Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
That's normal. Its a pretty hard game.

One thing to know is that each of the unit models is showing the actual armor and weapons that unit is equipped with. Knives and daggers have a skill called "puncture" that lets you attack hit points directly, bypassing armor completely. The chance that you get a piece of equipment after a fight is based on how damaged that equipment is. So, a very common strategy is to surround an enemy with a good piece of armor and puncture them to death without damaging their gear. It can be tough in the early game since puncture is fatigue intensive and hard to hit with so sometimes using nets can help, since they lower enemy defense. Its good to equip every bro with a knife/dagger and, if you can, isolate an enemy without damaging them so that you can knife them to death once the fight is wrapping up. Also, if their morale breaks, they will try to run which triggers attacks of opportunity that can damage their gear unless you have them completely surrounded, at which point you can knife them at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

dkj posted:

Just started playing and I’m just hiring the cheapest guys and giving them spears and shields and cheap armor. Is this dumb?
Not exactly. Having some bad recruits die in the process of getting you money&gear and is pretty normal early on but don't lean into it too hard because it will wreck the morale of the bros that you want to keep alive. Imo you want to quickly transition into trying to level a few core bros with good potential in body and combat stats to carry you through the early game. These guys will eventually get ditched during the midgame but you want to quickly be able to take on raiders for the gear drops and those will kill crappy fodder bros too fast. You can use knives/daggers to kill someone with the puncture attack without doing damage to their armor and get it as loot. This works best when you fully surround a panicked enemy since they can't run or attack anymore. Otherwise it can be a dangerous task early on because you'll need to hit a few stabs for a kill. But it pays to get into the mental habit of trying to isolate someone with good gear to maybe dagger them during or at the end of the fight. Flails are also very good early because bandits and raiders often will have no head armor. Killing them with the secondary flail attack also leaves their body armor intact as loot since it targets the head. Grinding raiders for their gear is pretty much basic 101 early game.

The bros that will let you do that are farmers, lumberjacks, brawlers, militia men, and butchers for instance. There are more simple backgrounds that can lead to good stats but those are at the top of my head. You want to be selective here and look for melee skill close to or above 60. Bros with melee at 50-55(without 2 or 3 stars) will be locked to using spears/swords forever to get hits in. Having stars in fatigue, hp, mattack/def or resolve is what you want on your early core. Though resolve is the fringe stat since you can run with 40 ish when fighting humans and having stars here only means that you need to invest fewer points to hit the benchmark of 45-50. I call those bros "early line" and their job is to use a shield+1h weapon and to get good at fighting raiders asap.

Here's the perk flow for them

Colossus
Gifted
Rotate
Recover
Underdog
Battleforged
Indomitable(sort of a flex perk but I like to have it to engage young orcs early)
Brawny
???(this is another flex point and I usually pick something like shield spec, frenzy/berserk or a funky weapon spec here)
Mace or Axe spec

This build doesn't take the common route with student as the first perk and instead ramps up its combat power quickly. The brunt of my early company is made up of theses dudes and they get me the money&gear I need to transition into the midgame where I then look for better recruits to lvl and replace my early hires one by one.

One more important tip is to have 2-3 decent archers in your early company to balance out the numerical advantage human enemies have against you or to counter their archers once yours have some skill. Also enemies will not advance towards you if they have archers and you don't and that sucks since you have to take hits while closing with them. Hunters have the best archer potential on average but are also kinda expensive. Looking for poachers or bowyers early on is fine enough but you can also find potential in some other cheap backgrounds. My 2nd archer in my current campaign was a caravan hand with 2 stars in ranged att and one star in ranged def and he's still around post day 150

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 1, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dkj posted:

No, I’m barely surviving most fights with spears and a couple ranged

Spears are a good weapon in the very early game, before enemies have very much armour and when your attack skills are low enough that you really need the +20 to hit. But as soon as you're reliably fighting enemies with significant armour, like bandit raiders, you'll find that your spears just don't do enough damage to get through their armour fast enough.

There are a few ways around this.

One is to give bros with high melee attack but low defence polearms and have them do most of your damage in the early game. Even just a warfork will do a lot more damage than poking someone with a spear once or twice a turn, and you can often get a pike or a longaxe off a raider fairly early in the game that will do a ton of damage to early enemies. This way you can still have the bonus melee attack from spears for your lovely bros who need it, but do significant damage in melee.

