Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean if they kept it up and then everything after that happened i'd think it was one of the crummiest, cheapest moves you could ever possibly make

knowing what gou is, the scene had emotional impact for me that was immediately dampened by stuff that makes me extremely unsure of what the rest of this story is going to be like and whether it'll be able to justify that kind of stunt. because uh, if they can't write something that makes onidamashi work, that's gonna feel. kinda insulting to the entire emotional turn of the original story. lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Whether they're the big bad this time or not, I can't help feeling the original big bad would be someone who'd be extremely motivated to upend the whole thing if they had some insight into what was going on with the loops and ensuring Team Rika doesn't win again.

On a meta level, yeah, I really hope Ryushiki07 knows what he's doing by reopening this story and has exciting mysteries and reveals for us that will have satisfying emotional payoffs so this isn't just more content for the sake of more content. There's already a ton of post-main arc stories in various formats, some of which feel more essential than others, but given how this one is imitating the form of the original to the point that it was marketed as a remake, I think the stakes are higher if it ends up being lousy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1320549208772857856

Looks like Gou's getting a VN, or some kind of game? No, wait, it's just "new work" lol, just an announcement that it's a new thing officially, I guess. :downs:

Hogama fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That was just posted a little bit ago, and it's not night in Japan atm, right? So since it says tonight, maybe there actually is some other announcement coming and this was another pre-announcement? It could just be confirming this, but it wouldn't be totally surprising if a VN is also in the works given the amount of post-main story content Higurashi already has. That said, I feel like it would have to be considerably condensed relative to the original to avoid being super repetitive for hours and hours, so idk.

Edit: Looks like it was an unrelated announcement that Ryukishi's writing a new VN by Key, false alarm.

Back to the show (spoiler tagging since this has a more direct reference to the original work) I'm wondering if what we saw was orchestrated so Keiichi will now have bad loop memories to recall, where he was betrayed after trusting in his friend, as opposed to the memories he felt guilty about when he remembered killing his friends. Whether he remembers he wrongly trusted Rena because of Rika's advice or not, just remembering that he can't trust his friends completely ruins Rika's major strategy to win. Rika might even be afraid to try to intervene on behalf of her friends like that again if she doesn't trust that it'll lead to positive outcomes for them.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 26, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This might tie into why the the official channel just announced Gou as a new work, though.

Potential title spoilers: It looks like the show will change to Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Sotsu, probably in the second cour. Gou (業) can be read as "karma", Sotsu (卒) can be read as "mistake", but sotsugyou (卒業) can be read as "graduation".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As I continue my rewatch of the original series.....

yo the sonozakis suck major rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mion and shion rule, imo

i never liked how the anime adapted ch5 because the point of it is that you're supposed to feel bad for shion and they kinda cut out the entire scene that defines the story as less of a slasher horror and more of just. a sad tragedy. the final line in the vn where she's bleeding out on the sidewalk, barely conscious, apologizing to all the people she hurt and saying "I'm sorry for being born." stuck with me more than any of the parts of ch5 they actually decided to animte

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean more of the upper crust, since if they were less poo poo then Mion/Shion wouldn't have their moments.

On the other hand Shion did infiltrate a school and beat the poo poo out of an abused 11 year old, and thats a hard sell even with the full context.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the point of higurashi is that everyone is young, has horrible issues and no real ways to deal with them or keep them from compounding until they mentally snap because they are consistently failed by the people above them and have trouble opening up to work through things together

the ending of ch5 in the vn has shion reflecting on how her life could have been if she had taken care of satoko like satoshi asked her to, which is meant to be the moment that emotionally caps off chapter 5 and sets up the resolution for her arc in the end of the story where she finally actually does it and comes to actually love and care for satoko, genuinely. they cut that out of the anime and shifted it into the start of s2 so it completely loses that in the moment it needs it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

To be fair to Shion, she had some help from Hinamizawa Syndrome in becoming a monster. It's not like she just woke up deciding to be evil one day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I know, and thankfully my wife seems to be picking up that there's something making people lose their minds in town. But sheesh that scene is still rough.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think that was the single most gruesome part of reading the VNs for me, in what was probably the most gruesome installment in general, so I get it. Rika's death was super hosed up too, but her whole deal was still being kind of creepy at that point instead of being as sympathetic as Satoko, so it didn't hit quite as hard maybe?

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the anime also cuts out the bit in chapter 5 where they reveal that mion and shion swapped places as children, and technically shion is mion and vice versa which adds a whole extra layer to how hosed up shion's childhood was and why she's kind of an absolute emotional wreck

Sinteres posted:

I think that was the single most gruesome part of reading the VNs for me, in what was probably the most gruesome installment in general, so I get it. Rika's death was super hosed up too, but her whole deal was still being kind of creepy at that point instead of being as sympathetic as Satoko, so it didn't hit quite as hard maybe?

i think it's less that she's creepy and more that given the context of ch4, she already obviously knows how this all works anyway so to her it's probably not even that big of a deal. i kinda pieced out that it was a time loop by that point so i just thought like "ah she's just aborting this one now huh"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i think the anime also cuts out the bit in chapter 5 where they reveal that mion and shion swapped places as children, and technically shion is mion and vice versa which adds a whole extra layer to how hosed up shion's childhood was and why she's kind of an absolute emotional wreck

i think it's less that she's creepy and more that given the context of ch4, she already obviously knows how this all works anyway so to her it's probably not even that big of a deal. i kinda pieced out that it was a time loop by that point so i just thought like "ah she's just aborting this one now huh"
ch5 is weird in that it's basically a full retread of ch2; the content is different, since there's a long prologue and you follow Shion's perspective instead of Keiichi's, but the actual narrative seems identical, right down to specific events and conversations. I think Rika's death is the only thing that changes—and it makes sense that she'd peace out, given that she's experienced this exact same sequence of events before and had it end super poorly.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Colonel posted:

I always thought that the implication of that was that Shion thought that happened but it was just as likely to be a paranoid delusion as actually having happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

They don’t go into it, the closest they come is mentioning that they swap places a lot so you’re never really sure which one you’re seeing at any given moment.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GodFish posted:

I always thought that the implication of that was that Shion thought that happened but it was just as likely to be a paranoid delusion as actually having happened.

it's not something that's ever contradicted in the story, it would make sense to be something that happened given how they interact with each other, and it gives some further context to both of their behaviors, like why mion is generally more timid and apologetic, i personally don't think it's supposed to be a delusion. but yeah i guess whether it is one or not is kinda semantical to the moment itself symbolizing shion hitting her lowest point; ideally at that point, whoever is mion or shion shouldn't really matter to their own lives, it only matters because the whole family dichotomy's been scarred into her mind and she's pulling it out as one of the sources of her pain during a time where her soul is absolutely buried in a dark abyss of self-hatred

but yeah imo ch5 is the biggest failing of the original anime, it does a bad job really managing its tone and it cuts too much so it comes out feeling like an entirely different story, one more focused on the cruelty inflicted on other people rather than the cruelty she inflicts on herself and how it makes her lash out. ch5 is pretty much the core thesis of the darkest parts of higurashi, that it's just, entirely possible to push people into doing the things she does if you put them in a dark enough place with nobody to help them. that's why the ending in the vn goes for something much more gentle and sympathetic

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 27, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GodFish posted:

At least in the VN, there was a scene in the Sonozaki basement in 8 when they think they might never see each other again that confirms it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also the big reveal is between characters in a TIP who are, by all external accounts, unbiased narrators talking about it. There's no reason to doubt that it was in fact the case.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It began. Mion got the doll.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hold on to yer fuggin butts

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hogama posted:

It began. Mion got the doll.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Someone brought up the theory in an earlier post, and i do feel like the show is going with Rika giving good advice for every arc's problems, only for it to blow up and go horribly wrong, thus making Keiichi distrustful of his friends in future loops. And i guess Rika is gonna freak that her knowledge is actively making things worse or somethin. It does make me wonder if someone (maybe a witch) is actively sabotaging the game, or if it's just bad luck.

Not really sure how it's gonna get fixed, but i'd excited to see where it goes.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Also can someone confirm if only Mion and not Shion was listed during that episode's credits?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I hate having to wait each week for the next episode even though I've seen the OG anime, I just want to know what kind of stunt Ryukishi is gonna pull next

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

Also can someone confirm if only Mion and not Shion was listed during that episode's credits?

Confirming, but they're voiced by the same person, so only being credited once might not be a big deal.
I did notice a Sonozaki Yoshirou(?) though....who's that? The game shop owner?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah yoshiro the game shop owner is their uncle, mion mentions him

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As an aside interest, there's also an official manga adaptation of Gou, and Young Ace Up has been putting the chapters on their site (untranslated for now of course). Think the usual upload time is like half a day after a new episode broadcast (so like if the show airs at 10:30 AM EST the new chapter'll be at 10:30 PM EST). It just finished Onidamashi yesterday.

https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000147/episode/4727/
https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000147/episode/4728/
https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000147/episode/4729/

Most discrepencies are likely due to different media and people doing the work, but a few things stand out. Rika isn't watching at the dump on the equivalent of the first episode, Keiichi recalls more of Onikakushi at the door (like the ohagi), the bento boxes appear to be mostly empty and there's no focus on the clock time, Keiichi scratching his throat at the end is more explicitly breaking the skin, and Rika's scene with Hanyuu is placed after the whole thing - likely where Ryukishi had intended it - except she also explicitly comments on Onidamshi; she says that in over a hundred years, she'd never encountered a fragment like that, and she thought it was just Onikakushi again. Rest of the scene basically plays out the same, though she's also always in her usual clothes.

Just some food for thought. And as a fun bonus wild mass guessing post episode 4 into episode 5: the clock stopped at 20:24. John 20:24, from the NKJV: "Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hogama posted:

Just some food for thought. And as a fun bonus wild mass guessing post episode 4 into episode 5: the clock stopped at 20:24. John 20:24, from the NKJV: "Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came."

Nice catch whether that was a deliberate nod or not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Generally R07 oversees all adaptations and adds some changes here and there. Not sure if that's true of this concurrent manga adaptation though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So what are the odds of Mion and Shion being the same person in this timeline?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mulderman posted:

So what are the odds of Mion and Shion being the same person in this timeline?

Mion was the only member of the group (aside from Rika, who obviously is a special case) to stay sane in every arc, and in every world Rika lived through IIRC, so imo it would be a much bigger change than Keiichi and Rena just happening to (or being induced to) both be nuts at the same time, but it does seem like the most obvious way to subvert this arc. If that is the way it goes, I really hope there's a solid explanation for wtf went wrong when the answer arcs start coming out, and if it's just that Shion replaced Mion earlier in this world I don't think that would be very satisfying.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 31, 2020

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
For what its worth in the first arc, Mion seems to be paying more attention to Satoko than usual, so possibly is Shion? Demon Decieving arc could be 3 of the main arcs at once.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

“Mion” did seem awfully chill in the hospital scene too for someone describing how like three of her friends are now dead.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

“Mion” did seem awfully chill in the hospital scene too for someone describing how like three of her friends are now dead.

I saw the manga version and she was very sad there, maybe it's just an anime thing?

Here's some pages from the end of the Onidamashi manga: https://imgur.com/a/LrFHNFA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Will we ever get a full fledged spinoff of Detective Rena solving mysteries? I forgot how dang sharp she is in the original adaptation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i kinda wish the adaptations didn't cut out literally all internal monologue cause rena's is some of the most interesting for contextualizing how she looks at things and just how perceptive she is and also how easily that can be turned against her when people trick her and make her feel pushed into a corner

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

So I think I watched the first two seasons of Higurashi a decade ago, but I remember jack poo poo about it--I recognize a plot element in Gou here and there, but I'm mostly ???ing my way through what's going on.

Just for clarity (since I'm not spoiling myself by reading through the thread!), is this a reboot/remake of the original, or its own thing?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rhaka posted:

So I think I watched the first two seasons of Higurashi a decade ago, but I remember jack poo poo about it--I recognize a plot element in Gou here and there, but I'm mostly ???ing my way through what's going on.

Just for clarity (since I'm not spoiling myself by reading through the thread!), is this a reboot/remake of the original, or its own thing?

Own thing, more in line with a sequel than a remake.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Purest speculation going by the BD volume listings and what's already been shown is that the first three arcs will be twists on the original ones (this makes up the first cour), the fourth arc will be a set-up/explanation of what's been going on, and the final arc will be the long resolution.
Vol. 1: 1-4, Vol. 2: 5-8, Vol. 3: 9-13, Vol. 4: 14-17, Vol. 5: 18-24 (4, 4, 5, 4, 7 episodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Rhaka posted:

It's a sequel with a lot of recycled scenes from the original