Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I've played Factorio, Satisfactory & Mindustry, and enjoyed them all. Shapez.io, too, for a little while. In a similar vein, I liked the physics in Oxygen Not Included - manipulating liquids & gasses & vacuums, and making all these machines work together to e.g. cool your base oxygen supply, or melt oil into petroleum.

Can anyone suggest anything else I might like? Factorio's a little on the expansive side (but only a little - it's more decision paralysis than anything else) to my taste, for reference.

(e) couple things I didn't care for: the Duplicants themselves in ONI, or dealing with biters in Factorio. In it for the mechanisms more than the people, I guess

Check out Spacechem, I think it kickstarted the genre.

Edit:

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh!

Have you tried Slime Rancher?

So, I tried it! It's pretty charming, but it feels weirdly light weight compared to games like Stardew Valley since there aren't as many systems to engage with. Nice for plonking away at slimes in 20 minute sessions every couple days though.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You are right that the game at vanilla settings is absolutely poo poo. Like, it would have to literally be your full time job to accomplish anything notable. BUT once you up the rates like the previous poster suggested, you can bypass all of that. Then it becomes about exploring pretty areas with dinosaurs in them, and taming/riding the dinosaurs. The open world nature and the ability to recruit dinos is what made the game appealing to me. Particularly appealing is stumbling across a new dino and figuring out what its deal is, just bein like "what the gently caress is THAT" and then you can tame that thing and it can do something useful for you, like for example certain dinos can chop down trees super fast or get a lot of rocks from stone sources.

I may give this a try and just play it modded, thanks.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

I've played Factorio, Satisfactory & Mindustry, and enjoyed them all. Shapez.io, too, for a little while. In a similar vein, I liked the physics in Oxygen Not Included - manipulating liquids & gasses & vacuums, and making all these machines work together to e.g. cool your base oxygen supply, or melt oil into petroleum.

Can anyone suggest anything else I might like? Factorio's a little on the expansive side (but only a little - it's more decision paralysis than anything else) to my taste, for reference.

(e) couple things I didn't care for: the Duplicants themselves in ONI, or dealing with biters in Factorio. In it for the mechanisms more than the people, I guess

There is Gunsmith where you make factory production lines to produce gun, so you get like cloth and stuff and turn it to lining, to combine it with plastic you heated up so that it's "moldable" to make a thing that eventually turns into a left glove. It's poo poo like that, samething as factorio where you build copper into copper wire, into circuit boards to make red science kind of thing. I played this in very early access, and there was only like 3 guns and it was still super fun.

There is also Big Pharma which has the added benefit of a management layer where you try to get your meds sold off for being the perfect thing. I've not played this one, but it's one I've wanted to try.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ciaphas posted:

Workers and Resources is a city building game, but has lots of systems, logistics and production planning.
Industries of Titan might be worth keeping eye on. Also a city builder, but you can go into buildings and ships and build various rooms and devices inside, and what you build determines the function of the whole building/ship. Still very early access tho.

The Zachtronics programming games are also very satisfying if you have a bad case of engineer brain - TIS-100, SHENZEN I/O, Exapunks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have engineer-brain, problem is I exercise it for 40 a week :v: so most of the Zach games don't stick. Opus Magnum's great though

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions - Industries of Titan is especially neat-sounding, I'll have a look at the others :cheers:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ciaphas posted:

I have engineer-brain, problem is I exercise it for 40 a week :v: so most of the Zach games don't stick. Opus Magnum's great though

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions - Industries of Titan is especially neat-sounding, I'll have a look at the others :cheers:

You can ask in the Management Games Megathread. I would recommend Factory Town and Autonauts. Astroneer is pretty chill, not as complex, but they just added a ton of automation for late game so that might work for you.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Have you ever tried dwarf fortress?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
For all that the UI is impenetrable, the actual gameplay and logistics tree of Dwarf Fortress is way simpler than Factorio's. Unless you get really deep into fluid and/or power dynamics, maybe, and they're both completely optional anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For all that the UI is impenetrable, the actual gameplay and logistics tree of Dwarf Fortress is way simpler than Factorio's. Unless you get really deep into fluid and/or power dynamics, maybe, and they're both completely optional anyways.
If they didn't like dealing with the Duplicants in ONI, I can't imagine a fortress full of manic-depressive alcoholics is going to have much appeal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah DF is firmly in the "i hate playing it, but Boatmurdered was funny" camp :v:

Autonauts I tried for a while, but I saw the grindy boring parts written on the wall pretty fast and don't feel much urge to pick it back up. Astroneer I played with a couple friends when the automation update came out - fun game for co-op, that - and Factory Town I have to go look up

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

no one's mentioned factory town yet?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ciaphas posted:

I'm fond of Big Pharma. Also these guys might be of help: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901789

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ciaphas posted:

yeah DF is firmly in the "i hate playing it, but Boatmurdered was funny" camp :v:

Autonauts I tried for a while, but I saw the grindy boring parts written on the wall pretty fast and don't feel much urge to pick it back up. Astroneer I played with a couple friends when the automation update came out - fun game for co-op, that - and Factory Town I have to go look up

For Autonauts (and I should have mentioned this) get the mod that gets rid of recharging, that helps the game play a ton. Factory Town I also should have mentioned :) is in EA. So he's changing stuff weekly, however he's in near constant engagement with players on the Discord and I've really liked all the changes so far. He just added a campaign as well and victory conditions for those of you who like that kind of thing.

