Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah, pretty sure that's exactly what they do.

For something like four roses, it's the only way to get recipes other than the sole one they use for single barrel (OBVS, using their recipe code). All the other recipes get blended into their other products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Inspector 34 posted:

How do store picks work? Do they send someone to sample a barrel (seems unlikely) and purchase accordingly or something? I guess what I'm wondering is why would a store pick bottle be any different from the regular product?

There's 2 ways:
1. A person associated with the store or group visits the distillery and samples a selection of barrels (usually between 4-6, but sometimes up to 12)
2. Same thing but the distillery or distributor sends small sample bottles of those same barrels to the store or group

Regular product is often not single barrel (buffalo trace or Elijah craig, for example) so the flavors may vary and it may have a different profile. Same thing with the age. Your knob creek 9 year single barrel as a barrel pick, for example may be 12-15 years sometimes (knob creek puts the dates on the bottle, for buffalo trace or heaven hill products you'd need to ask the store owner the age)
In the case of four roses and now old forester, they're also barrel proof.
Four roses picks are different recipes from their yeast and mashbill, but the standard single barrel is always obsv, but the picks can be any of the 10

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Anyone have an idea if the Maker's store pick bottles are good in general? One of my locals has a store pick bottled at about 107 proof for ~65 bucks. Maker's isn't generally one of my go-tos but the single barrel is decent and this store picked a pretty good Knob Rye barrel in the past.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Anyone have an idea if the Maker's store pick bottles are good in general? One of my locals has a store pick bottled at about 107 proof for ~65 bucks. Maker's isn't generally one of my go-tos but the single barrel is decent and this store picked a pretty good Knob Rye barrel in the past.

Their cask strength variant is pretty good so may be worth a try.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since I'm not spending money going out every weekend, what are some bottles I should try under $80? For American whiskey, I generally prefer rye to bourbon. Bulleit Rye is fine. I also like Rittenhouse and Old Overholt but IIRC those were a bit harsh. For single malts, I generally prefer peat and smoke. I know I like Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig 10, and Lagavulin 16. I recently purchased Macallan 15 and Glenmorangie 18 because they were on sale and both were disappointing. I also had Macallan 30 a few years back and thought it was meh. My favorite whiskey that I've tried is Yamazaki 18 (I think the 12 is junk).

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

Since I'm not spending money going out every weekend, what are some bottles I should try under $80? For American whiskey, I generally prefer rye to bourbon. Bulleit Rye is fine. I also like Rittenhouse and Old Overholt but IIRC those were a bit harsh. For single malts, I generally prefer peat and smoke. I know I like Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig 10, and Lagavulin 16. I recently purchased Macallan 15 and Glenmorangie 18 because they were on sale and both were disappointing. I also had Macallan 30 a few years back and thought it was meh. My favorite whiskey that I've tried is Yamazaki 18 (I think the 12 is junk).

If you like a very easy drinking rye, Pendleton 1910 might be up your alley. Canadian, 12 yr aged, and right around $30ish.

As for peaty, maybe give Talisker a spin?

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Stocking up for election night.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Maker's mark 101?? Haven't seen that one before.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Maker's mark 101?? Haven't seen that one before.

Apparently it's a new option they first released for duty free only then transitioned into a "holiday release." For $30 I decided to give it a try, at 101 proof it's only 9 proof short of their cask strength option.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

High-Rye Bourbons:
Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch Select
New Riff Single Barrel or Bottled In Bond

Rye:
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel or 6 year
Pikesville
Mitcher's
Willett 4 year (if you can find it)
High West Double Rye, Rendezvous Rye, or Midwinter Nights Dram ($90-100 but worth it)

Peated Scotch:
Port Charlotte 10 Year
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Ledaig (any)
Compass Box Peat Monster

Balanced Scotch:
Springbank
Oban
Benromach
Compass Box Spice Tree

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
How do you all feel about basil Hayden Dark rye?

