Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also another Soma question... Is there an ending where you are the version of yourself who leaves on the ship? I never played it through a second time to find out.

Uhh... it's been a while but did you sit through the credits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also another Soma question... Is there an ending where you are the version of yourself who leaves on the ship? I never played it through a second time to find out.

If you mean the satellite then yes? It's a part of the ending after the credits where you play Simon on the ark. You see it if you beat the game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Looks like someone didn't fill out their Questionnaire properly. :smuggo:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Manager Hoyden posted:

That’s the thing, Catherine’s “coin flip” analogy is bullshit to get Simon to wrap his head around the idea of dual consciousness because he’s too slow on the uptake - there are always two Simons, the narrative is just choosing to follow the one left behind at that moment.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
after watching Color Out of Space, Vivarium, and Annihilation almost back to back, watching some YouTubes and then losing my internet access for like three days, getting it back and smoking a lot of weed I have a hypothesis:

The "invasive horror" of previous generations ("oh no, a monster is in my nice house/summer camp/normal dreams") is giving way more often now to "structural horror" ("oh no, my house/the town/the system as we know it is in fact the whole monster") due to cultural differences in the era. A killer in my house scares me less than it does my parents; my house already fails to feel safe. I can barely afford to live here, and it's one of just many temporary accommodations I've had to make. It is not a proper home to be violated. It is already a hostile environment. I can't afford summer camp. All of my dreams are horrifying. This is life for me and a poo poo ton of other people.

On the other hand--finding out that it's worse than you imagined, finding out that the problem is that much greater than you, that much more unfightable, that you're not just a victim of something systemic and widespread but you're literally a feast for it to eagerly consume,

I think that hits differently.

Cosmic horror and body horror kind of play into both concepts, but in tonally different ways--so stuff like The Thing and Alien are pretty hosed up for everybody even if you have different explanations for what's scary about 'em. I can't tell if a lot of horror video games are a product of this and devs being ahead of their time, or if they just helped stoke the mentality (chicken or egg, Japanese developers in an increasingly crunch driven miserable industry, honk honk), but by nature of needing you to explore a whole-rear end town or police station or whatever games like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame also leaned hard into the "place is itself the enemy" concept.

also as fake news becomes more of a thing and mental illness gets talked about more, the "oh no I can't trust my own knowledge" YOU WERE THE KILLER bullshit is only going to get less and less frightening (starting at zero and going down)

edit: framing it in terms of generations is probably wrong, but I feel like there's a clear cultural divide vis a vis the sort of thing what scares you

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 31, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes, after the credits iirc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cardiovorax posted:

House on the Hill has some issues, but is overall a very solid game, so that was a good purchase.

I'm glad to hear this, I'm about to give it a whirl.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm glad to hear this, I'm about to give it a whirl.
You won't see the ending coming, I can promise you that much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Does Little Hope have your characters hallucinating for the scares again?

Spoilers for Little Hope, which I generally enjoyed a lot. Best Dark Pictures game IMO.

The basic gist:
The conceit is that they are trapped in a town where centuries ago a bunch of people were murdered as suspected witches, and for whatever reason time seems to be leaking and letting the two time periods touch occasionally, allowing mysterious horrors from the past through.

Massive Little Hope ending spoilers:
What is actually going on is that one of the guys in the party has a traumatic connection to Little Hope, and has gone completely crazy by being forced to confront the town again. Almost everything happening in the game are his delusions.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Der Shovel posted:

Spoilers for Little Hope, which I generally enjoyed a lot. Best Dark Pictures game IMO.

The basic gist:
The conceit is that they are trapped in a town where centuries ago a bunch of people were murdered as suspected witches, and for whatever reason time seems to be leaking and letting the two time periods touch occasionally, allowing mysterious horrors from the past through.

What is actually going on is that one of the guys in the party has a traumatic connection to Little Hope, and has gone completely crazy by being forced to confront the town again. Almost everything happening in the game are his delusions.

ah that's a hard pass then.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Der Shovel posted:

The basic gist:

Didn't they already do the Everything was a delusion in Man of Medan? Just with the catalyst being drugs, rather than trauma

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cnidaria posted:

My real question with soma is how many millions of copies of simon woke up in various circumstances before the game began? His mind was basically a training tool for designing AI so he has probably been created and killed so many times even before the WAU decided to use him.
This is one of the most horrifying implications of everything that happens in Soma, although it didn't even sink in for me until I played it a second time. The idea that your consciousness can be ripped out and shoved into a randomly chosen host, just so carelessly taking your entire concept of self and the sum of who you are and treating it as software that can be subjected to the whims of whoever is doing the scanning. This happens to many bots you run across in the game, most disturbing to me is the one you come across that's powered on but all sensory input has been switched off so it's just sitting there in a senseless void going insaneIt definitely happened to many, many iterations of Simon, given his scan was one of the first prototypes and was used and iterated on throughout the years.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This is one of the most horrifying implications of everything that happens in Soma, although it didn't even sink in for me until I played it a second time. The idea that your consciousness can be ripped out and shoved into a randomly chosen host, just so carelessly taking your entire concept of self and the sum of who you are and treating it as software that can be subjected to the whims of whoever is doing the scanning. This happens to many bots you run across in the game, most disturbing to me is the one you come across that's powered on but all sensory input has been switched off so it's just sitting there in a senseless void going insaneIt definitely happened to many, many iterations of Simon, given his scan was one of the first prototypes and was used and iterated on throughout the years.

