Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The DS2 PC port was one of the best ever put out by a Japanese company, IIRC. Didn't introduce issues, ran better than on console, etc. The games are still fundamentally designed around a console controller, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Paracelsus posted:

The DS2 PC port was one of the best ever put out by a Japanese company, IIRC. Didn't introduce issues, ran better than on console, etc. The games are still fundamentally designed around a console controller, though.

feck

I was really hoping my complains would be dismissed with a :rolleyes: "everybody uses the longsaddle mod that fixes everything you mention and their was even a link posted on 1273"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It had a bug that made weapons break way faster because weapon degredation was tied to fps.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Look Sir Droids posted:

There is a co-op area in Ivory King.

Uh huh, sure, I bet you have to beat it to unlock Stop N Swop and use that to resurrect Rhea in DS1. :rolleyes: Can't fool me, buddy.

Also re: controls. It took some effort to force them into the right configuration but you can get them pretty close to DS1. Though I think Remastered, by merit of being new and ported to the DS3 engine?, got some tweaks to make the controls more flexible so a lot of that is going to be missing from 2 no matter what. I also think Scholar actually did improve the control bindings a bit too but I'm not 100% on that.

Nebakenezzer, it sounds like the problem you're having is the same one I somehow glitched into halfway through my playthrough. Basically you need to go in and unbind every redundant function. I think the game gets confused and thinks you're permanently holding Shift/Ctrl/Alt which switches you to the alternate binds where half of your basic functions are hosed and the rest are bound to nonsense. Hence, estus drinking is suddenly spacebar. Go through all of the tabs and turn every weird-looking default bind to "none" and it should clear up.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Did you fight two big cats that looked like Aava?

Did you go here? http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/frigid-outskirts

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That web page is this year's halloween trick made by the Dark Souls community

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

feelix posted:

Your dumb joke would work if I was complaining that the game was too difficult which I am not. It's just annoying. On the other hand, the people who don't notice the dead zones are indeed the ones that are too ham fisted to appreciate the perfection of the controls in the other souls games.

feelix posted:

That's not what I said. It's like I'm a pro golfer and you're a 3 year old hitting a rock with a stick. The fun you're having is very legitimate and real but I'm still superior to you

Otoh if you were good at the game the dead zones wouldn't be an issue

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I unbinded every single mouse key in-game and use autohotkey. I saw someone suggest rebinding shift away from the default, too.

You can use something like this:
code:
SetBatchLines, -1		;makes the script run at max speed
SetKeyDelay , -1, -1		;faster response (might be better with -1, 0)
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 0 ;Move the mouse faster for mouse moving commands
SendMode Event

SetTitleMatchMode Regex ;A window's title must match regex
#if (WinActive("ahk_exe i)\\DarkSoulsII\.exe$"))

;Targeting
WheelUp::
{
Send {J down}
Sleep 20
Send {J up}
return
}
WheelDown::
{
Send {K down}
Sleep 20
Send {K up}
return
}

;Right Weapon Attacks
~LButton::U
~^LButton::I

;Left Weapon Attacks
~RButton::O
~^RButton::P

Shift::0

;toggle suspending hotkeys
^q:: Suspend
  Return

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Otoh if you were good at the game the dead zones wouldn't be an issue
it's not a difficulty thing, it's a feel thing. all the other soulsborne games do not have that issue and movement feels better in them as a result

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did you fight two big cats that looked like Aava?

Did you go here? http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/frigid-outskirts

Lol, like they'd really just put two Aavas at the end of a co-op area.

Cavauro posted:

That web page is this year's halloween trick made by the Dark Souls community

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

John Murdoch posted:

Also re: controls. It took some effort to force them into the right configuration but you can get them pretty close to DS1. Though I think Remastered, by merit of being new and ported to the DS3 engine?, got some tweaks to make the controls more flexible so a lot of that is going to be missing from 2 no matter what. I also think Scholar actually did improve the control bindings a bit too but I'm not 100% on that.

