Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It just adds a new challenge now. Make it to the top and back again without dying from all the normal Everest stuff in addition to covid. Do I have high altitude pulmonary edema or covid? Who knows? I didn't spring for the package that comes with a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Given that the descent is usually what kills people, I'm starting to think those people who paraglide off the thing are onto something.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
I will be the first person to bust a nut at the summit of Everest.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

cubivore posted:

does anyone have a good write-up or article about the canadian woman and what happened to her?

I remember hopping into whatever thread it was when they started talking about her, and everyone laughing at her photoshopping herself into everest and literally doing no training for the mountain whatsoever, and then, woops, she died,

but I wasn't really following the whole saga and I'd find it interesting. thanks

https://youtu.be/QEcHBFs-qME The CBC documentary about her is really good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

cubivore posted:

does anyone have a good write-up or article about the canadian woman and what happened to her?

I remember hopping into whatever thread it was when they started talking about her, and everyone laughing at her photoshopping herself into everest and literally doing no training for the mountain whatsoever, and then, woops, she died,

That'd be Shriya Shah-Klorfine. I think I remember reading an interesting article or two about her linked in one of these threads, and even maybe a documentary on YouTube because she took a camcorder with her. Maybe if you search for her name on here you'll find them. Or maybe you have to search for "canadian woman everest" :v:

e:f;b but I think there are interesting articles too.

I don't remember if she actually photoshopped herself on Everest but there's this clearly photoshopped image she made:

Someone in one of these threads pointed out that she's photoshopped herself into a scene which is a short walk from a carpark which is about an hour's drive from an international airport in her home country of Canada - maybe it's Banff? - so she could've actually gone there, but I guess she didn't want to climb any mountains before Everest in case it spoiled the surprise :shrug:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Does anyone have any more on the lady who haggled over tea and got chased? When I google it's mostly articles saying the same things, and it's always the tourist's perspective even if it's making fun of her. It'd be interesting to hear the tea vendor's side of it if that exists. The tourist lady is always quoted saying she paid for the tea but people ITT are saying she dashed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Grevling posted:

Does anyone have any more on the lady who haggled over tea and got chased? When I google it's mostly articles saying the same things, and it's always the tourist's perspective even if it's making fun of her. It'd be interesting to hear the tea vendor's side of it if that exists. The tourist lady is always quoted saying she paid for the tea but people ITT are saying she dashed.

This one made me laugh. The woman clearly had never had to worry about money in the way the knife edge of poverty does. The price was all just a matter of principal for her, nothing real anyway. And I'm sure she's seen/heard how thieves could lose a hand in some time/places (even if it was just watching Aladdin). And I'm sure she never put two and two together to understand why that might be the case.

For a brief shining moment she became the embodiment of 'gently caress around and find out' and managed to capture the whole embarrassing ordeal on camera. When she's back home in England I hope a server recognizes her and charges for £25 for a cup of tea.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well you see in the modern western society if you throw a tantrum and refuse to pay, they will just give it to you for free! The manager of the establishment might even apologize.

She got what she deserved

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Epitope posted:

Why do people enjoy traveling. That video is just depressing. It's cool to be reminded of your privilege, and to grapple with your place in the human world. Seems better to do that during work time though, use vacation for relaxation and rejuvenation. Clearly this isn't how many people feel.

Travelling is my favorite way to spend a holiday because I like to see new places and see different ways of life and meet people whos life is different from mine. My trips aren't always relaxing but they are the highlight of my life, I am frankly confused as hell why somebody would not see the appeal.

But drat, that woman is pretty audacious, if you didn't haggle before a service then you don't get to do it after consuming it, and especially for that price. If you get ripped off then learn from it, it's something everybody goes through at least once, just take the knee and get on with your life.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cubivore posted:

also I finished reading into thin air not too long ago and while it was a good and interesting book I had a weird feeling about it, like, the way krakauer assigned motivations to people and tried to sort of make characters out of them with playing around with the blame. it's been too long for me to bring up specifics tho

Anatoly Boukreev was pretty pissed off at being critiqued for his successful rescue of other climbers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I quite like this quote somebody added to Into Thin Air's wiki page:

quote:

Galen Rowell criticized Krakauer's account, citing numerous inconsistencies in his narrative while observing that Krakauer was sleeping in his tent while Boukreev was rescuing other climbers. Rowell argued that Boukreev's actions were nothing short of heroic, and his judgment prescient: "[Boukreev] foresaw problems with clients nearing camp, noted five other guides on the peak [Everest], and positioned himself to be rested and hydrated enough to respond to an emergency. His heroism was not a fluke."

That said, what's the deal with the no supplemental oxygen climbs? Is it just more pointless dick wagging that people bother to do it? Or does not bothering with oxygen just mean you're carrying less and it's a tradeoff situation?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I quite like this quote somebody added to Into Thin Air's wiki page:

That said, what's the deal with the no supplemental oxygen climbs? Is it just more pointless dick wagging that people bother to do it? Or does not bothering with oxygen just mean you're carrying less and it's a tradeoff situation?

