Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

35 years?

Raygun Givens buys the armor from the Jawas no more than say a week after the events of ROTJ given that his 2-3 day desert wanderings are pegged to basically the night DS2 goes up with the emperor.

So Boba was seperated from it not long at all after the sailbarge battle some 5-6 years before the events of the series and presumably out of the Sarlaac pit pretty quick. Unless it somehow managed to disrobe him and just barf up yhe armor. His ship might have been jacked or space towed in the ~week or two in question sure, but it was no where near that long.

There should have been a hyphen between 3 and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Madurai posted:

There should have been a hyphen between 3 and 5.

That changes the meaning by quite a few parsecs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phylodox posted:

I mean...did you miss the end of The Last Jedi? The part where Rey saves the day by literally lifting a bunch of rocks? The point of the movie isn’t “Lifting rocks isn’t cool” it’s “Lifting rocks is hella cool, Luke’s just too old and jaded to see it”.

Was she lifting rocks, or was she pushing down the whole planet?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lobok posted:

It makes you wonder why it had an acid spray. What used to be on Tattooine that a thing like that had an evolutionary arms race against?
Well, Disney does own the Alien franchise now...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's it known how much time elapsed between Han's rescue from the barge and Endor? Luke had time to visit Dagobah, I suppose he could have hung with Yoda for a bit, did learning of the second Death Star or the dead bothans necessary happen right after he got back?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something im curious about is if the show will talk more about Mandalore the planet. Since the Covert are more fundamentalist Mandos and Keldabe still technically exists in Disney Canon, maybe they operated out of Keldabe instead of Sundari when the Empire cracked down on the planet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

It makes you wonder why it had an acid spray. What used to be on Tattooine that a thing like that had an evolutionary arms race against?

I assumed the acid was for cutting through rock.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's it known how much time elapsed between Han's rescue from the barge and Endor? Luke had time to visit Dagobah, I suppose he could have hung with Yoda for a bit, did learning of the second Death Star or the dead bothans necessary happen right after he got back?

I think it was on the scale of a few days. If you count the cut scenes, I'm reasonably sure that they mention going to Sullust in the sandstorm scene. That'd be pretty close to the battle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/kchironis/status/1323413696257781763?s=21

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Those crocodogs were great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They’re called Massiffs and they’re in Episode 2 when Anakin goes to see his mom die/kill not just the men.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cattail Prophet posted:

Was this the first time the big orchestral swell in the main theme has actually shown up within an episode? I can only ever remember it playing over the credits before.

Re: the hit to Boba's reputation from the Sarlacc incident, are we sure Han even knows exactly how Boba went out? He was still mostly blind at the time, after all.

Chewie certainly could have told him what happened at some point.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They’re called Massiffs and they’re in Episode 2 when Anakin goes to see his mom die/kill not just the men.

I just love how I don't remember those even if I was a semi-avid fan of the prequels back in the day.

I'm probably not gonna forget them now, because in my mind they are the good doggos that were happy to see Din and that was so cute :3:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

skasion posted:

In old canon, Weequay usually went by “Weequay” to outsiders because they didn’t have names among themselves owing to the fact that they don’t really talk and do most of their communication by pheromones.

In new canon, they have names and talk in sexy Spanish accents, so I guess the marshal is just a racist

Oh interesting. My knowledge of Weequay is quite limited to "the guy who got eaten by the sarlacc with Boba Fett" and Hondo, so that actually helps it to make sense.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/halhickel/status/1323437374928429057?s=20

look at them big ol' choppers

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Having that annoying kid play Boba kinda wrecks the character for me in ways that having that annoying kid playing Vader didn’t 100% accomplish.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How was he annoying? He has like no lines and kinda just sits around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

How was he annoying? He has like no lines and kinda just sits around.

I think you forgot how many eye-poppingly bad lines he has in the Geonosis ring dogfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

It's like he was taught to act wrong on purpose, as a joke. The number of times can probably be counted on one hand that a single actor ruined a scene so effectively when on camera.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They got better performances out of him for Clone Wars, which I think is mostly just Dave Filoni being a better writer than George Lucas was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They got better performances out of him for Clone Wars, which I think is mostly just Dave Filoni being a better writer than George Lucas was.

George Lucas is not an "actor's director" either. Literally every actor who turned in a weird or wooden performance in the Prequels under Lucas has given some pretty banger performances elsewhere under other/better directors.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

George Lucas is not an "actor's director" either. Literally every actor who turned in a weird or wooden performance in the Prequels under Lucas has given some pretty banger performances elsewhere under other/better directors.