Nebakenezzer, it sounds like the problem you're having is the same one I somehow glitched into halfway through my playthrough. Basically you need to go in and unbind every redundant function. I think the game gets confused and thinks you're permanently holding Shift/Ctrl/Alt which switches you to the alternate binds where half of your basic functions are hosed and the rest are bound to nonsense. Hence, estus drinking is suddenly spacebar. Go through all of the tabs and turn every weird-looking default bind to "none" and it should clear up.

comedyblissoption posted:

I unbinded every single mouse key in-game and use autohotkey. I saw someone suggest rebinding shift away from the default, too.

You can use something like this:
code:
SetBatchLines, -1		;makes the script run at max speed
SetKeyDelay , -1, -1		;faster response (might be better with -1, 0)
SetDefaultMouseSpeed, 0 ;Move the mouse faster for mouse moving commands
SendMode Event

SetTitleMatchMode Regex ;A window's title must match regex
#if (WinActive("ahk_exe i)\\DarkSoulsII\.exe$"))

;Targeting
WheelUp::
{
Send {J down}
Sleep 20
Send {J up}
return
}
WheelDown::
{
Send {K down}
Sleep 20
Send {K up}
return
}

;Right Weapon Attacks
~LButton::U
~^LButton::I

;Left Weapon Attacks
~RButton::O
~^RButton::P

Shift::0

;toggle suspending hotkeys
^q:: Suspend
  Return

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can get gud at control mapping/just use the drat controller

Also what is this problem of dead zones, I thought all of dark souls was a dead zone

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Sometimes if you fall you'll hit a Dead Zone and die even though you could technically have survived.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can get gud at control mapping/just use the drat controller

Also what is this problem of dead zones, I thought all of dark souls was a dead zone

A controller dead zone is the area between a centered stick and when it starts to register movement. It can happen over time with use.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Gaius Marius posted:

It had a bug that made weapons break way faster because weapon degredation was tied to fps.

I'm still kinda pissed that they didn't bother doing anything about that until people complained on the newer generation of consoles

and even then, I'm miffed that i never wound up making the belmont build i wanted, on account of the old whip having the durability of a soaked newspaper

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dark Souls 2 fiddled with the movement controls in an odd way, character movement is locked to 8 directional points, but you can dodge roll in any direction during lockon. This sorta is the inversion of how movement works in Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, where your movement isn't fixed like that, but your dodge rolls are fixed to four directions when you're locked on. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 dropped any fixed movement.

People demonstrate the difference in DS2 versus the other games by wiggling the movement stick a little: your character will twitch around in response to the small movements you make in DS1, Bloodborne, and DS3, while with DS2 you have to push more strongly in a cardinal direction before your character will start rotating.

wonderton
Dec 12, 2016
I'm not sure if anyone will have an answer, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask: is it still possible to farm Sunlight Medals offline in Scholar of the First Sin for PS4? I'm trying to get the platinum trophy for the game and I've heard the online is pretty dead at this point. It's hard to find a straight answer online due to conflicting accounts and different versions of the game (vanilla DS2 sounds pretty different from SotFS).

Spoilers for the strategy that I have used so far: I have tried at both the army camp in Bright Cove Tseldora and the Poison Mines in Harvest Valley but haven't found a single Medal. I spent about three hours and figured I would have found at least one or two by now — many online sources cite collecting about ten of them in two hours. I wore the Jester's Hat, Gold Covetous Serpent Ring+2, Prisoner's Tatters, and Watchdragon Parma. I even joined the Company of Champions covenant to prevent the enemies from despawning. I used one Bonfire Ascetic at Bright Cove Tseldora Army Camp, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'm only on NG in this file, and I've heard mixed things about NG+ making the drop rate better. Perhaps I'm missing something major?

Here I thought Darklurker and the Dark Chasms of Old were going to be the hardest part of this game! I wish there weren't trophies tied to online play...

With that out of the way, I keep coming back to SotFS and it continues to have a special place in my heart. I first played it in 2015 and never knew that Agility was an important stat until just this year. You can imagine that I didn't get very far back then. After playing Bloodborne, it was weird coming to DS2 and not being able to dodge easily. Since then I have played most of DS3 and DS1. SotFS is my second favorite after BB. I've only beaten BB and SotFS. Still have the last boss to go in DS3 and maybe three or four left in DS1. It's been cool to read this thread about one of my favorite games. :unsmith:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Have you tried farming the Falconers in the Shaded Woods instead, since you're playing the Scholar version and not the original? Drop rates are still going to bite you in the rear end but at least they're closer to the bonfire.

