Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Disco Elysium is a game about going all in on physical skills so you can flying spin-kick racists in the face and utter the words of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m about to do that thing where I have 3 consecutive games running, each with a different build.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Saint Freak posted:

Disco Elysium is a game about going all in on physical skills so you can flying spin-kick racists in the face and utter the words of power.

That was a 3% chance for me on my psych build that I nailed. Felt like a god haha

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I did Psy/Int build but savescummed it because spinkicking racists is worth it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I shot down the body with like a 9% chance, I was astounded. I just wanted to fire the gun for fun.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I want to make Rustin Cohle ala True Detective. The problem is he would basically have great stats in everything?

Maybe I could just make one that's all Savoire Faire and a little psych and physical? I just feel like doing the non Int/Psyche stats will mean a lot less dialogue, and that's the fun part.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I shot down the body with like a 9% chance, I was astounded. I just wanted to fire the gun for fun.

If you fail that one after Kim shoots first you say “Kim, I think there’s something wrong with your gun.”

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm after the Tribunal, right before going to the island. I still have two quests that involve Cindy the Skull (Armor gloves & Paintbrush for the wall). Can I still find her at this point in the game? She's not in her usual spot. The quests are still active, unlike 1-2 that actually got crossed out, moved to the completed section, and annotated as no longer doable after The Tribunal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I believe Cindy is gone at that point.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does anybody else just stare at the whole thought cabinet mural and just ponder things?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Noah Caldwell-Gervais covered Disco Elysium in one of the better looks at the game I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What do people make of the Paledriver? It's clear that she figures into how central remembrance of the past is to the game, but I'm left feeling that there has to be something more to her to suss out.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Had something happen and I’m not sure if it’s a bug or if I missed something.

Managed to get myself a real fine pair of ceramic boots at the end of the first day. Headed back to the hotel to wash them off. Kitchen was open and empty so I used a pot. It worked, but after I finished, the door I came through was closed and I couldn’t open it. Only other thing to interact with was a locked door in the back I couldn’t get through.

It was around 11:37 PM when I’m there, and past midnight when I finished. I wasn’t sure if maybe those doors shut at midnight automatically or something.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
That sounds like a bug in that it shouldn't lock you in, but the doors can close at various times. Midnight seems a likely one.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais covered Disco Elysium in one of the better looks at the game I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7ngJDbUQE

Not a bad watch even with the long runtime. I enjoyed him rebutting that buzzfeed article we all ragged on.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FPyat posted:

What do people make of the Paledriver? It's clear that she figures into how central remembrance of the past is to the game, but I'm left feeling that there has to be something more to her to suss out.

She’s just an example of what happens when you spend too much time in the pale. There is probably some thematic connection I’m too dumb to see but that was what I picked up.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I view the Pale / Paledriver as themes of being too focused upon the present and the local similar to the Nothing from Neverending Story representing deterioration of imagination and ideation and to treat its unchecked growth as destruction of something distinctly human and of great value despite not being necessarily real and present in the material world.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

I view the Pale / Paledriver as themes of being too focused upon the present and the local

the Pale is literally described as the present being swallowed up by the past

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

hahahaha how is the pale even real just send radio waves across it

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

hahahaha how is the pale even real just send radio waves across it
Similar to how black holes emit X-Rays as matter is consumed is my guess

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Knuc U Kinte posted:

She’s just an example of what happens when you spend too much time in the pale. There is probably some thematic connection I’m too dumb to see but that was what I picked up.

The game is full of characters being swallowed up by the past, Harry and the Deserter for example.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dreylad posted:

That's great! I'm a big fan of this guy, his Fallout New Vegas videos, especially the road tour ones, rule

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dreylad posted:

I'm watching this on the same day as I saw a clip of Dolph Lundgren get killed by a psychic dolphin (in Johnny Mnemonic).
And also saw someone post about Sean Connery stealing a ferrari (in The Rock).
So my mind has suddenly become more quantum entangled by these coincidences.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

the Pale is literally described as the present being swallowed up by the past

the pale is actually simply a large, friendly dog, that acts as the "moral compass" of Disco Elysium if you will

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it was actually The Pal all along

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I pronounce it pah-lay like it’s French

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the what?

oh, you mean le gris? :agesilaus:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The pale is a Seolian hoax

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

doesn't measurehead have some real galaxy brain insights re: the pale if you internalize advanced race theory? immaculate conception from the pale or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Has anyone had trouble with any of the achievements? They've been mostly pretty straightforward (although the Gluten-free pie one is really obtuse and I went out of my way to get the Palerunner achievement instead of glitching naturally) but I can't seem to get the Massive Torque Dork one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

whydirt posted:

I pronounce it pah-lay like it’s French

:actually: you would say it 'parl' in French or if u prefer en francais

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy loving lol at flying kicking Measurehead

I was like “I know this will fail, but I want to see what happens”.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

christmas boots posted:

Has anyone had trouble with any of the achievements? They've been mostly pretty straightforward (although the Gluten-free pie one is really obtuse and I went out of my way to get the Palerunner achievement instead of glitching naturally) but I can't seem to get the Massive Torque Dork one.

That is probably the one with the weirdest requirements, because it require you NOT to meet the requirements before doing so, I think?

It's weird. Use the wiki.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Pale is just an old wall in Ireland.

Seriously, that's where we get the term "beyond the pale"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

either the thought or the achievement, I forget which, requires that your encyclopedia be low at the start of the game so you can fail the check to recognize that it's a car engine that woke you up. I used these guides to get the achievements (thanks to xander77 for posting 'em).

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Say one of these communist or :smugbird: "traditionalist" :smugbird: things or gently caress off.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I started this game mostly blind and chose the Inland Empire archetype (I'm a sucker for Lynch, apparently only in one way, as my Inland Empire guided me to finding the bullet in the corpse) and now my character is basically Dale Cooper + Dougie Jones.

I've gotten Kim to trust me completely by the first part of day two, and now I'm just drinking vodka borscht and eating hallucinogens. I punched Cuno in the face and stole his dad's drugs.

Game loving rules.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve just started Day 4 and so far my strategy of “just out a skill point into whatever you need at that moment” is working quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve just started Day 4 and so far my strategy of “just out a skill point into whatever you need at that moment” is working quite well.

The only real problem there is that the vast majority of the skill checks in the game are passive and invisible. But that's pretty much the way I played first time through anyway, yeah.