I think the belief is that, if you do the climb without oxygen, you're always in the same decreased mental state and can plan for that and get used to it. If you do the climb with oxygen and then, suddenly, you are out of oxygen, your mental state drastically declines and you suddenly can't think straight.

You can see what happens when you don't have oxygen anymore in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

This one is fun too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

I think it was in the documentary or dramatization of the first Everest climb, or maybe another time. But it was two guys working their way to the top and one of the guys noticed the other was getting sluggish. He took off the guy's mask and saw that it was entirely iced over and he was no longer getting oxygen.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 1, 2020

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

PittTheElder posted:

more pointless dick wagging

where do you think we are?

no really i'm suffering hypoxia and have the mental capability of a three year old and I don't know where we are right now

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I got turned on to a book centered around Everest called Summit, by Harry Farthing. It's fiction, but it's extremely well-researched, and plays an interesting what-if game with the first summiters being members of the Nazi party. It goes into pretty good detail on the British colonialism aftereffects in Nepal, as well as covering why mountaineering was such a big deal at the time.

Yes, it's also a bit of a thriller and has some tropes, but it's a good page-turner. If you like mountaineering, Everest history, or Nepal, it's a good one to pick up. It weaves two plot lines (one modern; one from 1939) and covers things from that recent NatGeo article. Mallory's supposed camera is mentioned a lot, and always with a healthy dose of skepticism. It explains things way better than the NatGeo article, IMO, as to why recovery of certain items would be so financially lucrative.

And it does sate the eat-the-rich bloodlust a bit, so there's that too.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

spacing in vienna posted:

Just want to second the thread had some amazing book recommendations. "Buried in the Sky" talked about the climbers during the 08 K2 tragedy, focusing on the Sherpa guides (which most of the media ignored).

One of the quotes from one of the Australian guides was a loving nightmare - he snapped at a Sherpa "Who's your owner?!". That might have been during the Into Thin Air disaster, though, can't remember.

Like, jesu christo, man.

I love Everest because I love Nepal.

I've only managed to get there once, and found the people incredibly warm and welcoming as long as you treated them with respect. The number of lovely white folks who treat them like servants was awful. I also wasn't there to climb Everest (was just touring around and spent less than a day in Nepal), so maybe that had something to do with it too. This was nearly 20 years ago though, so maybe it's gotten better.

I also didn't try to cheat a tea shop owner. Or haggle. Who gives a gently caress if I'm getting "ripped off" for an extra buck or two?

Weirdly, though, they refused to accept extra money. I can't remember how much they wanted for some scarf I bought because this was years ago, but it was like the equivalent of $4 so I gave them the equivalent of a $5 bill and turned to walk away. The shop owner literally chased me down outside to give me my change back. Once the price is agreed, that's what you pay.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

He also wrote his own book about it, The Climb in response to Krakauer slandering him. It's a pretty good counterpoint and probably closer to what happened. Also has a funny story about some Polish fellow who had no permit or anything, and made it to one of the advanced camps with nothing more than a large bottle of vodka, decent boots and a stove.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Climbing with no supplemental oxygen is like climbing drunk.

Why would anyone be proud of it? They didn’t make the climb any tougher, they just made their body more pathetic.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Platystemon posted:

Why would anyone be proud of it? They didn’t make the climb any tougher, they just made their body more pathetic.

Exactly. Also, why do we have running races when you could just jump in a car and get there much faster?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah it’s like not hydrating during a marathon.

The Everest equivalent of the car would be taking a helicopter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That one helo did manage to fly right to the top once too, kinda surprised whoever makes it doesn't charge exorbitant fees to fly people up. The weight limit has to be tight, but capitalism knows no bounds...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The helicopter stunt was its own challenge and I respect it more than I respect the achievement of the first vegan with a peanut allergy who paid Sherpas to drag them to the top.

It’s almost not hypocritical to appreciate both footraces and car races, while still maintaining that intentional oxygen/water deprivation is silly.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

No, no. You get people up on the mountain, then you force them to pay exorbitant fees to ride a helicopter back down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/world/asia/nepal-everest-rescue-fraud.html

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Platystemon posted:

The helicopter stunt was its own challenge and I respect it more than I respect the achievement of the first vegan with a peanut allergy who paid Sherpas to drag them to the top.

It’s almost not hypocritical to appreciate both footraces and car races, while still maintaining that intentional oxygen/water deprivation is silly.

I prefer to acknowledge that carrying up oxygen is a little bit like training wheels, while still maintaining that climbing up Everest is silly

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Would you rather train do to something drunk so you will at least be competent at it, or would you rather do it sober with the risk that you will suddenly become drunk without realizing it? Boukreev preferred not to use oxygen because he wanted to avoid a sudden loss of acclimatization.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If they think it’s the safest way to make it up and down the mountain, sure, go for it.

If it’s for bragging rights, :hmmno:.