The other way, and the one that will serve you better long term imo, is to start switching people out of using spears as soon as you can. This will also let you try out other weapons and see which ones are good at which purposes. Swords are particularly good for the early game because they also have a bonus to hit chance (+10 instead of +20 for spears) but they do a lot more damage. Generally I swap bros off spears once they hit 60 attack skill, but bros with low attack I'll switch to swords instead of another weapon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Tin Tim posted:

Not exactly. Having some bad recruits die in the process of getting you money&gear and is pretty normal early on but don't lean into it too hard because it will wreck the morale of the bros that you want to keep alive. Imo you want to quickly transition into trying to level a few core bros with good potential in body and combat stats to carry you through the early game. These guys will eventually get ditched during the midgame but you want to quickly be able to take on raiders for the gear drops and those will kill crappy fodder bros too fast. You can use knives/daggers to kill someone with the puncture attack without doing damage to their armor and get it as loot. This works best when you fully surround a panicked enemy since they can't run or attack anymore. Otherwise it can be a dangerous task early on because you'll need to hit a few stabs for a kill. But it pays to get into the mental habit of trying to isolate someone with good gear to maybe dagger them during or at the end of the fight. Flails are also very good early because bandits and raiders often will have no head armor. Killing them with the secondary flail attack also leaves their body armor intact as loot since it targets the head. Grinding raiders for their gear is pretty much basic 101 early game.

The bros that will let you do that are farmers, lumberjacks, brawlers, militia men, and butchers for instance. There are more simple backgrounds that can lead to good stats but those are at the top of my head. You want to be selective here and look for melee skill close to or above 60. Bros with melee at 50-55(without 2 or 3 stars) will be locked to using spears/swords forever to get hits in. Having stars in fatigue, hp, mattack/def or resolve is what you want on your early core. Though resolve is the fringe stat since you can run with 40 ish when fighting humans and having stars here only means that you need to invest fewer points to hit the benchmark of 45-50. I call those bros "early line" and their job is to use a shield+1h weapon and to get good at fighting raiders asap.

Here's the perk flow for them

Colossus
Gifted
Rotate
Recover
Underdog
Battleforged
Indomitable(sort of a flex perk but I like to have it to engage young orcs early)
Brawny
???(this is another flex point and I usually pick something like shield spec, frenzy/berserk or a funky weapon spec here)
Mace or Axe spec

This build doesn't take the common route with student as the first perk and instead ramps up its combat power quickly. The brunt of my early company is made up of theses dudes and they get me the money&gear I need to transition into the midgame where I then look for better recruits to lvl and replace my early hires one by one.

One more important tip is to have 2-3 decent archers in your early company to balance out the numerical advantage human enemies have against you or to counter their archers once yours have some skill. Also enemies will not advance towards you if they have archers and you don't and that sucks since you have to take hits while closing with them. Hunters have the best archer potential on average but are also kinda expensive. Looking for poachers or bowyers early on is fine enough but you can also find potential in some other cheap backgrounds. My 2nd archer in my current campaign was a caravan hand with 2 stars in ranged att and one star in ranged def and he's still around post day 150

Lots of good info here. For good early game backgrounds:

Farmers
Brawlers
Caravan Hands
Thieves
Butchers
Messengers
Poachers
Shepherds can roll well for ranged attack and possibly make decent archers early, but its a gamble

You'll want someone to run a banner when you get that ambition. Good choices early are:
Wildman
Monk
Flagellant

Personally, I don't explicitly try to run many meat shields early on but you always end up with lovely bros no matter what. This is my perk breakdown to make the most of those:

Colossus
Gifted
Fast Adaptation
Dodge
...and they usually don't make it past this point. I either dismiss them or they get killed. Colossus and dodge are for survivability, since I generally use lovely characters as tanks. Gifted is great on just about everybody but especially for garbage tier bros to buff their terrible stats. Fast Adaptation to let them hit things every once in a while. Give them a shield and a spear and whatever armor I can be fine with losing and put them in the path of the things I don't want killing my good bros.

I think one of the ways to make the early game a little less brutal is, ironically, embracing death. Its sometimes easier to cycle through the bad characters to get the contracts completed than to try to keep everyone alive. Get a terrible character surrounded by a bunch of enemies and just have him spam shieldwall until he dies while the rest of the team gangs up on the remaining forces. Use the bad bros to tank hits from the raider in the good mail shirt until your other guys can make it over there with the daggers and flails. Bad bros are worth less than decent armor and its sometimes best to make that trade, especially in the earliest parts of a run.

