Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
The "participate in 31 consecutive dailys" thing is the most stupid loving thing that ever stupidly hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Randomed The Lost today. I D4'd into Dark Judas, then kept rolling with the D4. At one point I rerolled into a run that must have been Soy Milk + Ipecac + Marked plus some kind of scatter shot, and I only survived by running back to the shop and buying a battery, slamming the space bar just before I died.

Tofu Injection posted:

The "participate in 31 consecutive dailys" thing is the most stupid loving thing that ever stupidly hosed.

That was patched years ago, wasn't it? You don't need to do them in a row, just do 31 total. Maybe it was an expansion pack you don't have.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

You can just die in the first room to be fair. I remember that being annoying, but I got into the habit of starting it up and dying ASAP just to get the progress.

LifeLynx posted:

That was patched years ago, wasn't it? You don't need to do them in a row, just do 31 total. Maybe it was an expansion pack you don't have.
Think it was only patched on PC. On Switch at least it's still 31.

Managed to get all marks for all characters except Keeper. I haven't even done a run with him yet. Still trying to will myself to do it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Found a nice busted synergy today, flat penny + key bum + humbling bundle. Not exactly infinite, but if you get a chest drop it can turn into 30 chests drops pretty easily.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Speaking of Humbling Bundle, I had a run recently where I was playing as Samson, trying to finish out his post-it. I was inflicted with Curse of the Blind and decided to buy an item in the shop just for the hell of it, which was The Jar. I had never used it before and was pretty disappointed that it was just extra heart storage and you could only carry 4 hearts. Sorta helpful, but overall a waste of an item slot. Never got replaced as every item room ended up being passive items after that. Then three floors later I got Curse of the Blind again and blind purchased Humbling Bundle.

That was a fun surprise to come across that infinite life synergy after accidentally using the item trigger instead of a bomb and seeing 4 double hearts pop out of it. Thankfully I wasn't playing as Blue Baby or The Lost or Azazel/Eden with no red heart containers. I took that run all the way to Delirium and finished it off. It's really interesting to come across some seriously broken synergies still when I thought I had just about seen them all

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh yeah, The Jar can be absolutely nuts if you know how to use it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
You can dump the hearts out in a black heart super secret room and they'll all be black too.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

You can dump the hearts out in a black heart super secret room and they'll all be black too.

The what, now?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The what, now?

the super secret rooms (closer to the boss room, only ever share 1 wall with the main map) sometimes will use Dark Room textures and have a single black heart.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The super secret rooms with a black heart (dark room style), several red hearts (womb) or an eternal heart (cathedral) will transform all heart drops into the respective rooms heart type.

The sheol room with 3 black hearts and 2 globby head guys does not transform heart drops and I don't think there's any room to force soul hearts to spawn..

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I found the most tedious break for my final greedier mark on my second save file (azazel). Mom's Box + Swallowed Penny + Steam Sale. Hope you like running into fireplaces. It would actually work without steam sale, but at like 1/3 the pace. Did you know the gold item room in greedier can be steam sale? I think this is the first time I've ever seen it.

Kifisonfire posted:

You can just die in the first room to be fair. I remember that being annoying, but I got into the habit of starting it up and dying ASAP just to get the progress.

Think it was only patched on PC. On Switch at least it's still 31.

Managed to get all marks for all characters except Keeper. I haven't even done a run with him yet. Still trying to will myself to do it.

Doesn't have to be consecutive on switch. I wasn't counting how many runs it took me but 31 felt about right.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2020

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Why is Keeper complete dogshit? I've had better luck killing Delirium with The Lost than finishing one run with Keeper.

He should at least start with Swallowed Penny, because even with that item the coin will sometimes drop 4 loving meters from you and you're dead anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Why is Keeper complete dogshit? I've had better luck killing Delirium with The Lost than finishing one run with Keeper.

He should at least start with Swallowed Penny, because even with that item the coin will sometimes drop 4 loving meters from you and you're dead anyway.

He's good in greed mode! But yeah it's dumb, I like how they made him slow just to add insult to injury. Go through the cathedral on your first successful run, getting the wooden nickel on him makes him a lot stronger (still the weakest character tho).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

Devil deals are very powerful, and he can't take them.

The only way I ever get good runs with him is getting lucky and having health up items drop from the boss so I can actually take a devil deal and then recover the 2nd coin from the health up.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

The Moon Monster posted:

He's good in greed mode! But yeah it's dumb, I like how they made him slow just to add insult to injury. Go through the cathedral on your first successful run, getting the wooden nickel on him makes him a lot stronger (still the weakest character tho).

I almost had the perfect run with him yesterday until I opened a red chest, pre-dodged to get far from possible spiders and I still died to them because he's so ridiculously slow it's stupid. I haven't completed one run with Keeper yet. I unlocked nearly everything with the Lost in 3-4 days for comparison.

The thing is the Lost is fragile too but he starts with excellent mobility and accumulates resources and damage items quickly. Once you find some protection, you're set.

Keeper needs everything. Speed, tears up, damage, AND protection. To add insult to injury, his coin hearts are considered hearts only when the rule can gently caress you over (i.e. losing one lowers devil room chance) but never when it would help you (no health up for him other than greed's gullet).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

It's insane how little is needed to make the Keeper better. The ability to get more than 2 hp without greeds gullet, more than -2 luck, more than 0.85 speed, unlocking piggy bank or head of the keeper as a starting item, not losing devil/angel deal chance by getting hit. Any one of these changes would improve him so goddamn much

I hope Repentance reworks him into a fun playable character, like Afterbirth did for the Lost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks like greed and greedier modes are selected like the difficulty--does that mean i could unlock all completion marks by just starting out on greedier?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yup, that’s how I did it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's insane how little is needed to make the Keeper better. The ability to get more than 2 hp without greeds gullet, more than -2 luck, more than 0.85 speed, unlocking piggy bank or head of the keeper as a starting item, not losing devil/angel deal chance by getting hit. Any one of these changes would improve him so goddamn much

I hope Repentance reworks him into a fun playable character, like Afterbirth did for the Lost

Tears up as well. One of the biggest problems is a lack of dps because of the huge tears down triple shot gets.