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I'm planning on whipping up a batch of aged eggnog this year via alton browns recipe. It calls for one cup Jamaican rum, one cup cognac, one cup bourbon. I wonder, though. Im not a huge brandy or rum drinker, but I see the benefit of the saccharine sweetness they can provide. I was thinking WT101, and plantation rum, but I'm left without a budget cognac option. Something like E&J feels like a waste. Was considering leaving it out and upping the other two, but I don't know. Any suggestions from someone that has has good experience making their own aged egg nog?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol there's so much booze just pour in a a cup of korbel or whatever bottom shelf brandy you can find, you're not gonna taste the difference with the insane amount of eggs and cream and spices added

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you don't like it and won't drink it otherwise, just leave it out. You can tweak the flavors as you're preparing it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Spotted a bottle of Caribbean cask 14 in the supermarket. Can’t wait to try it. Every time I’ve looked on Amazon it’s been oos. Sounds right up my street

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Casu Marzu posted:

lol there's so much booze just pour in a a cup of korbel or whatever bottom shelf brandy you can find, you're not gonna taste the difference with the insane amount of eggs and cream and spices added

Speaking for personal experience this is exactly right. Last year I used Larceny, Appleton Estate, and Paul Masson for my nog, and nobody had any complaints. The pound of sugar really covers up a lot of sins.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Paul Masson VSOP is certainly good enough for eggnog, it goes for ~$12

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toebone posted:

Paul Masson VSOP is certainly good enough for eggnog, it goes for ~$12

aHAaAa the French oeuf nogé

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

High-Rye Bourbons:
Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch Select

Rye:
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel or 6 year
Pikesville
Mitcher's
Willett 4 year (if you can find it)
High West Double Rye, Rendezvous Rye, or Midwinter Nights Dram ($90-100 but worth it)

Peated Scotch:
Port Charlotte 10 Year
Kilchoman Machir Bay
Ledaig (any)
Compass Box Peat Monster

Balanced Scotch:
Springbank
Oban
Benromach
Compass Box Spice Tree
I believe I’ve had Michter’s, Compass Box Spice Tree, Springbank, and Midsummer Night’s Dram in the past but it’s been a while. I want to say I had Pikesville when I first moved to the DC area in 2018 and didn’t like the finish. I’ve definitely had Oban and CleverHans’s suggestion of Talisker though not recently, and I recall liking them. They’re on sale across the river in DC so I’ll pick them up later this week.

Russell’s Reserve 6 year and High West Double Rye were both on sale here at the Virginia ABC so I picked them up along with Uigeadail which was also on sale, perfect timing since I just finished my previous bottle.

I might have had the High West 3-4 years ago but I still like it here. It’s lighter than the Russell’s Reserve which has a much stronger nose and I think I prefer.

It seems like the Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch Select both have fans and I should really get them both at the same time to try side by side. Is the regular Small Batch worth a look?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2020

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent whiskey advent calendar? I’ve seen a few but they seem extremely expensive for what they offer. I know there will be a premium but some of the ones I’ve seen seem like pretty bad deals.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I had a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel in the Cabinet of Vice and I cracked it last night to calm my nerves.

Today it's a celebration tipple.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Wife and I got advent calendars from Spirit Co this year - rum for her and last year's whisky one for me, but obviously we haven't tried them yet. But the prices were more reasonable-ish (they have different price points) and customer service has been great so far. I feel like you're always getting hosed price-wise with alcohol advent calendars, but you pay for the fun of it.

Shockingly I didn't drink nearly as much as predicted last night or tonight.

I've got a bottle of Ardbeg Blaaaaack on hand as a celebration bottle, but still not comfortable enough with the results to break it open. Hopefully tomorrow!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a kuroyashi pure malt 18 I stashed away from our trip to Japan a few years ago that I decided was gonna be my celebration drink.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CBS Sunday Morning had a story on Pappy Van Winkle and it left me craving bourbon but I thought there was none in the house. Then I remembered!

Paid too much money for a small Smugglers Notch whiskey sampler when we were on vacation in Vermont a year or 2 ago. Not a whole lot on the nose but it reminds me a little of mellow corn at the start. This has got to be the mildest bourbon I've ever had. Bottle says 90 proof but I've had beers with more of a bite than this. Little toasted corn but its otherwise the Ned Flanders of bourbon. It's sweet. Mouthfeel is a little syrupy which I tend to prefer.

Oh well. It scratched the itch for now but not something I think I would recommend or look for in the future.

