Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Separate post would you buy Harbor Freights tool drawers? They’re a lot cheaper than Husky and seem to have good reviews? I want something for the garage that won’t be used that heavily.

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in...6MaAgCeEALw_wcB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

asdf32 posted:

Separate post would you buy Harbor Freights tool drawers? They’re a lot cheaper than Husky and seem to have good reviews? I want something for the garage that won’t be used that heavily.

Its kind of hard to mess up sheet metal drawers.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

asdf32 posted:

I have a different HF toolchest for home use and it's been totally fine for 7 years now. I would 100% buy it again if needed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

While installing a bearing to my cutter head on my jointer, trying to get a new Shelix head on, I put too much pressure on the bearing housing and snapped it in half. Too much liberal application of the swing press and a hollow, deep socket to get it seated. I'm a loving idiot and very disappointed. It's been a silly few weeks.
:stonk: that seems, uh, bad. poo poo happens. Is that housing cast into the body of the machine or like a pillow block that bolts on?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm also looking to get my dad some tools because there's something always missing when he needs it around the house. He's not really a DIY guy so it's just basic maintenance in the house + bicycle. I know the kits are generally not recommended but I don't think the occasional use would justify a $100 set of Wiha screwdrivers, Snap-on ratchets, etc.

I’ll be the voice of contrary opinion and say that I really like those 300 piece mechanics sets in a blow molded case. Everything you need is right there, organized, portable, and ready to go.

You could get something like that for sockets and wrenches, and also a bucket boss and fill it with the basics. Screwdriver set, hammer, rubber mallet, drill, drill bit and driver set, decent tape measure, set of pliers and a level, box cutter, eyepro, hearing protection, gloves, duct tape, electrical tape, painters tape, sharpie and carpenters pencil, circular saw, and a hacksaw. Hazard fraught would be good, or there’s tons of great combo tool deals coming up on black friday. You can also buy a small presorted fastener kit to toss in there as well.

Honestly the yato kit with the hammer and stuff would probably get the same amount of use if he’s gone this long without the basics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

also a bucket boss and fill it with the basics.

:eyepop:
Oh drat thats such a good idea. I already carry my tools around in a big bucket, this would increase its capabilities exponentially

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’ll be the voice of contrary opinion and say that I really like those 300 piece mechanics sets in a blow molded case. Everything you need is right there, organized, portable, and ready to go.

You could get something like that for sockets and wrenches, and also a bucket boss and fill it with the basics. Screwdriver set, hammer, rubber mallet, drill, drill bit and driver set, decent tape measure, set of pliers and a level, box cutter, eyepro, hearing protection, gloves, duct tape, electrical tape, painters tape, sharpie and carpenters pencil, circular saw, and a hacksaw. Hazard fraught would be good, or there’s tons of great combo tool deals coming up on black friday. You can also buy a small presorted fastener kit to toss in there as well.

Honestly the yato kit with the hammer and stuff would probably get the same amount of use if he’s gone this long without the basics.

Agreed. Those sets are a good way to get the basics.

when building up a tool set give some attention to misc tools like an 8-in-one paint scraper that has the weird curved shape - great for prying random crap. Vice grips which can be a 3rd hand. Right angle needle nose pliers. Headlamp. Klein 11-1 screwdriver. A leather man like multi tool which gives you a second copy of many important ones. Great scissors and sheers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Its kind of hard to mess up sheet metal drawers.

It really isn't. There are plenty of places to cheap out from the gauge of the metal, the drawer slides, the casters, less metal/fewer bends where you can't see things to save on operations.......

But those are pretty good.

There's a Garage Journal thread that I can't find the link to where someone goes through and compares a bunch of boxes. Many of the HF ones scored quire well and significantly better than store brand tool names.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

It really isn't. There are plenty of places to cheap out from the gauge of the metal, the drawer slides, the casters, less metal/fewer bends where you can't see things to save on operations.......

But those are pretty good.

There's a Garage Journal thread that I can't find the link to where someone goes through and compares a bunch of boxes. Many of the HF ones scored quire well and significantly better than store brand tool names.

Yeah. I'm looking at you, Craftsman. The HF ball bearing stuff is incredible value for money. I've got a 44" that I've had for 10+years and it's still good as new. Absolutely worth the money. The 5-drawer cart is excellent as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

The 5-drawer cart is excellent as well.

