some balls.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Increasingly sure this car exists to spite me. Finally threw a warning light - stopped at a gas station, on starting it back up it threw a check engine, battery (alternator?), and power steering light all at once. Turned off and back on, went away. Didn't have a code reader on hand to check at the time.

Of course, dealerships have closed service as of today until Jan 10, because that's how the timing always works.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Picked up the new CX5 GT Turbo yesterday. The GT trim level between the '18 Mazda3 and this is hugely different, this feels like a genuine luxury vehicle.
Also the Mazdaconnect system is MUCH more responsive on this car for some reason, wonder if the computer was changed?

ventilated seats are magic.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

SkyeAuroline posted:

Increasingly sure this car exists to spite me. Finally threw a warning light - stopped at a gas station, on starting it back up it threw a check engine, battery (alternator?), and power steering light all at once. Turned off and back on, went away. Didn't have a code reader on hand to check at the time.

Of course, dealerships have closed service as of today until Jan 10, because that's how the timing always works.
Don't most chain auto parts stores read codes for free?

I have wanted a Mazda for years, probably a 6 or hatchback. I'm giant for 6'2" (I've sat in the 3 and it's more roomy than I thought it would be but not quite enough for max comfort)

I currently have a 2006 buick lacrosse I bought from my grandmother for 5k that had 27k miles at the time.
Up to 57k now, but I just kind of hate it and want infotainment and leather and a better ride.

I really wanted the new skyactive, but they're still testing in europe..?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Don't most chain auto parts stores read codes for free?

Yeah, I'm taking it to the Autozone right by my apartment to read codes/test the battery/alternator after work. They're decent folks here.

Just figures that I paid as much extra for the warranty as I did (edit: the whole reason I bought new this time was for a warranty, to clarify) and every single time a problem comes up both dealerships "can't reproduce", "can't do service" during an appointment scheduled specifically for that service because "none of the techs are here", or "we're closed for a month", for everything that isn't an oil change. Any time it would cover something, the excuses to just not even look at it so it doesn't get written down anywhere come out in force.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2020

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Escalated to corporate, because poo poo got worse over the course of today. Mazda corporate automatically records their calls but they'll hang up if you ask about it and don't say you won't do it yourself :thunk:
Verdict is a big fat "nobody knows". Battery, alternator, starter all tested normal with no issues. Meanwhile now the car really does NOT want to go over 2.5k RPMs, which is soft capping my speed below the safe speed of my commute route... Corporate, for their part, is going to try and get me in before the seasonal closure, but they didn't exactly give me anything to work with to schedule some time off. So we'll see how that pans out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's some bullshit.

Do you have access to an OBD2 reader?

Sounds like some sensor went haywire and now your ECU is locked in limp-home mode.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I don't. My father does, but holiday season overtime hell, might be able to get to him tomorrow. Autozone and the like love to pitch "we can only read codes when the light is on" even though that's not how scanners work nowadays. So... maybe more answers tomorrow? Giant pile of question marks.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Escalated to corporate, because poo poo got worse over the course of today. Mazda corporate automatically records their calls but they'll hang up if you ask about it and don't say you won't do it yourself :thunk:
Verdict is a big fat "nobody knows". Battery, alternator, starter all tested normal with no issues. Meanwhile now the car really does NOT want to go over 2.5k RPMs, which is soft capping my speed below the safe speed of my commute route... Corporate, for their part, is going to try and get me in before the seasonal closure, but they didn't exactly give me anything to work with to schedule some time off. So we'll see how that pans out.

Have you checked your battery connections?

I had a similar issue a few months back. Car was randomly throwing CEL and going into limp mode. It turned out residue on the battery terminal and a loose connection was the issue.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mexecan posted:

Have you checked your battery connections?

I had a similar issue a few months back. Car was randomly throwing CEL and going into limp mode. It turned out residue on the battery terminal and a loose connection was the issue.

Connections didn't look like they had an issue. Solid for sure on the negative, seemed solid on the positive. Could be a residue issue if it built up in between, I guess.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Connections didn't look like they had an issue. Solid for sure on the negative, seemed solid on the positive. Could be a residue issue if it built up in between, I guess.

Wouldn't hurt to pull the connections and check for any issues not immediately visible and clean the terminals/connectors with a wire brush or metal scrub pad while you're in there. If your car has a start/stop system or that iELOOP thing disconnect the ground sensor from the negative terminal cable before disconnecting the battery. I'm not sure if not doing that will really hurt anything but the service bulletins make it sound like not doing it imposes the risk of summoning Gozer the Gozerian into this plane of existence.

