Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/sineadmercier/status/1319593632475787264?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

[twitter link]

Thanks for that. It seems the problem is whose the information actually is. It looks like it'll need clarification from the courts before a government takes a liberal view on it.

Edit: And by "a liberal view" on GDPR openness/restrictions is because if the official stance is to widen the access in this case, it must be the same policy in all cases, and the implications for that in all official state scenarios, let alone other areas, is huge.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 23, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

There is a specific, singular reason for these records to be sealed. To protect the church and related individuals from any and all repercussions. Its got absolutely gently caress all to do with any data protection legislation. It's an overt cover up. It's not that complicated.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

There is a specific, singular reason for these records to be sealed. To protect the church and related individuals from any and all repercussions. Its got absolutely gently caress all to do with any data protection legislation. It's an overt cover up. It's not that complicated.

I think it's broader than that. I think they're realising/know if they open this up, and set standards of "openness" it would have far reaching effects for any other case of wrongdoing, or even perceived wrongdoing. If they open this up it opens the "protections" they currently have, and they couldn't hide behind them elsewhere.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

But people just don't give a single gently caress, as long as Man in Flat-cap Fix Road

Speaking of this lot, Mattie McGrath had a wee tantrum:

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1319571214126501889?s=19

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The problem seems to be that they government are claiming they want to protect the identity of the victims who gave witness testimony, and the only way to do that is to seal away the records entirely, but also claiming that there is a redacted version available which protects the victims' identities, but not really telling anyone where that is or how they would search it for themselves.

And then Simon McGarr's thread on how they have utterly ignored how GDPR works and are pretending that a pre-existing Irish law supersedes it somehow.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

The Examiner is reporting now that the Data Protection Commissioner advised the government that the legislation was unlawful.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheDoublePivot posted:

The Examiner is reporting now that the Data Protection Commissioner advised the government that the legislation was unlawful.

:ughh:

this loving government/country/everything

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Fair play to the greens expertly manoeuvring themselves into this position.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheDoublePivot posted:

Fair play to the greens expertly manoeuvring themselves into this position.

Nice user/post combo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The article

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070054.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
There's a fundamental problem with this, something that's at stake in all matters, if I give an opinion on you, is that your information or my information?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
These aren't opinions. They're allegations of fact. That's a whole different kettle of fish and given that most of the allegations are "a crime happen" they're not really the kind of thing you can hide under data protection laws.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1321759570692345857?s=20

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1321763069727485952?s=20

Ah yes, the Harry Potter TD. It's uncanny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't know Harry Potter was a Conehead.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Knowing Rowling, she probably wanted to write him as a Skinhead...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yer an egg, Harry

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Somehow that man has only ever seen two people wearing glasses

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I know this is like only 10 days on, but does anyone remember how the media/some politicians were saying that going into a second lockdown would be a really bad look for Ireland? About how we would be the first country in Europe to do so and it could effect our ability to borrow money?

Now seeing how the rest of Europe is doing it.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Not only that I've seen some poo poo saying we're great for doing it first now.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Looking forward to the government pretending they were 100% behind the lockdown in a months time when we see the actual results.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Our government are entirely subservient to capital. They are cringing lickspittles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cicadalek posted:

Looking forward to the government pretending they were 100% behind the lockdown in a months time when we see the actual results.
The funny thing is, we're already seeing results because people realised the government was poo poo and started voluntarily locking themselves down weeks ago.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arquinsiel posted:

The funny thing is, we're already seeing results because people realised the government was poo poo and started voluntarily locking themselves down weeks ago.

Yep, and because the approximately 10% of the population who are all No to Masks/My Freedom/Open Everything, are really easy to spot in the wild, the rest of us can just stay the hell away from them*. I decided months ago that if I encounter someone who's being careless right now, they are probably careless all the time and are basically Typhoid Mary.

I stay 20 or more feet away from the Typhoid Marys.