That's been my main box with the "go to" tools in it for about 5 years now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

This looks like the best tool kit you posted, because it has a tape measure and a level (unlike the other kits). To work on bicycles you mostly just need a socket wrench, and that would cover it. Any kind of more specialized bike tools (for messing with the chain or something) would not be included in a generic kit.
Thanks, I think he already has a level and tape measure somewhere but I'm sure it'd be good to have it always in the kit. It's also like half the price of the others. Not to cheap out on beloved dad but maybe there's something else useful I could get him in addition.

asdf32 posted:

Didn’t project farm do a comparison that included one knockoff? I think it did well. If you’re looking for bargains consider Harbor Freight which is sort of a reputable knockoff.
That was the impact driver which I already have and yeah it's very good IMO. Lidl and our HF equivalent do have cheap tools (with warranties even) but they either don't come with batteries and/or have their own snowflake system, I'd rather stick with Makita compatible stuff at point. It's like having a bunch of Canon lenses at this point.

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's my feeling too... the kits are probably rightfully disliked by professionals who'd benefit from top quality gear for daily use but for occasional home stuff it's a pretty affordable and convenient solution.

He does have a lot of the basic tools already of course (so the bucket organizer is a great idea help with those) but as I mentioned it's mainly that stuff is sometimes lost or there are just gaps and we have to go to the hardware to pick up one screwdriver or something dumb like that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried one of the cheapo Chinese drills? I've used a knockoff Makita impact for a while to take off lug nuts and various other stuck nuts and bolts on the car with great success so considering I'd need a drill much less often, I just wanted to get something compatible with the battery.

https://www.banggood.com/18V-Cordle...ur_warehouse=CZ
https://www.banggood.com/88VF-Recha...ur_warehouse=CN
Maybe another possibility could be to get an adapter and drill with the impact the few occasions that I need it.

I like brushless stuff but would it be worth the :10bux: difference? Unlike the impact, there aren't many proper reviews I could find so this would be a bit of a gamble, though not a huge one obviously.

I'm also looking to get my dad some tools because there's something always missing when he needs it around the house. He's not really a DIY guy so it's just basic maintenance in the house + bicycle. I know the kits are generally not recommended but I don't think the occasional use would justify a $100 set of Wiha screwdrivers, Snap-on ratchets, etc.

So this Makita kit seems to be popular and is well reviewed but I don't think he'd need the million bits or sockets that make up most of it

This thing from Lidl seems like it would be more useful, but maybe a bit too minimalistic?

Maybe one of these Yato kits, the last one looks like would have more useful stuff for around the house. Do you need any weird stuff for bicycles?

Specifically regarding tools for bicycles, there are a lot of oddball tools that you need for various things depending on what you're doing. A socket set, hex wrenches, and screwdrivers get you a ton of the way there though. As you start to get into stuff like rebuilding wheels you'll pretty quickly need some cone wrenches. Then for changing gearing, or replacing worn out bottom brackets you start to need very specific things like a shimano cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, or various freewheel removal tools depending on the age and make of the bike. None of those things are all that expensive, generally less than :10bux: I suggest you buy them as you encounter the need for them, rather than trying to predict what you'll need.

Also, a bike stand is not necessary to do the vast majority of work, but it really does make life a lot easier. At this point I have a big old pile of oddball tools from helping all my friends with bike issues through this pandemic, since bikes are unobtanium and bike shops are overloaded, but most of the specialized tools only get used like once or twice for very specific things and then just sit around for months.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:stonk: that seems, uh, bad. poo poo happens. Is that housing cast into the body of the machine or like a pillow block that bolts on?

Thank gently caress it's a pillow block.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Someone has to make a storage case for standard screw boxes, right? Like one of those plastic organizers with the compartments sized to the screw/nail boxes?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of Tool box drawers. I really need to get some sort of foam inserts to arrange tools in so that they don't roll about / get put in wrong places. That's the negative of buying empty tool box drawers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

armorer posted:

Specifically regarding tools for bicycles, there are a lot of oddball tools that you need for various things depending on what you're doing. A socket set, hex wrenches, and screwdrivers get you a ton of the way there though. As you start to get into stuff like rebuilding wheels you'll pretty quickly need some cone wrenches. Then for changing gearing, or replacing worn out bottom brackets you start to need very specific things like a shimano cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, or various freewheel removal tools depending on the age and make of the bike. None of those things are all that expensive, generally less than :10bux: I suggest you buy them as you encounter the need for them, rather than trying to predict what you'll need.

Also, a bike stand is not necessary to do the vast majority of work, but it really does make life a lot easier. At this point I have a big old pile of oddball tools from helping all my friends with bike issues through this pandemic, since bikes are unobtanium and bike shops are overloaded, but most of the specialized tools only get used like once or twice for very specific things and then just sit around for months.
Cool, thanks. I'll stick with a generic set and he can get whatever extra stuff he needs for the bike as needed.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bought some new mics for work. These were always my favorite style over the ratcheting thimble thingy.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Those are beautiful.

