Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

wait what? how?

The relentless advance of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I am watching Devil's Due, which is one of those TNG episodes that feels like rewritten TOS script, down to a scene where the hot alien devil lady shows up in Picard's room and the only thing I can think during that sequence is how Kirk would already be tapping that rear end.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

side_burned posted:

So I am watching Devil's Due, which is one of those TNG episodes that feels like rewritten TOS script, down to a scene where the hot alien devil lady shows up in Picard's room and the only thing I can think during that sequence is how Kirk would already be tapping that rear end.

That’s because it’s exactly that. Well, a Phase II script with the TNG cast find-and-replaced in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's a fun episode. Probably better that it was for TNG and not Phase 2 since the transformation effect would probably not look too great if it had been done in the 70s as planned.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"To save an alien world Captain Picard must make love to the devil herself. Next time on Staaaaar Trek: The Next Generation."

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Okay, Profit and Lace was bad. I knew that going in, and it delivered. But nobody told me that the very next episode (Time's Orphan) might be even stupider.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like Time's Orphan is just generally forgotten but it's an odd episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time makes orphans of us all

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

"To save an alien world Captain Picard must make love to the devil herself. Next time on Staaaaar Trek: The Next Generation."

I love that loving Dragon Ball Z style promo voiceover guy they had for TNG.

"CAN CAPTAIN PICARD PUNCH A HOLE IN THE SUN TO SAVE GEORDI?! FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON STAAAAAAAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lester Shy posted:

Okay, Profit and Lace was bad. I knew that going in, and it delivered. But nobody told me that the very next episode (Time's Orphan) might be even stupider.

Time's Orphan is bad but since it's right after Profit and Lace it gets overlooked.

Though, you've now hit the last two truly bad episodes of DS9, congratulations. Some of the stuff in 7 isn't great but it never gets that lovely again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I like Time's Orphan fine. It's not a standout episode but I don't think it's terrible. I like all the "O'Brien Must Suffer" episodes, and he gets to say "bollocks" on TV and the American network folks didn't realize it's a swear, so that's funny.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Time's Orphan was apparently first pitched as a TNG story to write out Alexander - and that would have made a lot more sense. It's very easy to picture Worf deciding there's no other alternative but to abandon his child alone on a distant planet - but it seems a bit out of character for O'Brien.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Has Star Trek ever introduced a child character and not regretted it besides Jake/Nog?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Naomi Wildman was okay I guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, she wasn't particularly annoying and her interactions with Seven were often fun.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Given the current state of Doctor Who and of Star Trek, I'd be hard pressed to say one approach is better than the other. Non-fans who don't get it vs. fans who don't get it, doesn't seem to be much of a distinction, to me.

Even if you don't like Nu-Who, you can't deny it's internationaly more popular than ever and more mainstream. When I was a kid in the 80s DW was the Nerd's Nerd obscure fandom in the US. I will never forget how surreal it was when mainstream news outlets here were breathlessly reporting on the casting of a new Doctor or merch was in non-comicbook stores since the revival. That isn't of itself a banner of quality, but it shows that continuity doesn't turn off casual or new fans.

Also while some episodes have been horrible, and the current state of the plotting is...questionable, some of the best moments in the series have been under RTD and Moffat, like the anniversary or Hell Bent. And they are not afraid of the past. I mean poo poo, in Capadi's last season they brought back the oldest Cybermen designs and made them work somehow in the modern era, whereas DISCO wouldn't touch the actal look of 60s Trek with a 10 foot pole. Last time they dared to do that in Trek was Relics and Trials and Tribblations.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, she wasn't particularly annoying and her interactions with Seven were often fun.

the rest of the borg children were OK as well while they were around

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've watched Voyager but I literally can't remember anything about the Borg kids except they existed and one was named Icheb. I think Icheb wanted to be Starfleet and was doing Wesley field commission stuff?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Grand Fromage posted:

I've watched Voyager but I literally can't remember anything about the Borg kids except they existed and one was named Icheb. I think Icheb wanted to be Starfleet and was doing Wesley field commission stuff?

