Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

The fabric case I have is perfect cut...the rest (including the Spigen I also have) seem to be off, yeah.

I bought a Spigen on Amazon and it seems to fit pretty well. The hole for the fingerprint censor isn't 100% centered, but it doesn't disrupt functionality at all and you have to look real, real close to notice it. And I mean, how often are you even staring at the back of your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

Aw gently caress I have hundreds of SMS threads. Is there an app that will delete it all for me?

I called Google Support about my Unknown sender threads and they were stumped, and have escalated it to the developers. Not a good sign it'll be fixed anytime soon

The only other way I know of is to factory reset and decline to restore any backups.

Sab669 posted:

the fingerprint censor

The main reason I won't discuss my fingerprints, right here.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Homonyms are hard, OK :(

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'd definitely buy a pixel 5 pro. Passing on the reg 5.
:same: But I'm worried the price will be dumb.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I temporarily solved my text threading issue by switching to Textra, in case anyone is lurking w/ the same problem

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's the same Sony image sensor. We knew this. There is an additional ultrawide lens on the 5, but other than that we weren't expecting major photo upgrades. There are many other reasons to upgrade from the Pixel 2, and they've already been posted repeatedly in this thread (and I even replied directly to you with them).

you're right, and i apologize for being rude and ignoring your reply.

i think i'm just looking for a way to convince myself to try iOS again. i had a few generations of iphone before switching to the pixel 1 and then the 2. i've been waiting for them to really impress me again since then and it just isn't happening. sad because the 2 xl is one of my favorite phones ever.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mine has been crazy good except for YouTube Music that got all fucky and decided to keep the phone awake for 4 hours straight trying to make it's own little playlists for Smart Download. It got hung up on some song and kept trying over and over and over for 4 hours. I turned it off and things are fine now.

YouTube Music kind of sucks.

This just happened to me this morning. Charged it to 93% and unplugged it before I went to sleep. The notification was there, it was running for like 9 hours, and I was at 51% battery life. Now I'm wondering if YouTube Music has secretly been the reason my battery life has gone to ship in the past month and making me want to buy a new phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jigoku posted:

This just happened to me this morning. Charged it to 93% and unplugged it before I went to sleep. The notification was there, it was running for like 9 hours, and I was at 51% battery life. Now I'm wondering if YouTube Music has secretly been the reason my battery life has gone to ship in the past month and making me want to buy a new phone.

Honestly, it probably is.

I turned off Smart Downloads, put the P5 on the charger, then cleared the YTM cache and tried again. It works fine on my P4XL so I dunno. But it started to download a bit faster on the charger despite not having a setting for that? and didn't have anymore hiccups.

As much as I use YTM (literally every single day), it sucks. It sucks badly.

Pixel 5 and Pixel 4 XL got the November update today. The P5 is as room temp as can be, the P4XL is just being a little furnace. No idea what's up with that...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

As much as I use YTM (literally every single day), it sucks. It sucks badly.

It's the worst 😑 Newest gripe: if I shuffle a playlist, listen for awhile, stop listening for awhile, then go to resume, it'll almost always have obliterated the queue after the current song. It's the dumbest app.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just checked it again and I actually already had Smart Downloads off. I'm an album-listener, so I have a bunch of new albums downloaded. I then like the songs I want to keep in my library and delete the downloads once I've listened through and logged it in Notion.

For some reason, it was trying to download an old Eyedea & Abilities album over and over again. I notice that it does this "checking for incomplete album downloads" thing several times a day. I don't know why it would continuously delete and then redownload songs over and over again. It's definitely not a space issue.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

New phone day! It's neat how the Pixel 5 is a little bit smaller than my old Pixel 2, but the screen is still bigger. Giving gesture navigation a shot and it's not too bad so far. I love the Sorta Sage coloring but my wife hates it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My P5 just arrived too. The aluminum/resin body feels amazing, but I'm too paranoid to use it without a case.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CLAM DOWN posted:

My P5 just arrived too. The aluminum/resin body feels amazing, but I'm too paranoid to use it without a case.

This has always been a trouble point for me: all these phones making such an effort to be super thin, have great hand feel, etc., and then I feel that I need to slap them in a case so they won't shatter the first time I drop it or it slips out of my pocket. So much engineering and testing for something that I'll experience for roughly 30 seconds, ever.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I found the P4a without a (thin) case was a little tough to use, like holding it comfortably without having my palm/fingers hitting the sides of the display wasn't trivial. Dunno if that's something wrong with me, hah. But a little extra and raised bezel from a thin minimal case makes it much more pleasant for me.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Eh, it feels nice without a case but I'm finding I prefer the fabric case. Really satisfying feel of the power button and really grippy. Bit of a surprise because I really really loved the 2xl without a case but somehow the 5 doesn't feel significantly thicker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wide angle lens owns, screen is amazing. It's much small than my previous XL pixels and will take some adjustment. I don't have the screen gap issue. Speakers sound fine, I have no expectations for a phone and use earbuds/headphones all the time like a normie.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just ran into some trouble getting it to sync up with my Fossil watch. I factory reset the watch, selected language and accepted T&C, started the Wear app on the phone, selected the watch, allowed the bluetooth pairing, and now the watch says "[six digit number] Pixel 5 would like to connect" while the phone is stalled on "Getting your watch details. This may take a few minutes" with an animation and a progress bar that made it to about 1/6 and has been stuck there for about a half hour. Probably a watch problem rather than a phone problem, but still annoying.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It took a few tries for my Garmin watch to connect to my 5, so it may be Android Bluetooth stack yet again.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wide angle lens owns, screen is amazing. It's much small than my previous XL pixels and will take some adjustment. I don't have the screen gap issue. Speakers sound fine, I have no expectations for a phone and use earbuds/headphones all the time like a normie.

