Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
aka the only way I'm getting rid of mine. I'm actually thinking of having it stipulated that it all be donated to the local gently used toys for kids type charities after I die (my family will still get everything else). I have no kids of my own, so why not potentially inspire someone's lifelong love of Lego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In death we must LEGO of earthly things

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Duvel posted:

I picked up skull island (7279) from a woman getting rid of her son's stuff. It's still in the box and only built once. She also has android base (6958) same condition I'm pretty sure I'm going back for.

I'm not into trains but she has 10014, 15 etc My own trains used in boxes. Is there anyone looking for those?

Train guy here, I actually bought some tracks from another poster in this thread earlier this year :)

Would definitely be interested in hearing more about what all you picked up! I believe I have 10014 in my collection, but not 10015 for starters

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Train guy here, I actually bought some tracks from another poster in this thread earlier this year :)

Would definitely be interested in hearing more about what all you picked up! I believe I have 10014 in my collection, but not 10015 for starters

There were like all 5 of those? In the series she has. Another train which is a different set and a tub full of tracks

There was also bags of phantom menace sets. Random city sets. Some star wars buildable figures in boxes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Did you end up setting those up with anything?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Duvel posted:

There were like all 5 of those? In the series she has. Another train which is a different set and a tub full of tracks

There was also bags of phantom menace sets. Random city sets. Some star wars buildable figures in boxes

If you're going back, I'd be interested in the Star Wars stuff

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Cloks posted:

If you're going back, I'd be interested in the Star Wars stuff

If you guys want to PM me I can send you a list of what I can see in the pictures. Not sure on prices of everything but she wants cash only.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Thinking back fondly on my wise parents who agreed that Lego was not to be brought into the sandbox, but Mega Bloks were okay to do so :v:

I had the MB #9501 Blok Blaster rocketship and a big racing set. Is there a Bricklink/Brickset type resource that lists a view of every set they've made?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Captain Duvel posted:

If you guys want to PM me I can send you a list of what I can see in the pictures. Not sure on prices of everything but she wants cash only.

Messaged.

My partner and I took a mini vacation to a cabin Airbnb. We both work at home now and wanted to get away from the house for a bit. Also disconnect from the internet. We brought along the bank modular which is the fifth modular I have built; first four are cafe corner, market street, green grocer, and assembly square. Absolutely amazing. Love the money laundering story of the set. The chandelier is unreal. The building facade is to die for. Didn’t care so much for the play features in place as it’s a display piece, but it’s fine. At this point assembly square is the best modular I’ve built, but all of them have been a treat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth posted:

Messaged.

My partner and I took a mini vacation to a cabin Airbnb. We both work at home now and wanted to get away from the house for a bit. Also disconnect from the internet. We brought along the bank modular which is the fifth modular I have built; first four are cafe corner, market street, green grocer, and assembly square. Absolutely amazing. Love the money laundering story of the set. The chandelier is unreal. The building facade is to die for. Didn’t care so much for the play features in place as it’s a display piece, but it’s fine. At this point assembly square is the best modular I’ve built, but all of them have been a treat.

Market Street was a treat? Really?

Really?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really looking forward to Assembly Square. I've built Downtown Diner and am on bag 5 of Corner Garage.

I'm half tempted to wait till I get the Bookstore or something and save Assembly for last since it sort of seems like the ultimate modular. :v:

e: Neat thing that I noticed, modular seem to consistently release in the order of 1 corner, then 2 straight sections.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 3, 2020

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thinking back fondly on my wise parents who agreed that Lego was not to be brought into the sandbox, but Mega Bloks were okay to do so :v:

I had the MB #9501 Blok Blaster rocketship and a big racing set. Is there a Bricklink/Brickset type resource that lists a view of every set they've made?