They were in like 4 episodes before Janeway sold all of them except Icheb to a passing trader for dilithum.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

Even if you don't like Nu-Who, you can't deny it's internationaly more popular than ever and more mainstream. When I was a kid in the 80s DW was the Nerd's Nerd obscure fandom in the US. I will never forget how surreal it was when mainstream news outlets here were breathlessly reporting on the casting of a new Doctor or merch was in non-comicbook stores since the revival. That isn't of itself a banner of quality, but it shows that continuity doesn't turn off casual or new fans.

Also while some episodes have been horrible, and the current state of the plotting is...questionable, some of the best moments in the series have been under RTD and Moffat, like the anniversary or Hell Bent. And they are not afraid of the past. I mean poo poo, in Capadi's last season they brought back the oldest Cybermen designs and made them work somehow in the modern era, whereas DISCO wouldn't touch the actal look of 60s Trek with a 10 foot pole. Last time they dared to do that in Trek was Relics and Trials and Tribblations.

The original Cybermen designs were full-on body horror, and Capaldi’s last season did them justice. Hell, season 10 in general was pretty fantastic.

Enterprise did something similar with the Tholians. They were terrifying and otherworldly in TOS, and they were freaky we gently caress when Enterprise brought them back. Especially with the squealing robotic communications they used before they showed their faces.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Astroman posted:

Uh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Time makes orphans of us all

They say time is the orphan in which we burn

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fair enough, but's still from basicslly the same era of Bermaga Trek.

HD DAD posted:

The original Cybermen designs were full-on body horror, and Capaldi’s last season did them justice. Hell, season 10 in general was pretty fantastic.

Enterprise did something similar with the Tholians. They were terrifying and otherworldly in TOS, and they were freaky we gently caress when Enterprise brought them back. Especially with the squealing robotic communications they used before they showed their faces.

Thing with the Tenth Planet designs is that they were body horror, but the show moved quickly away from that into more sleek robotic designs, constantly modernizing them. Old School fans appreciated the original designs as being still horrifying, but I think before the Capaldi ep, if you showed them to most current viewers they'd laugh them off as a clunky 60s low budget design. It took a lot of guts (and showrunner power) to bring them back almost 1:1, including the voices. I think they just slightly reduced the chestpiece by like 10% in size and had them wear gloves, which was necessary to not spoil the Bill Potts reveal.

New Trek can't help but upgrade everything when they bring it back, like the Tellerites and Androrians, where they couldn't even be bothered to use the more modern Enterprise makeup. They couldn't even resist it with the Talosians, and in effect lost the impact of the original design.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is Probert the one who did the NX-01 refit idea

Probert was way earlier: he did a lot of the 1701 refit, including being mainly responsible the art deco elements IIRC, and designed the Enterprise-D and most of season 1 of TNG, including things like the Romulan Warbird, as well as a lot of the Enterprise-D interiors like the Bridge. He was basically off TNG after season one or two.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

I won't deny that I enjoyed some parts of the new show when I was watching it, even in the RTD years. I just couldn't take the roller coaster of having a couple of really great episodes per season, surrounded by the irredeemable trash of the rest of them. But for the most part it lacked essential qualities I enjoyed about the old show, and I eventually decided it wasn't worth punishing myself that much in order to get what it was giving me, so it's in that sense I compared it to the current Star Trek shows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Probert was way earlier: he did a lot of the 1701 refit, including being mainly responsible the art deco elements IIRC, and designed the Enterprise-D and most of season 1 of TNG, including things like the Romulan Warbird, as well as a lot of the Enterprise-D interiors like the Bridge. He was basically off TNG after season one or two.

