Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

After researching what these rear coilovers that don’t fit my Del Sol really are, I found that they’re made for an Integra Type R, which is the only American Honda Civic/Del Sol/Integra of the 88-00 era that uses a completely different lower shock mount. The fronts are all interchangeable but the rear ITR shocks are different.

So if anyone is in need or want of a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers for an ITR, let me know. I’ve got a set...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put the S2000 to bed for now. Maybe if we get some nice days in a few weeks or whatever it will come back out before winter but only
Time and the weather will tell.

Edit:

Also finally installed the rear lower control arms and coilovers on the Del Sol. Took two hours on the passenger side and thirty minutes on the driver side. I didn’t learn any valuable lessons; the difference was that no important bolts broke on the driver side whereas every single one on the passenger side requires cutting or grinding to remove.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 28, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Today was not a good day. I'm working on overhauling the Vanos (VVT) unit on my E46 M3 (S54).

Step 1: Drop 7mm wrench into timing chain galley. By the grace of god I was able to fish it out using a telescoping magnet.

Step 2: Break very fragile radial bearing that lives in Vanos Housing due to a mishap while re-installing the new oil pump disk. This is a proprietary part that can't be bought. The only solution is to buy a new Vanos unit for roughly $1,800. Thankfully the owner of Beisan Systems is going to have one of his guys send me one of these radial bearings they've pulled from an S62 Vanos Unit.

I hate cars.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The El Camino wouldn't idle, holding it at 2000 rpm with the pedal it would run but pop & crackle a lot. For some reason, I was convinced there was a blockage in the carb since it drove there (last autumn...) but after disassembly and blowing compressed air through everything back and forth for four hours it still ran the same, and a quick check with the fuel line in a bottle tells me the mechanical pump is most likely junk. For some reason, it has a three-line pump (in, out, return) instead of two (in, out) like other Chevy SB pumps I've seen and the three-line pumps are 1) uncommon and 2) out of stock everywhere. So I ordered at a random store that had them "in stock", we'll see how much that lines up with reality.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The El Camino wouldn't idle, holding it at 2000 rpm with the pedal it would run but pop & crackle a lot. For some reason, I was convinced there was a blockage in the carb since it drove there (last autumn...) but after disassembly and blowing compressed air through everything back and forth for four hours it still ran the same, and a quick check with the fuel line in a bottle tells me the mechanical pump is most likely junk. For some reason, it has a three-line pump (in, out, return) instead of two (in, out) like other Chevy SB pumps I've seen and the three-line pumps are 1) uncommon and 2) out of stock everywhere. So I ordered at a random store that had them "in stock", we'll see how much that lines up with reality.

I know that a '70 Chevelle with the LS-6 454 used that pump; maybe you can look it up with that reference. For example, the Carter M6102 is $20.79 on rockauto.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
if I remember right, 2 line pumps are high output, 3 line pumps are regular pumps.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Dear GM, gently caress you.

Context:

Wife backed her car into my truck last week bending the rear bumper so I ordered a new one.

It turns out that the bumper is installed before the bed at the factory so you have to lift the bed up to get a replacement bumper in. I didn’t notice this getting the old one out as I have to cut it in half due to how it was bent.

So I could remove a bunch of bolts, lift the bed and put blocks to under it or...

Cut a slot in a piece of metal under the bed that is hidden behind the bumper and paint it so it doesn’t just dissolve. Bumper is in installed now but for 10 bolts and some electrical connectors it is a nightmare.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Technically finished this yesterday but posting today.

Put on new brake pads on my F-Type, it sorta mostly went smooth given it was my first time ever doing brake pads with the exception of the electronic parking brake maintenance mode not retracting the pistons quite far enough in the back.

This meant the new pads didn't fit over the rotor of course. Tried cycling the mode with the caliper off the rotor which just ended with the pads clamped together because when I put it back in maintenance mode the piston didn't retract. I ended up taking the EPB motor off and then creating a piston compressing contraption when turning the exposed spline drive hole didn't yield any results. Everything worked in the end.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a shift knob on the Si hatch. I bought the same one for the Del Sol as well but it’s my son’s Christmas present so 🤫