Other bits of advice for new players:

Camps are a good source of money and gear. In the early game, they often are about the same difficulty as any wandering bands or one skull contracts but can often pay better. As you progress, camps become the primary way to earn money and find famed gear

You can use an indicator item in your inventory to gauge how good of a sell price you can get when selling gear to a market. For example, round shields are "worth" 100g and if the market is buying them for at least 18g then its a decent place to sell. Its usually easiest to use an item with some multiple of 100 since it is clearer to see as a percentage. Cities/citadels are generally better than towns/villages and prices are influenced by your relationship. Repairing higher tier items before selling generally nets more money, even factoring in tool costs

Early on, take as many fights as you can. The game difficulty progresses mostly by time (and by the size of your company) so early fights are easier, usually, and the penalty for losing guys is less significant. You don't want to goof around too much early on when you should be trying to level your good bros and get better gear as quickly as possible to mitigate the difficulty curve. Be careful though, sometimes the game likes to throw strong enemies like necrosavants at you on like day 12 just to mock you. Still, its good to crush as many thugs and thralls and cutthroats as you can early on.

Tin Tim mentioned this, but to reiterate: you want some ranged bros pretty soon since the enemy will turtle up if they think they have ranged superiority. This includes raiders with throwing weapons as well as dedicated archers. I've done stuff like give my frontline throwing weapons and my backline slings that I never intend to use just to get the enemy to advance on me. Nothing feels worse than getting chewed apart by withering volleys of missile fire as you try to climb a hill to a raider camp because those fuckers won't move

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jinx posted:

I think the worst mechanic in the game, besides the terrain generation, is the ranged attack scatter nonsense.

what. scatter mechanic owns actually

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

peddlers aren't terrible to try super early, they have high starting defences if you just want a dude to stand there with a spear and not die for a bit, and dodge is a decent perk for explicit fodder bros too for similar reasons.

And my last 3 runs have been poachers, just to start with 3 lategame worthy archers is p sick and since the game advancing by time so much is a thing your dudes being faster is huge. When I get home I'll post the seed I have, 4 ports well spread out and the map generally seems decent but I'm not super picky tbh. And seconding scatter mechanic pwns, die polearm dude with anothet behind you.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hold on to throwing weapons if you are not able to get good ranged bro's early on. You won't be using the throwing weapons, but the AI does a check to see how much range you can output versus its own forces, which determines if they turtle or come to you. A few frontline bro's with throwing weapons can artificially inflate that value.

If you have rotation it can be a good idea to put a ranged unit 2 paces in front of your main line. This causes the melee units to charge the archer but not hit them, you can then rotate the archer out with a tank. This can be dangerous but it is a good way to bait enemies out of a strong defensive line.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I just noticed that my current map only has one single blast furnace :argh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Try to avoid hiring bad bros though - it’s better to have fewer good bros; because difficulty scaling is heavily influenced by number of bros in your company.

Also spears do very little damage. You need them early on for the accuracy bonus; and it’s common to keep one at each end of the line later on so that you can use spearwall to help prevent large groups of enemies from surrounding you; but aside from that once your guys get above 60ish melee attack you need to start swapping the spears out for weapons that do more damage.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Probably can't overstate the importance of getting polearms early. A pike at the start of the game will demolish most opposition, as its damage is relatively high and it gets +10% to hit. So if you find a bro with North of 55 melee with atleast a star in matk that's a Bro that will serve you up until you are stabbing knights for their stuff, and many cheap backgrounds will achieve this. If you can make a bro who can proc fearsome too that's great and you will often spend very little on them and they are well protected for leveling. I will often use bros in this way until I have better bros to replace them with, at which point I'll retire them if I'm feeling sentimental or they can join the shield wall if they've rolled enough points in mdef and fatigue.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly the big trap of this game is "wall of spears". For me i've got a small checklist and then deviate depending on what i wanna gently caress about with.

Spears for anyone with <55att

Swords for 55-60 for a little more damage but also reliability

Maces/Axes when you get higher than that.

