Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

Its weird how many people think that Boba just lost his armor. Am I the only one who thinks he abandoned it on purpose?

That's my take on it too. Dude managed to escape the Sarlac, was beat the gently caress up beyond all reasonable measure and probably decided "Eh, maybe it's a good time for 'Boba Fett' to just die.", sold the armor to the Jawas and just decided to live simpler life as a local scavenger on Tattooine. But then this new Mandalorian guy shows up and just starts dropping bounty hunters left and right. Then, a few months later... he comes back. He blows up a Kyrat Dragon and then walks away hauling off Boba's old armor. Now that's attention grabbing. That might be something worth resurrecting 'Boba Fett' for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I can see Boba cooperating with Din right away. He’s never been an evil character just a mercenary who chooses some questionable clients. The same could be said for Solo, Aphra, pretty much everyone in Rogue One and Din himself.

It would perfectly in line for Star Wars to give him a redemption.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Must suck to have super fancy armor that everyone wants for themselves. If I was the Mandalorian, I'd wear Boba Fett's lovely armor all the time now and only use the beskar set for weddings

Also I can't believe the mandalorian doesn't know how to pronounce ichor, what an illiterate rear end in a top hat

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

That's my take on it too. Dude managed to escape the Sarlac, was beat the gently caress up beyond all reasonable measure and probably decided "Eh, maybe it's a good time for 'Boba Fett' to just die.", sold the armor to the Jawas and just decided to live simpler life as a local scavenger on Tattooine. But then this new Mandalorian guy shows up and just starts dropping bounty hunters left and right. Then, a few months later... he comes back. He blows up a Kyrat Dragon and then walks away hauling off Boba's old armor. Now that's attention grabbing. That might be something worth resurrecting 'Boba Fett' for...

Also Jabba the Hutt is dead, Vader is dead, and the rebels actually won. Fett went from getting a giant payday and a cushy bodyguard job to waking up to a whole new galaxy...with the Jedi now back in charge. And the New Republic probably won't be too friendly with a guy who was gunning after their leaders on behalf of the Empire.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Edmund Lava posted:

I can see Boba cooperating with Din right away. He’s never been an evil character just a mercenary who chooses some questionable clients. The same could be said for Solo, Aphra, pretty much everyone in Rogue One and Din himself.

"I'm trying to return this child to the Jedi."

"Oh, you mean the guys who decapitated my father in front of me?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fett is ~41 or 42 by the time he appears in this episode of Mandolorian, so he's not ancient or anything. Honestly I don't think his reputation has taken TOO big of a hit because he was probably one of the only survivors, if not THE only survivor from Jabba's demise.

I thought it was a nice touch that his armor's paint was partially melted off in this episode as well, showing damage from Sarlacc's stomach acid I'm assuming.

Fett wasn't the only survivor. This we know. He was maybe just one of the only survivors among Jabba's forces. Because if you don't think that General Han "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" Solo, Hero of the Rebellion, didn't tell the story of how he sent Boba Fett rocketing into the Sarlacc maw to all and sundry at the slightest excuse, you're pretty much high.

Age probably won't be as much of a factor in the inevitable confrontation between Boba and Din because they're probably pretty close to the same age, with Din being maybe a couple-five years younger.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

redreader posted:

Excuse me if this has already been covered, but how did fake boba fett get a missile after he used the missile in a flashback? Or does that jetpack have multiple missiles stored in it? It didn't seem to because after he shot the missile in the flashback, a replacement didn't slot in.

It would be interesting if it got revealed that he never did use the missile, and he was spinning a yarn about what he did to save the town and actually covering up more unscrupulous acts.

Captain Splendid posted:

Ironic that the director that started the MCU made a good Star Wars TV show while the Star Wars films that were most like the MCU sucked balls.

The MCU is an extremely efficient machine, which is why the films keep getting good reviews and making insane amounts of cash. Making so many films so fast with such interconnected plots is really difficult, so everything you see starts the planning process years in advance in full coordination with the other projects in various states of production. Characters who have expected solo films can be given cameos (or even major supporting roles, like Black Panther in Civil War) to take care of casting and set up their characterization. All of the work as a whole is being looked at to make sure it all fits together as smoothly as can be done with such a huge project. You only run into issues when something comes up so many years in the future that an unexpected retcon is needed; the Infinity Gauntlet was seen in Thor as an Easter Egg, but then the Gauntlet becomes what the entire franchise revolves around, so you simply write in Hela as dismissing it as a fake after she conquers Asgard.

The Star Wars sequels had an incredibly rushed and chaotic production by comparison. Disney initially wanted a summer 2015 release, which would have only given a few months at most for doing the new script with Abrams when he was hired on (after lots of drafts and potential writers and directors were shopped around), and he was very thankful to get it delayed to December. Even so, the script was being changed until 4 months before filming. Casting for most major roles wasn't even finished until weeks before filming began. Meanwhile, nobody had even started the script for the next film until principal photography was almost done; Johnson had to ask Abrams to quickly change the ending to TFA because he was writing Luke completely different (Abrams wanted him as a generic Obi-Wan/Yoda wise mentor and wrote the final scene as such) and there was still no plan at all for what would be done with the final film. But you're giving fans deadlines, so you gotta work!

With The Mandalorian, none of those problems exist. You have a team of producers who know what they're doing and are able to hire good writers and directors to fit with a consistent idea of how the show should be, and one of them is the creator of Clone Wars and Rebels so you've got an advantage in knowing that characters who appeared in those will probably be written properly when they show up here. None of the writers or directors are fighting with each other or trying to angrily retcon a past episode's events. It creates a much smoother and more self-contained environment instead of the chaos Disney's hastiness with the films created.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Fett's play was brilliant. Once the Marshal had the armor, anyone who would be looking for Boba Fett or Mandalorians in general would come find this guy, who we could assume Boba just hung out in the town keeping an eye on. He had a giant Tusken sniper rifle so it seemed to me like he might have picked off people before who came to look.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Everyone posted:

Fett wasn't the only survivor. This we know. He was maybe just one of the only survivors among Jabba's forces. Because if you don't think that General Han "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" Solo, Hero of the Rebellion, didn't tell the story of how he sent Boba Fett rocketing into the Sarlacc maw to all and sundry at the slightest excuse, you're pretty much high.

Age probably won't be as much of a factor in the inevitable confrontation between Boba and Din because they're probably pretty close to the same age, with Din being maybe a couple-five years younger.

Spoiler-y question: Do we know it wasn't just an easter eggy cameo? Has anything leaked about it?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

redreader posted:

Excuse me if this has already been covered, but how did fake boba fett get a missile after he used the missile in a flashback? Or does that jetpack have multiple missiles stored in it? It didn't seem to because after he shot the missile in the flashback, a replacement didn't slot in.

Mandrel pretty much covered this but... they're on Tatooine, the black market paradise. He bought another one. I mean, while he never fires them again in the movies as far as I know, we can assume that after the First Death Star went Ka-Blam that Luke got reloads for the proton torpedoes he fired from his X-Wing.

The idea that Cobb obtained another missile, especially given the poo poo-ton of explosives those miners had, does not require much suspension of disbelief.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

unlimited shrimp posted:

Spoiler-y question: Do we know it wasn't just an easter eggy cameo? Has anything leaked about it?

That would be astoundingly, bafflingly stupid writing is why.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lol i thought of S1 thread too when this happened

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

Mandrel pretty much covered this but... they're on Tatooine, the black market paradise. He bought another one. I mean, while he never fires them again in the movies as far as I know, we can assume that after the First Death Star went Ka-Blam that Luke got reloads for the proton torpedoes he fired from his X-Wing.

The idea that Cobb obtained another missile, especially given the poo poo-ton of explosives those miners had, does not require much suspension of disbelief.

The missile on the pack wasn't even the one Boba had on it when the Sarlacc ate him, so I bet the Marshal probably just bought a case of them off Space eBay

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chitoryu12 posted:

Johnson had to ask Abrams to quickly change the ending to TFA because he was writing Luke completely different (Abrams wanted him as a generic Obi-Wan/Yoda wise mentor and wrote the final scene as such)

Johnson asked Abrams to change TFA's ending because he wanted R2-D2 on Ahch-To, not BB-8. That was the extent of Johnson's involvement there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mandalorians seem pretty practicaly-minded, and we know they are all able to maintain all of their equipment whilst operating independently so I'm sure they would be using conventional standards to allow the use of third-party munitions and generic components.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Timby posted:

Johnson asked Abrams to change TFA's ending because he wanted R2-D2 on Ahch-To, not BB-8. That was the extent of Johnson's involvement there.

So what about the ending being a shot of Luke floating with a bunch of rocks hovering around him, showing his Force powers?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly trying to rationalize the person in my head that I think of as Boba Fett with the bullshit from prequel trilogy kinda sucks.

I’d honestly rather those weren’t ... canon?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

So what about the ending being a shot of Luke floating with a bunch of rocks hovering around him, showing his Force powers?

Not sure if that was a request from Johnson or just an evolution in how the scene was gonna be done, but yeah, that was Abrams first idea--that Luke was SO POWERFUL that the rocks just floated all around him without his conscious effort

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's your conflict right there. Din wants to return the child to his people, The Jedi. Fett's father was murdered in front of him by a Jedi, deployed there by specifically Yoda

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That episode was super fun. I loved how the Western tropes were lavishly applied, from the "small town needing help from a mysterious visitor" to "the hero works with the native population (but much less problematic)." The Mandalorian is rapidly becoming one of my favorite parts of new Star Wars now after TLJ and Rebels, and I hope the rest of the season can maintain this momentum.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize what the last shot was supposed to be, but I'm excited to see where they take it. I bet it was just a coincidence, but there was a Legends comic where Boba Fett did the whole "I'll technically not kill you and let something else kill you instead" bit as well.

Also, Timothy Olyphant's character definitely reminded me of his character from Justified, which then just made me remember when he showed up on The Good Place basically playing his character from Justified. Now I kinda want to see the cast from there to show up in some kind of role. Also was it just me, or did it look like the Marshal's speeder bike was a converted pod racer? Maybe even Anakin's? I thought the engine looked similar.

Munkaboo posted:

I kept dropping KOTOR tidbits to my wife and talking about someone taking bobas armor calling himself the sheriff at the beginning of the episode. Called everything in the best way possible down the the krayt pearl. So glad they did the pearl, it's the first real KOTOR reference in live action.

Oh hey, that's cool. I thought Krayt Pearls showed up somewhere else, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally a KotOR thing.

EDIT: I just realized that Mando's plan to kill the Krayt Dragon is a set up to justify how Fett escaped the Sarlacc Pit. :aaa:

EDIT 2: Okay looks like most of my stuff was already answered. Guess I need to catch up on the thread.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 2, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PunkBoy posted:

Also, Timothy Olyphant's character definitely reminded me of his character from Justified, which then just made me remember when he showed up on The Good Place basically playing his character from Justified.

Technically he was playing himself in The Good Place, but, iirc at this own suggestion, he was wearing pieces of his Raylan costume.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The pearls had to have shown up at some point in the EU before KoTR, the Decipher Star Wars ccg makes mention of the pearls being super valuable and created by the dragons gizzard to crush up creatures it swallows whole.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What if all this time Baby Yoda has been pulling a Nibbler from Futurama, and is only pretending to be a child?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PunkBoy posted:

Oh hey, that's cool. I thought Krayt Pearls showed up somewhere else, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally a KotOR thing.

They first appeared in the book Darksaber, but KOTOR and Galaxies are the most likely places for a Star Wars fan to have seen them. They were also much smaller in the old canon, from the size of a golf ball to a cantaloupe.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The darksaber seems like a 13 year old fanfiction creation. Hope this show changes my mind.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

jivjov posted:

Not sure if that was a request from Johnson or just an evolution in how the scene was gonna be done, but yeah, that was Abrams first idea--that Luke was SO POWERFUL that the rocks just floated all around him without his conscious effort

I just went back and watched the end of TFA again because I thought I had missed something in the 5 years or however long it's been out. But no, I didn't, so what the hell are you two talking about? Luke is just standing on the cliff at the end of TFA, there's no rocks hovering around him. That wouldn't even make sense because the whole point of TLJ was that Luke had cut himself off from The Force.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CubanMissile posted:

The darksaber seems like a 13 year old fanfiction creation. Hope this show changes my mind.

Embrace your inner 13yo and just go with it. Feel some semblance of joy again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you can accept Lightsabers but cannot Darksabers, that’s racist

https://twitter.com/josiahhughes/status/1323077866809106433?s=21

This made me lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just went back and watched the end of TFA again because I thought I had missed something in the 5 years or however long it's been out. But no, I didn't, so what the hell are you two talking about? Luke is just standing on the cliff at the end of TFA, there's no rocks hovering around him. That wouldn't even make sense because the whole point of TLJ was that Luke had cut himself off from The Force.

Originally rey was gonna find Luke floating in midair surrounded by tons of boulders, and she'd have bb8 with her. Johnson asked to not have Luke showing any force powers and to swap bb8 with r2d2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, Abrams' original idea was to have a bunch of floating rocks surrounding him. I think there's even some concept art of it. That ended up not actually making it into the movie. Quite possibly due to Johnson requesting that be changed to support the idea of Luke being cut off from the force.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Edmund Lava posted:

"I want them alive. NO DISINTEGRATIONS.

Dude was definitely more of a Bounty Killer than Hunter.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CubanMissile posted:

It's an ancient lightsaber that the mandos stole and appeared in clone wars cartoons, it's absolutely a 13 year old fanfiction creation and that's why it's rad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

He was also extremely concerned with getting Han to Jabba alive and raised an objection when Vader came up with is cockamamie carbonite scheme because he was worried it would kill him.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I always saw that as "i want them in one piece without you disintegrating their legs again goddamnit fett"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spookydonut posted:

I always saw that as "i want them in one piece without you disintegrating their legs again goddamnit fett"

Maybe Vader was just sensitive about that, as a triple-amputee.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vader was racist and confused Boba for the mandalorian

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jerkface posted:

Vader was racist and confused Boba for the mandalorian

Could very well be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwsMYJdmutQ

10:00 if the time link doesn't work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Maybe Vader was just sensitive about that, as a triple-amputee.

Vader has a lot of Mustafar PTSD flashbacks

https://twitter.com/TheSWU/status/1273360458238615552

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was it me, or did the Krayt dragon seem to only eat and puke on Tusken raiders? Like, it may have had something to do with age ratings, but I felt really sorry for those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

PunkBoy posted:

Also was it just me, or did it look like the Marshal's speeder bike was a converted pod racer? Maybe even Anakin's? I thought the engine looked similar.

Definitely not just you. The speeder had two "wings" in the front while Anakin's racer engine had three, but they're extremely similar. I actually prefer the idea that Anakin cobbled his racer together from two broken speeder bikes.