Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

That is not a thing. The ai does that when it doesn't know where you are but is activated.

I know that behavior, but it wouldn't make sense in this case. I could move soldiers into the open within easy distance for him to walk over and flame me, but he still kept running back and forth around the objective. I even had people in range for him to toss a grenade if the wanted, but no go. And he was part of a pod that had activated, and he had the whole squad in line of sight for many turns in a row. Just weird.

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's also possible that the Purifier was attempting to shoot at the device (since at least one ADVENT unit usually tries to prioritize doing that), but couldn't figure out how since the flamethrower doesn't have a single-target directed attack.

It could be something like this, though. I think the objective device on those missions is immune to fire, and I don't think I've ever seen advent toss a grenade at one of them, so he may have just been stuck in a loop of 'I must attack the thing, but I can't attack the thing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That would also explain why his behaviour seemed similar to the nonsense you see when a pod activates but all your soldiers are still concealed. Whenever the AI can't figure out what to do, it just goes to its objective (pod leader, last patrol destination, device, etc.), and then uses all of its actions to mill around in confusion 1 or 2 spaces at a time. I always thought it would make more sense to use Overwatch as a sanity check in that case, but even that wouldn't have made a difference for a Purifier :v:

e: you can sometimes see this behaviour when trying to safely assassinate an alien ruler using Reaper + Sharpshooter degeneracy, at least on facility missions. Since the facility has a patrol route for the ruler, and the ruler can't find anything to massacre, it'll just very angrily run back and forth along its usual rounds (though sooner or later it'll simply lose its poo poo and charge in a random direction until it runs out of map, and if any of your troopers are spotted by anyone the ruler will immediately beeline for them)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2020

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Ran into the Berserker Queen for the first time. It was on a place on the map I was not expecting and patrolled into me.

My one support dude on overwatch got a shot off and procced the repeater instakill. Very funny, if a bit anticlimactic.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've had so many save the device missions ruined because a sectopod decided to just mosey through the building and smash everything

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lemony posted:

My one support dude on overwatch got a shot off and procced the repeater instakill. Very funny, if a bit anticlimactic.

I had a similar thing happen when fighting the hunter in his base. I've got RPGO on and one of the somewhat overpowered classes you can build can dual wield pistols and has an ability that lets them take an automatic shot with both guns at any newly revealed enemies in range. So I sent her up in range to activate the hunter spawn, and when he zapped in with his light flash and started monologueing about how he was going to murder everyone, he got one shot by a pistol that procced execute. I cracked up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first time I ran into the Berserker Queen it had already killed all the ADVENT on the map for me.

Thanks bud!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

I've had so many save the device missions ruined because a sectopod decided to just mosey through the building and smash everything

I feel like something is off in the balance on those missions anyway. It may be because my game has been swiss cheesed with mods over the years, but often on those missions I have to race across the map as fast as possible to have a remote chance at saving the objective. Otherwise the aliens will usually blast it down within 4 turns or so. Maybe something isn't set up right to beef up its HP as the alien power level increases.

I'll usually play campaigns with the double turn timer on anyway, because I never really enjoyed rushing when I tried the default. That setting should probably also double HP on the device on those missions, since that's effectively the same as a timer, but it doesn't seem to.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I’ve seen that behavior before with a purifier—its almost certainly trying to attack the device but can’t. It would also be hilarious if they programmed in that suicide behavior. If you have a gremlin combat protocol charge or a skullmine available, I’m pretty sure neither of those will ever trigger an explosion. Some of the psi abilities are probably the same.

Enemies will go huddle the objective if you have come out of concealment but have a stealthed soldier heading for the objective. That is a very real thing that does seem very ‘gamey’ and rather frustrating.

I just started a legendary run trying to rush psi for the first time and got a ‘detonate the device’ guerrilla op with lost and surgical sitreps. To top it off, they already had mechs and this was the first mission to rollout mutons. I still only have ballistics. :smithicide:

I took two sergeant rangers and a squaddie reaper. I had to break stealth with the rangers to destroy one of the transponders while running the reaper to the objective. They killed a lancer and mech near the LZ, and the muton from that pod retreated...to join the other pod camping the objective.

Luckily, setting the C4 doesn’t cost an action. I planted it with the reaper and then dashed as far away as possible out of LoS. The reaper (luckily) evaded the pursuit/shooting from the pod that now had 2 mutons, another mech, and a purifier—then went back into Shadow.

I camped the reaper up high back by the rangers for recon and played a 20 minute long game of cat and mouse with that last pod and the lost until they were all dead. Both rangers ended up with some nasty wounds but everyone went home with a successful mission.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's the simple things in life.

https://i.imgur.com/lU1t4ch.mp4

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Death of Julius Caesar, c. 44 BC. (colorized)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Et tu, Kelly?

chird
Sep 26, 2004

LWOTC is pretty great so far, that is my review

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos

chird posted:

LWOTC is pretty great so far, that is my review

It is. I'm eager to dive into it with the dev21 changes to Chosen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thinking of jumping back on XCOM 2 after a few years. What are some contemporary or classic gameplay mods to add spice to the game? For WotC, naturally.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ZearothK posted:

Thinking of jumping back on XCOM 2 after a few years. What are some contemporary or classic gameplay mods to add spice to the game? For WotC, naturally.

The stormrider and akimbo custom classes are both fully sick with custom animations

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

ZearothK posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a sort of base class remix pack, there's the Proficiency Pack and its addons for Reapers and Skirmishers, too.
I have a personal soft spot for Lucubrations sniper class as well.

In terms of weapons or other fun things, there's a number of mods that port the Long war tiers of lasers and coilguns into the tech tree. LW2 SMGs and secondary weapons are available as well.

Otherwise it depends heavily on how willing you are to get punched because a lot of enemy mods are sort of designed to be kicks in the dick for people playing with a lot of power.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ZearothK posted:

Mechatronic mod is mandatory for making Sparks way more fun to play/level up.

EDIT: This mod is mandatory: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2105749504

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 10, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Last time I played I remember liking the Proficiency class pack.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Clicking the next higher difficulty is the game's best mod

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

skaianDestiny posted:

Mechatronic mod is mandatory for making Sparks way more fun to play/level up.

EDIT: This mod is mandatory: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2105749504

I was interested in Mechtronic but no controller support since it depends on: New Promotion Screen by Default

Instead I went with a combination of Normalize SPARKs & Metal Over Flesh Redux for something similar

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Clibanarius posted:

It is. I'm eager to dive into it with the dev21 changes to Chosen.

Yeah I played Beta 3 till the Chosen turned up on a mission I had one soldier on and Assassin just killed her in the first turn after, seemed pretty pointless.

So I upgraded to dev 21.1. So far I’ve noticed more mission variety, though I’m not sure about the changes to reapers. Admittedly they were probably OP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

:toot:

Getting ready to start my second run. Last time, I went Grey Phoenix > Progeny > Sacred Coil. This time around I'm planning on going Sacred Coil > Grey Phoenix > Progeny. Gonna be starting off with the three agents I didn't use last time, Axiom, Claymore and Patchwork... who would be a good fourth member to round out this team at the start?

Hey, finally got around to finishing my second campaign after taking a long-rear end break from the game right around the time I got to the final pair of missions. :toot:

Final team this go around was Claymore, Shelter, Terminal, Cherub, Verge, Blueblood, Patchwork and Axiom. (Previous campaign was Torque, Shelter, Godmother, Terminal, Cherub, Verge, Blueblood and Zephyr.)

Next run's going to be Progeny > Sacred Coil > Grey Phoenix. This one's going to be rough... both of my previous campaigns, I leaned heavily on Regen Weave for sustain through a lot of those missions... gonna be interesting having to do without easy access to it for the duration of the investigation. :ohdear:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Zigmidge posted:

Excellent

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Shoenin posted:

Excellent

age hasn't slowed him down one bit

nor losing an arm, holy poo poo

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Re: custom maps on X2 WOTC (not LWOTC), do you still need the 'missing packages' mod?

I've downloaded these but will have to wait till later to test 'em, I remember map packs being notoriously buggy:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
One of those says 'non WOTC' so just a heads up. And most of those should have the missing packages mod as a required file. But who knows, hope your testing goes well.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

For whatever it's worth, the worst problems I've had with custom maps is just one part of it not loading, so there's a gaping hole in the map that has to be navigated around and provides no cover. It's a pain but it's a pain that you can work around. Haven't had anything like maps completely failing to load or saves corrupting or anything like that. And even that map hole problem has only happened once or twice in hundreds of hours of play time.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I seemed to do OK with those maps without issue (the one that says non-WOTC states it'll probably be OK with WOTC).

BUT I've gone back to LWOTC again, just at a lower difficulty with Chosen disabled and more unique enemies/missions/sitreps added. Still getting used to long war mechanics and I often realize around mission 25 or so I've completely blown it, but when I went back to WOTC alone it ended up feeling too simplistic and I kind of know what was gonna happen next. Also got fed up of the pods always moving towards you or in-between when stealthing, it can be quite fun to occasionally do stealth in LWOTC but not so fun in WOTC coz you know the pods will eventually all surround you.

About 50% of XCOM gameplay is trying to get the right combination of mods to make the 'perfect' game imo. Feels weird I'm playing with LW2 when it essentially died a few years back, but I think when LWOTC hits 1.0 and is released on the workshop there'll be some uptick.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

chird posted:

I seemed to do OK with those maps without issue (the one that says non-WOTC states it'll probably be OK with WOTC).

BUT I've gone back to LWOTC again, just at a lower difficulty with Chosen disabled and more unique enemies/missions/sitreps added. Still getting used to long war mechanics and I often realize around mission 25 or so I've completely blown it, but when I went back to WOTC alone it ended up feeling too simplistic and I kind of know what was gonna happen next. Also got fed up of the pods always moving towards you or in-between when stealthing, it can be quite fun to occasionally do stealth in LWOTC but not so fun in WOTC coz you know the pods will eventually all surround you.

About 50% of XCOM gameplay is trying to get the right combination of mods to make the 'perfect' game imo. Feels weird I'm playing with LW2 when it essentially died a few years back, but I think when LWOTC hits 1.0 and is released on the workshop there'll be some uptick.

Thanks for giving me a perfect segue to gush about Yellow Alert Gameplay and Dynamic Encounter Zones, which takes the LW alert system and ports a lot of it into WOTC. It's a change that seems like you wouldn't notice it, but it actually makes a lot of the game tick in a much more realistic manner when facing pods.

The game feels like a much more dangerous place because of it, you can't be entirely sure of where all the pods are on the map without scouting. If you have any radiers, the same modder also created a mod to deal with their spawns and pathing.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Torchlighter posted:

Thanks for giving me a perfect segue to gush about Yellow Alert Gameplay and Dynamic Encounter Zones, which takes the LW alert system and ports a lot of it into WOTC. It's a change that seems like you wouldn't notice it, but it actually makes a lot of the game tick in a much more realistic manner when facing pods.

The game feels like a much more dangerous place because of it, you can't be entirely sure of where all the pods are on the map without scouting. If you have any radiers, the same modder also created a mod to deal with their spawns and pathing.

I did see those mods when searching for that exact thing. I will definitely use them when I go back to WOTC.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The basic game does get pretty samey after replaying over and over. I don't even know how many campaigns I've done, but my manual save number is somewhere in the 300s. I tried the 'A Better _____' mods, but found their sometimes idiotic changes to be more frustrating than the variety was worth. Lately I've been messing with RPGO and a ton of custom classes, which is keeping things relatively fresh. And RPGO very considerately lets you uncheck some of their changes to weapons and weapon mods so if you hate them you don't have to deal with it. LWOTC is a consideration, but from the bits of news I hear about it, it seems like it may have it's own share of idiotic changes. Kind of waiting for a complete 1.0 version to come out and then see what people's impressions are before I give it a shot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I like a better advent a lot (i don't even mind the boomers), but i haven't gotten to endgame. does it add anything super frustrating to the back half?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Hooplah posted:

I like a better advent a lot (i don't even mind the boomers), but i haven't gotten to endgame. does it add anything super frustrating to the back half?

The Bad News: "Prime" variants of some enemies that are like Rulers-Lite. They get reactions whenever they take damage. In a couple cases, this is WORSE than Rulers; if you Fan Fire a Prime and it survives, it gets three immediate actions because it just took damage three times.

The Worse News: There is, in fact, a Sectopod Prime.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've had a situation where the Sectopod Prime triggered infinite attacks off a Spark with Taunt. Sectopod shoots, Spark taunts, Sectopod gets free reaction to shoot again, Spark taunts, repeat until Spark is dead.

I've also had situations where Sectopod Prime's just crash the game to desktop, but it's been a while.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Well if I hate these as much as it sounds like i may, i can always give rpgo another shot. i just really didn't like the amount of decisions it forces on the player with total control over classes, but totally random can make some completely useless mans, as lots of the classes are obviously supposed to go together. i guess i just didn't have the settings dialed in correctly last time i tried it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Well if I hate these as much as it sounds like i may, i can always give rpgo another shot. i just really didn't like the amount of decisions it forces on the player with total control over classes, but totally random can make some completely useless mans, as lots of the classes are obviously supposed to go together. i guess i just didn't have the settings dialed in correctly last time i tried it.

I'm also pretty bad at picking and choosing when I've got too many options. I haven't played any previous versions to compare, but at least in the current RPGO version there are some ways to control this. You can have it random up one perk line and let you pick the other two, so you kind of get a starting template to work with instead of just freezing from analysis paralysis when you're staring at a billion different possible combinations. There's also a smarter random-ish option that will try to put together classes that make some sense and can use a primary and secondary of some kind. So it might end up giving you two trees that use a sniper rifle and one that uses a grenade launcher. Also there's an option to allow everyone to use assault rifles, so in a pinch even the most disjointed mess of a class can still shoot aliens ok.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I made an XCOM2 mod/setup that extends the campaign another year, increasing the number of enemies every two weeks, like a Survival mode. But what I really wanted to do was add more pods each level instead of making the pods bigger, but that's much more tedious to do and probably why no-one has bothered doing it so I think I'll abandon it.

With this latest run I ended up removing more and more mods along the way that unbalanced the game, so I've ended up with a relatively vanilla game in the end.

Honestly, the most successful additions were these graphics mods:

[WOTC] Enhanced Ragdoll Physics and FX
[WOTC] Impact FX
[WOTC] Restored Ragdoll Collision
[WOTC] Holographic Scanning

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'd love a good extended campaign mod, but probably not something that just chokes the game with extra enemies. My computer already whines on maps with too many lost stacking up. Although I'm also wondering if I need to reinstall at some point, because loading saves is taking longer and longer and I'm wondering if having a few hundred old saves and years of mod detritus is starting to drag it down.

Anyway, I hope Xcom 3 gets the balance better so that it doesn't just feel like a constant race to push your tech levels up, but then as soon as you hit the last tier it turns into an extended victory lap. Even the extended pacing on legendary doesn't really help. You're still rushing for better weapons, it's just at a stretched out pace.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'd love a good extended campaign mod, but probably not something that just chokes the game with extra enemies. My computer already whines on maps with too many lost stacking up. Although I'm also wondering if I need to reinstall at some point, because loading saves is taking longer and longer and I'm wondering if having a few hundred old saves and years of mod detritus is starting to drag it down.

Anyway, I hope Xcom 3 gets the balance better so that it doesn't just feel like a constant race to push your tech levels up, but then as soon as you hit the last tier it turns into an extended victory lap. Even the extended pacing on legendary doesn't really help. You're still rushing for better weapons, it's just at a stretched out pace.

Just delete all your old saves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Just delete all your old saves

I know, that is the obvious choice. I just keep procrastinating because I kind of want to go back through and save off the well-dressed soldiers from earlier campaigns, but then whenever I boot the game I just end up playing instead of doing the vaguely responsible thing.