Don't gently caress with 2h bro's on your front line until you get a feel for the game, use your backliners for damage. Remember that if you shove an enemy off of a bro the enemy will usually only be able to get 1 attack off next turn. If you have a brother who's getting hosed up and is already in shield wall, sometimes its better to push rather than stab, so you can move someone else onto that spot and give him some room. That also means the bro is less likely to be hit, due to not being "surrounded".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 2, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Generally also I think there will be a period between having good enough attack that you don't need spears and being able to give your guys winged maces/heavy southern maces during which you'll have flails. You don't want to be stuck using them once the crisis rolls around but in the mean time Tier 3 flails and 3 headed flails are the most common of the top tier weapons you'll loot; and they're also helpful in getting around shields and killing bandits that often run around in mail but no helmet - plus you can use them to help loot body armour as an alternative to daggers.

Also you tend to find arming swords relatively easily and they aren't too bad as an intermediate weapon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think one of my favorite things about this game is how backgrounds/traits can really matter just for roleplay events and stuff.

Common backgrounds with generally good events:
Wildman
Monk (Monks have a LOT of mostly good interactions with other backgrounds)
Thief
Brawler
Fisherman (their events don't proc a lot but as far as I know the only two they got are a fish story that improves everyone's mood, and making a net for free)

I know I'm missing a bunch but those first 4 generally are funny or good when they roll up events. I almost always get a monk banner even if adventurous nobles are better overall because Monks have a ridiculous amount of good events and prevent probably one of the absolute worst ones (Hedge Knight duel).

A brother with the Dumb trait will trigger a lot of funny/mostly positive events too. If you get the horse race one you can trade a concussion for a lot of gold every time it happens. I'm trying to think of who has the absolute worst events, and I want to just say it's the two Hedge Knight event since the results without a Monk are generally very very bad (dead brother, or the whole band is dissatisfied and you're down 2000 crowns, or everyone takes damage/wounds).

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
The positive event for the Team Player trait can trigger multiple times, great for buffing weak resolve bros even as a benchwarmer

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I almost always get a monk banner even if adventurous nobles are better overall because Monks have a ridiculous amount of good events and prevent probably one of the absolute worst ones (Hedge Knight duel).
I've seen the monk=banner sentiment pop up a few times and I can't really agree with that. I mean I get it. Your banner is the most likely role to sit around in reserve because you only really need it against geists and maybe when fighting one or multiple orc warlords. Monks also don't have frontline stats so they need to find a role in the backline. However, since their physical stats often roll badly I can't really use them as banner bros. I want my banner to hit at least 80 matk to consistently land disarm with the whip. Base fatigue is also a concern since rally burns a lot of stam and monks can roll as low as 80 as their base. So finding a monk with 50 base resolve plus two stars in it while also having enough good bases in the physical stats is a very tall order. So my usual monk ends up being on the bench mostly but I still spec them for polearm+whip and pray that their matk turns out well enough so that they can contribute to the fight when I need to swap them in for the mood.

Imo you mostly find your good banner bros on accident while rolling through recruits. Any bro with close to 50 base resolve and 2-3 stars has the potential to become a good banner if the base fatigue and matt is high enough. Adventurous nobles have the highest base resolve but I find them to be too expensive on average to roll on them for a banner. Also the negative base in rdef is a problem because it makes them arrow magnets if you don't sink some points into it. My favorite backgrounds to roll for a banner are squires and beast slayers since they have a good chance to hit all the base stats I want and "only" need to luck out on the stars and their base resolve. Sadly both backgrounds are quite rare and I prefer to find a beast slayer due to some of their events. So usually I pick up a serviceable banner bro in the early game and then ditch them later when I found my real banner

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I would never hire an expensive background to be a bannerman; given I usually find they spend 90% of fights on the bench. I usually just give my gunners rally the troops, and that's almost always good enough for the very rare situation where I need to use rally but I didn't bring my actual sergeant; since my gunners usually hit around 100 resolve.

In my gladiator game I didn't have a bannerman at all - I found a hunter with 3 stars in resolve and made him into a Gunnery Sergeant. I kept the banner in my inventory the entire game in case I needed it but I never had to use it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tin Tim posted:

I've seen the monk=banner sentiment pop up a few times and I can't really agree with that. I mean I get it. Your banner is the most likely role to sit around in reserve because you only really need it against geists and maybe when fighting one or multiple orc warlords. Monks also don't have frontline stats so they need to find a role in the backline. However, since their physical stats often roll badly I can't really use them as banner bros. I want my banner to hit at least 80 matk to consistently land disarm with the whip. Base fatigue is also a concern since rally burns a lot of stam and monks can roll as low as 80 as their base. So finding a monk with 50 base resolve plus two stars in it while also having enough good bases in the physical stats is a very tall order. So my usual monk ends up being on the bench mostly but I still spec them for polearm+whip and pray that their matk turns out well enough so that they can contribute to the fight when I need to swap them in for the mood.

