Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pixelate posted:

But I think this citizen has truly solved it

But money doesn’t get debited from the fundraising total any other time they spend it so why in the world would that be the case now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pixelate posted:

But I think this citizen has truly solved it

Yes. Increasing costs definitely affect the gross revenue because that's exactly how accounting works. :cripes:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Xenosystems/status/1323227568846315520

This game is too real.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

But money doesn’t get debited from the fundraising total any other time they spend it so why in the world would that be the case now?

I thought I read that wrong at first, but yeah that really is his galaxy brained explanation. Why didn’t they deduct all of their other expenses from the tracker? Are CIG’s total expenses for 9 years just 2 million dollars then, and the other 300 million+ is just sitting in the bank?

I’m not an internet accountant, but I think the tracker should just show gross revenue.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 2, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
More green door trauma and delirious dysfunction

https://i.imgur.com/9hybES6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SM5AMQI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CuEistJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Ybpj0SH.mp4

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Taintrunner posted:

Star Citizen at this point is literally Space ARMA and hey even if you gotta go download a cheat menu, there's still an incredible amount of fun to be had loving around with ARMA 3 and the endless fountain of community mods and creations to discover, even if you're purely pissing around all on yhour own (go join the ARMA goons, seriously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaw7uEiw-l0

Seen a bunch of videos of ARMA and it always looks kinda cool, but I don't understand it fully - is it coop vs AI? If it's multiplayer, are the checkpoints/convoys/etc "roleplay" or is there some gameplay purpose?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jack the Lad posted:

Seen a bunch of videos of ARMA and it always looks kinda cool, but I don't understand it fully - is it coop vs AI? If it's multiplayer, are the checkpoints/convoys/etc "roleplay" or is there some gameplay purpose?

It's pretty much freeform based on how the scenario is set up. There's coop campaigns against the AI (ranging from authored to dynamic), there's team deathmatch, there's a war mode with base building, resources and unit purchasing, there's a mode called ZEUS where one player can effectively act as a DM for other players, spawning units on the fly and creating setups... there's a map called taki life that is just basically GTA/gmod loving around/rp. One of the most impressive games around owing to the ludicrous levels of content and mod authoring that have built up over the years, and it does have a lot in common with what Commandos say they enjoy about Star Citizen. Basically everything except Space. It's no accident Battle Royale came out of ARMA mods.

It's still got less of a death penalty than Star Citizen... In most game modes you can agent smith your way into an AI in your squad.

Ugh it is so DUMB they are sticking with this death of a spaceman bullshit. Wave your hands and let players respawn at medbays on medium ships. Bing bong so simple you can even keep the dumb ttk.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 2, 2020

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Jack the Lad posted:

ARMA is likely one of the most modded and customized games in existence so it's hard to give a definitive answer because it varies wildly. My personal experience was human vs. human scenarios.

A scenario is selected (which can be very complex, there's a lot of scripting available) and you set up the sides. It's generally very hierarchical where you can be anywhere from commanding a whole side to being a rifleman in a 4-man fireteam.
Comms will be restricted in a somewhat realistic way where you aren't going to be directly given instructions by the commanding officer if you're a private/corporal level rifleman.

At that point it's highly dependent on the scenario. Do you have helicopters, land vehicles, etc. Mostly there's a lot of travel, and if your squad is ambushed you are likely all going to be dead faster than you can tell that anything has even happened.
It's not unlikely that you'll spend 45+ minutes getting set up, starting the scenario, traveling, and then end up dead without ever even seeing an enemy.

It's really hard to describe what your experience will be because it will be quite different depending on the server and mods.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

NOTHING in Star Citizen is great or even remotely fun in any conceivable way.

Whoa now! Let's not jump to conclusions!

I happen to enjoy watching the short clips of people failing at some basic thing and usually something above and beyond expectations happening.

Pressing an elevator button- dying suddenly

Walking down a corridor- death by butt somehow

Laying in a bed- launched into space suddenly without your ship

Anything vehicular

Falling through the planet

People finally at the end of prison and falling down a bottomless pit

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

mdxi posted:

Why is the guy in the middle eating blanched almonds covered in BBQ sauce?

Well how else would you activate your almonds?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Although I agree with your post in large part, I think you're underestimating the practicality of multicrew repair play. Take Sea of Thieves- ships didnt have a hull value or anything that could be damaged, they could only suffer 'subsystem damage' - holes in the hull leaking water or the masts being destroyed or the crew being killed/knocked off the ship. Theoretically, that could map pretty well onto Star Citizen- larger ships may not suffer hull breakage, but would die from subsystem destruction that would be ameliorated by larger crews. Sea of Thieves didn't have 1 man fighters though, making this balance work is an order of magnitude more difficult and requires it being a #1 priority from day 1. We all know that's just a loving laugh in Star Citizen.

CR has built a game around where mashing a bunch of things and numbers and stats and functions together will dynamically generate a game from that. There's been little thought to actual gameplay and how things will tie together from a gameplay point. :shrug:

I don't see that as changing ever, so I imagine you'll still get an Idiris that has a crew requirement of like 80 players or something but there's not 80 jobs to do. It's just some arbitrary magic number pulled out of a hat to sound neato.

Like was indicted, people will find the most bang for the buck ships and abuse multi crew stuff if possible. If you can run from the engineering station to set something then run back to the navigation to have most of your super powerful weapons in a ship that's mostly indestructible because it's supposed to be run by 5 people, but you can do it alone and reap the benefit of it, you'll just get those 5 people in their own super powerful ship.

I'm pretty sure multi-crew, and many many other mechanics, have not been thought out by CIG even a little yet. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AndrewP posted:

This is like the guy's story from a few posts above. "A player will find a cool thing and sell me the information". Why would they not just Do The Cool Thing themselves?

just some seriously wishful thinking about how large this player base will be and how many people want to do boring things to support your awesome game experience

Depending on how CIG delivers the product, users wi either scrape the files for all the cool stuff and post to to a wiki immediately, or they will have to discover it then post it to a wiki immediately.

Unless you're one of the people playing it within that first month or less, your discoveries will all already be discovered, and there will be a line of ships blowing up people around places of interest. Assuming that at this point they get >50 people per server.

If it's still 50 people per server, you'll probably rarely run into another person anyway unless you coordinate it or the world is so small there's still not a handful of points of interest to visit.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

happyhippy posted:

I don't think it was an april fool's joke.
I remember seeing those clips, but I think I also remember some voice crowing about it.

Doing some digging I found this:

from https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/gi0kbixvyh05lr/source/Props_food_sneak_peek_comp.jpg (dont need to link it twice)

If I recall, this amazing technology came out around the time of Final Fantasy XV, where the food was amazingly detailed for some reason and served on licensed Coleman products.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Why do forks in the future have three prongs instead of four?

Artists trying to sneak in polygon saving where they can around the :trustme:.

But now that you mentioned it, silverware is now going to bring up your on screen polygon count up another 500k per fork to make that extra tine.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Those clips of completely bustedhigh fidelity physics are amazing, can't get enough of them. I love how SC has fidelitously recreated the real life experience of "this large object is shaking uncontrollably in front of me for no apparent reason. Am I about to die?" Excitement and consequences around every corner!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Lol it’s so loving cringe, like D-tier fan fiction.

Why is the election commissioner certifying/announcing the result on a live broadcast as the wining candidate just hangs out next to him?

Then there is the citizen’s role playing in the comments... :chloe:

Though more than a few are pissed that CIG didn’t post the vote totals.

:colbert:In before they say the stat came from a Reddit poll or the like.
The fact that there's no OFFICIAL numbers here doesn't bode well that they hadn't decided the outcome of this entire thing before anyone was even asked to cast a ballot. And to have this long to "compile the votes." If you aren't going to give any numerical data then why did you wait after the vote closed to announce the winner? You had so many days and this is what was generated?

Would you want to post results with like "8 people voted for this candidate".

I'm sure there's probably more than 8, but I'm also sure the number of participants is also hugely less than they want to share.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Yeah the eggs were a joke

"Were you entranced by the endless possibilities of 3D rendering an egg? Us too! (#AprilFools)"

But so is all their output, so it got a bit confusing

Now this is good. I actually didn't realize it was a joke. :)

It's funny that the stuff CIG talks about on the average is so crazy it's super hard to realize if they are serious or joking about anything. Especially some anal feature that may not come out for 10 years and five layers of technology advancement for computers and internet functionality.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

Would you want to post results with like "8 people voted for this candidate".

I'm sure there's probably more than 8, but I'm also sure the number of participants is also hugely less than they want to share.

Why would you think that? I'm sure that all 2 million actual, real Citizens participated in the election. After all, how could they have missed the single post on the main store page, or the single video? How could they not have been hyped to pick between 8 completely interchangeable names with policy positions that had nothing to do with the game that actually exists? I'm offended at the suggestion that a couple hundred people could, at most, possibly have given a poo poo about this critical election.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Why would you think that? I'm sure that all 2 million actual, real Citizens participated in the election. After all, how could they have missed the single post on the main store page, or the single video? How could they not have been hyped to pick between 8 completely interchangeable names with policy positions that had nothing to do with the game that actually exists? I'm offended at the suggestion that a couple hundred people could, at most, possibly have given a poo poo about this critical election.

Would you be surprised if included at the bottom of the ballot was a measure to absolve CR and expand the scope.

Don't you hate trying to decipher the downballot questions when the first time you see them is when you are voting? I mean, come on, I came to vote for President, not to try to weigh the pros and cons of increasing the number of citizen representatives on the Fish and Wildlife Board for 3 to 5 while eliminating the quorum requirement.

The people have spoken!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The absolute best part of this stupid lore election is the citizens talking about which candidate would bring new gameplay options lmao

quote:

Still tho. Why WOULD Addison win? Money on Synth worlds and AI research? Not gonna improve any gameplay for us like 3 other candidates. Only MAYBE create the GETH.

There's mad dudes on reddit speculating about how they're gonna get droids now and I just... I just can't understand how you could have made it this long and not learned that none of this has anything to do with what they will (or can) put in the game lmfao

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm waiting for CIG to say since the vote was so focused they are going to have to change the scope of the game to take into account this new leader. All the faithful now get to use this as "poll 2.0" to explain away the delays and changes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I would love to see a live interview with Chris Roberts a week from now where a backer asks him who won the election and what that means for Star Citizen, just to watch Chris try to remember the name of the candidate who won.

People are on Spectrum arguing about how this candidate will be the downfall of Star Citizen as if it will actually change anything beyond being an excuse for the next ship sale that was directed by the new President.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I would kind of expect backers to be livid at the idea that they were adding even more scope to this game instead of trying to finish the drat thing as it stands

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AndrewP posted:

I would kind of expect backers to be livid at the idea that they were adding even more scope to this game instead of trying to finish the drat thing as it stands

Why? They haven't been so far lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/0Tc8ewd.gifv

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I see that CIG put in mining 2.0

My bad it's been brought to my attention that I am wrong this is actually spy footage of the new game loop for all of the corpses that will start piling up thanks to persistence and the jpegs that will be sold to eager citizens.

My lil' Corpse Digger

$85 Warbond

Digs above its weight.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 2, 2020

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Death of a SpaceGame.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/UGUWx6Y.mp4

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

earthmoverpoker :3:

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2020

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Still faster than SC's development

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

its amazin how they do that without a roadmap...

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone think Star Citizen will eventually be considered a good game in 6-8 years? It sucks today, but what about then?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Starpluck posted:

Does anyone think Star Citizen will eventually be considered a good game in 6-8 years? It sucks today, but what about then?

no

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Starpluck posted:

It has to be a game before it can be a good game. Since it's failing spectacularly even as the model-viewer that it is, it's unlikely to suddenly make that quantum leap.

Plus, Chris Roberts = automatically bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only way Star Citizen could start to right the ship and become a fun game would be to break all promises and pre-purchases sold to backers already.

That would probably mean lawsuits. So no, it can't ever be a good game. Not in 20 years. Not in 200 years. The only way it could be a good game is ending it and starting a new game. That's it. The game has already sold different things to different people which contradict each other.

The game cannot be. It is a paradox.

CIG's technical inability to make an MMO is only ONE of the issues here.

The other issue is that Chris Roberts never had an actual design document at all, never a plan for ship combat or anything. It was just "I will make space game, give me money" and then "you want what? Sure, that'll be in there, just keep pledging"

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Can someone clarify if they're still using cryengine? It seems like bullshit that they did or are actually capable of switching game engines.

Is the story that they only said they switched to avoid lawsuit, but then were sued by crytek anyways because a switch clearly didn't happen? And Crytek dropped the suit because... they were paid off with the Calder investment money? :psypop:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

playground tough posted:

Can someone clarify if they're still using cryengine? It seems like bullshit that they did or are actually capable of switching game engines.

Yes. Cryengine 3.8, same as ever, but licensed through Amazon rather than CryTek.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Starpluck posted:

No. There was a certain time when Star Citizer reached a critical mass of Bad™.

I don't know for certain when that was, only that it happened.

There is no salvaging this turd.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Slow_Moe posted:

No. There was a certain time when Star Citizer reached a critical mass of Bad™.

I don't know for certain when that was, only that it happened.

There is no salvaging this turd.

There is also no salvaging in this turd.

They also reached critical mass of Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tippis posted:

Yes. Cryengine 3.8, same as ever, but licensed through Amazon rather than CryTek.

So is this like a Daikatana situation and they're going to release a game* based on extremely dated tech?

I watch Star Citizen clips and it looks okay but it doesn't wow me like the new Watch Dogs, for example.