Edit: Unrelated but gently caress the Cowboys.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 8, 2020

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Man, I had another dram of this 15 year knob creek store pick and drat is it good. It’s sad that these are likely going to be a thing of the past :(.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So I owe someone a gift and I've found out their favorite drink is seagrams. So obviously I'll get them that, but is there something similar that's better/rarer that I could get them as well? I know almost nothing about whiskey

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Uhhhhh. Maybe Crown? Isn't seagrams basically Canadian style whiskey?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I don't want to come off like a whiskey snob (even though this is the whiskey thread), but I have to imagine that someone whose favorite drink is Seagrams isn't someone who's into high-end/rare whiskey.

If you're dead set on buying a bottle of booze, some of the higher-end barrel aged whiskey cocktails like High West makes (like https://www.highwest.com/products/36th-vote-barreled-manhattan and https://www.highwest.com/products/old-fashioned-barrel-finished-cocktail) aren't bad at around $45? Just as an alternative to trying to find something the friend actually likes.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I don't want to come off like a whiskey snob (even though this is the whiskey thread), but I have to imagine that someone whose favorite drink is Seagrams isn't someone who's into high-end/rare whiskey.

If you're dead set on buying a bottle of booze, some of the higher-end barrel aged whiskey cocktails like High West makes (like https://www.highwest.com/products/36th-vote-barreled-manhattan and https://www.highwest.com/products/old-fashioned-barrel-finished-cocktail) aren't bad at around $45? Just as an alternative to trying to find something the friend actually likes.

Oh yeah no worries, I kinda figured I might be storming into the steak thread and asking if there's a better burger than hardees! I'll give those a look, thanks

Lowness 72 posted:

Uhhhhh. Maybe Crown? Isn't seagrams basically Canadian style whiskey?

This sounds like a safe option too, thank you

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seagram’s is pretty mild, so buying someone a “nice” whiskey may backfire. A safer bet may be to look for a quality wheated bourbon, like 1792 wheated bourbon or Larceny wheated.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Calvert Woodley, one of the two biggest liquor stores in DC and they had Willet 4 year rye for $56. Picked up a bottle and it’s... okay? I think I need to stick to peated Scotches.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 14, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

So I owe someone a gift and I've found out their favorite drink is seagrams. So obviously I'll get them that, but is there something similar that's better/rarer that I could get them as well? I know almost nothing about whiskey

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is tasty, modestly acclaimed, somewhat similar, broadly available, and reasonably priced (~$25 I believe). Not rare in any sense of the word but a nice dram if they're into Canadian stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anyone celebrating Dunnett day with some scotch?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Vox Nihili posted:

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is tasty, modestly acclaimed, somewhat similar, broadly available, and reasonably priced (~$25 I believe). Not rare in any sense of the word but a nice dram if they're into Canadian stuff.

This is a great idea actually. Bottle of crown northern harvest rye. Also if they know nothing about whiskey and Google it, I think it won top whiskey of the year a few years back.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

The other option I'd suggest would be something like Basil Hayden's

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My wife claims her favorite bourbon is Buffalo Trace, but I wonder if maybe thats just because we only are able to get it every so often. Any recommendations for similar bourbon around the same price for a blind tasting? Around that range she's liked evan williams SB, makers, WT101, and she didnt really enjoy 1792, ECSB, or 4R.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I guess the thing to start with is how much are you paying for buffalo trace?

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
$23.99-27.99

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gejimayu posted:

My wife claims her favorite bourbon is Buffalo Trace, but I wonder if maybe thats just because we only are able to get it every so often. Any recommendations for similar bourbon around the same price for a blind tasting? Around that range she's liked evan williams SB, makers, WT101, and she didnt really enjoy 1792, ECSB, or 4R.

Eagle Rare is rumored to be a select pick of Buffalo Trace, so grab that when you see it.

Edit: it’s usually around $40 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I don’t want this to come off as snobby either, but I don’t know that I’ve ever met someone who is ‘in to Canadian whisky’. It’s always either bourbon, scotch, or rye, and if a Canadian bottle gets suggested it’s always a ‘it’s really good for a Canadian whisky’.

There’s probably a lot of good Canadian whisky out there too, but it’s almost always at the bottom of the list prestige/hype wise.

That said, the crown Royal noble collection from two years ago, 13 year bourbon mash, was fantastic. The release for this year is a 16 year rye, which I’m excited to try. Not a lot of 15+ year old rye whisky out there to try, especially for $60ish!!!