Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sweeper posted:

does anyone in this thread use swift? maybe i should port our stuff over and leave python forever in the dust

Given you are posting immediately after rjmccall, I am hoping this was a joke :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pfft, i’m a c++ programmer

(sadly)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for my part i just started a new project in erlang out of thread (well, we all know who's) influence.

good fit though, as it is very much a swarm of little servers with a rather bespoke hot/cold standby and state management setup. thoroughly enjoying the excellent documentation and no-nonsense practical engineering so far.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

rjmccall posted:

(sadly)

i learned c/c++ in college and now i'm mostly a python progarmmer :rip:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sweeper posted:

does anyone in this thread use swift? maybe i should port our stuff over and leave python forever in the dust

port what stuff over? I'm not a swift programmer at all and under the impression it was used to make ios apps and nothing else

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Swift.org/releases exists, even on windows
And vapor.codes is for server side swift.

As far as actual usage, that’s a thin slice of the pie, but I’m all for a natively running ARC language that provides an alternative to C++

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 2, 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah rust is pretty great

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Boiled Water posted:

port what stuff over? I'm not a swift programmer at all and under the impression it was used to make ios apps and nothing else

we have lots of integration tests which are all async as the run dozens of processes and manage a bunch of state, we currently use python for it, I’d rather using swift but idk if anyone outside of iOS uses it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sweeper posted:

we have lots of integration tests which are all async as the run dozens of processes and manage a bunch of state, we currently use python for it, I’d rather using swift but idk if anyone outside of iOS uses it

not really, AFAIK, but the few people who do will be more than willing to tell you all about it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sweeper posted:

reduce your candidate pool with this one weird trick

hiring managers hate this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

swift has great ergonomics for both use and learning. if experienced developers can’t learn it on the job then your problems with hiring happened a while ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

The problem with swift seems to be that even though it supports other platforms, Apple simply has no interest in trying to persuade people to use it outside of ios/os x.

Compare that to poo poo like Dart where nobody actually wants to use it but by golly Google is just going to keep trying until you do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hope everything I do is compared to Dart, especially around review season.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
what is dart's raison d'etre anyway

like does it anything going on besides being another OO compile-to-javascript lang

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

animist posted:

like does it anything going on besides being another OO compile-to-javascript lang

https://flutter.dev/ is apparently all dart

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tanners posted:

https://flutter.dev/ is apparently all dart
The actual core rendering engine is apparently not dart, they just decided to tack on dart to force people to use it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean don't get me wrong; apparently Dart is an okay language now, but there is absolutely zero reason for it to exist or for a ui toolkit to have its own stupid language when they could have used javascript, kotlin, go, java, python, c#, I don't know, anything.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

animist posted:

getting googlers promoted

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

animist posted:

solution in search of a problem

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's apparently been around for 9 years and nobody has done anything with it until almost a decade passed, lmao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I thought it changed basically completely during that time, like they rebooted it a few years in but kept the name?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I thought it changed basically completely during that time, like they rebooted it a few years in but kept the name?
They changed it to be a statically typed language, yeah. Also it was originally supposed to be embedded into web browsers.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mystes posted:

They changed it to be a statically typed language, yeah. Also it was originally supposed to be embedded into web browsers.

oh right! forgot it started as vbscript revisited

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
dart's really fascinating to me. I always assumed it came from the GWT side of Google - yknow, the Java-to-JS framework that used to power like >50% of Google's applications that no one ever really talks about? - but I guess it just came straight from the guy who lead V8. I do believe most Dart 1.x usage happened in Google apps that used to be GWT-powered, though, like Adwords (this was back when AngularDart was a thing, which is wild to think about in retrospect. apparently it's still in active use at Google because of course it is)

fwiw, from the start, Dart had optional static type annotations (like mypy/etc); Dart 2.0 did introduce actual type soundness tho. I think it has a potentially interesting niche as a language for building apps in that isn't held back by the past sins of another language, like TypeScript with JS or Kotlin with Java/JVM (though, yes, I know there has been increased activity around native Kotlin as it gets more popular).

really, I want Swift to be that language, but obviously Apple has no interest in that. and I think Flutter is really cool, and we need to have some better cross-platform UI frameworks if we ever want to escape our web app and Electron hell. when I look at Flutter, I can't think of any other language I'd use instead of Dart, honestly. heck, because of its history, it already compiles to JS, making it the only game in town for cross-platform mobile/web UI programming other than react-native-web (whether or not this is a good thing, I dunno)

people aren't gonna do application development in rust outside of hyper performant needs like games, no one should ever be writing go for any reason, typescript is limited in performance and runtime abilities (given the erased types, if i'm using that term correctly?), kotlin native is too immature afaik, swift outside of mac/ios is too immature, and... pretty much any other languages i can think of are either bad for application development or don't have static types beyond optional annotations, not ideal in 2020

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 3, 2020

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

raminasi posted:

getting googlers promoted

This is the correct answer. Also the same reason Google was looking to invent its own libc some time ago.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

rjmccall posted:

(sadly)

At least you’re not a gamedev c++ programmer. Which is to say, mostly a C programmer with just enough C++ to make you hate yourself.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

abraham linksys posted:

really, I want Swift to be that language, but obviously Apple has no interest in that. and I think Flutter is really cool, and we need to have some better cross-platform UI frameworks if we ever want to escape our web app and Electron hell. when I look at Flutter, I can't think of any other language I'd use instead of Dart, honestly. heck, because of its history, it already compiles to JS, making it the only game in town for cross-platform mobile/web UI programming other than react-native-web (whether or not this is a good thing, I dunno)

flutter for web is something that technically exists but which you should only use if you absolutely despise your users.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I used flutter and dart in a hackathon and we won and it’s a pretty decent language

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

abraham linksys posted:

but I guess it just came straight from the guy who lead V8.

the word on the street back in the day was that Lars Bak really didn’t want to work on JS, so Google (Sundar, not yet CEO) said they’d let him build a new language with his team after V8. if you look at the earlier versions of V8 it’s basically as if his previous two big projects, Self and HotSpot, were in a teleporter accident

unfortunately for them, Go sort of ate all the “Google language” shininess and JS started moving again so Dart got left behind

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
there has been one program written in c++ that is worthy of praise, and that program is llvm. what a coincidence that the sole purpose of this program is to allow you to use programming languages other than c++

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ok so none of these languages is very good but we’ve learned a lot and I’m sure if we just try again we’ll nail it this time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use c#

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

just use c#

I'd pegged you as a dvorak guy, but only on qwerty is C next to F

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Soricidus posted:

ok so none of these languages is very good but we’ve learned a lot and I’m sure if we just try again we’ll nail it this time

:hmmyes:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

ah yes because python is the pinnacle of human achievement and we can never do better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rust and c#

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

rust and c#

the real rusty trombone

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sweeper posted:

ah yes because python is the pinnacle of human achievement and we can never do better

i don’t think python is good.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

animist posted:

to keep the people who wrote v8 employed at Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

akadajet posted:

the real rusty trombone

that's a rusty venture