If a runner has a hypothesis they want to test about raw eggs and strychnine being the best material to run a marathon on, that’s cool, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

If they think it’s the safest way to make it up and down the mountain, sure, go for it.

If it’s for bragging rights, :hmmno:.

If a runner has a hypothesis they want to test about raw eggs and strychnine being the best material to run a marathon on, that’s cool, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Is it climbing season already!!!! My wallet! I hope to see plenty of dead body pictures this year :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Climbing season is usually in the spring.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea early May for Everest, later for K2

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should add that the early decades of Everest’s climbing history, oxygen apparatuses were heavier and more failure prone‐than they are today, and the practice itself was experimental. What’s it like to climb with oxygen? You’re the guinea pig.

Choosing to go without oxygen was a reasonable call. It wasn’t about bragging rights.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tetramin posted:

Is it climbing season already!!!! My wallet! I hope to see plenty of dead body pictures this year :D

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Platystemon posted:

I should add that the early decades of Everest’s climbing history, oxygen apparatuses were heavier and more failure prone‐than they are today, and the practice itself was experimental. What’s it like to climb with oxygen? You’re the guinea pig.

Choosing to go without oxygen was a reasonable call. It wasn’t about bragging rights.

It's 100% about bragging rights. That's why there's a "climbed Everest" and a "climbed Everest without supplemental oxygen" category.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yea early May for Everest, later for K2

Are people as crazy about K2? I know it's technically a harder climb, but people go nuts about Everest.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Those oxygen cylinders are pretty big too, who'd want to carry a whole bunch of them up the mountain? Whip its are way smaller.

Oh wait you don't have to carry anything yourself anyway unless you decide to ignore directions and head up alone because you know better.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

Are people as crazy about K2? I know it's technically a harder climb, but people go nuts about Everest.

It’s not ~the tallest~ so, no.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

It’s not ~the tallest~ so, no.

Good thing too because K2 has like a 25% death to successful summit rate or something insane.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

No, because you can’t pay poor people to drag your inexperienced and unskilled rich rear end to the summit.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

If anyone concern trolls the thread, or in the opposite direction is overly ghoulish and lusts for death, they will freeze to death on probe summit just FYI.

The Everest thread is too cool to die. Keep it civil :thumbsup:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

Historically no, because you actually need to be a capable mountaineer to have any real shot at summitting / not dying. Less than 400 have summitted, nearly 100 have died in the process. But now that Everest is gaining a reputation as the tourist mountain, more rookies are trying at K2 to get the new hippest bragging rights.

Here's a sweet video I watched yesterday about a team climbing it which includes some absolutely beautiful footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt2Xcuois

The central pair are also doing the no supplemental oxygen thing, but of course their team includes three climbers who absolutely are on oxygen, and said climbers will have to do all the work of setting ropes and then be saddled with babysitting them when their decision making skills inevitably collapse. The beginning includes the story of one of them giving up oxygen on Everest in order to really "find his limits" (and nearly getting himself killed in the process), because the people climbing these mountains are loving insane.

e: also featured is a porter strike because climbers didn't want to tip them $10 for carrying all their poo poo 90 km up a glacier

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 2, 2020

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

PittTheElder posted:

Nah you actually need to be a capable mountaineer to have any real shot at summitting / not dying. Less than 400 have summitted, nearly 100 have died in the process.

Here's a sweet video I watched yesterday about a team climbing it which includes some absolutely beautiful footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt2Xcuois

The central pair are also doing the no supplemental oxygen thing, but of course their team includes three climbers who absolutely are on oxygen, and said climber will be saddled with babysitting them when their decision making skills inevitably collapse. The beginning includes the story of one of them giving up oxygen on Everest in order to really "find his limits" (and nearly getting himself killed in the process), because the people climbing these mountains are loving insane.

Thank you for posting this footage. Everest really is the basic bitch death mountain, and climbing it is STILL no small feat by modern standards. The people who try K2 and Annapurna are absolutely insane.

I can’t watch more than 5 minutes of these videos without my anxiety going batshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I think the phrasing we arrived at in previous threads was:

Everest is completely indifferent to whether you live or die.

K2 is trying to kill you.

PittTheElder posted:

Given that the descent is usually what kills people, I'm starting to think those people who paraglide off the thing are onto something.

It's a bit of a misleading stat. It's not anything in particular about the descent that kills people. It's that idiots who should turn around but don't then overexert themselves reaching the summit, just to realize they're exhausted but have the other half of the journey left to go.

The tech CEO suing and the Canadian woman are just two sides of the same coin. If the expedition group gatekeeps who can and can't summit, they can get sued by cranky tourists who don't get their selfie. If the group just charges for bare bones accommodations and lets anyone take a stab, like her group did, there's going to be some people who have no business being on Everest in the first place pushing their way up and dying.

The version of Into Thin Air I read had an epilogue with Krakauer apologizing for insulting Boukreev and for any errors he may have made in the original.