Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

The new Kingdom Hearts/Star Trek crossover looking good

Star Trek: 946/2 Years Final Chapter Prologue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has Disco ever shown the jump with the camera following the ship, so instead of the ship seeing to do a flip, the universe twists around Discovery?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Has Disco ever shown the jump with the camera following the ship, so instead of the ship seeing to do a flip, the universe twists around Discovery?

I'm pretty sure they did that once or twice in the first season. No idea what episodes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't make a lot of sense, however, it does seem like Earth doesn't really have ships anymore? They had those weapons platform things but I have no idea if those can even leave orbit.

They talked about how their ships were being raided. The episode just really really needs us to accept that Earth psychologically has decided not to ever go beyond orbit for the story to work. So internally consistent, just dumb.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's just like... we have the loving means to talk to the outer planets right now. It'd take a while but good God. Like even if someone cut the oceanic internet cables I'm pretty sure we could still like, radio to other countries. You can see loving jupiter or whatever with a drat telescope.

It'd be a really annoying Skype call but regular rear end radio waves can get there in an hour. Impulse speed is supposedly like .25C so that's also like a 4 hour drive. It'd be like the phone lines going down so you just lock your doors and write off your cousin in the next town over.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not apologia, but

Bad sense of scale in literally every way, in MY Star Trek?

:monocle:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Not apologia, but

I'm sure Bernd Schneider is writing some giant article about it for Ex Astris Scientia as we speak, and/or throwing something heavy at the closest wall in a fit of nerdrage.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Even if they want to be only Earth-centric isolationist, they really should have a sensor grid around Sol to detect any incoming ships or potential threats. It really makes no strategic sense.

But on the other hand people and states do things that make no sense all the time. In this story, Earth is the one with one side black and the other side white.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

xerxus posted:

In this story, Earth is the one with one side black and the other side white.

Earth has always been this tbh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sure Bernd Schneider is writing some giant article about it for Ex Astris Scientia as we speak, and/or throwing something heavy at the closest wall in a fit of nerdrage.

A few months ago I decided to take a look at EAS' page source because I couldn't wrap my head around Bernd not using a CMS in TYOOL 2020.

Sweet Jesus, my eyes bled. The code reads like it was written by a deranged madman and there are HTML tags in there that were deprecated like 15 years ago.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

A few months ago I decided to take a look at EAS' page source because I couldn't wrap my head around Bernd not using a CMS in TYOOL 2020.

Sweet Jesus, my eyes bled. The code reads like it was written by a deranged madman and there are HTML tags in there that were deprecated like 15 years ago.

Some weird part of me and my OCD-addled brain actually kind of appreciates the rigid visual and formatting consistency of EAS. It has been regularly updating with content for the past 20 years and it STILL looks and reads the same as it did the day Enterprise went off the air in 2005.

It's just a shame that for as detail-oriented and informative as he is, Bernd is kind of a whackadoodle at times.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 1, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's just a shame that for as detail-oriented and informative as he is, Bernd is kind of a whackadoodle at times.
Goes with the territory

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

Not apologia, but

I could have tolerated all the other execrable stuff in that Star Trek: Legacy game on the Xbox 360 for the novelty of being able to hear every star trek captain to that point phoning in some VA for some dumb memory theta level plot, but the scale of ships to planets was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Technological inconsistency is kind of baked into Star Trek.

Why is this an argument?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

apatheticman posted:

Technological inconsistency is kind of baked into Star Trek.

Why is this an argument?

Because the story was sufficiently good that we can all snipe at lore bullshit.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

teamcharlie posted:

Side note: assuming that the time crystals' defense mechanism is showing you your own death/disfigurement, I don't see that as a super good deterrent to some warlike Klingon coming in and stealing them. "Woah. If I steal this time crystal I die on fire riding an anti-matter warhead into one of Earth's major continents and blowing Starfleet to poo poo? gently caress yes! Sto-vo-kor here I come, baybeee!"

"The klingons can master time and space but don't because of religious reasons I guess...?"

Easily one of the worst things in all of trek as well as any show to ever exist.