Not really, partially because people keep looking down on Mega! :argh: Aside from a few outdated wikis, asking on FB groups about Mega is kind of the only option for knowledge. Okay I'll shut up all glory to our Lego overlords

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Zefiel posted:

Not really, partially because people keep looking down on Mega! :argh: Aside from a few outdated wikis, asking on FB groups about Mega is kind of the only option for knowledge. Okay I'll shut up all glory to our Lego overlords

Because they were poo poo quality and were blatantly ripping off the greatest toy of all time. Are you seriously defending them? lol

Edit: when I pick mega blocks out of Lego piles I feel guilty donating them to thrift stores because some grandma is going to give a kid a real bad day so often just trash them

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 3, 2020

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Sloppy posted:

Because they were poo poo quality and were blatantly ripping off the greatest toy of all time. Are you seriously defending them? lol

Edit: when I pick mega blocks out of Lego piles I feel guilty donating them to thrift stores because some grandma is going to give a kid a real bad day so often just trash them

I have a ziploc bag full of Tyco blocks from the 80s that I've sorted out of mixed Lego, which are pretty good quality but have a different plate thickness from Lego. Always meant to put them on ebay or something, surely someone out there has Tyco blocks and would like some more?

Mega has always been hit or miss, their Pro Builder stuff from the early 2000s is really nice, but by the time of the early Halo sets (e.g. Halo Wars around 2010?) they no longer had any grip strength and didn't feel as nice. Haven't messed with any newer ones.

I used to not be a 'purist' but I've kind of become one over time. I still have one Mega Gundam though.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Sloppy posted:

Jeez, can't you put them away in a coffee can and when it's full send it to me? those poor bloks

And yeah I'm seriously defending them, Lego is Lego, sure, but these guys rose out of Canada applying the same dodgy borrowing concept Lego themselves did (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFELcl75CiY ) so yeah they started 'stealing' but can you steal something that's been stolen? I know people feel very strongly about this so I won't debate it much more, I will just say that yeah, Mega quality sucked before, they've been struggling with it always, but they've also worked and actually improved their product, click the ? near my avatar, I've stated it in this thread a few times so I won't bother repeating myself.

Over here a dollar buys you what you can probably get in the US for fifty cents or less, so you can imagine how savage Lego prices are here. Mega has offered a more affordable alternative to Lego here for a while, has not shied away from 'adult themes' (i.e. war) in their sets, and they've been reshaping their offerings in a way that now they are more a real alternative rather than a copy, and this is something I've gone in detail in this thread before, albeit it is just my opinion, but I feel Lego has this approach in where they will take an item or car or whatever and 'adapt' it as close as possible to the shape of current lego pieces, and if it ends up looking slightly different or iffy then that just adds to the charm, because most of the time you CAN right away tell it's made from Legos and be impressed by that fact alone. Now Mega in their more 'adult' offerings strives for realism, so you get cars or helicopters or whatever that strive to look really close to the in-universe model as they can, so making new molds or parts or whatever is not out of question and their things look more like small scale models, but they're still made of blocks and you can customize them as much as you could any old Lego set. I feel you can see this difference in 'philosophy' in each brand's figures too, Lego will adapt your character to their own style, sort of like what Funko pop does, but with more care for the detail of course. And people like this and look for this, that's fine. Mega struggled a lot with making their own figures but I think that sticking to their idea of calling their own 'micro-action-figures' helps, as that's really what they are now, tiny GI-joes, but a little more articulated, even.

Ok, nice meltdown, whatever, yeah. The idea of making a Mega/Construx thread been floated before, but I feel it wouldn't gather enough support in the get go and Mods would not see the need for two different 'brick' threads, but I'm no expert, I just would prefer if Mega chat were tolerated here now and then.

EDIT: tried to make my stupid paragraphs a tiny bit more readable

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mega seems like Toyota and people are still in a "that cheap Japanese crap?" mindset from 60 years ago when they've put in the work to make a good product.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Slagging Mega for being a rip-off is a bit silly, but I can't blame people for being biased based on experiences growing up. There's something to said about cheaper alternatives given lego has always carried a bit of a premium price.

The modern stuff is much better and deserves some acknowledgement for that, but it also doesn't really feel like it has the advantage of being cheaper anymore.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cojawfee posted:

Mega seems like Toyota and people are still in a "that cheap Japanese crap?" mindset from 60 years ago when they've put in the work to make a good product.

Hyundai would be a better analogy.

Also a lot of my ire comes from having to tediously pick them out of bulk lots because nobody else wants them either.