At least you're not trying to get all the achievements in DS3; nearly every covenant there has unique stuff that can only be got by farming items with low drop rates.

wonderton
Dec 12, 2016
Ahh good idea! I started with them for a little while but went to the Army Camp thinking that more of the Falconers would increase my chances. I'll head back to the Shaded Woods and see if my luck changes for the better.

e: Thanks for the suggestion! And I glanced at the DS3 trophy list earlier today and wondered if it was as annoying to platinum. Guess I know the answer to that now.

e2: After respawning the Falconers nine times, I finally got one Sunlight Medal! I can finally confirm that it's possible — although time-consuming — to complete this trophy offline. :D

wonderton fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 3, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Have you tried farming the Falconers in the Shaded Woods instead, since you're playing the Scholar version and not the original? Drop rates are still going to bite you in the rear end but at least they're closer to the bonfire.

At least you're not trying to get all the achievements in DS3; nearly every covenant there has unique stuff that can only be got by farming items with low drop rates.

Yeah but DS3 actually has people playing online, and most players are pretty awful at PvP so getting 30 dunk-medals for each faction isn't so awful (except for Farron Watchdogs, good luck getting any invasions if you're higher than SL35 and upgraded a weapon to +3, at least until NG+)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just played SotFS on PS4, and Sunlight medal was pretty easy to get by putting down my coop sign outside fog gates. Still enough people online for Sunbro coop. Rat gang is harder.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I got sunlight medals getting summoned for bosses pretty easily, even at a really weird sm, like, 4 mil or something. Just follow the activity box.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah but DS3 actually has people playing online, and most players are pretty awful at PvP so getting 30 dunk-medals for each faction isn't so awful (except for Farron Watchdogs, good luck getting any invasions if you're higher than SL35 and upgraded a weapon to +3, at least until NG+)

Farron can indeed be pretty impossible if you overlevel but if you don't then it's a breeze.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dark Souls 2 fiddled with the movement controls in an odd way, character movement is locked to 8 directional points, but you can dodge roll in any direction during lockon. This sorta is the inversion of how movement works in Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, where your movement isn't fixed like that, but your dodge rolls are fixed to four directions when you're locked on. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 dropped any fixed movement.

People demonstrate the difference in DS2 versus the other games by wiggling the movement stick a little: your character will twitch around in response to the small movements you make in DS1, Bloodborne, and DS3, while with DS2 you have to push more strongly in a cardinal direction before your character will start rotating.

That's a great way to explain it. I remember someone linking a mod or a fix changing that to be the same as the others but can't remember when and where to find it.

Bloodborne is the game I've played the mostin the last years (and maybe DS3) and takes some time to adjust to DS2 but is nothing bad. DS2 is overall the one I feel it controls different with the movement, rolls affected by agility and load and the whole powerstancing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Guillermus posted:

That's a great way to explain it. I remember someone linking a mod or a fix changing that to be the same as the others but can't remember when and where to find it.

Bloodborne is the game I've played the mostin the last years (and maybe DS3) and takes some time to adjust to DS2 but is nothing bad. DS2 is overall the one I feel it controls different with the movement, rolls affected by agility and load and the whole powerstancing.

If there was a way to actually fix it that would be great but the only ones I'm aware of are Steam controller remappings that modify your input to make it feel better but the dead zones are still there: there is no input that makes it possible to move at vanishingly small angles relative to the camera, the game just isn't coded to allow that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm about to make my 3rd attempt to beat DS2 soon. Big fan of the series, but this one never clicked for me. Does anyone have suggestions for interesting builds or starting classes? Nothing cheesey, or that will require a single rare item or whatever, but I don't want to play a hulking 2 hander guy like I always do in Souls.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The cleric's starting mace can see you through basically all of the game with shocking ease.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Rapier estoc powerstance build is fun and good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Equip two caestii and give them the ol one two

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’ve had a ton of fun with quality builds, using them to keep a full kit of lighter weapons to swap between at the ready. You can go REALLY far in this game with a Longsword, a Mace, and a Partizan spear, for example.