440g weighted Skunk2

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Dealer recently gave my girlfriend a $1200 estimate to replace a leaky front strut, license plate bulbs and a "battery service" in her old Sentra lol. We've been dating for a bit, but this was her first time bringing me an estimate sheet and asking what I thought. $200 on rockauto and two hours of couples bonding time today and she has two new coilovers, new plate bulbs and cleaned-up terminals (battery was fine except for corrosion). She had a great time rattling bolts off with the impact and keeping track where all the bolts/nuts/trim fasteners were supposed to go. I'm a cynical bastard but I felt a little soft when I put the ratty old blown-out coilover next to the shiny new one and she got excited :3:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yesterday, I switched out the carbon bonnet on my new old Impreza for a nice second hand stock bonnet. I had help from a work buddy and it was all going well until it turned out the carbon bonnet was attached with M6 bolts and the stock one needed M8. I could have put everything back and waited until I had the bolts but I had already called my friend out and paid him in pizza so I ended up cannibalizing a few bolts from the engine room. Then today, I switched out the cannibal bolts for some vaguely correct replacements from the hardware store and went to Subaru to order some proper spec bolts, a replacement washer nozzle because the clips on one broke when transplanting them, and a few fasteners I was missing for the intercooler duct.

It was all worth it though, the replacement bonnet is a really good color match for the body and it just looks so much better than the carbon fiber look.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

I know that a '70 Chevelle with the LS-6 454 used that pump; maybe you can look it up with that reference. For example, the Carter M6102 is $20.79 on rockauto.

EvilBeard posted:

if I remember right, 2 line pumps are high output, 3 line pumps are regular pumps.

The place I ordered from sent me an email, "out of stock, 4-5 weeks out" so I cancelled the order. Big block and small block pumps don't interchange sadly. I can find dozens of places with two-line pumps (and for example Holley doesn't even have three line pumps in their lineup at all), but three line pumps are just out of stock wherever I look. Starting to think if I can just plug the return line for now and run a two-line pump.

Also, I'm in the EU, so my choices with regards to shopping are a bit constricted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cut a new splitter for the Miata

New seat showed up after getting lost in customs for two weeks

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 2, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Copy/pasta from my personal thread:

Darchangel posted:

Saturday turned out to be 70 degrees F (a change from the 50s and lower the week previous,) and it's going to be in the 70s all week, so I decided to scuff the epoxy primer and spray some high-build primer on the areas of the engine compartment that will be visible, to later at least do a pass at sanding and making those areas smooth.

Still getting the hang of the Harbor Freight HF gun that I modified to a larger tip (and was really too big for this particular primer, per the paint's instructions,) so got a few runs, but overall it sprayed nicely.
Hopefully I'll get some time to sand the primer this week or next weekend, and lay on some color. My company is giving us Election Day off, so may get out there, then.

The masking is because I want the area inside the cowl to stay black.
The insides of the wheel arches will also stay black.

edit: and yes, the high-build primer was just as settled as the epoxy primer was. This time I broke it up a bit with a stir stick, then poured about half of the liquid off into another can before attempting to use the drill stirring attachment on it, AND used my B&D drill that is more of driver than a drill, so a lot slower and less prone to sling paint everywhere. It was much more successful. The mess was considerably less.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My M3 needed the biannual brake flush and I don't have the stuff to do that so I took it to a local shop. It also needs an oil change so gently caress it, they can do that too. :effort:

It probably doesn't hurt to have actual service records for it either.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

My M3 needed the biannual brake flush and I don't have the stuff to do that so I took it to a local shop. It also needs an oil change so gently caress it, they can do that too. :effort:

It probably doesn't hurt to have actual service records for it either.

I bought the motiv pressure bleeder a few years back to do the clutch line when taking out the drat CDV. I've now used it on three four cars, but bleeding anything even with it is so much easier with two people.

No shame on paying someone to do work you're not interested in though. I paid AWE to swap the manifold on my second E90 out of sheer disinterest in doing it alone without my dad, his garage, or his tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

I paid AWE

Eastern PA goon in my area spotted.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Motronic posted:

They're 5 minutes from my house :tinfoil:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl128 posted:

They're 5 minutes from my house :tinfoil:

I'm 20 minutes north on 611 :tinfoil:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

I bought the motiv pressure bleeder a few years back to do the clutch line when taking out the drat CDV. I've now used it on three four cars, but bleeding anything even with it is so much easier with two people.

No shame on paying someone to do work you're not interested in though. I paid AWE to swap the manifold on my second E90 out of sheer disinterest in doing it alone without my dad, his garage, or his tools.

I gravity bled the brakes on my S2000 but haven't done the clutch because I haven't had a second person around to help me do it. I could probably do it by myself but meh.