It's extremely weird they had a fairly interesting idea for a character who can only heal with coins and then nerfed him to complete poo poo. Why not just have a character that you can play weird?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Tears up as well. One of the biggest problems is a lack of dps because of the huge tears down triple shot gets.

It's extremely weird they had a fairly interesting idea for a character who can only heal with coins and then nerfed him to complete poo poo. Why not just have a character that you can play weird?

LMAO I just found out you can actually die when exploiting swallowed penny on a bonfire. If the penny falls right in the middle of the fire (which of course it will) you're hosed unless you have others around.

Man this character is utter bullshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just got my final completion mark on my second file, boss rush with keeper. I had found a speed down pill so my speed was 0.73. I picked up up a second triple shot right before going in because I thought it was evil eye, so my tears rate was goddamn 46. My 2 saving graces were I had eye of greed which meant there were a decent number of coins on the ground, and more importantly an I'm drowsy pill, so it was battle of the slowpokes. I think it literally took me something like 20 minutes. Sticky nickels unlocked :thumbsup:

That's another lousy thing about keeper, his unlocks largely suck poo poo.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I like Keeper similarly to how I like playing Spelunky 2. I've become almost like a cenobite in my videogaming old age.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

That's another lousy thing about keeper, his unlocks largely suck poo poo.

The fact that a number of his unlocks are to slowly raise his bullshit level from "absolute poo poo" to "just barely tolerable maybe" is the worst part. And of course oh boy now he starts with a single penny! Not on the ground or anything where it could act as a free heal if need be, in his inventory. :troll:

For bonus points Greed's Gullet is also janky as hell so even if you do use it to give him some extra health expect to get screwed over by one of its many dumb interactions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had a weird one today where I was in the Chest and Forever Alone just kept spawning. Not as a reward from a chest after clearing a room, but just on a pedestal in random parts of rooms.

I got 3 in the end. I have no idea what caused it. Don't see anyone online describing anything like it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Super Envy can drop Forever Alone so I'm guessing you got weirdly lucky and multiple all dropped it.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Just had a rare good run with Keeper. 9 Volt was handy with the wooden nickel, ended up with Eve's Mascara, Holy Light, Epiphora and Soy Milk. That got me through Satan, The Lamb, Mega Satan and Delirium.

Only Greedier and Hush to go and I'm done with this stupid character.

Kifisonfire fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 1, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Super Envy can drop Forever Alone so I'm guessing you got weirdly lucky and multiple all dropped it.

That must be it. There were a lot of super envies

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just figured out a new combo that can guarantee a win as long as you have at least 2 hp and don't mind extreme tedium. 9-volt + glowing hourglass + nun's habit. I can't imagine I would have actually bothered if I wasn't using it for Ultra Hard.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

I just figured out a new combo that can guarantee a win as long as you have at least 2 hp and don't mind extreme tedium. 9-volt + glowing hourglass + nun's habit. I can't imagine I would have actually bothered if I wasn't using it for Ultra Hard.

Doesn't glowing hourglass just turn into a normal hourglass after 3 uses?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

Doesn't glowing hourglass just turn into a normal hourglass after 3 uses?

Is it supposed to? It didn't for me on switch. I didn't count how many times I used it but it was definitely a lot more than 3.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

Is it supposed to? It didn't for me on switch. I didn't count how many times I used it but it was definitely a lot more than 3.

I guess that got reverted a few years ago. It used to reset after 5 (not 3) apparently but hasn’t done so for some time now. Sounds like I need to try it out again to see how it can be abused now!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sad after reading that my favorite OP item, the stopwatch, is nerfed in AB

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sad after reading that my favorite OP item, the stopwatch, is nerfed in AB

Even post-nerf it is still one of the most powerful items in the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's 2020, what's the easiest way to cheat Marathon/Dedication? Still just hex editing a save file?

(I don't want to use the alt-f2 sync because I'm playing my second save file so I don't want to insta-unlock everything from my 100% file's 403/403 steam achievements)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I completed Keeper's marks by installing one of the mods that makes him actually fun because screw playing that dogshit character. Thank goodness the next character was The Forgotten, who rules.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

I completed Keeper's marks by installing one of the mods that makes him actually fun because screw playing that dogshit character. Thank goodness the next character was The Forgotten, who rules.
Which mod did you use? I can't be hosed with Hush after dying to him a few times.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Literally all they'd need to do to fix The Keeper is remove the 2 coin health limit. Start him with two, but allow red heart plus effects to add additional coin containers. Then have a transformation similar to The Forgotten in order to fill his containers straight from your currently held money. It would add more of a risk-reward strategy - I've got six empty coin containers and I'm two hits from death, but I've only got 18 cents and there's an item I really want in this shop. Do I buy it or dump the money into my health for the boss?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's a shame because the coin health gimmick has potential but everything else about Keeper is no fun allowed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Keeper is a challenge character (at least outside of Greed Mode) and that's OK. Way less bad than the original version of The Lost

e: with that said I think I ended up breaking the game in some way with Keeper a pretty high percentage of the time. There are a bunch of shop items and trinkets he can go off with

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

This game is so loving dumb sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/9NPWfC0.mp4

Keeper with Swallowed Penny, Ipecac, Haemolacria, Magic Mush and Tech X was broken enough. Then I get to Hush and find Prop and Nails. Almost felt guilty killing Hush.