Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t breadtube just wishful thinking by internet posters writing erotic friendfiction about their favorite youtube channels? It’s true insofar as people know each other and collaborate, plus have some prominent self-declared enemies in common, but I don’t think it was ever a branding thing or some kind of deliberate effort, though I don’t really follow many of the more narrowly political communists/anarchists who don’t do scripts or jokes.

I always just took it as like a descriptor for people who make similar good stuff. Asking for like collaborations or shootouts or anything beyond 'If you like Shaun's videos you might also enjoy Dan Olson or Lindsay Ellis' videos too' wasn't something I was ever expecting personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Mark Baume's culture cruise talks about the titular character Roseanne getting kissed by gay people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUO8lJcXavA

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

When I first saw Matty Matheson on Munchies I had quite a visceral dislike of him, like OH GOD he's trying too hard and all that poo poo. Then I actually watched his vids and now I absolutely freaking love the guy.

yeah Matty Matheson is a representation of how some Canadians are. sometimes we just turn out like that, effortlessly

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t breadtube just wishful thinking by internet posters writing erotic friendfiction about their favorite youtube channels? It’s true insofar as people know each other and collaborate, plus have some prominent self-declared enemies in common, but I don’t think it was ever a branding thing or some kind of deliberate effort, though I don’t really follow many of the more narrowly political communists/anarchists who don’t do scripts or jokes.
I think Breadtube was a hope that there could be a serious contender to the RW/Fash propaganda on youtube

Anyone watch the Chip and Voidburger stream last night? They raised nearly 15k for bailfunds for protestors

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the extremely loose creator community that became known as breadtubers originated in making response videos to prominent right-wing figures like thunderfoot and aurini but started leaning into more constructive media and broad political criticism from what I understand because they realized featuring these people was creating a feedback loop and inadvertently increasing their renown and popularity. there's a handful of destiny-adjacent people considered breadtubers who still do it though and generally they court the most controversy of any of them.

it's a descriptive label but not the most useful one. there was a common initial call to action but they've all taken their own roads and have their own individual strengths, weaknesses, and sometimes major issues.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
As fun as it is seeing people get dunked on, it's just not good content at the end of the day. You're not gonna convince these people to stop being fashy shits, they're either deep in the grift or just terminally in ride or die for it until they receive a swift kick to the head, and it's all the same bloodsports poo poo again and again and again, easy to churn out and utterly devoid of meaning.

Also you get bellends like Vaush who really need to go gently caress off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The point of dunking on people isn't to make them look dumb, it's to show how and why they're wrong, how their bullshit can be countered and what the truth is. The problems come when bigger channels bring up some smaller idiot apropos of nothing and give them a hundred times more eyeballs than they'd be getting normally.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For me the fun of online debates always has been to show what peoples ideas are and their thought process in arriving at those ideas. Destiny and to a lesser extent Vaush are good at asking questions and proposing hypotheticals to test a persons ideas and thought process.

Of course, once you realize that a persons thought process is simplistic or based on falsehoods, then you dunk.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of the Cinemassacre guys really likes Gengars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsExkXeu_qA

Understandable, as it is easily in the top percentage of pokemons

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Jack Saint did a video on Space Jam. Even if its difficult for me to take his over-analysis of things seriously, its still interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsChSd-utk

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I wonder how the loose Breadtube group or whatever secretly feels when one of them drops a nuke-level hot take on Twitter about revolutions that ratios not only himself but everyone else and essentially ruins everyone's god drat weekend?

(This is basically a tweet on here instead of Twitter because people who follow me would largely not get it)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Violence is just going to par for the course. Those who have power will not let go of it willingly. Most anarchists don't want or look forward to the violence but they all see it as a preamble, not the actual revolution itself. The best I've seen it described, at least the way that stuck with me, is Berkman called it "rolling up your sleeves for work." The revolution being the work you do while the violence is the thing you do before you get started.