Spears in general are pretty solid in DS2! In fact you can get one of the better spears early by killing Mild-mannered Pate. His spear is amazing, but not game-breakingly so! It will take Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, though.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

RBA Starblade posted:

I did a Caestus only run some years back and had a blast, though I upgraded to the Bone Fist when I found it.

I will never forget the adventures of Max Punchman, Hollow Puncher.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

RBA Starblade posted:

This run is an absolute blast. Slap the stone ring on to get enough stagger to help counter the absolutely minuscule range.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

beer gas canister posted:

I'm about to make my 3rd attempt to beat DS2 soon. Big fan of the series, but this one never clicked for me. Does anyone have suggestions for interesting builds or starting classes? Nothing cheesey, or that will require a single rare item or whatever, but I don't want to play a hulking 2 hander guy like I always do in Souls.

DS2 does have a huge range of hulking ultra-greatswords and other big weapons, but if you're wanting to mix it up you could try various dual-wielded weapons (you can dual wield greatswords too :getin:), hexes, or some of the unique gimmick weapons that never made it out of 2.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nuns with Guns posted:

some of the unique gimmick weapons that never made it out of 2.

Everyone should experience Santier's Spear at least once.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Paracelsus posted:

I forgot, how long did it take for people to figure out Santier's Spear? when i looked at the durability and the non-stats, i just straight didn't bother until someone discovered the secret and by then i was in NG+2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

feelix posted:

If there was a way to actually fix it that would be great but the only ones I'm aware of are Steam controller remappings that modify your input to make it feel better but the dead zones are still there: there is no input that makes it possible to move at vanishingly small angles relative to the camera, the game just isn't coded to allow that.

That being said, DS2 feels kinda weird but I like it. I love playing all Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls) despide whatever flaws each one has. Because of VideoGame's stream I'm streaming a new Bloodborne character, even if no one is actually watching my channel and I find it really fun to do a session without stopping or grinding. Might keep doing it after Bloodborne with all other games.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paracelsus posted:

Santier's Spear is great, yeah. I also really like any of the lances and twinblades a lot. The nice thing about DS2 is that you can pick any 2 combos of STR/DEX/INT/FTH and find some weapons that are useful and often interesting or helpful to a build. It's nice that they also added in so many weapons that can double as casting implements for spells, hexes, and miracles, too.

As a reference point, this video has a good compilation of interesting weapons from 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghE_lmi3x-o

Someone in the comments list out all the weapons in order of appearance:

quote:

00:01 Wrathful Axe
00:28 Spitfire Spear
00:58 Ivory Straight Sword
01:28 Iron King Hammer
01:58 Dragonslayer Spear
02:25 Thorned Greatsword
03:19 Helix Halberd
04:35 Drakewing Ultra Greatsword
05:09 Sanctum Shield
07:10 Blue Flame
08:32 Sacred Chime Hammer
09:25 Sanctum Crossbow
09:55 Sanctum Repeating Crossbow
10:23 Bow of Want
11:16 Smelter Sword
12:02 Moonlight Greatsword
13:11 Puzzling Stone Sword
14:03 Majestic Greatsword
15:12 Bone Fist
16:06 Curved Dragon Greatsword
16:51 Smelter Hammer
18:21 Avelyn (only crossbow capable of power stance)
19:35 Spider Fang (special slows movement)
21:19 Channeler's Trident (dance buffs damage)
22:17 Sorcerer's Twinblade
23:11 Old Whip(bonus damage vs hollows)
24:05 Mytha's Bent Blade (builds toxic)
24:46 Pilgrim's Spontoon
27:03 Shield Crossbow (guard while firing)
29:00 Defender Greatsword
30:23 Ricard's Rapier
30:54 Aged Smelter Sword
31:55 Mace of the Insolent
36:20 Wathcher Greatsword
37:02 Ivory King Ultra Greatsword
38:14 Possessed Armor Sword
39:14 Bewitched Alonne Sword
40:04 Eleum Loyce (heals allies)
43:44 Disc Chime
44:23 Reeve's Greatshield and Orma's Greatshield (only shields capable of power stance)
45:24 Ice Rapier

Since it's not clear from the video, I'll split out where you can access all of them. I'm going to sort them by early/mid base game for when you're going through the different branches you get at the start of the game, the late base game after you've lit all the primal bonfires, the early DLC that you might be able to suicide run through without having to tackle a lot of the bosses or clear a lot of the area, late DLC when you're going to have to commit to navigating the DLC areas and fight a boss or two, and the end of the base game/NG+.

