Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I appreciate the surety of purpose of someone who failed on wendigos that hard and then over a decade later figured that film was just the wrong medium and went back for a second stab. The man likes his wendigos.

Actually, looking at his wiki page,

"As an actor, screenwriter, director and film editor, he has worked, in addition to feature films, on such television projects as the NBC horror anthology Fear Itself (2008), directing the episode "Skin and Bones". "

drat dude turn the page in your monster manual

There was also his film The Last Winter from 2006, which is a horror movie set at an exploratory drilling site in Alaska where the crew start being picked off by...ghost wendigos, more or less. You cannot underestimate how much Larry Fessenden loving loves wendigos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm very very into this odd derail. Wendigos!!!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZDar Fan posted:

Has Little Hope chat mentioned the Asian pilgrim? Did anyone else find that insignificant detail rather odd?

Lol yeah, now that you mention it I did do a double take when that happened.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A motivational story about how you shouldn’t give up on your dreams.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Until Dawn was great the first playthrough; after that you realize how on-rails everything is, how you get funneled into the main story without any chance for deviation, how the characters suddenly become basically mute when it's possible for them to die. And this is a game that encourages you to replay it and to pull at the strings and see it unravel. I would love a horror "decision tree" game that had, like, Detroit: Become Human's level of path branches and consequence. When I played that game I had Kara obey the orders of her owner and got her killed within the first 30 minutes. I reloaded the game once it became obvious that I had just locked myself out of 1/3 of the story, sure, but I admire the balls to allow a player to do that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Until Dawn is also a great "multiplayer" experience with everyone shouting out the best decisions to take.

YES EMILY THIS IS THE TIME I WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT ME SEEING YOU WITH YOUR EX BOYFRIEND

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It does have that aspect of the teen slasher experience down very well. Yelling 'Nooo, you idiot, don't go there! The zombies will eat you!' at the screen is absolutely a big part of the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Like several others, I recently got an Oculus Quest 2, so I wanted to ask what the best VR horror games are.

I will pick up Narcosis since it's cheap. Don't wanna deal with Phasmophobia before it's out of EA.

Someone said there was a VR mod for Alien Isolation? Has anyone tried that?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Like several others, I recently got an Oculus Quest 2, so I wanted to ask what the best VR horror games are.

I will pick up Narcosis since it's cheap. Don't wanna deal with Phasmophobia before it's out of EA.

For what it's worth, I have a feeling that Phasmophobia is going to be one of those games that's going to be in EA forever.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Transference is a really neat experience that doesn't get enough love. It's stupid expensive at $25 for maybe two hours of gameplay, but I'd check it out if it goes on sale.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

If you have a USB-C and a VR ready graphics card, Organ Quarter on Steam was one of the premiere original horror games that wasn't just like a haunted house walking experience.

As for Oculus specific games The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is like Ubisoft's Zombi roguelite mixed with Alyx and Lies Beneath is a survival horror as if drawn by Mike Mignola.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bonaventure posted:

Until Dawn was great the first playthrough; after that you realize how on-rails everything is, how you get funneled into the main story without any chance for deviation, how the characters suddenly become basically mute when it's possible for them to die. And this is a game that encourages you to replay it and to pull at the strings and see it unravel. I would love a horror "decision tree" game that had, like, Detroit: Become Human's level of path branches and consequence. When I played that game I had Kara obey the orders of her owner and got her killed within the first 30 minutes. I reloaded the game once it became obvious that I had just locked myself out of 1/3 of the story, sure, but I admire the balls to allow a player to do that.

Man, despite some poo poo writing I've never seen a game as free form as Detroit. Ironically getting the "good " ending is by far the most boring. I played Connor as basically Terminator Cop and Markus as Terminator Rebel and it's a lot more fun at the end facing them off against each other.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I started playing the Dread X Collection 3 games and Submission is... I really want to gush about how cool it is, but there's like multiple hard twists and even talking about the mechanics would risk spoiling it? Each of the Collections has had a couple of standouts and if Submission doesn't turn out to be a standout for DXC3 I'll be shocked.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hakkesshu posted:

Resident Evil 7

edit: apparently it is still PS4-exclusive, nevermind

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 2, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I thought RE7 VR was PS4 exclusive?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Resident Evil 7

Yeah, tho you need a program like vorpx or something like that to make it 3D/VR. The pc version has no native vr support.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Pope Guilty posted:

I started playing the Dread X Collection 3 games and Submission is... I really want to gush about how cool it is, but there's like multiple hard twists and even talking about the mechanics would risk spoiling it? Each of the Collections has had a couple of standouts and if Submission doesn't turn out to be a standout for DXC3 I'll be shocked.