Imo you mostly find your good banner bros on accident while rolling through recruits. Any bro with close to 50 base resolve and 2-3 stars has the potential to become a good banner if the base fatigue and matt is high enough. Adventurous nobles have the highest base resolve but I find them to be too expensive on average to roll on them for a banner. Also the negative base in rdef is a problem because it makes them arrow magnets if you don't sink some points into it. My favorite backgrounds to roll for a banner are squires and beast slayers since they have a good chance to hit all the base stats I want and "only" need to luck out on the stars and their base resolve. Sadly both backgrounds are quite rare and I prefer to find a beast slayer due to some of their events. So usually I pick up a serviceable banner bro in the early game and then ditch them later when I found my real banner
The main reason I prefer monks for banners so far is that I don't use my banner much- if I get a decent brother who gets a couple stars in resolve and a good base roll I don't mind using them as a banner at all (because if my banner can fight worth a poo poo it's good), but I also just like having a monk around for their events and their interactions with events I really don't like.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone But Flagellants™

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I had a monk bro with 150 resolve, it was nice to stick him in the centre of my peasants and just mulch undead all day. He's not for every fight though.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

I would never hire an expensive background to be a bannerman; given I usually find they spend 90% of fights on the bench. I usually just give my gunners rally the troops, and that's almost always good enough for the very rare situation where I need to use rally but I didn't bring my actual sergeant; since my gunners usually hit around 100 resolve.

In my gladiator game I didn't have a bannerman at all - I found a hunter with 3 stars in resolve and made him into a Gunnery Sergeant. I kept the banner in my inventory the entire game in case I needed it but I never had to use it.

Yea, I have a banner in my gunners back pocket, but he has quick hands and 68 MAtk, so he can sometimes do a poke when it fits the situation. Usually he'll have an extra set of throwing weapons instead and rally without it. Also has 130 resolve with fortified mind so that helps I suppose. Yes, I had massive luck with this guy.

Edit:
Just attempted the Kraken fight. Is there some trick to this, or is it just to hope for a patch of dry land? I stood on one and cut up tentacles for 2 hours until that thing finally gave and died. 2 dead nimble bros. Whips are decent, so are cleavers, but nowhere near enough. It's like continuously spawning lindwurms O.o Can you actually punch through the armour on that thing and kill it in a reliable fashion?

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Yea, I have a banner in my gunners back pocket, but he has quick hands and 68 MAtk, so he can sometimes do a poke when it fits the situation. Usually he'll have an extra set of throwing weapons instead and rally without it. Also has 130 resolve with fortified mind so that helps I suppose. Yes, I had massive luck with this guy.

Edit:
Just attempted the Kraken fight. Is there some trick to this, or is it just to hope for a patch of dry land? I stood on one and cut up tentacles for 2 hours until that thing finally gave and died. 2 dead nimble bros. Whips are decent, so are cleavers, but nowhere near enough. It's like continuously spawning lindwurms O.o Can you actually punch through the armour on that thing and kill it in a reliable fashion?

I think you’re supposed to hit the main body with polearms?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The kraken fight is basically have a bro with the goblin trophy go smack the poo poo out of the kraken as he can't get grabbed (with a pole hammer). The rest just back tentacles. Whips are good

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

The kraken fight is basically have a bro with the goblin trophy go smack the poo poo out of the kraken as he can't get grabbed (with a pole hammer). The rest just back tentacles. Whips are good

So if a guy has the goblin trophy he can’t be snatched up? Does that mean you could theoretically just send one guy into the fight and have him stand by the head and chip away until it dies? Or are there other sources of damage? What if the one guy was wearing davkul armour?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
*Solo Kraken fight (there are some naked bros to distract)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhcqb-v8RQ

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I'm fighting conscripts the first time and Disarm seems to be not working on them. Each time I use it on the conscript with a two-handed weapon, he immediately wields it again and attacks normally. Is this a bug, or do they really have something that makes Disarm ineffective?