I'll be streaming Factory Town this Wednesday at 3pm Pacific. I stream sporadically at best, so no requests for subs or anything like that. I stream as Mayveena.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

This might be a stretch, but does anyone remember a black and white misery simulator from a few years back? I recall it was this niche indie free game that won some game jam award. You picked a character then had to RP them trying to survive and make something of their dire circumstances. Some of the basic gameplay involved going to a job and typing in various phrases describing what your character was supposed to be doing.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Ciaphas posted:

Blueprint Tycoon
Ironically, I've never made my own blueprints, I'm not sure if they even worked correctly when I played it years ago. The remaining parts of the game work without tinkering with them, you get a default BP for every building and I just used those. It is 3$ and imho worth it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

concise posted:

This might be a stretch, but does anyone remember a black and white misery simulator from a few years back? I recall it was this niche indie free game that won some game jam award. You picked a character then had to RP them trying to survive and make something of their dire circumstances. Some of the basic gameplay involved going to a job and typing in various phrases describing what your character was supposed to be doing.

Cart Life?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

concise posted:

that game? Posting.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

That’s the one, thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's the best way to play Persona 1 and Persona 2, including :filez: and romhacks?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

What's the best way to play Persona 1 and Persona 2, including :filez: and romhacks?

Imho, PSP for 1 and 2: Innocent Sin. 2: Eternal Punishment is still kinda hosed by the PSX being the only translation that I know of.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Imho, PSP for 1 and 2: Innocent Sin. 2: Eternal Punishment is still kinda hosed by the PSX being the only translation that I know of.
No fanslations?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PMush Perfect posted:

No fanslations?

There's someone working on one on and off, but it's alongside a few other projects, namely Fate/Extra CCC which takes up much more uh, work time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

On a similar note, is the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics the PSP version with the fan patch? I've heard the phone port is good but I'm not playing that on a phone.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

On a similar note, is the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics the PSP version with the fan patch? I've heard the phone port is good but I'm not playing that on a phone.

The phone port is indeed good and plays really well on touch screen. Frankly, the game holds up better as a quick session here and there thing; the phone is probably my favorite iteration of the game yet.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I was wondering recently, are there any good takes on auto-runner genre? I've been playing some DKC games and, especially in the newer ones, I still absolutely love minecart and rocket barrel stages. Are there any games that did something similar, but, like, for the entire game? The only series I know of is Runner, and can't say I'm the biggest fan.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Vookatos posted:

I was wondering recently, are there any good takes on auto-runner genre? I've been playing some DKC games and, especially in the newer ones, I still absolutely love minecart and rocket barrel stages. Are there any games that did something similar, but, like, for the entire game? The only series I know of is Runner, and can't say I'm the biggest fan.

Not exactly what you described, but have you played the Rayman games? Legends and Origins both have great running levels that are synced to music, and cannot be recommended enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I really wish that they would make auto runner games for like metroid and Mega man

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vookatos posted:

You mean like bit-trip runner and geometry dash?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I really wish that they would make auto runner games for like metroid and Mega man

Mecha-Tokyo Rush is a Mega Man-ish autorunner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Temple Run still mostly holds up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Can someone recommend me the best paid idle/clicker game on steam? I can't decide between EF: Reclaiming the World or Idle Evolution and want to know if there's something better. I want it to be paid so I can just buy it and then work on finishing it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can someone recommend me the best paid idle/clicker game on steam? I can't decide between EF: Reclaiming the World or Idle Evolution and want to know if there's something better. I want it to be paid so I can just buy it and then work on finishing it.

I like Idle Wizard a lot. Wait, you said *paid*. I don't... know what you mean? You can finish free idle clickers.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Potentially https://store.steampowered.com/app/893850/THE_LONGING/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a two-player co-op FPS. Preferably one not with AI companions. (I don't want it to be a 4 player game that gives you 2 AI companions if playing with just 2 players.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a two-player co-op FPS. Preferably one not with AI companions. (I don't want it to be a 4 player game that gives you 2 AI companions if playing with just 2 players.)

Arma 3

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

Gunfire Reborn 👍🏻

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Borderlands

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Killing Floor (1 is janky, but simpler, and has a scrappy charm. 2 is probably the better game, but the charm feels more... manufactured.)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

Gunfire Reborn 👍🏻

Seconding this, it's excellent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mordiceius posted:

Deep Rock Galactic. It's 4 player but there are not A.I. companions, and the game is extremely playable with two people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

This, but make sure you get the hack that puts the PSX music back into the PSP version. YMMV, but I vastly preferred the old music to the new stuff.