Also is there another Mazda dealership within range that you could try for a second opinion?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fabulousity posted:

Wouldn't hurt to pull the connections and check for any issues not immediately visible and clean the terminals/connectors with a wire brush or metal scrub pad while you're in there. If your car has a start/stop system or that iELOOP thing disconnect the ground sensor from the negative terminal cable before disconnecting the battery. I'm not sure if not doing that will really hurt anything but the service bulletins make it sound like not doing it imposes the risk of summoning Gozer the Gozerian into this plane of existence.

Also is there another Mazda dealership within range that you could try for a second opinion?

The stupid question thread has more updates (and more well meaning criticism from goons) on the situation. I'm limping it 45 miles across the state line on Monday because a dealership there has their poo poo together. This will be the "third" opinion, after the repeated could-not-replicate and the dealer who falsely reported service they didn't provide.

Mazda corporate support is a crock of poo poo with apparently no authority over their dealers considering the "best they can do" is "go back to the dealer that scammed you and filed false reports with us in two weeks, and if they file a truthful report this time then warranty will cover it, the fact your car is currently undrivable doesn't matter and we will not even slightly budge on a rental or loaner so you can keep your job, we have no control and can do nothing, also no the only system we have for escalating above call center drones is putting in a ticket with managers who say the same exact thing". Also six hour response times to time critical emails, can't even keep their dealers straight and got the wrong one put on the spot for an appointment physically not possible, and "I literally cannot take a call on my phone and cannot return calls for the next 8 hours" gets ignored for "here is a voicemail and only a callback number with no information besides".

Genuinely Mazda may well be the worst corporation I've ever dealt with for actually doing anything whatsoever.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

After looking over that thread I think they offered you the best course of action: Pursue getting a rental via Mazda of North America first and go total war via social media. Yes it'll require time and effort and no that is not fair but here we are. Mazda dealerships work on a franchise setup like most others and as a result "corporate" has limited direct control over the dealerships. The dealership's staffing problems are NOT your problems: They have to figure out how to compensate you.

After enough bad reviews and issues Mazda corporate can revoke the marquee from a lovely dealership and all the logistical support that would normally entail - This is where dragging the poo poo out of the dealership via social media or any surveys you get sent from Mazda corporate comes in. The surveys are an especially powerful way to inflict pain on the dealership so you ought to check your junk mail folder for any you missed and go to town on them.

Overall be cordial to Mazda corporate because at the end of the day they're the ones who can really plant a painful steel boot into the balls of the dealership. Record or don't record the calls, whatever, but at the end of the day Mazda of North America is who will fix this. But demand the rental, you deserve that at least.

For extra spice if you get rented something like a Nissan Sentra and they give you any sort of exit interview just gush about what a better car it was than any Mazda3. That'll get the folks in Long Beach and Hiroshima all wondering what the gently caress is going on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fabulousity posted:

After looking over that thread I think they offered you the best course of action: Pursue getting a rental via Mazda of North America first and go total war via social media. Yes it'll require time and effort and no that is not fair but here we are. Mazda dealerships work on a franchise setup like most others and as a result "corporate" has limited direct control over the dealerships. The dealership's staffing problems are NOT your problems: They have to figure out how to compensate you.

After enough bad reviews and issues Mazda corporate can revoke the marquee from a lovely dealership and all the logistical support that would normally entail - This is where dragging the poo poo out of the dealership via social media or any surveys you get sent from Mazda corporate comes in. The surveys are an especially powerful way to inflict pain on the dealership so you ought to check your junk mail folder for any you missed and go to town on them.

Overall be cordial to Mazda corporate because at the end of the day they're the ones who can really plant a painful steel boot into the balls of the dealership. Record or don't record the calls, whatever, but at the end of the day Mazda of North America is who will fix this. But demand the rental, you deserve that at least.

For extra spice if you get rented something like a Nissan Sentra and they give you any sort of exit interview just gush about what a better car it was than any Mazda3. That'll get the folks in Long Beach and Hiroshima all wondering what the gently caress is going on.

Yeah, still working on it. Turns out that the "supervisor" whose contact info they gave me is a dead number and any calls going to the corporate service center are getting auto-rejected as soon as I get through the prompts. Love it. They're open another hour and I've been trying every ~15-20 minutes for the past hour, no reason there should be no responses.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When something similar happened to me, I invoked the Mazda mobility guarantee and they drove a rental car to me and picked up the 3 for repairs on a flatbed. Didn't pay a dime.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

What model/year is this?

I had something similar happen to me at only 65k miles, almost every warning light came on and could not go over 2.5k RPMs in my 2014 CX5 - turned out it was a defective coil pack. Maybe it's the same issue with you.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Some Guy From NY posted:

What model/year is this?

I had something similar happen to me at only 65k miles, almost every warning light came on and could not go over 2.5k RPMs in my 2014 CX5 - turned out it was a defective coil pack. Maybe it's the same issue with you.

