Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm looking to buy a modern washer/dryer in the near future and this post may have totally changed my direction in what I was looking for.

This is the model we got back in ~2018, I'm sure there's a newer 2020 version that's essentially the same

We really, really like it. We used to have to double-wash half of our loads because we put them in the wash at like 11pm and then forget until three days later and they smelled kinda funky. Now we just always have clean dry clothes ready to go in the washer. Game changer. Wife is never ever going back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LIAP2ZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're about to have kids, and laundry is a major pain point in your household, and money is no object, LG sells a 1.0 cu ft capacity washer called a "sidekick" that sits underneath it, get ended up getting one of those as well, great for when the kid barfs on themselves and you need to wash it immediately for about $700

https://www.lg.com/us/pedestal-washers

I think the latest washers offer "TWINWash" which uh, allows it to network to the main ventless washer/dryer for... I'm not sure why you would need that, but it's available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I purchased the Maytag commercial washer and dryer, and it's been a complete game changer, especially since our last one was a piece of crap GE front loading washer and dryer that came with the rental.

I can't recommend it enough. As a bonus, when the dryer cycle finishes, it plays a big gently caress off buzzer sound and it's impossible to miss. I haven't had it too long, so I can't attest to the durability, but I've read it's quite reliable.

I was worried the double agitators would tear up my clothes, but I use the delicate setting as needed and it's worked out fine so far.

You DO have to balance the load carefully though. This thing does not gently caress around.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
LG front loader owner and we've been fighting mildew since the day we got the damned thing despite following all the guidelines. We're moving this month and inheriting a Samsung front loader so it'll be interesting to see the difference. When we ran it during the inspection it leaked on the floor so not high hopes.

I did see one forums post from an owner that said replacing their braided steel supply hoses with rubber hoses solved their mildew issues, which is kinda interesting. I'm not super excited about trying that because that's a time bomb, but if the other LG owners have seen that I might.

HE top loaders are a thing and a nice compromise if I were buying new now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Are does queens no longer the default “buy this” washer recommendation? I think it was a year or two ago that they updated their main model and it was garbage. Was curious if they’d fixed that.

Also, I can’t seem to find it, but what was that lifetime laundry house recommendation? It was like 30-40 bucks, but the manufacturers had analyzed the failure mode on hoses and specifically crimped theirs so the water hammering didn’t turn the connectors into a knife edge?

I’m just about ready for a new washer, and of course I can’t find my notes on this stuff...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KS posted:

LG front loader owner and we've been fighting mildew since the day we got the damned thing despite following all the guidelines. We're moving this month and inheriting a Samsung front loader so it'll be interesting to see the difference. When we ran it during the inspection it leaked on the floor so not high hopes.

I did see one forums post from an owner that said replacing their braided steel supply hoses with rubber hoses solved their mildew issues, which is kinda interesting. I'm not super excited about trying that because that's a time bomb, but if the other LG owners have seen that I might.

HE top loaders are a thing and a nice compromise if I were buying new now.

My Samsung (2018 model) runs a 4 hour long cleaning cycle every 40 loads. We had mildew issues with our old Frigidaire (Electrolux) front loader, and even got like a 50 dollar payout from a class action about it, but running clean cycles and wiping the gasket out fixed those issues. My newer Samsung we've had zero issues with.

I'm pro front loader, they use much less water,, get clothes cleaner, and are gentler on fabrics. We do probably 10 loads of laundry a week, and the water savings alone add up. I think the Samsung we have uses less than 15 gallons of water a load.

It's a luxury for sure, but getting one with a tiny washer attached like the LG pedestal washer, or the Samsung Flex Washer is nice to have. We have the Samsung Flex washer and use the small top washer a lot more than we thought. Perfect for kids soccer uniforms, washing face masks, hats, gym clothes, or delicate undergarments or any other time you need to wash a few light items. It would have been great when the kids were little.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We have an LG front loader and you just have to wipe off the gasket after every load. Keep a washcloth next to the detergent, wipe it off. Takes 5 seconds. Never had any mold or mildew.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

NomNomNom posted:

We have an LG front loader and you just have to wipe off the gasket after every load. Keep a washcloth next to the detergent, wipe it off. Takes 5 seconds. Never had any mold or mildew.
I've never even done that. I've had my LG front loader for almost 10 years now, and I just leave the door open since its not in a high traffic area. Maybe once a year or so I'll use a washing machine cleaner pouch with the self clean cycle, but thats about it. I've never had an issue with mold or a mildewy smell in my washer.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

NomNomNom posted:

This is what I do, also no problems.

I do wonder if some of it is related to location though based on some of the horror stories out there. I live in a really dry climate, so that has to help with things like this.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Bioshuffle posted:

I purchased the Maytag commercial washer and dryer, and it's been a complete game changer, especially since our last one was a piece of crap GE front loading washer and dryer that came with the rental.