He was not invited back after the first season. He's pretty notoriously cantankerous and he and Berman got along like oil and water.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

There are a few people who I've spoken with off the record Mike Okuda is a big one who have said that Probert was a giant pain in the rear end to deal with on TNG. Sternbach has also had some less than fond words for him. But there's no denying that his design work was above reproach and I loving hate that ILM and later John Eaves became the god kings of Trek ship design.

I'm not surprised at all, I mean he basically admits he threw a tantrum over recycling the Star Trek 3 mushroom-starbase footage for 11001001. Like dude yeah I get that it's silly, but when the producers say there's no money to do a new model, just swallow it and move on.

His proposed design sketches for a different shot of docking the Enterprise-D are just... man, I like the idea, but even with the two-footer model that would have been enormously complicated and expensive.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

speaking of Eaves, is there anything known about his departure beyond what's in Memory Alpha and what not? The Discoprise is pretty obviously different for no real story reason, so his initial statement that the CBS-Paramount split had led to a "had to be 25% different" copyright requirement made sense... which was then squashed by CBS and Eaves seemingly ejected from Star Trek over it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

He was not invited back after the first season. He's pretty notoriously cantankerous and he and Berman got along like oil and water.

He is still to this day seething mad about the Galaxy-X redesign from All Good Things.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crusader posted:

speaking of Eaves, is there anything known about his departure beyond what's in Memory Alpha and what not? The Discoprise is pretty obviously different for no real story reason, so his initial statement that the CBS-Paramount split had led to a "had to be 25% different" copyright requirement made sense... which was then squashed by CBS and Eaves seemingly ejected from Star Trek over it.

Eaves' involvement in Trek had been slowing for quite some time (as I recall, he only did a few minor prop designs for the Kelvin movies) and I think he was just a casualty of the clusterfuck that was Discovery's first season. I'm pretty sure he's a lead designer on Picard, though (which would explain why everything in that show looks like hot garbage).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusader posted:

My understanding is that that was always a misunderstanding, possibly partly on the part of him or possibly by whoever reported the story. Really what happened is that production said 'look, can you take the Enterprise and modernise it and change it up a bit, alter it about 25%' and somewhere along the line that got confused with a legal obligation.

I suspect that he wasn't so much ejected as was never part of the core internal design team and they just preferred to stick with their own people as time went on, but that's speculation.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Any word on the Star Trek kid’s show that Nickelodeon is making? I’m pretty sure they were the channel that had a live action space show in the 90’s that young me saw as a children’s version of Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

shadowvine118 posted:

Any word on the Star Trek kid’s show that Nickelodeon is making? I’m pretty sure they were the channel that had a live action space show in the 90’s that young me saw as a children’s version of Trek.
Janeway is going to appear as a recurring character

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

shadowvine118 posted:

They announced last month that Kate Mulgrew would be coming back for it as Janeway. The details are still fairly fuzzy at this time but it sounds like it's a show about a group of Starfleet cadets (maybe), who find themselves in command of a starship somehow, and Janeway factors into it as a recurring character, possibly as a mentor figure of some sort. So basically like Red Squadron and the USS Valiant from DS9, only hopefully without all the war crimes, insanity, and everyone dying. But we'll see.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

shadowvine118 posted:

We have a title (Star Trek: Prodigy), a premise (a group of rebellious teenagers go exploring with an abandoned starship), one casting announcement (Mulgrew as Janeway) and a logo:

And, yes, Space Cases aired on Nickelodeon in the mid-'90s.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Kind of reminds me of Hypernauts.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery: sounds good at first, but then you realize it never finds a central theme and just meanders around

The song is definitely good, but the intro falls exactly into the typical convention of big budget, prestige intros of this era. Quick cuts of disparate images from a related theme. Also see the intros for Walking Dead, True Blood, Da Vinci's Demons, Penny Dreadful, True Detective

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

The relentless advance of time.

time to slingshot around the sun I guess

I have zero memory of this.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 2, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In A Mirror, Darkly is a great two parter and actually has an impact on future Trek series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

In A Mirror, Darkly is a great two parter and actually has an impact on future Trek series

It's also got the best opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA