Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like when a game just sits on a black screen for like six or eights seconds as if that's not a hidden loading screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also the forced slow walk or shimmy through cracks/tunnels

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Or bookending an actual loading screen with five seconds of black screen on each end. Wow, certainly fooled me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Or bookending an actual loading screen with five seconds of black screen on each end. Wow, certainly fooled me.

That smells like compliance with some management edict that no loading screen shall be longer than 30 seconds or something and they get around it with interstitial loading screens like that. Still sucks, but I’ve had bosses like that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thank you Clod of Bore (2018)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Turn on your monitor already.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF7R had a lot of this and I love it anyways!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Shadow Tactics is only 5 dollars which feels like some kind of crime to pay so little for such an insanely enjoyable game

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Horizon wasn't exactly snappy with its load times. I think game start to menu to actual play was somewhere around two minutes. Long fast travels close to a minute.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Death to squeezing through tunnels and cracks. Most annoying loading trick of the generation, mostly because not only is it boring to watch, but it’s in so many games!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

man nurse posted:

Death to squeezing through tunnels and cracks. Most annoying loading trick of the generation, mostly because not only is it boring to watch, but it’s in so many games!

Not to mention when it looks bad. The game zooms in on the character and it makes clipping issues super obvious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
BL3 is a game that incentivizes repeated map reloads, except for the fact that most take a minute to load (I timed it).

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s gonna own so hard when fast travel is actually fast

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

BL3 is a game that incentivizes repeated map reloads, except for the fact that most take a minute to load (I timed it).

you'd think they'd consider that when designing the game, but UX doesn't seem to be of much concern for a lot of devs (probably cause they're trying to put out the fires before release)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

Squeezing through cracks has been a loading trick since even before Unsharted 1 made it commonplace. It's less a 'generation' thing and more a hallmark of the entire High Def graphical era thus far.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo you poo poo on God of War all the time in this thread but I don't think you've ever said why. Please tell us

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

owl_pellet posted:

Pablo you poo poo on God of War all the time in this thread but I don't think you've ever said why. Please tell us

I just don’t think it’s that great of a game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To elaborate, I find the design and narrative really unfocused like in a lot of open world-ish games, the combat is harmed by the too-close camera making it difficult to deal with multiple enemies, there’s unnecessary MMO-ish color coded loot and crafting with a bunch of stats that don’t amount to much, the “never have a camera cut” philosophy makes the cutscene direction unremarkable and makes it really obvious when they’re trying to mask load times, Atreus is annoying, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

To elaborate, I find the design and narrative really unfocused like in a lot of open world-ish games, the combat is harmed by the too-close camera making it difficult to deal with multiple enemies, there’s unnecessary MMO-ish color coded loot and crafting with a bunch of stats that don’t amount to much, the “never have a camera cut” philosophy makes the cutscene direction unremarkable and makes it really obvious when they’re trying to mask load times, Atreus is annoying, etc.

same op

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I can't wait to see how mad everyone gets when they realise all their ps5 games still have dialogue dumps while shimmying through cracks.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The year is 2060. Loading has been instantaneous for decades. Any game that doesn't have crack-shimmying is derided for "just feeling cheap somehow" and "looking like a soap-opera".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I can't wait to see how mad everyone gets when they realise all their ps5 games still have dialogue dumps while shimmying through cracks.

ehh, i'm fine with it :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krazyface posted:

The year is 2060. Loading has been instantaneous for decades. Any game that doesn't have crack-shimmying is derided for "just feeling cheap somehow" and "looking like a soap-opera".
Indie game developers create the CrackDump genre in a bold move to recapture loading scenes from the past

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its not like devs are super happy about having to shimmy through cracks. Its more engrossing than a loading screen of equal time where a tooltip pops up that you've already seen before.

Also God of War has some of the best melee combat of any western video game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the close camera in GOW.

It’s not a perfect game or anything, there’s some stuff I’d change but overall it’s still a classic imo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’ve been playing a game I never thought I’d play, but I was looking for something story driven and action-y. It’s The Order 1886. It went on sale for $9.99 which finally seemed like an acceptable price. It’s really fun! The story and setting and acting is good and the weapons are cool. The checkerboard kicks the resolution up to good and my LG CX polishes the picture to better than it probably is. The gunplay itself is fully poo poo at times though. I’m basically playing it on easy because the aiming is so bad and weird at times. But whatever. It was the first debut game for the PS4 or something?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I love the close camera in GOW.

ick, I hate it so much. i really hope they ditch the single take gimmick for the sequel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never liked how tiny Kratos was in the old games. It didn’t seem weird to me because a lot of my favorite games have close camera. Resident evil, dead space...poo poo even Fromsoft games have a pretty close cam although it’s not as extreme as those other games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

That’s not saying much

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I never liked how tiny Kratos was in the old games. It didn’t seem weird to me because a lot of my favorite games have close camera. Resident evil, dead space...poo poo even Fromsoft games have a pretty close cam although it’s not as extreme as those other games.

Having a close camera in a survival horror game or a slow paced game like Dark Souls is a lot different than in an action game where you’re supposed to be an unstoppable badass. Pulling the camera out a bit would have helped with spatial awareness versus multiple enemies. They tried to help with the weird ring around Kratos that shows what direction enemies are coming from but it’s too small and hard to notice in the middle of combat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That’s not saying much

:laugh:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve been playing a game I never thought I’d play, but I was looking for something story driven and action-y. It’s The Order 1886. It went on sale for $9.99 which finally seemed like an acceptable price. It’s really fun! The story and setting and acting is good and the weapons are cool. The checkerboard kicks the resolution up to good and my LG CX polishes the picture to better than it probably is. The gunplay itself is fully poo poo at times though. I’m basically playing it on easy because the aiming is so bad and weird at times. But whatever. It was the first debut game for the PS4 or something?

It looked incredible but people hated it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its not like devs are super happy about having to shimmy through cracks. Its more engrossing than a loading screen of equal time where a tooltip pops up that you've already seen before.

Lol the running laps around the track to keep the single take conceit while enabling fast travel was so stupid

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol the running laps around the track to keep the single take conceit while enabling fast travel was so stupid

Yeah plus it fades to white when you go in and out of the gates! That’s a cut!!!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I forgot how bad the Prey loading times were. For whatever reason towards the end of the game the areas took so long to load and you had to do a ton of moving around the map right near the end

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

el oso posted:

I forgot how bad the Prey loading times were. For whatever reason towards the end of the game the areas took so long to load and you had to do a ton of moving around the map right near the end

and also the endings totally suck!

edit; I liked that game, but my engagement really waned at about the 3/4 mark it just became work to complete.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed Rebirth, but the story in Soma is just much better.

:same:

Rebirth I enjoyed and don't regret playing in any way but I doubt I'll go back to it. SOMA I will still replay every so often because so much of it still works even when I know what all the twists and surprises are. I just did it again and finished on Halloween.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ick, I hate it so much. i really hope they ditch the single take gimmick for the sequel.

I found the one-shot gimmick annoying not just because of the cutscene direction, but because it doesn't really serve any narrative purpose. The story is very episodic and it doesn't feel like everything happens in one day. I'm sure it was a headache for the programmers though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God of War is drat good but I do think it’s a little overrated. Probably the most overrated PS4 exclusive after Spider-Man. But I still really enjoyed it, just not “game of the year” enjoyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have no strong feelings on the single shot thing either way other than it looking cool sometimes during boss fights but you could do shots like that without the gimmick if you wanted. The biggest issues for me were the entire bullshit busywork that was the Niflheim area, but that was completely optional, and the ending that was too busy setting up sequel hooks to give the end of their journey any room to breathe.