G-III fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 1, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I could have tolerated all the other execrable stuff in that Star Trek: Legacy game on the Xbox 360 for the novelty of being able to hear every star trek captain to that point phoning in some VA for some dumb memory theta level plot, but the scale of ships to planets was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

One day Klingon Academy will find its way to Gog.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sucks that all of those Activision ST games are stuck in legal hell and will probably not get re-released

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm actually a little surprised that the few actual Trek games published by Simon and Schuster Interactive - Star Trek: Klingon, Star Trek: Borg, DS9: The Fallen, Dominion Wars, and...Starship Creator - haven't been rereleased digitally yet. S&SI was a subsidiary of a Viacom subsidiary, so it should theoretically be easier to track down the rights than it would for the Interplay, Activision, or Microprose titles. Perhaps it's another situation where the opportunity is there but the will on the part of Viacom is not.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They should just gather the TNG cast to make 'Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (TNG)'. They'll be up the for voice acting and that and 'A Final Unity' are genuinely good games. ... well, except for some of the 'die for a decision you made several hours ago' bits of Unity'.

e: Disco Elysium sold like hotcakes. You just write up a mystery plot episode and then use that formula, except instead of interior voices it's the crew offering different opinions and options.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 2, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sucks that all of those Activision ST games are stuck in legal hell and will probably not get re-released

I'm hoping CBS eventually does what Disney did with the LucasArts games. They've been slowly pulling all the disparate Star Trek copyrights back under their umbrella like Disney did with Star Wars, and then one day Disney just announced they were putting all the LucasArts games on Steam and GOG. Because god, I'd love to be able to play, and more importantly mod Bridge Commander again on a modern operating system.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'd really like to play the Borg FMV game and Birth of the Federation in a native resolution without having to jump through a ton of hoops

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed the combat in the SNES / Sega games. So much young me dove into A Final Unity and was like Wtf?
The Sega game also did a really good job with its “lore” in that the computer almost had a technical manual on all the ships, cultures, and species. Good stuff. Wish they’d make more.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

I'm actually a little surprised that the few actual Trek games published by Simon and Schuster Interactive - Star Trek: Klingon, Star Trek: Borg, DS9: The Fallen, Dominion Wars, and...Starship Creator - haven't been rereleased digitally yet. S&SI was a subsidiary of a Viacom subsidiary, so it should theoretically be easier to track down the rights than it would for the Interplay, Activision, or Microprose titles. Perhaps it's another situation where the opportunity is there but the will on the part of Viacom is not.
I remember that I had to stop trying to play Dominion Wars because that game was broken as all hell. It wasn't a bad game but you can look at the reviews on the Wikipedia page for the game and they all mention the bad technical issues and crashes. I just remember it crashing all the time, and most of the time when you couldn't save or whatever so you would lose a bunch of progress.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Alchenar posted:

They should just gather the TNG cast to make 'Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (TNG)'. They'll be up the for voice acting and that and 'A Final Unity' are genuinely good games. ... well, except for some of the 'die for a decision you made several hours ago' bits of Unity'.

e: Disco Elysium sold like hotcakes. You just write up a mystery plot episode and then use that formula, except instead of interior voices it's the crew offering different opinions and options.

Disco Elysium was the best game I played in the last decade, so a TNG game like that could be phenomenal. Bonus points if every time Worf suggests something the first dialogue option is to say no.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Idk if “dialogue driven rpg” or “graphic adventure” is really in the wheelhouse of the people currently responsible for expanding the Star Trek brand

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

Disco Elysium was the best game I played in the last decade, so a TNG game like that could be phenomenal. Bonus points if every time Worf suggests something the first dialogue option is to say no.

TNG would be great, but actually (and I have only thought about this idea for the last 5 minutes) it probably works best with a fresh rookie crew. You distribute XP to rank up specific officers to make them more skilled, pick which ones to bring on away missions, you can see how it would all come together.

skasion posted:

Idk if “dialogue driven rpg” or “graphic adventure” is really in the wheelhouse of the people currently responsible for expanding the Star Trek brand

Yeah but a man can dream.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

They talked about how their ships were being raided. The episode just really really needs us to accept that Earth psychologically has decided not to ever go beyond orbit for the story to work. So internally consistent, just dumb.

You can maybe reconcile that a scarred Earth got really attached to their bigass planetary shield and it's their literal safely blanket.

skasion posted:

Back when Telltale was doing well and lots of different well-known franchises I thought that a deal for a few episodic Star Trek games would have been perfect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 2, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

You can maybe reconcile that a scarred Earth got really attached to their bigass planetary shield and it's their literal safely blanket.