Do you find differences in the volume between top and bottom speakers? My top speaker is super loud compared to the bottom one.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Vasler posted:

Do you find differences in the volume between top and bottom speakers? My top speaker is super loud compared to the bottom one.

If anything mine is the opposite, if I hold the bottom speakers aimed at me I find it's definitely louder. Someone mentioned specific game sounds come out loud so it may be related to what is being played. I mostly listen to podcasts so it's all human voices.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been gone since about 1pm, it's 5pm and I only lost 5% battery while using Bluetooth and crappy Wifi.

What is this phone.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm actually going with a case on my 5 only because without it my grubby fingers press the nav buttons constantly. The bevel is too small for my monster hands.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

I'm actually going with a case on my 5 only because without it my grubby fingers press the nav buttons constantly. The bevel is too small for my monster hands.

I'm too clumsy to not have a case of some sort... I really love the back of the phone and it's actually grippier than the fabric case but...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

had my caseless pixel 2 xl for ~3 years now and dropped it many times from hip height onto the ground (wood floors at home, concrete outside, etc). the screen never cracked or shatter until the most recent drop a few months back and at least over half a dozen previous drops. consider me firmly in the caseless camp appreciating the natural design of the phone

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vasler posted:

Yes, but it's opposite of what you're saying - my bottom is way louder than the top.

Also I just stared at my P5 for a minute waiting for the face unlock to work, goddammit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, but it's opposite of what you're saying - my bottom is way louder than the top.

No need to brag about your sex life.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also I just stared at my P5 for a minute waiting for the face unlock to work, goddammit.

I've been doing this since I got it. lol

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thanks for making me choke on my water. haha

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I was browsing SA on the computer, like I usually do with my Pixel 3a on the desk. Everything was fine, the phone was charged as far as I could tell, nothing out of the ordinary. Yet, for some very very weird reason, rebooted and now it doesn't seem to be able to come back. I'm looking at the white screen with Google's logo and ... that's that. It's just a year and a half old phone, wtf? It has Android 11 now, if software is the issue.

edit: After I forcefully reset it, it came back alive. For now at least. Sigh, after the Nexus 5x boot-loop experience, this poo poo gives me the shivers, even if it's just a software bug.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 3, 2020

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, my Pixel 4a seemed to bootloop after restarting for the November patch, sent me into a cold sweat. Luckily, it opened the app drawer for some reason and I was able to force a restart and that seemed to fix it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lmao

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Latest Pixel "scandal"

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_5s_chipset_is_actually_even_slower_than_we_initially_thought-news-46081.php

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yet XDA found it consistently outperformed the OnePlus Nord in their review and traded blows with the S20.

I mean, it's not like those Chinese phones in that GSM arena comparison have ever been caught cheating at benchmarking apps before.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 3, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol that's not a scandal. Benchmarks are worthless.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards so I bought a Sage Pixel 5 and it's coming in a couple of days.

I was pretty sure I was going to end up going for the S20 FE since it's already $100 off, but I have a Tab S7 and while I love it, I just know that I'm going to hate having all the ~Samsung Stuff~ that I'll never use on my phone.

It looks like there are a bunch of camera hump screen protectors now. 95% of them have a cutout for the flash but not the mic. Wouldn't that be a problem?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I should mention too, my Pixel 5 does not have a screen gap. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of, is the phone call earpiece. I often use bluetooth for calls so not a big deal, but it's definitely just....weird. Kinda tinny? Hard to describe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mine has no screen gap either. The system sounds are pretty loud though...but I like it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

had my caseless pixel 2 xl for ~3 years now and dropped it many times from hip height onto the ground (wood floors at home, concrete outside, etc). the screen never cracked or shatter until the most recent drop a few months back and at least over half a dozen previous drops. consider me firmly in the caseless camp appreciating the natural design of the phone

I was firmly in the caseless camp but then I dropped my P3 face-down flat onto the concrete and the screen got decimated so now I have one on my P5 :(

And I feel like I'm in the minority but I leave my phone on Do Not Disturb 99.99% of the time and the only time I listen to music or a podcast it's connected to some bluetooth device (car, portable speaker, headphones) so I couldn't even tell you what the sound quality is like :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
No screen gap either, here!

The top speaker is... percussive? It sounds/feels like playing very accented notes on a brass instrument, the kind of notes I'd use a t-tongue, not a d-tongue, for. The kind of articulation where I feel that teensy bit of vibration before the note sounds.

Also going from P3 to P5, so many apps and settings got transferred over seamlessly that I didn't bother checking everything right after I set it up. I've been running into the occasional "wait what's my password?" and "why is this app making sounds" etc for the stragglers. So close to getting a seamless set up!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I know everyone's been waiting for my opinion on the Pixel 5 power button and guys...GUYS! They finally did it! The power button rocks. Clicky, no wobble, happy with it for the first time on a Pixel.

Looking forward to buying a 1000€ P5 Pro (or whatever they'll call and price it) in a couple of months only to be disappointed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I should mention too, my Pixel 5 does not have a screen gap. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of, is the phone call earpiece. I often use bluetooth for calls so not a big deal, but it's definitely just....weird. Kinda tinny? Hard to describe.

I'd describe is as complete poo poo and the only (yet glaring) flaw on a great phone.