In current events, the violence was thrust upon us by the state and those who hold the levers of power.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are we subtweeting now

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Come and tweet the violence inherent in the system

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
but why is it called breadtube

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Why do I read this thread?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Pigbuster posted:

but why is it called breadtube

Because the subreddit where the term originated was r/breadtube, named after The Conquest of Bread by Kropotkin (a 19th century anarchist).

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

Because the subreddit where the term originated was r/breadtube, named after The Conquest of Bread by Kropotkin (a 19th century anarchist).

Oh I thought it was because of the inevitable breadlines.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
How would a tube of bread even work? Preposterous.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

So breadtube is anarchists on youtube?

I've seen the term before (almost always in threads like this) but I still don't know exactly who we're talking about here

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

How would a tube of bread even work? Preposterous.

The following might disturb you

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1322735307377160194?s=19

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1322940022639730689?s=19

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

FuturePastNow posted:

So breadtube is anarchists on youtube?

I've seen the term before (almost always in threads like this) but I still don't know exactly who we're talking about here

Keep in mind again that it's a term used entirely by the fanbase to describe a group of left leaning youtubers. There's no actual thing as 'breadtube' and a lot of the youtubers described as such have said they wish people would stop using that word as it's started grouping a lot of people together when even when they have no relationship with the others outside of being kinda leftish.

A few weeks (or maybe month or two? What is time?) someone was harassing Shannon Strucci because she hadn't publicly denounced Contrapoints despite Shannon having literally no relationship with Natalie in any way shape or form. Regardless of your opinion of Natalie, the idea that someone completely unrelated who they have basically never interacted with and definitely never worked together is somehow responsible for Contra's actions is ridiculous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ty for your important tweet documentation.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best thing about breadtube is that it's allowed me to manually force the algorithm to recommend me good videos, by watching things recommended by the Breadtube "community". I still get alt- right and edgelord poo poo (mostly from watching mp4 dog meme videos! who knew???) but it's considerably better then it used to be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I went looking a bit more, assuming there'd be a 'please stop diving in front of insults that weren't aimed at you and then getting irate about it' or 'guys I'm talking about Qanon/ illuminati/ Rahowa people's post but he just strolls past it like fruitcake in a supermarket and posts about how he hosed up his arm really bad. So, :shrug:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuib18VEh-U

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Isn’t Dan Olsen that contrarian fin critic guy.

Why would anyone care what he thinks about politics.

Might as well ask movie bob his opinion

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I like Dan Olson's videos well enough but his posts here and on twitter frequently show that he really benefits from putting in the time to write and edit a script before giving his thoughts on something. When he's just typing up something off the cuff he puts his foot in his mouth frequently.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not sure "Suicide Squad, The Snowman and Book of Henry were bad" qualifies as contrarian

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not sure "Suicide Squad, The Snowman and Book of Henry were bad" qualifies as contrarian

Fine film critic guy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rich white guy says revolution is bad, in other news grass continues to grow and be green.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Oh I thought it was because of the inevitable breadlines.

I have never got why people complain about breadlines, America could use way way more breadlines. I guess the implication is if you don’t have lines poor people don’t exist?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

no matter how necessary violence is it should not be pursued with a desire for it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sydin posted:

Rich white guy says revolution is bad, in other news grass continues to grow and be green.

Not defending Dan's take but uh, Dan is rich?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

no matter how necessary violence is it should not be pursued with a desire for it.

would you like me to time warp you to revolutionary haiti so you can tell them this, i'm sure they would find it a very valuable opinion

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

It may have bad actual consequences, but it's stupid to try to shame people for wanting a visceral comeuppance for the people killing them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

would you like me to time warp you to revolutionary haiti so you can tell them this, i'm sure they would find it a very valuable opinion
yeah go for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

are we subtweeting now

There is a level beyond subtweeting. Today the infratweet was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The year is 202X. Every post on Something Awful Forums is a repost of a tweet or a reply to tweet to be reposted on twitter.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think that's a good comparison because Moviebob has the exact opposite take on yearning for violence :v: