Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
My current one-of-many projects wherein I learn how to do crochet provisional cast on, add beads to my work with a crochet hook, and pick up from a provisional cast on and start knitting again. Fun little thing. Made with yarn from a local farm, where the woman raises sheep, shears them, then dyes the wool once it comes back. Yay local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's really pretty. What accounts for the textured stitch, is that cabling? I'm on my phone so I can't see too great

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Beautiful colors!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

BonerGhost posted:

That's really pretty. What accounts for the textured stitch, is that cabling? I'm on my phone so I can't see too great

Cables, yep! Lots and lots and LOTS of little cables. But since I love them, it's perfect for me.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

These are the projects I've finished this summer.

A cropped cardigan for myself, slightly modified Pickles' Crop Cardigan pattern. I used one thread Drops Baby Alpaca Silk and one thread Drops Kid Silk. Love how this wears over dresses or tank tops.

I said I wasn't going to knit anyting for my daughter for the first day of school this year, but a week ago I found myself with a lot of leftover yarn and nothing to knit. So naturally, I had to make her something. Finished this at 2 am last night, my hands are so sore!
Pattern is White Rose from Drops Design, I made it straight instead of A-line, and i didn't knit the balloon sleeves. Quite happy with it! Made with Drops Baby Alpaca Silk.

Now I really don't know what to do. I've done something that I never usually do, and that is to start a new project before finishing my UFOs. I started a Tiril Snøkrystall Pullover back in November last year, I've knit both sleeves and started the body, but now I'm not feeling it at all. For the first time I want to just rip it all out and make something else.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Those are awesome! Well done, and the color is neat.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Finally picked back up and finished this cardigan I had started in March. Now I just gotta sew the buttons on before it gets cold outside.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEMqBxtHod5/

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

El Gar posted:

Finally picked back up and finished this cardigan I had started in March. Now I just gotta sew the buttons on before it gets cold outside.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEMqBxtHod5/

Wow, that's a lot of intricate work! Well done!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That cardigan is gorgeous.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello project starters! DIY secret santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Made a Vinterkongledress (winter cone onesie) on a commision from a friend. Also had yarn left over for a hat and mittens.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

That is incredibly adorable and so precise! Your work is fabulous!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
oh my gosh that baby is gonna be so cozy

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks guys! :)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 16, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

On phone so no pics but I'm ridiculously proud that, because of repeated lockdowns here (Ireland) severely limiting outdoor activity, I finally FINALLY learned how to knit a hat on straight needles. I made 5 in the first lockdown, some hilariously ugly, and am back in hat makin' mode for the current six week lockdown. They are so easy, so fast and so flexible, they really are a great little project - big enough to keep you at it for a few days, but small enough to not get boring - I've got three on the go at the moment, because I have no attention span :)

Edit: also, because of weird incoherent public policy stuff here, yarn is deemed non essential and thus hard to get, so I've been unmaking really crappy things I knitted in the past and turning the recycled yarn into better things. Ripping bad work is surprisingly satisfying, who would have thought???

edit: HATS

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I think I spend more time ripping out knits I don't like than I actually do knitting.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I went a bit overboard during lockdown - but I’ve got a hell of a stash going on right now. At my slow rate of knitting I think I’m set for at least a year, if not two - as long as I don’t spy something different I want to knit and buy specific yarn for it, which is pretty likely to happen.

I did an order from Love Knitting which ships to Australia from the UK, with COVID reducing flights and delaying international mail, and no tracking on the parcel, it took nearly 3 months. In the meantime I got fed up and ordered a bunch of yarn from an Australian place, more expensive but the shipping only took like 2 weeks to get delivered from 15km away. And finally there was a lady on a Gumtree unloading a lot of yarn for cheap and she somehow managed to convince me to buy the lot because she threw in the cheap plastic storage containers.

Speaking of spying something different I want to knit: I watched the movie Becky the other night and while it was a so-so movie with a nearly unidentifiable Kevin James, I’m planning on doing a version of the hat soon. I like it so much I’ll have all the nieces and nephews in them next winter.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I've been going to the same yarn shop for 20 years, and I recently went in to find that one of the employees was wearing one of those fake masks that's just a little strip of plastic in front of the mouth, and she was standing next to an older customer with their heads together. The owner was at the register and I said, "You don't require masks in here?" She said, "It's just a different kind of mask", so I turned around and walked out, never to return.

idk, it just felt like a personal betrayal, you know?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I've been going to the same yarn shop for 20 years, and I recently went in to find that one of the employees was wearing one of those fake masks that's just a little strip of plastic in front of the mouth, and she was standing next to an older customer with their heads together. The owner was at the register and I said, "You don't require masks in here?" She said, "It's just a different kind of mask", so I turned around and walked out, never to return.

idk, it just felt like a personal betrayal, you know?

COVID is really getting people to show their true colors. It does feel personal, doesn't it? When someone's refusal to do something simple could lead to you getting a disease (& possibly passing it to others), a disease which is leaving many with life-long consequences, assuming you survive. I'm sorry you lost your yarn shop! Hopefully there are good on-line options for you, and maybe you can find a slightly-less-local-but-more-reasonable yarn shop to visit soon.

I've given up my favorite BBQ place over mask issues. We only ever did take-out since COVID, but don't want to encourage that sort of behavior. :( :hf: :(

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There's actually another newish yarn shop that I haven't been to yet, so fingers crossed. One of my knitting friends vouched for it, which is promising.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DRINK ME posted:

I went a bit overboard during lockdown - but I’ve got a hell of a stash going on right now. At my slow rate of knitting I think I’m set for at least a year, if not two - as long as I don’t spy something different I want to knit and buy specific yarn for it, which is pretty likely to happen.

I did an order from Love Knitting which ships to Australia from the UK, with COVID reducing flights and delaying international mail, and no tracking on the parcel, it took nearly 3 months. In the meantime I got fed up and ordered a bunch of yarn from an Australian place, more expensive but the shipping only took like 2 weeks to get delivered from 15km away. And finally there was a lady on a Gumtree unloading a lot of yarn for cheap and she somehow managed to convince me to buy the lot because she threw in the cheap plastic storage containers.

Speaking of spying something different I want to knit: I watched the movie Becky the other night and while it was a so-so movie with a nearly unidentifiable Kevin James, I’m planning on doing a version of the hat soon. I like it so much I’ll have all the nieces and nephews in them next winter.

Wow that's a really cool hat

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hey guess who spun and knit a sweater (it was me)

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Wow, that's amazing! So much intricate cabling!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MarsDragon posted:

OOoooh very nice work!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You seriously spun the yarn AND made the sweater??? That is so goddamn amazing.

edit:

Midnight Sun posted:

I said I wasn't going to knit anyting for my daughter for the first day of school this year, but a week ago I found myself with a lot of leftover yarn and nothing to knit. So naturally, I had to make her something. Finished this at 2 am last night, my hands are so sore!
Pattern is White Rose from Drops Design, I made it straight instead of A-line, and i didn't knit the balloon sleeves. Quite happy with it! Made with Drops Baby Alpaca Silk.

Now I really don't know what to do. I've done something that I never usually do, and that is to start a new project before finishing my UFOs. I started a Tiril Snøkrystall Pullover back in November last year, I've knit both sleeves and started the body, but now I'm not feeling it at all. For the first time I want to just rip it all out and make something else.
That jumper is just lovely, and can I say your daughter has absolutely glorious hair, I am so envious :)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 28, 2020

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

MarsDragon posted:

That is beautiful; what kind of fiber? I love it!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Pookah posted:

You seriously spun the yarn AND made the sweater??? That is so goddamn amazing.

Yep! It's a 4-ply that I wanted to be worsted, but actually ended up as somewhere between fingering and DK depending on the skein. Oops. Came out well enough in the end.

Spinning in general makes you appreciate the Industrial Revolution, spinning for a big project really drives "THIS was the textile production bottleneck" home. The entire thing took me about six months, and I'd say it was about 4 months spinning to two months knitting. (I went super hard on it because I was excited and also because lockdown. What else was I gonna do with my time?)

HungryMedusa posted:

That is beautiful; what kind of fiber? I love it!

It was Targhee top from a local store, though the wool itself probably went around the world a couple times getting to me. It's a very nice wool, soft and springy, but it should be pretty durable.

I've got enough Southdown roving I could probably get a smaller and simpler sweater out of it, but I've also got a fleece I'm working on. I think they'll both depend on how much I can get out of them. Of course, I'm also spinning a laceweight, so...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's so interesting, I feel like spinning goes so much faster than knitting. I could never figure out why anyone spun, and then I realized how fast it went and I was like "oh, okay." I do use an espinner, but I don't think it's that fast?

The sweater is gorgeous!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Anne Whateley posted:

That's so interesting, I feel like spinning goes so much faster than knitting. I could never figure out why anyone spun, and then I realized how fast it went and I was like "oh, okay." I do use an espinner, but I don't think it's that fast?

The sweater is gorgeous!

What's the learning curve like with an espinner? I've got a wheel and a spindle, although the latter seems to be poorly made, and I'm struggling to get my head around spinning. I prefer the wheel but have trouble getting my speed right while also trying to tease out the roving.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

OMG that's awesome! I've contemplated knitting a cabled sweater for my husband, but all that work is really daunting. And spinning the yarn as well! Great work!

Pookah posted:

That jumper is just lovely, and can I say your daughter has absolutely glorious hair, I am so envious :)

Thanks! The red hair skipped a generation, both my husband and I have boring dark blonde hair, so this was a surprise. (My father has red hair, so I haven't been sleeping around, haha.) She has very deep red and super thick hair!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

left_unattended posted:

What's the learning curve like with an espinner? I've got a wheel and a spindle, although the latter seems to be poorly made, and I'm struggling to get my head around spinning. I prefer the wheel but have trouble getting my speed right while also trying to tease out the roving.
The trouble isn't the learning curve in general, the problem is that the good ones are super pricey while the more affordable ones (Electric Eel) are a finicky pain in the rear end -- usable if you're experienced, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. But if you can borrow a friend's or guild's good one, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Easier than a wheel or spindle since you're only doing one thing at once.