I had the shop measure the thickness of my rotors since I'm going to need new pads in the not too distant future. I'm pretty much at the point where I'll have to replace the fronts when I do the pads. :homebrew: . On the plus side, their PDR guy happened to be around the shop and saw the dents the piece of plastic that blew into the car and gave me a quote to get them all taken care of.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

I'm a bit west of RTT Tuning, had them do my alignment. They had to use the impact for quite a bit on one bolt (probably from living in Vermont with that car before), so apparently BMW of Devon didn't adjust poo poo previously.

They're super nice, they asked if I really wanted to keep the alignment it had, and I said it was a 328 and I drove mostly highway, make it make sense. :P No wonder the one set corded on the inside...

I bought the 335 from Thompson BMW, so I'm basically chasing you up and down Bucks County.

You lot don't do much as a group. The SE PA TFR group at least pretends to go to a range and finds a restaurant worth stopping at in each direction!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Alarbus posted:

You lot don't do much as a group. The SE PA TFR group at least pretends to go to a range and finds a restaurant worth stopping at in each direction!

I'm going to C&C in Doylestown Saturday, y'all should come!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

New seat showed up after getting lost in customs for two weeks

Really like those seats, I've got an old one and it's one of the best fitting seats I've found for smaller drivers. How thick did you go for the splitter?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

I'm 20 minutes north on 611 :tinfoil:

20 minutes west (Norristown/Sumney).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are more of us that I though....... Eww. I'm gonna move.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Alarbus posted:

SEPA AI road trip to grumpys?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I gravity bled the brakes on my S2000 but haven't done the clutch because I haven't had a second person around to help me do it. I could probably do it by myself but meh.
I had a speed bleeder in my S2000 clutch slave so my bleed was basically open the bleeder and press the slave cylinder in with my thumb, stupid fast bleed without loving with the pedal or needing two people. Worth the $8 or whatever one costs, imo.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Really like those seats, I've got an old one and it's one of the best fitting seats I've found for smaller drivers. How thick did you go for the splitter?

I had a Circuit I in the S2000, probably should have gone that way again rather than the Circuit II since I have quite a bit of room. Might resell it and order a Circuit I, but yeah, I love them too :)

I went with half inch home depot birch. Since I didn't have the whole old splitter to work with (rip) I mirrored it across the centerline with a cardboard template, but I haven't tried bolting it on yet... hopefully it isn't too far off to use as a V1 and I can make something a bit nicer when I have more time. PO decided it was a good idea to support the outside of the splitter with aluminum strap to the headlight bucket / fender support, which is what necessitated cutting that sheet metal out and replacing it... so I won't be replicating that.

Replacement wing element showed up yesterday, looks like I have a bit more massaging to do to the trunk drip rails to get it all to fit again. gently caress.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 3, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I had a speed bleeder in my S2000 clutch slave so my bleed was basically open the bleeder and press the slave cylinder in with my thumb, stupid fast bleed without loving with the pedal or needing two people. Worth the $8 or whatever one costs, imo.

I'll have to look into that.

Washed, clay barred, and threw some spray hybrid wax on the M3 today. There were still some water spots that I missed but this was the first time I've hand washed it this year. It's shiny now.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Washed, clay barred, and threw some spray hybrid wax on the M3 today. There were still some water spots that I missed but this was the first time I've hand washed it this year. It's shiny now.

dang this looks good

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

fknlo posted:

Damnit I regret pouring so much money into my E92, this looks sooooooo gooood. (and it has 4 doors)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Looks great! Mine is so dirty cause it's parked outdoors for now. Gotta get it a real nice detail once I have a garage for it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

Looks great! Mine is so dirty cause it's parked outdoors for now. Gotta get it a real nice detail once I have a garage for it.

I had mine ceramic coated last year and it's super worth it. I'd planned on doing the spray on ceramic hybrid as a topper earlier this year but that thing where I'm lazy and my setup for hand washing is not super optimal most of the year stopped that. The sun has moved far enough south that I was able to get it into the shade to do the work that's best done in the shade. I don't think it would have gone well in the sun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Miata splitter mounted up, ignore the bumper fitment as I didn't have it slotted into the headlight shell properly, it fits fine.

Need to paint the splitter, cut a new air dam, and clean the front side of the bumper up. That'll basically have the front 2/3rd of the car complete.

Todo:
Do some more adjusting of the left quarter so the wing mount fits better
Cut an access hole in the right quarter panel so I can 'adjust' it before I replace it entirely
Find some SADFab MR2 or MiataHubs for the rear
String alignment to make sure nothing ended up bent
Debead two tires to remove the rocks jammed down in the bead area

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the Type R rear struts put on the Del Sol along with the random strut tower bar I got for free

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Those LCAs are hot poo poo too :popeye:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Decided to push through it today.