Back when Telltale was doing well and lots of different well-known franchises I thought that a deal for a few episodic Star Trek games would have been perfect.

They built a Big, Beautiful Space Wall and made Pluto pay for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Technowolf posted:

They built a Big, Beautiful Space Wall and made Pluto pay for it.

President of Earth is actually Brunt's great-great-great(...)niece.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I feel like season 3's not been that bad so far, but its still wild looking up everyone in the writing room's history and marveling at how sloppy Discovery is. The only real duds in the writing room are Jenny Lumet (2017 Mummy) and Alan McElroy (spawn, Ecks vs. Sever, Tekken)

We're talking old and young writers who worked on Hannibal, Prison Break, Reign, Battlestar Galactica, House of Cards to Discovery.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As much as people are guilty of overstating their importance, a showrunner really is a big deal for a show's overall consistency and feel. Like, BSG was pretty solid about continuity and lore because Ron Moore gives a poo poo about those things. Discovery has had the double whammy of repeatedly losing their showrunner and having the overall direction of Trek over at Viacom/CBS being 'spectacle/feels in isolation' over long term development, at least of anyone bar the marquee star.

Years of Netflix and others convincing the world that a streaming drama can't be episodic also hasn't helped much.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

Zefram Cochrane broke the warp barrier hung over and blasting a lovely remix of Magic Carpet Ride from a loudspeaker. That is the vision of the future mankind should aspire to.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the warp engines began to take hold.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
(ignore, posted prematurely)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am very concerned that the eventual reveal of what caused The Burn is going to be extremely dumb

It’s already extremely dumb because for the yet another season a Star Trek show revolves around some galaxy- (universe-?) wide catastrophe.

gently caress.

FE: Also this catastrophe is almost certainly going to be undone through some time fuckery.

gently caress.

Lister posted:

Aw gently caress, it's going to be this, isn't it. Add in some poo poo about how the crystals are a hivemind connected by the mycelial network and a reference to the crystaline entity (it turns out the sphere ran into that thing too!).

I would love to see The Crystalline Entity revisited, actually. Not in some dumbass way like that, of course. Done right, it could make a great story basis for a season of Picard. Not some universe-threatening bullshit, but still plenty bad.

I mean thing pretty drat scary, but also kinda cool.

nine-gear crow posted:

Zefram Cochrane broke the warp barrier hung over and blasting a lovely remix of Magic Carpet Ride from a loudspeaker. That is the vision of the future mankind should aspire to.

You made me look this up and it turns out it was a live version. :eng101:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

FE: Also this catastrophe is almost certainly going to be undone through some time fuckery.

I dunno it's totally possible that they're just going to rebuild the federation except now it runs on magic mushrooms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It’s already extremely dumb because for the yet another season a Star Trek show revolves around some galaxy- (universe-?) wide catastrophe.

gently caress.

gently caress.

I would love to see The Crystalline Entity revisited, actually. Not in some dumbass way like that, of course. Done right, it could make a great story basis for a season of Picard. Not some universe-threatening bullshit, but still plenty bad.

I mean thing pretty drat scary, but also kinda cool.

You made me look this up and it turns out it was a live version. :eng101:

I did not know that. Also there’s only one remix of Magic Carpet Ride and it’s by Fatboy Slim and it loving slaps.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's kind of amusing how Star Trek went from "How does the warp drive work? Very well, thank you" to having the entire premise of a season based on knowledge of the exact functioning of its fictional FTL technology.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I liked that they went back to the United Earth from Archer's era. I do have some questions about the episode:

So what is Starfleet Academy now, a luxury hotel or something?

What was the significance of the short guy who walks past Burnham and says "Hi Commander" or whatever? The camera lingered on him and she looked at him funny, like we should know him.

Has anyone screencapped the shot of the 30th century Starfleet ships yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Astroman posted:

I liked that they went back to the United Earth from Archer's era. I do have some questions about the episode:

So what is Starfleet Academy now, a luxury hotel or something?

What was the significance of the short guy who walks past Burnham and says "Hi Commander" or whatever? The camera lingered on him and she looked at him funny, like we should know him.

Has anyone screencapped the shot of the 30th century Starfleet ships yet?

I think the significance was that he addressed her by title, which she hadn't been for a year. It wasn't exactly well communicated. Kind of a don't show don't tell thing.