Dread X Collection 3 is the most consistently good out of the trilogy, but yeah Submission is one of the best of the bunch. Honestly I didn't think there was a bad game in the bunch, and while Eden was the weakest for me it was still interesting if not super compelling to play.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Has anyone played Visage? Any opinions?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Larry Fessenden, for the record, is also kinda more known as an actor and general Horror Personality than as a director

Like, he's in the same tier as Mick Garris, where every horror fan inexplicably knows who he is, but they're probably not gonna be able to tell you exactly from where and when they look him up they're just gonna be like "jesus, that's all!?" because he's mostly famous for being friends with better creators

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

oldpainless posted:

I think it's good. I've only completed one of the I think four chapters, though. Unless there's some subversion of the expectations set in the opening cutscene I don't think this is one where the story is gonna blow anyone away, but it does the spooky house thing really well.

Also, in a genre with a whole bunch of games with lovely visuals these days, it manages to look really good. I recommend it, but I totally understand anyone who plays it and bounces off.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Only on the first chapter so far but it has some great spooky moments. It can be a bit slow paced and the puzzles are typical horror game puzzles, take that for what it's worth.
Also, it might just be me but oi vey the controls took me a bit to come around too; specifically the inventory management.

edit: A lot of people are saying "PT Clone" and I can see why, the vibe is definitely there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

The families that died in the house will haunt you and leave you restless. They’ll follow your every move, watch you from every corner, play tricks with your mind, and try to attack you. Why do they haunt you? What have you done? This you have to find out on your own.
Here's my guess: you are a very bad person who killed someone and the spookiness is because you are a guilty bad man. Yes/no?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Visage has good graphics and atmosphere but it's pretty goofy besides that and I would wait for a sale on it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Played three more Dread X Collection 3 games, thoughts:

Reactor is really more of a movie you're kind of inside? There's not really a game to it- all you're doing is just sort of walking to the place it tells you to and clicking on the thing. And that's fine, since the story and presentation are really on point. The title screen says it's a "feature", like a short film, and that's pretty descriptive.

Chip's Tips is really fun! I'm a bit old for Blue's Clues but saw some of it thanks to having little cousins, so I get what he's doing, and the whole thing's right in line with the "Spoopy" theme of the collection- cute and spooky at once. It's a pretty dead-on emulation of early CD-ROM FMV edutainment garbage, though the "puzzles" all make even a little bit of sense- so in that respect I guess it's kind of inaccurate. :v:

The one so far that I've strongly disliked is Nice Screams at the Funfair, mostly because the mechanics don't work. You're supposed to be clicking on tubs of icecream to pick up scoops and put them on a cone (and then one on the first scoop), but most of the time the scoop just bounces off the cone or the first scoop for no readily apparent reason. It'd be fine if it happened occasionally but twenty times in a row, just bouncing off the thing you're supposed to attach it to, is just frustrating and unfun. Combine that with a lot of the space you're supposed to click on to make things happen being unresponsive to clicks and it really feels like this one wasn't done.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Played three more Dread X Collection 3 games, thoughts:

The one so far that I've strongly disliked is Nice Screams at the Funfair, mostly because the mechanics don't work. You're supposed to be clicking on tubs of icecream to pick up scoops and put them on a cone (and then one on the first scoop), but most of the time the scoop just bounces off the cone or the first scoop for no readily apparent reason. It'd be fine if it happened occasionally but twenty times in a row, just bouncing off the thing you're supposed to attach it to, is just frustrating and unfun. Combine that with a lot of the space you're supposed to click on to make things happen being unresponsive to clicks and it really feels like this one wasn't done.