*Apart from retail workers who are goddamn saints and should get a massive tax free bonus for doing what they do.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can we just allow Retailers and other people who have to deal with them use bear mace if provoked. The if is flexible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've honestly left a few shops because there were people in with no masks or it was packed out, nothing I've needed for the past year has been too important to deal with it (or the places doing things I really need have been really good about it), which I'm pretty thankful for. Or maybe I'm just not as pig headed as the people around me??

:fireman:

We got to have the wedding btw, the venue were really good to us and spaced everything out, there was like 3m between each table, and the tables were massive so we all had a heap of room to sit and eat. We threw the rest of the family in a google meeting and they all watched the ceremony on their tellys

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

We got to have the wedding btw, the venue were really good to us and spaced everything out, there was like 3m between each table, and the tables were massive so we all had a heap of room to sit and eat. We threw the rest of the family in a google meeting and they all watched the ceremony on their tellys

Congrats!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I've honestly left a few shops because there were people in with no masks or it was packed out, nothing I've needed for the past year has been too important to deal with it (or the places doing things I really need have been really good about it), which I'm pretty thankful for. Or maybe I'm just not as pig headed as the people around me??

Same with the shops, especially places that had maximum capacity signs only for like 20 people to be running around inside.

Congrats on making it through.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PowerBeard posted:

Same with the shops, especially places that had maximum capacity signs only for like 20 people to be running around inside.

Congrats on making it through.

I walk an extra 2 km to a different supermarket because the staff and customers in the one closest to me (a Tesco) completely ignore the little green/red automatic capacity controls at the front of the store. Last time I was in there it was so crowded the checkout line stretched down the aisle to the back of the store and it was impossible not to get jostled by all the maskless schoolkids

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shoehead posted:

Congratulations!

Most supermarkets around here are pretty good about maintaining safe numbers/having sanitizer to hand. The only exception is Lidl - no door management, and the spray to clean your basket handle is a bloody anti-bacterial one, so entirely useless.

VVV Same here. I try to get my supermarket shopping done by midday so's to get done before any of the schools get out, since there's at least a possibility the virus can hang in the air for a while. VVV

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 3, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just before the second lockdown I would reschedule my breaks to make sure I didn't run into the swarm of secondary school teens that would flood out for their lunch. Even grabbing something and heading back to the office was a chore.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

Grats on managing to get it done this year.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Congrats on the wedding! We're planning ours and it's a bit of a hassle not being able to look at venues.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Sinn Fein looking for No Confidence vote for Leo. How badly is this going to go when the 3 parties bounce this back hard?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don' think it will go poorly at all. SF need to make their intent clear. People not playing politics and worrying about doing anything at all is how you get america.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Nah, thats sensible. I'm the same, I've seen some really dumb loving people get off the bus with their mask, walk the two meters into the shop I was in (that says to wear masks at all times on the door), remove their mask and breathe out in relief as if it was uncomfortable, and just obliviously shop away. I have left shops after seeing poo poo like this. Also why I don't buy anything open to the air now in shops, like bread rolls. No way am I trusting that some shithead hasn't coughed over that with the covid.

Shops should be more strict telling people without a mask to gently caress off.

Shoehead posted:

Nice one, cousin got married in Belfast a few weeks back, only 20 at it, massive ballroom and bar all to themselves, no live band but had some speakers and spotify or something, and they loved it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah it was great. We got to skip a heap of bollocks and appeasement shite too, none of this plus one stuff, none of her da's random alco golf club mates. And then we spent all week on the couch watchin blu rays and eatin sweets.

Anyway on topic but I hear the Gards are closing in as we speak on yer one with the skateboard who threw that smoothie seemingly of her own accord

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They won't get far looking for left wing activists.

Word is she was a member of YFG doing it as a false flag to bring sympathy to Leo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah it always seemed faked to me. And it re emerging this week has been very convenient for Leo.