I also learned a lot of my initial difficulty was made much worse by poorly prepared fiber. It's easy for it to felt while dyeing, and that's very common if you're just buying from random indies on etsy. I would start with commercially prepared and commercially dyed/blended (or undyed!) fiber. There's still some gorgeous stuff, and it'll be a lot easier to draft.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Anne Whateley posted:

The trouble isn't the learning curve in general, the problem is that the good ones are super pricey while the more affordable ones (Electric Eel) are a finicky pain in the rear end -- usable if you're experienced, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. But if you can borrow a friend's or guild's good one, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Easier than a wheel or spindle since you're only doing one thing at once.

I also learned a lot of my initial difficulty was made much worse by poorly prepared fiber. It's easy for it to felt while dyeing, and that's very common if you're just buying from random indies on etsy. I would start with commercially prepared and commercially dyed/blended (or undyed!) fiber. There's still some gorgeous stuff, and it'll be a lot easier to draft.

Thanks, that's really good advice!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know if malabrigo is still doing roving, but avoid it if you find it unless you can verify that it will actually draft. I've never seen a hank from them that wasn't half felted.

Sirius Jayne
Nov 29, 2020

Jayne's getting Sirius

BonerGhost posted:

I don't know if malabrigo is still doing roving, but avoid it if you find it unless you can verify that it will actually draft. I've never seen a hank from them that wasn't half felted.

Oh I just love their colors, and I swear if Madeline tosh sold roving I’d become a hoarder. I started the lockdown working my butt off and that was probably a good thing, kept me focused on things but come fall I am always overcome with an overwhelming need to DO ALL THE THINGS WITH FIBER!! I started doing the math about how long it would take to prep materials to even begin making clothing or blankets never mind acquiring said materials and I can say, happy as hell for the Internet!! So this year I plan to FINALLY get my groove on with spinning. I’ve a cheap (crappy) too whorl spindle, a beautiful “standard” wheel that was gifted to me by a friend but it’s intimidating to me, and an eSpinner that I acquired when I was feeling like technology surely would make me a better spinner. So far the only spinning I’ve done is between projects I’ve started or am about to start or probably never will start but bought the yarn just in case!! I think probably after some of the political and holiday shenanigans dissipate, I’ll find a nice quiet evening and a bottle of wine and throw caution to the wind and just start spinning. After all, it’s only yarn and all the better to start another project with!!

Btw your sweater is gorgeous and I aspire to the same one day. I am absolutely impressed with the evenness of the drafting to create consistent yarn for the project. Well done!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

yes sorry, I've also heard bad things about Malabrigo Nube! Malabrigo I think of as a big indie dyer, although maybe they don't qualify anymore.

By commercially prepared top, I mean buying it from the actual mill or through middlemen who don't dye it or process it, just sell it as-is from the mill

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Midnight Sun posted:

Thanks! The red hair skipped a generation, both my husband and I have boring dark blonde hair, so this was a surprise. (My father has red hair, so I haven't been sleeping around, haha.) She has very deep red and super thick hair!

Same thing happened to my cousin - she also got her grandpa's red hair when no-one else in her family did :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Any recommended resources for learning to knit and starting the craft more generally? There are, of course, a billion hits on youtube and google for "how to knit" but it's all a bit overwhelming. A vouched-for content provider or two would be nice...or even better, a book or kit or something that gets me up and running, especially as someone who hasn't tried much in the way of crafts since junior high. I can find a million videos of how to cast on or whatever, but, like, "this is knitting, here's a good first couple set of needles, here's a rundown on yarn, here's 3-4 different stitches, here's babbys first knitting project" would be great.

In the beforetimes I might've just asked my mom to teach me how to crochet but she lives in a different city and lol at seeing her before winter is over. Now I'd love to be able to gift her a small something next time I see her. :3:

I'm sorry if someone kramers into this thread and asks every few months, but I checked a few pages back and didn't notice anything.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Boxman posted:

Any recommended resources for learning to knit and starting the craft more generally? There are, of course, a billion hits on youtube and google for "how to knit" but it's all a bit overwhelming. A vouched-for content provider or two would be nice...or even better, a book or kit or something that gets me up and running, especially as someone who hasn't tried much in the way of crafts since junior high. I can find a million videos of how to cast on or whatever, but, like, "this is knitting, here's a good first couple set of needles, here's a rundown on yarn, here's 3-4 different stitches, here's babbys first knitting project" would be great.

In the beforetimes I might've just asked my mom to teach me how to crochet but she lives in a different city and lol at seeing her before winter is over. Now I'd love to be able to gift her a small something next time I see her. :3:

I'm sorry if someone kramers into this thread and asks every few months, but I checked a few pages back and didn't notice anything.

I believe knittinghelp.com is often recommended as a good basic starting place! If you don't have a Ravelry account yet you should sign up, you can search hundreds of thousands of patterns and filter them by difficulty level - and the forums there are a great help too.

I think making something for your mom is a lovely idea! A nice warm scarf is a fantastic beginner project and a good gift. :) My mom taught me when I was young but it never really took for me until long after she had passed away - but I still remembered what she had taught me when I picked it up again.