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
It's because they have quick hands. They can immediately re-equip the weapon after being disarmed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lord Bude posted:

So if a guy has the goblin trophy he can’t be snatched up? Does that mean you could theoretically just send one guy into the fight and have him stand by the head and chip away until it dies? Or are there other sources of damage? What if the one guy was wearing davkul armour?

Eventually after doing enough damage some tentacles start attacking rather than grabbing. They hit pretty hard so probably davkul armour.

E: To answer you though, yes the goblin necklace prevents grabs from tentacles.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 3, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Eventually after doing enough damage some tentacles start attacking rather than grabbing. They hit pretty hard so probably davkul armour.

E: To answer you though, yes the goblin necklace prevents grabs from tentacles.

Interesting might be worth playing around with. I've actually never attempted the Kraken despite over a thousand hours in the game because it just seems like way to much bullshit to worry about.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

Ah! There is a thing, yes. I have a polehammer guy with a decent named all ready to go.

The Lord Bude posted:

Interesting might be worth playing around with. I've actually never attempted the Kraken despite over a thousand hours in the game because it just seems like way to much bullshit to worry about.

It is some massive bullshit, but now I have to try giving him the polehammer. I suggest you do too :v:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Weebus posted:

It's because they have quick hands. They can immediately re-equip the weapon after being disarmed.

I see. I can't believe how bullshit they are, each conscript seems to be equal to a 9th level mercenary.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Gantolandon posted:

I see. I can't believe how bullshit they are, each conscript seems to be equal to a 9th level mercenary.

They are quite tough. Whips and cleavers help though. Disarm and bleed them out.

Tried to give the Kraken the (polehammer)shaft, and that worked well, until i had my first crash in ages. So close. Ah well, here we go again, and hope for a nice map.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Gantolandon posted:

I'm fighting conscripts the first time and Disarm seems to be not working on them. Each time I use it on the conscript with a two-handed weapon, he immediately wields it again and attacks normally. Is this a bug, or do they really have something that makes Disarm ineffective?

Yeah, its some bullshit but it works for your bros too. If you have quick hands and get disarmed, you can switch to a second weapon with no penalty or switch your main weapon to your pocket and back again to get off one attack with a 1Hander or a 2H cleaver. I think even with QH you can't switch a non-cleaver 2Hander back in and still attack though.

The Lord Bude posted:

I've actually never attempted the Kraken despite over a thousand hours in the game because it just seems like way to much bullshit to worry about.

:same:

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Well. That went noticeably better.

Get long hammer->Get goblin trophy->go hit kraken on head->profit

Some notes:
Mind your nimblers, the tentacles wreak havoc on squishy lads with low MDef in the second stage. I kept mine well back, and made sure to kill of any that got near them. I also delayed the killing for a few rounds to get into proper position and start smashing the head.

Edit: I made sure to wear down a few tentacles in the beginning rounds, so that when they finally opened up, I could finish off that first wave and get my nimblers far away and well guarded. Then killed them as fast as possible to get down to the last 5 spawning. This made for minimum damage.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 3, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I cannot for the love of god ever find a bro with more than 1 star and 50ish on ranged attack. I get lots of 2 or 3 star guys at 36-38 so I'm using them but that's not really ideal, they're level 4 and 53(3 stars), 51, (3 stars), 50 (2 stars).

Also what's a good handgonne build? I can't find any on any of the wikis.

And finally, the reason I posted this: can you tell base stats of bros like you can tell their perks? for instance I can see 'fatigue' but the number changes after I take off armour. Shouldn't I see fatigue base and current, rather than just 'fatigue, take off all armor to see the real number'. It's hard to judge who's good at what if you need to remove everyone's armour first.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

redreader posted:

I cannot for the love of god ever find a bro with more than 1 star and 50ish on ranged attack. I get lots of 2 or 3 star guys at 36-38 so I'm using them but that's not really ideal, they're level 4 and 53(3 stars), 51, (3 stars), 50 (2 stars).

Also what's a good handgonne build? I can't find any on any of the wikis.

And finally, the reason I posted this: can you tell base stats of bros like you can tell their perks? for instance I can see 'fatigue' but the number changes after I take off armour. Shouldn't I see fatigue base and current, rather than just 'fatigue, take off all armor to see the real number'. It's hard to judge who's good at what if you need to remove everyone's armour first.