On the mega blocks plus side, my greatest Lego score of all time was an auction that had a pile of mega blocks as the thumbnail so nobody bid on it, not realizing the other half of the auction was 8 or 9 Classic Space sets in like-new condition, including several of the bases. $14, baby.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Have 15,000 studs laying around and hate having finger tips?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
LEGO = Nintendo
Mega Bloks = Sega

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mega does what Legon't

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Some of the older lego-like bricks aren't great and probably should be trashed or recycled but the newer stuff is okay from what I've seen.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There's Bricker - http://bricker.info/osets.html?brand=MEGABLOKS&page=1
or may be listed on the Bloks forum - https://bloksforum.freeforums.net/board/6/mega-construx-set-listings

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Thank you! This is the one I had: http://bricker.info/osets/MEGABLOKS/9801/- I'm still picking pieces of this out of my main collection.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Market Street was a treat? Really?

Really?

Yes, it was and is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thank you! This is the one I had: http://bricker.info/osets/MEGABLOKS/9801/- I'm still picking pieces of this out of my main collection.

I had that one too! My mom got it for me as a Christmas gift one year. I think it was the sole source of my mega blocks, but there was some neat unique pieces, along with the motorized bases for the cars which were actually pretty good for building my own cars that would smash into walls and break into bits.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of modulars... I have like 4.

In a move that shocked everyone, my wife suggested we bring them into the social/public rooms and “Christmas-ize “ them.

Other than conical pine trees, does anyone have suggestions (or links/resources) on how I might go about that?

Snow build up? (White obvs)

Mini fig Santa

Tiny decorations.

Etc?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

LEGO = Nintendo
Mega Bloks = Sega

This is the best analogy.

I don't even think Mega has that bad of quality as far as their bricks go (although it's noticeably not as good as Lego imo) but there's something about Lego's design philosophy that manages to really tap into my adult nerd brain that mega doesn't manage to do. Like, if I was 10 I would find a lot of mega sets really appealing I think, some of it more so than Lego even because they really go for the video game/military stuff more. As an adult it has zero appeal to me though. Where as Lego does, regardless of if it should or not lol.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

They’re usually big enough you can hide A string of led lights in/around/behind them to taste.

We did that on the tower bridge one year. Might want to do it again this year now that it’s in our hutch. Thanks for mentioning it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe some Christmas lights like the elf club house has?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Jumping on the knockoff bricks talk, found a bucket of Sears Roebuck bricks that are in decent shape for being straight out of the 70s. Somewhere I found their little booklet that had some examples but I've misplaced it for now. This image shows a bit more variety but only because I used a load of the regular shaped ones in a project. 2x4 and 2x2 are the bulk of the bricks, 1x4 and 1x2 are the next biggest group, then various plates and some weird slopes and even some gears. There's even most of an armless little dude in there. Car frames. Not a lot of color variety. Red and white by far the most. Blue 2x4s have notches for the gear axle. Very few black, some clear. They do not fit compatible with LEGO

Click for biggers

One thing I did a while back was build a little desk name plate with both kids names on either side, mostly a busy work project when i was working at home lol

Current project is using them to build a stand for my phone for when I do Zoom calls, to keep it at a good height. no pics of this but its really just a weird patterend pyramid with some grooves at the top

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Looks like the Nebulon-B set should be dropping sometime soon on Amazon, according to Bricklink. It's not functional yet, but this link should take you directly to the product page when it goes live.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wonder what's gonna be the deal for Canada since US Amazon is usually not 1:1 on products and I dont think there's a similar like "lego page" that has the nebulon advert.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 3, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxyclean posted:

Wonder what's gonna be the deal for Canada since US Amazon is usually not 1:1 on products and I dont think there's a similar like "lego page" that has the nebulon advert.

Probably will be sold at Canadian comic-con.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Here we go, the third and (currently) final Western building! It's a trading post!

Like the others, this one is highly modular. The roof comes off, the second floor comes off, and the back walls slide easily out of place.

Details!

There are two neat features here, too. First, that barn-looking door on the first floor is a functional sliding door that opens to the storage room.

Second, the windmill has some functions! It can rotate freely, the vane can turn 90 degrees to act as a brake, and there's a cam so that when the blades spin, it simulates pumping water at the base.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Submit it all as a western town center or something.

God drat!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Flawless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My god is there a positive affirming way to say go gently caress yourself because seriously

I want these sets, but I want myself to be a child again when I build them

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah so i want to play with your cowboy town so bad it hurts me inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Your talent makes me ill with envy.