The part of the game where you power on copies of minds to try and get the security code is hosed up. It's great when horror makes you complicit in whats going on since it really emphasizes just how bad it is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So how's that visage game? I saw it came out for consoles recently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It is probably the best of the haunted house narrative adventure games. They ironed out the inscrutable mechanics early on and it has some legit good scares. I would say it’s worth it if you want the closest thing to the concept of PT: a narrative haunted house adventure game with actual mechanics and puzzles.

E: it was scary enough to makes James Wolfe shriek and pause which I feel like is a seal of quality because that guy is dead inside. It wasn’t even a jump scare, he just turned around to see someone quietly staring at him around a corner.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 1, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Re: Little Hope spoilers

like the poster above, I've never seen such a promising game so totally blow it so hard in the last five minutes. I hope that "it was all a dream/delusion/drugs all along" isn't just the series standard because it is at 2 for 2 right now. my wife and I marathoned it today and all our theories turned out 50x more interesting than what actually happened. Man of Medan at least hinted at the drugs as a real part of the story, Little Hope just pulled it straight out of their rear end.

Making it so that you can get people killed at the very last second just because you played them like real people doing their best rather than doing cognitive theory on them all game is bullshit too. I just have no urge to replay it because none of your decisions even meant anything and it doesn't even make sense for the guy to do any of what he did. Like someone a few pages back was saying, I wish horror games could just say "you escaped the monster and fixed the trials, good job" instead of having to make everything about a metaphor for alcoholism or whatever

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 1, 2020

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Visage has some awesome atmosphere so far.

The controls are mega hot garbo garbage though.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Kitty Horrorshow is back!

Just some stuff that was previously available only to patrons, but it looks like she's serious about making games again.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.
Ey, check out this compilation of PS1 styled collection of short games. 20 in all, each game is made by a developer which follows up on the previous game in line.

https://papercookies.itch.io/chain

Quality will ofcourse vary, but I had a blast. I especially liked the one with the smartphone found footage. (PS1 trappings are taken with liberties.)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

NAG posted:

Kitty Horrorshow is back!

Just some stuff that was previously available only to patrons, but it looks like she's serious about making games again.

As a KH patron, I can confirm that these are all great! Especially the sequel to her earlier "Grandmother" game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I picked up Layers of Fear yesterday since it was on sale and I had some steambux sitting around. I don't know if it amounts to anything in the end, but its core gimmick of the mansion changing itself around you is pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of parts of House of Leaves, although it's pretty obviously designed around giving you traversal puzzles here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bloober team's games are the sort that give walking simulators a bad name

i'm very interested in Visage but the reviews i'm reading suggest that waiting another few weeks for patches might be prudent

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Kona which was a fairly decent walking sim with pretty Firewatch-y graphics and some light survival horror. Unfortunately you can really feel the limitations of its budget and I implore you to turn on French voices because the English narrator is sleepier than the protagonist of CoC Dark Corners. Kind of an interesting setting being a folk horror story set in French Canada at the height of the Cold War.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

bloober team's games are the sort that give walking simulators a bad name

Lol ah well, maybe I'll look around the spooky house for a bit and then get my credit back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought Kona was pretty good. It really gets that atmosphere of being stuck in a snowed-in backwater town.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

House on the Hill has some issues, but is overall a very solid game, so that was a good purchase.

This was the other one I bought in the spooky sale, and....eh, it's okay. The gimmick is pretty neat and kept me playing to see what happened with it, but then everything just kind of peters out at the tail end and it feels like a story I've seen a million times.

And most of it feels like the ploddy, very simple gameplay that folks complain about in these things. I'm pretty sure I'd get bored walking down the street as slowly as this dude does when there's something spooky chasing him. I liked the camera section and some of the dungeon sequence, but otherwise a lot of it felt like the "click on the only usable thing in the room and use it" kind of play. It's also unpolished in a lot of ways, since it's in early access. Overall it's not terrible, just not especially good, and kinda just has me wondering how closely Steam looks at refunds for games you've beaten within the general return time window.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, different tastes, I guess. I appreciated the way it put a clever spin on what looks like a by-the-numbers spooky house game and then ends up really taking you for a pretty crazy ride.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Has Little Hope chat mentioned the Asian pilgrim? Did anyone else find that insignificant detail rather odd?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ZDar Fan posted:

Has Little Hope chat mentioned the Asian pilgrim? Did anyone else find that insignificant detail rather odd?