Airdam done, makes the wavy splitter fairly obvious.

Now I need to debead two tires since there are rocks all the way down in the bead seat that I haven't managed to be able to remove, do a toe plate check, another solid look over the car, and take it around the block.

I've been trying to hold out for SADFab to do a run of 3rd gen MR2 rear hubs since they are $290 a set and his day job is literally a five minute walk from my house. Miatahubs billet rear hubs are $475 a set shipped, might have to go that route since I want something before I take it out again.

My job isn't allowing PTO rollover this year so I took the entirety of December off, gonna order a rear quarter and do it during that time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Had winter tires put on the Prius today.

10 minutes later:

That was fun to change on the side of I-25. It went down fairly quick too. The guy from Costco that showed up was wondering why I was pulling the rear wheel when it was the front that was flat. It was something with the valve stem. Tire is ruined, they said they have another locally that will be here tonight or tomorrow. I hate driving on a donut but I'm also trying to not drive the M3 as the charge cooler is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

After 9 loving months, the Forester is now good to drive in NJ.

After all that teeth pulling, it turned out all that needed to be done was for the shop to pull the exhaust and take pictures of the cat, inside and outside, as proof for the state auditor. No need to source or fabricate a new exhaust or install extra cats.

And now I just need to deal with the front driver side window regulator. Oh and apparently the right side of the front sub-frame is pretty rusted out. Not a big enough deal that I couldn't drive the car home but they did stress I need to get it looked at. It's wet outside right now and I'm assuming it's being obstructed by the exhaust which is why the last shop overlooked it but I'll take a closer look this weekend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Partial cross-post from my thread (non-car stuff cut):

Darchangel posted:

I did actually work on the RX-7. Last weekend I sanded down the orange peel in the high-build primer.
Orange peel:

Light scuff with 320 grit makes it stand out a bit more:

So, yeah. Bit of orange peel.

No orange peel:

Scuff with 3M pad:

Here's all in one in one shot:

Then you do that for the whole thing. Here's half-way:

And all done (note the darkness):

Did rub through the grey into the black in a few spots, mostly edges, so I was already thinking about another light coat of grey primer.
Fast forward to Wednesday. I was off for Veteran's Day (thanks to all you who have served, BTW. I almost did, and probably should have) so I spent some more quality time with the '7. I decided to paint the cowl area as well as the engine bay, since it's right there, and I would have to mask and blend
if I did it later, as well as doing the forward part of the door jambs. This also cemented the requirement for another spray of high-build grey primer for the cowl area.
To start, I trimmed some windshield pookey that had squeezed out at the bottom:

Cleaned out that groove, and then got to work sanding the cowl smooth.
Here's a good illustration of how wrong the respray color was:

The brighter, more orange color is the factory Sunrise Red.

All sanded:

I slept in, so basically ran out of time to paint once I added an hour or better with sanding. This was about 3:30-4:00, and it starts getting dark at around 5 here now. You're supposed to wait and hour after painting to sand or topcoat the primer, which would put me right at dark-thirty, so I decided to go ahead and mask it up to prep for painting it Saturday.
At this point, I realized I had run out of masking film, so would have had to stop and run to the store anyway:

So I did run to the store, grab fresh cans of Acetone and Lacquer thinner, since both of my gallons only had a few ounces left in them, a new roll of 1" blue tape, and the masking film, and then masked it up:

The little 18" x 10' strip of the film I still had left from the old row came in handy for that middle stripe where the new film didn't quite reach. The rear edges are loose so I can slap the doors back on for storage. I'll pull the doors back off on Saturday, seal up that edge, and go to town. I *really* hope the red paint is salvageable. I can buy more, but that custom-mixed paint is the expensive part.

edit: when painters tell you that 90% of a paint job is prep work, they absolutely are not making GBS threads you. It will take me all of 20 minutes to paint that engine bay 2 coats if I go slowly, including 10 minutes between coats, but all the sanding and cleaning was *hours* if not days.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: AI: Secret Santa Registration Closes Soon! :siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Please come sign up. We currently have 30 signups out of the 50 I am aiming.

Please see below for a VERY generous offer from McTinkerson

McTinkerson posted:

Any Canadians that have yet to sign up will get a 4 pack of locally brewed tall boys delivered to their door. [No IPA's because gently caress that.] Any American that signs up who hasn't yet and has at one point owned something powered by Doritos will get a 1.5L bottle of La Fin Du Monde.

Edit: Subject to availability of the special 1.5L bottles. They are usually available for xmas.

I'm still offering participation prizes for Kiwis & Aussies!

Don't miss out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227