Early/Mid Base Game
Channeler's Trident (random drop from the Crows)
Old Whip (random drop from the Crows)
Dragonslayer Spear (boss soul)
Ricard's Rapier (treasure)
Shield Crossbow (boss soul)
Disc Chime (treasure)
Mytha's Bent Blade (boss soul)
Smelter Sword (boss soul)
Iron King Hammer (boss soul)
Spider Fang (boss soul)
Moonlight Greatsword (boss soul, needs a bonfire ascetic to get on base NG)

Late Base Game
Thorned Greatsword (boss soul)
Defender Greatsword (boss soul)
Watcher Greatsword (boss soul)
Helix Halberd (treasure)
Blue Flame (enemy drop)
Avelyn (treasure)
Reeve's Greatshield and Orma's Greatshield (enemy drop)
Mace of the Insolent (treasure)
Sacred Chime Hammer (boss soul)
Spitfire Spear (boss soul)
Drakewing Ultra Greatsword (boss soul)
Curved Dragon Greatsword (treasure soul)

Early DLC
Ice Rapier (enemy drop)
Sanctum Shield (treasure)
Sanctum Crossbow (enemy drop & treasure)
Sanctum Repeating Crossbow (enemy drop)
Puzzling Stone Sword (treasure, rare enemy drop later in DLC)
Majestic Greatsword (treasure)
Smelter Hammer (uncommon/rare enemy drop)
Possessed Armor Sword (enemy drop)

Late DLC
Wrathful Axe (boss soul)
Ivory Straight Sword (boss soul)
Bone Fist (treasure, rare enemy drop)
Sorcerer's Twinblade (treasure)
Pilgrim's Spontoon (treasure)
Aged Smelter Sword (boss soul)
Ivory King Ultra Greatsword (boss soul)
Bewitched Alonne Sword (boss soul)
Eleum Loyce (treasure soul, requires grinding after beating a DLC)

End of Base Game/NG+
Bow of Want (boss soul)
Moonlight Greatsword (NG+ boss soul if you don't use a bonfire ascetic)

Guillermus posted:

That being said, DS2 feels kinda weird but I like it.

The funny thing is, I realized I never registered DS2's directional movement lock until someone pointed it out because I tend to move my character by turning the camera. Maybe that's weird but I always felt like I had more fine control over the way my character turned and moved outside of combat like that.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 11, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Santier's Spear is great, yeah. I also really like any of the lances and twinblades a lot. The nice thing about DS2 is that you can pick any 2 combos of STR/DEX/INT/FTH and find some weapons that are useful and often interesting or helpful to a build. It's nice that they also added in so many weapons that can double as casting implements for spells, hexes, and miracles, too.

As a reference point, this video has a good compilation of interesting weapons from 2:

Shitloads of weapons

The funny thing is, I realized I never registered DS2's directional movement lock until someone pointed it out because I tend to move my character by turning the camera. Maybe that's weird but I always felt like I had more fine control over the way my character turned and moved outside of combat like that.

DS2 has the biggest selection of weapons of all souls and brings A LOT of variety, and NG+ having some variations help on going forward and encourages to make really high lvl characters, it's the only game I pushed for NG+9 or so on PC.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for the great info! I'll probably go with a spear, since I've never used one at all in a Souls game.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I’m doing a coop run with my brother and settled on warped sword/washing pole power stance, at least for now. I realized I’ve never done a DS2 run with a low durability weapon before (katanas, etc.). We haven’t made it to Drangleic yet so I can’t buy unlimited repair powder. Is it a pain/concern?

I’ve been thinking of dual great swords because why not, but I need more strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dremcon posted:

I’m doing a coop run with my brother and settled on warped sword/washing pole power stance, at least for now. I realized I’ve never done a DS2 run with a low durability weapon before (katanas, etc.). We haven’t made it to Drangleic yet so I can’t buy unlimited repair powder. Is it a pain/concern?

Not usually a big problem in SOTFS, but you do need to keep an eye on the durability in the areas that are longer, like Bastille or Wharf if you plan on clearing them out all at once.