It took me awhile to figure out what was going on with this one, but I determined that you're physically launching the ice cream from the scoop, and it only sticks to the cone if it hits the edge of it. It wasn't too hard to get through after that (it's blessedly short if you're having trouble) but yeah, the controls are super rough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there any reason to play the dread x collections in order? Like if I wanted to try out 3 without playing the two collections will I miss anything?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Nah. The wraparound stories connect but there's barely any story to 1 and 3 just gives a wider context to what happens in 2. I didn't even finish 2 and I thoroughly enjoyed the wraparound in 3.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I finished visage yesterday, I'd wait for a sale if you're on the fence. It looks amazing and has some good scares, but the first 2 chapters (Lucy, Dolores) are a lot better than the last 2 and the "good" ending was really unsatisfying. It's cool it finally came out though, just wish the overall experience was a little better and the story fleshed out more.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

MarkVega posted:

Ey, check out this compilation of PS1 styled collection of short games. 20 in all, each game is made by a developer which follows up on the previous game in line.

https://papercookies.itch.io/chain

Quality will ofcourse vary, but I had a blast. I especially liked the one with the smartphone found footage. (PS1 trappings are taken with liberties.)

Does the quality increase after the first 4 or 5 of them because yikes those were pretty god awful.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

lurker2006 posted:

Does the quality increase after the first 4 or 5 of them because yikes those were pretty god awful.

They said it was PS1 styled :v:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Transference is a really neat experience that doesn't get enough love. It's stupid expensive at $25 for maybe two hours of gameplay, but I'd check it out if it goes on sale.

If you mean Transient, its a pile of pretentious garbage that has more obnoxious text dumps than the average bad webcomic.
The devs looked at Observer and said, "That but also all the words ever!"

Im super bummed out about those Little Hope spoilers, I was hoping they'd stick the landing but guess not.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Nah, Transference is a game about guy who uploaded himself and his family into a digital world. It's pretty interesting as a narrative-focused game. Dark. Pretty decent in VR, too.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

They said it was PS1 styled :v:
I know but those were well below the demo disk standards.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Morpheus posted:

Nah, Transference is a game about guy who uploaded himself and his family into a digital world. It's pretty interesting as a narrative-focused game. Dark. Pretty decent in VR, too.

Ohhhhh yeah the Elijah Wood one? I think I own that, it did look pretty interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DreadUnknown posted:

Ohhhhh yeah the Elijah Wood one? I think I own that, it did look pretty interesting.

It's a neat experience. Not too deep, of course, but I'd say worth a playthrough.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I played through Inmost a little while ago. It's not quite horror, more like an atmospheric platformer with some horror-filled segments, but I quite liked it. The gameplay is solid, with a simple set of mechanics, and it's short enough to not outstay its welcome (I've got about 4 hours on it, did some cursory searching of collectibles but nothing overlong). And I really like its art.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Has anyone here played the Charnel House Trilogy series of games that was recently part of the Humble Monthly bundle? The Steam ratings seem pretty good, but if I'm going to invest my time into an entire trilogy, I'd rather hear some second opinions first.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cardiovorax posted:

Has anyone here played the Charnel House Trilogy series of games that was recently part of the Humble Monthly bundle? The Steam ratings seem pretty good, but if I'm going to invest my time into an entire trilogy, I'd rather hear some second opinions first.

I played through that a while back and it's...unremarkable? Like, it's an okay adventure game but very much in the vein of not paying off its premise with anything great. I forgot I'd played it until I vaguely remembered the name. There should also be a disclaimer that it's actually just three discrete segments of a relatively short game, rather than some kind of distinct trilogy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, thanks. Well, if I try it, then it at least won't be a major time investment.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

They're worth getting if you are a traditional adventure game fan. I thoroughly enjoyed them but that may have been because I love point and click adventure games, even the dead easy ones like this. Definitely worth six bucks to me, and Richard and Alice added in for a buck is okay too.

Oh also if it is a turn off I remember the trilogy ending with stuff unresolved because it was supposed to have another game that never materialized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks! I did get a lot of enjoyment out of the Blackwell Series of games recently which also wasn't terribly difficult, so a nice and light horror-ish point&click sounds just fine to me. I already got the game for like a dollar through Humble Choice, so it was mostly a question of "is this one even actually worth installing" since that's not always a given with bundles like this.