2018 3, 2.5L engine (so we have the same engine I believe). Worth keeping in mind, thanks. Still getting the no-sell from customer service, and a friend called in to make sure they weren't just rejecting my number; whole phone system went down last night it seems like.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

2018 3, 2.5L engine (so we have the same engine I believe). Worth keeping in mind, thanks. Still getting the no-sell from customer service, and a friend called in to make sure they weren't just rejecting my number; whole phone system went down last night it seems like.

Yes, we have the same engine. I almost guarantee it's going to end up being a bad coil pack. Dealer was able to diagnose and repair in a few hours. Cost was around $200 i think, but you should still be under warranty.

Good luck.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Some Guy From NY posted:

Yes, we have the same engine. I almost guarantee it's going to end up being a bad coil pack. Dealer was able to diagnose and repair in a few hours. Cost was around $200 i think, but you should still be under warranty.

Good luck.

Thanks. Even getting stonewalled on a rental or any form of intervention from corporate, at least managed to wrangle a month earlier to get it checked again, and by actual professionals this time around instead of the idiots at these dealerships.
Fingers crossed that it's the same cause and we can get this taken care of.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
My '16 3 Hatch appears to be developing a leak/bad seal somewhere in the rear window. When I open the hatch I get a few drops of water dripping down onto the parcel shelf. I can't see anything obviously wrong but the lil spoiler on the top at the back is over where I think the issue is.

What's the best way to go about getting this fixed? Doesn't feel like something any random mechanic/garage would be best equipped to deal with.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I arrive bearing updates...

she ded. Starter is entirely out; I have electrical power for lights but cannot even attempt to start the vehicle, regardless of jumps or battery charger use. The one helpful part of Mazda service ever, their roadside assistance, has actually pulled through and is getting me a 45 mile tow to the nearest dealership with an open service slot today, no charge. This is on top of everything else going on.

Thank God for warranties.

edit : i have no idea what I did but it's starting now and we're back on track.

e2 instead of double posting. "we can't replicate the problem" but will do the maintenance the last dealer skipped out on including throttle body cleaning. hell

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 21, 2020

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Well, today is the day!

Finally found a sucker to grab my Model 3 for an absurd price and giving Mazda a shot with a CX-5 Signature in Soul Red for a very good price. The interior is pretty loving great compared to the Tesla, dang.

Pretty jazzed, let's hope this is reflects better on my decision making abilities.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

Well, today is the day!

Finally found a sucker to grab my Model 3 for an absurd price and giving Mazda a shot with a CX-5 Signature in Soul Red for a very good price. The interior is pretty loving great compared to the Tesla, dang.

Pretty jazzed, let's hope this is reflects better on my decision making abilities.

I test drove a signature, it's a very nice car. wasn't worth the money for the 360 view camera though.

i had such a brain-fart moment with my CX-5, the infotainment display was staying on full brightness at all times, even at night-time and wouldn't switch to night-time unless manually changed in the settings.
I thought there was a light sensor issue or something...and then I turned down the instrument lights using the little knob and poof, problem solved. it was set to max brightness.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

I test drove a signature, it's a very nice car. wasn't worth the money for the 360 view camera though.

i had such a brain-fart moment with my CX-5, the infotainment display was staying on full brightness at all times, even at night-time and wouldn't switch to night-time unless manually changed in the settings.
I thought there was a light sensor issue or something...and then I turned down the instrument lights using the little knob and poof, problem solved. it was set to max brightness.

Indeed, initially was going for one trim under with the turbo, but they had that one one the lot and knocked out most of the difference between what I had already haggled for and that one, and they threw in the hitch, all weather mats and poo poo. We're going back in heavy lockdown Thursday for at least two weeks, likely more, and they seemed desperate as they won't get any sales for as long as that goes on., so yay for me.

And yeah, that 360 camera is dog poo poo lol.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

Indeed, initially was going for one trim under with the turbo, but they had that one one the lot and knocked out most of the difference between what I had already haggled for and that one, and they threw in the hitch, all weather mats and poo poo. We're going back in heavy lockdown Thursday for at least two weeks, likely more, and they seemed desperate as they won't get any sales for as long as that goes on., so yay for me.

And yeah, that 360 camera is dog poo poo lol.

oh if you got all the extras thrown in that's not so bad, i suppose the reverse sensors are pretty nice too.
but goddamn does that turbo have some oomph. coming from a Mazda3 with the non-turbo 2.5 this thing is WAY faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Gros Tarla posted:

Well, today is the day!

Congratulations from a fellow Soul Red Signature owner!
When I first heard of the chocolate seats and black headliner, I didn't really care. Now I love both.