Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tonight's actually felt like a Jeopardy episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The best part of having a contestant who talks unbelievably fast is that you get through more of the board. Don't think we've run out of time on the past four rounds and I love it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The "what if Matt Jackson, but on amphetamines" energy is pretty interesting

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I liked fast talking lady. :sigh:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I haven’t seen the episode yet but all hail the fast talkers and fast next clue pickers.

Truly the heroes we need.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
PS happy two year Jeopardy-versary to me!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

PS happy two year Jeopardy-versary to me!

Hell yeah ! Congrats , and hooray for African geography! Tomorrow I will shake my fist at the Baltimore baseball team

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

packetmantis posted:

I liked fast talking lady. :sigh:

She seemed nice enough, but listening to her give responses was giving me anxiety.

I really wish Alex would stop saying someone is copying James any time they do something pretty standard.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Hell yeah ! Congrats , and hooray for African geography! Tomorrow I will shake my fist at the Baltimore baseball team

Thanks!! (and THANK YOU YES PLEASE DO)

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I really wish Alex would stop saying someone is copying James any time they do something pretty standard.

No loving kidding.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When I grow up, I'm going to be a ghost

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kindly old schoolteacher is like one of the best archetypes of Jeopardy champions, I hope this dude wins $11,000 games forever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm getting kind of tired of Brian's over-exaggerated "AWWW" when he biffs a question.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Kindly old schoolteacher is like one of the best archetypes of Jeopardy champions, I hope this dude wins $11,000 games forever.

Yep. The best is when "kindly old schoolteacher having a nice time going down each category from the top" beats "guy taking it super seriously jumping around the board looking for daily doubles", which I'm pretty sure is how Brian won his first game.

Also, I'm glad Alex addressed his mistake at the start of Double Jeopardy. I thought I was going crazy and misremembering the rules for a minute.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly, I think they should let the dude come back for that mistake.

I mean, ultimately, letting the wrong person pick first DOES change the entire game. What if the guy had picked a different category, someone else had rung in, and the whole order changed? He could have gotten one, or both of the daily doubles instead. That would have changed everything potentially.

I doubt it would have, but it's a possibility and they've brought people back for less.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Did jen not buzz in a single time in double jeopardy?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Joose Caboose posted:

Did jen not buzz in a single time in double jeopardy?

I'm pretty sure she didn't.

I feel really, really bad for people who don't even get to buzz in at all. It's one thing to buzz in and get some questions wrong, but to be up there and barely even get to play is just sad, and I felt for her.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

HookShot posted:

I doubt it would have, but it's a possibility and they've brought people back for less.

Yeah, and I thought it was doubly funny given Alex's excuse of "our judges have analyzed the game and determined it didn't change the outcome." What the hell does that even mean?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

HookShot posted:

Honestly, I think they should let the dude come back for that mistake.

I mean, ultimately, letting the wrong person pick first DOES change the entire game. What if the guy had picked a different category, someone else had rung in, and the whole order changed? He could have gotten one, or both of the daily doubles instead. That would have changed everything potentially.

Isn't that the case for every time they go back and give/take points away from someone later? Those mistakes change the turn order too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Isn't that the case for every time they go back and give/take points away from someone later? Those mistakes change the turn order too.

They do, but at this point they're so common that it would be unreasonable to expect that change to be made every time it happens even though yes, I do agree that they can also completely change the result of a game (especially earlier in the rounds).

This, however, is such an exceptional situation that happens so rarely that I don't ever remember seeing it before, that I think they should bring him back.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopardy-greatest-of-all-time-the-chase-abc-1234821595/

ABC is bringing the Chase to the US with Brad, Ken, and James.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugh, imagine anyone pulling a James episode.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm insulted by how easy that Final Jeopardy was.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zakharov posted:

I'm insulted by how easy that Final Jeopardy was.
That (and last week's Freddie Mercury imo) were both clues that you wouldn't bat an eye at if they were on the $200 line.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That (and last week's Freddie Mercury imo) were both clues that you wouldn't bat an eye at if they were on the $200 line.

Even Alex mocked the easiness of the Freddie Mercury clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, those have been some VERY easy finals.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's a good FJ. Pulled all three out of my rear end with five seconds left, doubt I would've gotten it down.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got it because from Spain I went south whereas Mr. Hookshot went north and was at Finland by the time the music finished.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This champion is annoying as hell, he reminds me of Don E from iZombie.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

packetmantis posted:

This champion is annoying as hell, he reminds me of Don E from iZombie.

On the bright side, it sounds like he's a really nice dude IRL, when people with personalities like that on the show it can really kind of go either way LOL.

Tonight's final was actually fairly obscure, I thought. I mean, I grew up in a household with a French mother learning fairy tales as a kid so I got it instantly, plus yeah the "pouce" part kind of gave it away, but that's some decently advanced knowledge of a foreign language required to get there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

On the bright side, it sounds like he's a really nice dude IRL, when people with personalities like that on the show it can really kind of go either way LOL.

Tonight's final was actually fairly obscure, I thought. I mean, I grew up in a household with a French mother learning fairy tales as a kid so I got it instantly, plus yeah the "pouce" part kind of gave it away, but that's some decently advanced knowledge of a foreign language required to get there.

It wasn't super easy, but it wasn't that overly hard either. The one contestant's guess of "The Little Mermaid" was the only reasonable, literal one-to-one translation guess. When you see how both the languages are treating the name, it's pretty obvious they're going for a diminutive twist on a word, especially since the Spanish wasn't in the equivalent form "La [noun] pequeña". It helps to know the root words in question, but it's not really necessary to puzzle it out once you realize the most obvious direct translation has no valid targets. Then you just cast your mind about looking for one-word names for little characters. The contestants were all just excited to understand the word "little" and couldn't get out of that literal mindset.

Tricky, but doable even if you don't know the French or Spanish words.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think that was hard as gently caress cause while the logic is there you're overestimating how well known "Thumbelina" actually is.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I mean, Jeopardy goes to the Hans Christian Anderson well every other show, seems like something you should be at least aware of in passing even if you don't count the financial failure but still pretty well-known and definitely familiar to anyone under the age of 40 in the 90s film "Thumbelina" from Don Bluth in 1994. There's also an admittedly niche tie-in if you're a fan of godawful movies like I am and know about Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

It's not exactly The Little Mermaid in terms of popularity, but I'd really struggle to call it "obscure" in any way. HCA only has like 5 really well-known fairy tales and he comes up all the time. That's way easier than the incredibly frequent clues where you have to know every minor character from 36 different Shakespeare plays, but that's me :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Its not like I didn't recognize the name after the reveal, but it's not one I was familiar with. I too came up with the Little Mermaid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Seconding that I came up with little mermaid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Absolutely gutted.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1325490106329751553?s=20

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This one hurts. RIP to an absolute legend, hope he wasn't in too much pain at the end.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Awful news.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
He seemed to be having a great time in this week's episodes. I know the show is pre-taped and not really indicative of much, but I did convince myself his health was taking a turn for the better.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
God drat It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well poo poo