I can't recommend it enough. As a bonus, when the dryer cycle finishes, it plays a big gently caress off buzzer sound and it's impossible to miss. I haven't had it too long, so I can't attest to the durability, but I've read it's quite reliable.

I was worried the double agitators would tear up my clothes, but I use the delicate setting as needed and it's worked out fine so far.

You DO have to balance the load carefully though. This thing does not gently caress around.

Seconding this. I also have this set and I can not recommend them enough. We’ve had ours for over two years now.

It is Maytag’s answer to the SpeedQueen, so it’s essentially an indestructible laundromat machine in a residential package. The controls are dead simple (I hate the overcomplicated spaceship button panels on lots of modern washers), it is dumb (just has some colored lights to indicate status) and I appreciate the boxy 80’s aesthetic they have going on.

The delicate cycle is nice and easy on my lady clothes (I use net bags for extra delicate stuff), and the power wash cycle is absolutely brutal (I made the mistake of including a bathmat with rubber backing that was starting to dry out in the load, and afterwards I had to clean up with the shop vac).

The dryer is excellent too. It has the full range of temperature options that actually work so that elastic/stretchy stuff doesn’t get fried or whatever. Our apartment had a gas dryer that would scorch the poo poo out our clothes on all settings so I started line drying pretty much all my stuff, but I can put lots more stuff in this dryer and not have it get trashed by excessive heat. And I also like the loud angry buzzer.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa, I was JUST whining in the Discord that the roof company I signed a contract with in August had been ghosting me since September.

They emailed me moments ago to say "materials finally came in, planning to install November 16th". Neat!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa, I was JUST whining in the Discord that the roof company I signed a contract with in August had been ghosting me since September.

They emailed me moments ago to say "materials finally came in, planning to install November 16th". Neat!

Weather on Nov 16: rain rain rain!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ntan1 posted:

Weather on Nov 16: rain rain rain!

Dude I wouldn't be surprised if it's rain delayed through March. I'm in the PNW!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The contractor I signed with in early July just finished (today!) resheeting the outside of the house in preparation for new siding. Of course they found a bunch of issues that has pushed the price up (I fully expected this based on their quote / price, plus material difficulties re Covid, so we've got the contingency to cover it without issue). The delay was that the siding colour we wanted was delayed like 3 months, then we were waiting for dry weather. Happy they finished resheeting today, as there's an inch of snow on the ground.

I'm using the same contractor that did the roof - quality workmanship, terrible at actually running a business, but pricing is reflective of that so :v:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
man y'all better knock that poo poo off

Literally just signed contracts yesterday for a new roof and also for a new screened in porch/deck combo. I don't need these bad vibes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Getting my new driveway poured tomorrow!

What all should I write in the concrete before it dries?

I was thinking something like “Here Lies Mothman. May he never be resurrected” or “No regerts” or a set of gps coordinates.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

OSU_Matthew posted:

Getting my new driveway poured tomorrow!

What all should I write in the concrete before it dries?

I was thinking something like “Here Lies Mothman. May he never be resurrected” or “No regerts” or a set of gps coordinates.

Stick a small length of capped pipe coming out the side to really gently caress with future owners.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"No bodies here"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress. Our shower is leaking in to our living room again. Last time, it was an issue with the caulking around the shower door, which I fixed myself after we had a plumber come out and water mitigation people come out and make sure there wasn't a more serious leak. I also ended up recaulking the bottom part of our shower completely after that. We were planning on repainting our living room to fix the water damage, but should my first step in this case be to hire someone to do a very good/thorough job of resealing the shower completely?

Here's the quote I got:

quote:

Clear out shower drain. Clean prep and detail grout and tile for sealing and repair. Remove all loose, cracked and failed grout. Remove all bad caulk. Install our resin based colored sealant into new grout mix and existing grout lines. Replace grout and caulk as needed. Clean and buff to finish. All natural stone will receive multiple applications of our clear solvent sealer for deep protection.

For $600. Seem ok?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everything you have a contractor do to a house costs at least $600 so that checks

If they’ll warranty the work and do a good job color matching the grout I’d go for it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Fallom posted:

Everything you have a contractor do to a house costs at least $600 so that checks

If they’ll warranty the work and do a good job color matching the grout I’d go for it

Well

Elephanthead posted:

If it is tile find a 55 year old guy that has been doing showers for 30 years. If it is some fiberglass thing just get it replaced they are not that much. (Relative to a wet mop tile shower and not that much is thousands) I'm gonna have nightmares about this now.

He's in his 50s and showed up in a black pickup with a red Punisher sticker on it. He had an "I Voted" sticker on.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hey, we signed a contract for a fence in August and are still waiting. It's nuts out there...

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I ordered windows and siding near the end of September. By some miracle the windows came in today but siding is still end of November/beginning of December territory. Thankfully I’m done with lumber as that even seems hard to get or you pay through the nose for it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just got a very disturbing letter from our Mortgage Company. The most striking thing in the envelope: A check for over $5000.00. It's made out to someone in another state with an unfamiliar name, from our bank.

The letter states that the loan has been paid in full, and now here's a refund check. Not true.

It goes on to say that full reconveyance of the Deed of Trust (!!!) will be issued and recorded. To that other person I'm assuming??

Looks like a legit letter; it's from our bank, got our loan number on it, mailed to the correct name and our address.

Is this happening to a lot of people? What does it mean?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Happy Thread posted:

Just got a very disturbing letter from our Mortgage Company. The most striking thing in the envelope: A check for over $5000.00. It's made out to someone in another state with an unfamiliar name, from our bank.

The letter states that the loan has been paid in full, and now here's a refund check. Not true.

It goes on to say that full reconveyance of the Deed of Trust (!!!) will be issued and recorded. To that other person I'm assuming??

Looks like a legit letter; it's from our bank, got our loan number on it, mailed to the correct name and our address.

Get your mortgage companies phone number off their website, not the letter, and call them immediately. This is a scam of some sort.

It sounds like title fraud but I'm not sure how the refund and payoff factor into it.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-...s%20collateral.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 5, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The phone number on the letter (only appears in the footer) matches our bank website's posted loan help line

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Happy Thread posted:

It sounds like the bank hosed up and applied someone else's refi to your note. Don't cash the check, double check your credit reports, call the bank, and explain the situation.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We called the bank today. They were equally shocked and interested to view the letter. We've scanned and e-mailed them a copy to look at. They confirmed that our loan is still open as always, and no reconveyance has happened. Wonder what they'll say about the check!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

We called the bank today. They were equally shocked and interested to view the letter. We've scanned and e-mailed them a copy to look at. They confirmed that our loan is still open as always, and no reconveyance has happened. Wonder what they'll say about the check!

they'll say shred it / destory it.. This ain't monopoly, no bank error in your favor gain 1000 dollars etc.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

So my house is basically a townhome attached to another one. My wife and I went on a camping trip for a week and got back on Thursday. I happened to run into a neighbor on Friday when he was collecting his mail from the mailboxes that the lady who lived alone in the attached unit next to us had passed away probably about two weeks ago and the police only found her the morning before we got back home. We had noticed there was a faint scent of.. something in our master bathroom and a really strong scent in our guest room (which is directly underneath the master bath), likely from our neighbor who passed away. Great. Not sure what to do.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ihatepants posted:

So my house is basically a townhome attached to another one. My wife and I went on a camping trip for a week and got back on Thursday. I happened to run into a neighbor on Friday when he was collecting his mail from the mailboxes that the lady who lived alone in the attached unit next to us had passed away probably about two weeks ago and the police only found her the morning before we got back home. We had noticed there was a faint scent of.. something in our master bathroom and a really strong scent in our guest room (which is directly underneath the master bath), likely from our neighbor who passed away. Great. Not sure what to do.

Given the widespreadness of COVID during that time period, a sudden death of an elderly person where they didn't get help in time is most likely explained by that.

There were various Chinese studies speculating the transmission of COVID from airborne viral shedding from corpses. The mechanism was believed to be feces, since the rest of the body breaks down too rapidly for viral shedding; other Chinese studies had found the transmission of COVID from fecal aerosol fumes up to 200ft or so compared to shorter for exhalations. Get tested if you smelled it for that long. It's one thing to smell it through a wall, but if you had a shared bathroom vent or something your air supply's exposure might have been a bit too direct for comfort.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

I’ve got family who work in estate law, and this type of thing is more common than you’d think, unfortunately. People in their 80s start outliving all their close family and friends, or everyone has moved away. These also tend to be the more interesting cases estate lawyers deal with, so I’ve heard some stories.

These situations imply the next of kin is not close with the deceased, and may not even know old great-aunt-sally, in which case they will pay someone to do a clean out and sell as-is to the highest cash bidder. It may be a windfall they weren’t expecting, or they live 3 states away, and paying a couple middlemen is the path of least resistance.

Flippers usually love an estate sale and don’t care how many people died there. Old folks living alone tend to let their spaces fall into disrepair, and that’s more likely to be an issue than the fact that someone was dead in there for a bit. Ultimately, things like odors and staining are temporary, could be a part of any real estate transaction for any number of reasons, and can be dealt with.

Depending on how easy it is to find the next of kin, and how responsive/cooperative they are, this may take 1 month, or 6, or 12. The condo likely needs to go through probate court, which takes a few weeks minimum even if everything is cut & dry and undisputed. Can take a really long time if there’s family looking to get their piece of the inheritance and is willing to stir up poo poo about it. Or if everyone named in the will is already dead and you have to start tracking down relatives.

If you’re feeling curious you can probably set up a google news alert for the neighbors name + your city name. Many states publish probate court announcements in local papers and stuff, so you’ll at least know when the executor of the estate been given the go-ahead to sell, if you care

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

My evil puppy chewed through my window... any advice on next steps? It’s a 100 year old window and I am so stressed.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

If you want to replace the whole window, frame and all, it will almost certainly cost less than a grand.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meta² posted:

My evil puppy chewed through my window... any advice on next steps? It’s a 100 year old window and I am so stressed.

Well, hey, old windows suck so perfect time to replace it? It’s fairly ambitious but straightforward... just pop off all the trim, measure the rough opening, and order a new construction window to replace it. Low-e double hung vinyl is the way to go imho. Shim it in, nail/screw it in, and replace the trim.

You could also just get wood filler, sand and clean it up, and fill in the gouge there. If your puppy is that destructive, you might wish to put some bittering agent on stuff like that

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Whatever path you take - 100 years old means it's almost certain lead based paint. Please take appropriate precautions.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

meta² posted:

If I was in your shoes I’d just do a repair with wood filler and repaint. Looks like the join underneath the damage could use some glue and filler as well.

There are a pair of skinny wood strips along the sides of the jamb that you can unscrew (or pry off if nailed) and once those are out (might have to dig through some paint), you’ll be able to easily pop the lower sash out so you can repair it. Just make sure you secure the sash cords so you don’t lose the counterweights (assuming this is a hung window).

I know lots of folks poo poo on old windows for being inefficient and old, but one thing they have going for them is that, unlike modern windows, they are easy to repair and can last for a very, very long time with halfway decent maintenance. And they look infinitely better in an older house than the vast majority of off-the-shelf replacement windows (source: my Victorian is full of vinyl replacement windows and they look like complete poo poo). You can increase energy efficiency by other means such as storm panes, insulated curtains, etc. if you’d rather stick with the original windows.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Whatever path you take - 100 years old means it's almost certain lead based paint. Please take appropriate precautions.

I hadn’t even thought of that... Would lead affect a puppy’s brain development like humans? In humans lead mimics calcium which blocks absorption by the amygdala, essentially impairing development of emotional restraint. There might also be other lead poisoning impacts on pets too... definitely try to curb this behavior however you can

Queen Victorian posted:

I know lots of folks poo poo on old windows for being inefficient and old, but one thing they have going for them is that, unlike modern windows, they are easy to repair and can last for a very, very long time with halfway decent maintenance. And they look infinitely better in an older house than the vast majority of off-the-shelf replacement windows (source: my Victorian is full of vinyl replacement windows and they look like complete poo poo). You can increase energy efficiency by other means such as storm panes, insulated curtains, etc. if you’d rather stick with the original windows.

I dunno man, I really quite like my modern windows far more than the 120 year old windows which get stuck, have counterweights break, paint flake off and trim rot out. I can’t wait to ditch the last of them. Only bonus imho is the wavy glass does look neat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I hadn’t even thought of that... Would lead affect a puppy’s brain development like humans?

I assume so but ask your vet. Pupper certainly didn't get enough in that bite to cause any material harm. I would also ask about bittering spray.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

OSU_Matthew posted:

I dunno man, I really quite like my modern windows far more than the 120 year old windows which get stuck, have counterweights break, paint flake off and trim rot out. I can’t wait to ditch the last of them. Only bonus imho is the wavy glass does look neat.

Heh, I’m definitely biased the other way because the modern windows in my old house are low quality trash and sloppily installed, and some of them are more drafty and harder to operate than the old windows. Can’t wait to ditch them and replace with new old windows that fit correctly and look good.

When we bought the house, almost none of the remaining old windows worked because the idiot previous owner painted them shut and cut the cords and otherwise neglected them. We had them working again in a day (because they are repairable, unlike their modern counterparts). We have more restoration work to do (sand, repaint, reglaze), but I’d personally rather do that for $/DIY than spend $$$$ for replacements that’ll end up in a landfill in 10-20 years after the seal breaks and they fog up, requiring more $$$$ to replace the replacements and not ever get to the point where the replacement windows pay for themselves in energy savings due to them having a shelf life and not being designed for repairs. I’d just rather find energy savings and efficiency improvements elsewhere and more cheaply, like by adding/improving insulation.

PS: how do you break a counterweight? They are just hunks of iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
They are probably talking about the cords being cut.

Well fitted storm windows will give you efficiency almost equivalent to brand new vinyl windows. Although, they do mean you can't open the window for air in the winter and then in the spring you need to change them out for screens. I still probably wouldn't replace a whole house of windows if I could avoid it.