It's bizarrely coincidental that you mention this (or that I just read this post) because I'm watching ChristopherOdd's LP of it right now and the character in question popped up literally 10 seconds beforehand, and I thought the exact same thing.

EDIT: Somebody pointed out that it's apparently the same guy from the first scene (where the house burns down): He's the bystander behind Anthony at the very end of the scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwR5IV1eCCM&t=1304s

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 2, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Really starting to think Until Dawn was a one-in-a-lifetime fluke and Supermassive is actually just not great at making things

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Until Dawn wasn’t all that great, Oscar winning cast notwithstanding

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Man of Medan* and Hidden Agenda

*I got it for $10 which was a great value

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've watched worse teen slasher movies than Until Dawn, but I'll admit that I don't consider that a very high bar to live up to.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Here's a good small one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGYMLHCcnNM

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ZDar Fan posted:

Ending spoiler

He's the judge because when the main character ran outside after the house caught fire the asian man ran up and accused him of starting the fire, hence being mentally cast as a "judge" in the delusion.

Blockhouse posted:

Really starting to think Until Dawn was a one-in-a-lifetime fluke and Supermassive is actually just not great at making things

They're set up to make at least two more games so I guess we'll see if the magic can hit twice, although I'm afraid that they are falling into the trap that Ari Aster, blessed be his name, has caused a lot of recent media to follow.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 2, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Until Dawn basically had a blank check from when Sony was throwing money around to anyone that pitched a PlayStation Move game. It went through so many revisions that it's a miracle it actually came out and didn't bomb.

It puts the weird story in context. Supermassive were making a teenager slasher style game but once Move support dropped they hired on a horror movie writer/director/producer whose most notable work is a film called Wendigo.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

It puts the weird story in context. Supermassive were making a teenager slasher style game but once Move support dropped they hired on a horror movie writer/director/producer whose most notable work is a film called Wendigo.

quote:

Box office
The film opened in limited release, was not a major box office attraction, and only scored $1,107 at opening weekend, making it one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.[1]

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I appreciate the surety of purpose of someone who failed on wendigos that hard and then over a decade later figured that film was just the wrong medium and went back for a second stab. The man likes his wendigos.

Actually, looking at his wiki page,

"As an actor, screenwriter, director and film editor, he has worked, in addition to feature films, on such television projects as the NBC horror anthology Fear Itself (2008), directing the episode "Skin and Bones". "

quote:

Elena Edlund, her sons Derek and Tim and her brother-in-law and lover Rowdy Edlund are worried about the fate of the rancher Grady Edlund, who has disappeared in the mountains for several days. Out of the blue, Grady returns skinny and starved. The Indian Eddie Bear tells the story of the flesh-eater Wendigo and soon the family learns that Grady was possessed by the demon.

quote:

(in 2016) The same year also saw Fessenden release a book titled, Sudden Storm, A Wendigo Reader.

Fessenden also played the role of a mysterious stranger armed with a flamethrower in the game itself.

drat dude turn the page in your monster manual

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 2, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Soma, the game Narcosis is 75% off on Steam right now, making it $3.75.

It’s a fun “walking simulator”-ish game with VR support set around an undersea disaster, the voice acting is great, and under $4 is a great price for it.

the ending “twist” is really well executed and a hell of a gut-punch, too.

I just finished it in VR. Pro tip: if you're playing on the Quest via Virtual Desktop, turn off hand tracking or you'll be shooting flares at random.

It was a solid experience. A little light on being spooky, but it had a solid story and environments. I kind of wish it was more of a straight up walking simulator that made it hard to miss picking up collectables. I missed a handful of them, and the gameplay isn't fun enough for me to go back and get them.

Watching the survivor leave you behind did give me Soma flashbacks. I kind of wish the game made you sit there until you ran out of oxygen to show how lovely a death that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I appreciate the surety of purpose of someone who failed on wendigos that hard and then over a decade later figured that film was just the wrong medium and went back for a second stab. The man likes his wendigos.

Actually, looking at his wiki page,

"As an actor, screenwriter, director and film editor, he has worked, in addition to feature films, on such television projects as the NBC horror anthology Fear Itself (2008), directing the episode "Skin and Bones". "

drat dude turn the page in your monster manual

Obviously, he is a Wendigo himself, but knows the world isn't ready to accept him for he is. This is all a desperate attempt to get people to start thinking about Wendigos and realize that they have a unique and rich culture. They shouldn't be forced to hide in the shadows just because they are a bit different and have a strange diet.