The only tools I deal with at work house behind their titles and their keyboard. I would love a trade job.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a micrometer at a pawn shop once. I don't have any use for it, anything I need to measure would be much better suited to digital calipers. But I wanted it anyway because it looked like such a beautiful instrument and it was $10

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I don't see mentioned that's essential for working on bikes is a good mallet.

Bike mechanic buddy of mine said they only took bikes to the back room to work on them so that customers didn't see how hard they had to hammer on things sometimes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The only thing I don't see mentioned that's essential for working on bikes is a good mallet.

Bike mechanic buddy of mine said they only took bikes to the back room to work on them so that customers didn't see how hard they had to hammer on things sometimes.

Ah, yeah that's a good point. I have ... a lot of hammers, so I often overlook that not everyone does.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thank gently caress it's a pillow block.
:pray: :worship:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Those are beautiful.

The only tools I deal with at work house behind their titles and their keyboard. I would love a trade job.
It's all fun and games until you do nothing but sand for 8 hours a day and it's 95 degrees and you're covered in sawdust/sweat paste.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's all fun and games until you do nothing but sand for 8 hours a day and it's 95 degrees and you're covered in sawdust/sweat paste.

Ha, yea there are definitely easier trade jobs than others.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^^ Yup, Drilling is a motherfuck.
But I've learned a shitload of stuff. Tools, hydraulics, trailer wiring, truck wiring, metal fabrication, wood working, dirt, more dirt, a bit if geotechnical engineering you fuckin name it.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I've lost too many hours looking for construction shoes that I can slip on when I move from the deck where I cut materials to indoors.

I guess crocs for work are the best choice?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Untied or loosely tied work boots?
Dunno how much foot protection you need, but comedy option of Sperry's/boat shoes/some other slip-on with an actual sole?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm a glutton for punshment.

Bring it on. :getin:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjgrB9vTec

TacoHavoc posted:

Untied or loosely tied work boots?

This is what I do, though it's not great.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I've lost too many hours looking for construction shoes that I can slip on when I move from the deck where I cut materials to indoors.

Maybe a work version of a Chelsea boot, like the Blundstone ones?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pull on work boots? I’ve seen a few finish carpenters with a pair of Birkenstock clogs outside the door when working on finished floors that are socks only.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pull on work boots? I’ve seen a few finish carpenters with a pair of Birkenstock clogs outside the door when working on finished floors that are socks only.

Around here, low-top Muck boots are pretty common. Pull-on quickly, waterproof, etc. In winter, some guys use overshoes over normal boots.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
All of my shoes are easy slip on/slip off. Who actually unties shoes?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

JEEVES420 posted:

I do. I've got small ankles and wide feet. If I don't tie the laces on my 6" Red Wings, they rub the poo poo out of the back of my heel from my foot sliding up. If I need to quickly swap them on/off, I can pull hard enough to get some slack, then pop the laces out of the hooks. I very rarely do this, but it's feasible.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Maybe a work version of a Chelsea boot, like the Blundstone ones?

Love my blundstones, but for them to stay on right they're pretty tight and I need two hands to pull them on.

sharkytm posted:

Around here, low-top Muck boots are pretty common. Pull-on quickly, waterproof, etc. In winter, some guys use overshoes over normal boots.

Seconding this suggestion. My bogs work great for slipping on and off at the door. If you actually have a use for taller boots, I don't think it makes much difference for how quick and easy they are to get on and off since the calf area is pretty loose.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

JEEVES420 posted:

Ah yes, the story of how I ruin all my shoes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Me, the guy who has needed orthopedic shoes since childhood. And if any of you spend hours a day doing this stuff on a slab floor, invest in the best cushioned shoes you can. Your back and knees will thank you 30 years down the road.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've got some Ariat Turbo Chelsea boots I wear for work(in a kitchen)

My work place has been shut down since the pandemic and I left them in my locker so I got another pair for at home/yard work.

They have a composite steel toe carbon fiber shank waterproof non slip soles slip on and off easily.

Comedy option clogs I used to wear Dansko/Sanita clogs at work but after the 4th pair the sole split down the middle I've given up on them.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 2, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Someone needs to make Velcro fastened work boots. Problem is everyone on site would make fun of you. Kinda like the guy on the construction site with Ryobi tools.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wesleywillis posted:

Someone needs to make Velcro fastened work boots. Problem is everyone on site would make fun of you. Kinda like the guy on the construction site with Ryobi tools.

It's one way to be sure that nobody will steal them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

wesleywillis posted:

Now I want to see Ryobi brand Velcro shoes