No; you have to take off their armour/adjust for traits. The only exception is on the level up screen where you see raw base stats.

Look for poachers and hunters - poachers always spawn with matk in the high 40s and hunters can hit the high 50s.

You generally want 90+ for archers; but throwers can get away with 80+ because they have a significant base accuracy bonus and you usually want to attack enemies 2 hexes away for max damage.

For handgonnes:

Bear in mind they are an excellent mechanism for applying fearsome and overwhelm debuffs - this is arguably of equal or greater benefit than the actual damage.

You also don’t need stamina - movement notwithstanding you’ll only have a net increase of 1 fatigue each round and I can guarantee you won’t be able to attack every round in any event. Only boost fatigue if you also want them to be able to use rally; and even then I’d suggest around 100-110 base fatigue is enough.

Having rally is helpful because they have high resolve anyway; and so they can either be backup sergeants; or they can be used instead of your main banner sergeant in many fights where you don’t need to rally frequently; or in a gladiator run even serve as your actual sergeant.

Level rATK and resolve every level; get health (aim for 70-80) and stamina to where you need it (can leave stamina at the level 1 value most of the time; or maybe take 1-2 levels in it).

Maybe take the occasional max roll in rdef but more than 12 or so is a waste.

After that; take any max roll you can get in initiative; to help make sure you can proc overwhelm.

I usually give a gunner the hyena attachment for extra initiative.

For perks:

Student
gifted
Rally the troops (can optionally be colossus if you don’t need/want your gunners to have rally)
Crossbow/gun mastery
Footwork
Nimble
Overwhelm
Fearsome
Relentless
Fortified mind

The last perk is a free pick - you can go with executioner to potentially boost damage a bit; crippling strikes to increase chance of injury; fast adaptation to maximise hits - note that each enemy in the AOE counts as a seperate hit so you can proc it and then expend it with the one attack. It’s rare to hit every enemy even with a top tier gunner so this can be helpful. Or you can take an extra defensive perk if you want.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Along with Hunters, who are the best for ranged, and Poachers who are good runners up, you can also try Witchhunters, Militia, and ranged Nomads (they'll come with a bow/sling). They aren't as good as Hunters/Poachers usually but can high roll RATK and get in the same ballpark. You can also get lucky with Shepherds if you're hard up for archers in the early game.

If you're ok with mods, there's an expanded try out mod on Nexus that lets you pay to see stars (as well as traits) on potential recruits. Some folks might see it as cheating but I use it because I can't be bothered to buy every lovely recruit in every town to find the handful of non-lovely bros. There's also a mod that lets you hover over their icons and it will tell you their stat ranges, which you can also just look up on the wiki.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
The mod I use shows stars, traits and the stat spread shown as X/Y where X is the dude's stat and Y is the max roll for that background.

At this point I can't go back, the mod doesn't magically manufacture godlike bros, it just gets you the same bros you would have picked anyways without all the wasted time and gold drafting recruits

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
The mod i used also made tryouts a bit more expensive to balance out the fact that you wouldn't be wasting money on shite recruits. I found that it worked well. Still made me think about if it was worth rolling on the recruit without making me want to savescum.

Also, sellswords sometimes come with high ranged attack. Most expensive background there is (besides possibly hedge knight) when you take into account that they get a few events that increases their pay. They often have the greedy trait too, but if you need a good ranged character, then you need a good ranged character. Raiders sometimes work too, but not if you want massive resolve.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 4, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question on Gonners, does crippling strikes help a lot? I know Gonners don't do a ton of damage through armor, but does it make an appreciable difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Donkringel posted:

Question on Gonners, does crippling strikes help a lot? I know Gonners don't do a ton of damage through armor, but does it make an appreciable difference?

I'm not sure. On my first peasant run with gunners I took it; on my gladiator run I didn't because my gunner was also my sergeant, but there are so many variables at play that it's hard to say. I didn't miss it; but then again I also had a kick rear end fencer and my superstar viper. I do know that it makes a pretty big difference to something like javelins vs say chosen; but I'm not sure if gunners will do enough damage to make it worthwhile. I think it falls under the 'well you might as well' category if you don't need your gunner to have rally the troops but I wouldn't lose sleep over skipping it if you want rally or if you decide to take colossus or something.

I will point out that the injury pool for gunpowder weapons is pretty good - there are only 4 total and 3 of them are pretty debilitating.