If you want evidence of what a poo poo director Lucas is, compare Liam Neeson's performance in the Phantom Menace, to his first performance as a leading man in Darkman, where the Director, Sam Raimi, is also directing his first big studio production. I'm not calling Darkman an example of cinema mastery, but it's better than what was created 9 years later.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Liam Neeson is good in Star Wars. I never thought that was an unpopular opinion before. Isn't he one of the things basically everyone likes about the prequels?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, he and Ewan are the best things in the prequels.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

cargohills posted:

Liam Neeson is good in Star Wars. I never thought that was an unpopular opinion before. Isn't he one of the things basically everyone likes about the prequels?

He isn’t Ewan McGregor or Ian McDiarmid, so no.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the peace orb in episode 1. People are like "Wtf there is just this glowing orb for no reason this movie just makes poo poo up as it goes along"

But listen to me, I don't need a loving expanded universe novelization to tell you that's The Peace Orb. Glowing orbs loving rule. Tusken Raiders know it. Gungans know it. Jawa know it. Get with the program.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Lucas is pretty much only good for big ideas, I think one thing that's very much a point in his favour though is he does budge when he gets pushback, that's why the original trilogy turned out so well.

Filoni always comes across very well in terms of connecting the dots of what Lucas would do, but actually doing it decently. His reading of the Duel of the Fates ascribes much more meaning to it than I think there honestly is in the film itself, but he executes on all that and then some in a much more understated final showdown between Maul and Obi-Wan in Rebels. That's very much how Mandalorian feels too.

cargohills posted:

Neeson's performance was pretty decent, but the script definitely didn't help him, and it was very phoned in outside of line delivery. He's not very celebrated because he's stuck in the Jar Jar and midichlorians movie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neeson is fine, but Qui-Gon is a super boring character. He's supposed to be this rebellious grey Jedi that doesn't get on with the council, but that never particularly comes across in his dialogue. The only reason he's fondly remember is down to Neeson's innate charisma.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Not to be confused with their large stockpile of War Orbs.

Unless, this is like Boss Nass firing an AK-47 into the air to celebrate a cease-fire lasting peace.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think how well an actor fares in a George Lucas movie is directly proportional to how much they're willing to make the character their own and take initiative. Harrison Ford basically created Han Solo, and, from what I've seen, was kind of backseat directing scenes with Hamil and Fisher.

McGregor and McDiarmid are so beloved because they 100% realized what kind of movies they were in and went full-on ham and cheese with everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He also wasn't literally ten when he was doing Clone Wara.

I did like how he and Morrison got a nice bromance going later in life.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you forgot how many eye-poppingly bad lines he has in the Geonosis ring dogfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ME5jhsgmB4

It's like he was taught to act wrong on purpose, as a joke. The number of times can probably be counted on one hand that a single actor ruined a scene so effectively when on camera.

People: You can't hear pictures

Me:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Best parts of the prequels were Neeson, McGregor, Christopher Lee, and Ian McDiarmid, without a doubt

Anyone with a beard or unlimited power

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

His reading of the Duel of the Fates ascribes much more meaning to it than I think there honestly is in the film itself

He actually just straightforwardly describes what happens in the movie.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Laterite posted:

People: You can't hear pictures

Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Necrothatcher posted:

Neeson is fine, but Qui-Gon is a super boring character. He's supposed to be this rebellious grey Jedi that doesn't get on with the council, but that never particularly comes across in his dialogue.

Eh? Sure it does. Virtually the first scene of the movie has Qui-gon telling Obi-wan that he should spend less time listening to Yoda’s mystic visionary stuff and more time focusing on what’s going on. There’s a couple of occasions on which Obi-wan is being snotty and doctrinaire and Qui-gon tries to broaden his mind a bit. There’s a prickly scene between the two of them before Anakin’s test where Obi-wan reproves him for not being a team player and alludes, in usual Star Wars fashion, to past events that we haven’t seen to back up his argument. Qui-gon responds by pretty much telling him he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Of course what Obi-wan is saying is true, the council won’t let him train Anakin, and when this happens he stops just short of telling them to sit and spin. Literally his dying words are him making Obi-wan promise to ignore what the council explicitly told them. The idea of Qui-gon the maverick can be taken too far. He’s a dissenter, not a revolutionary. But he does dissent. He’s just low-key about it and not an aggressive jerk.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

cargohills posted:

He actually just straightforwardly describes what happens in the movie.

What happens in the movie is a cool fight. Filoni describes an emotional core that should exist in a movie that utterly fails at establishing it, one that should represent the emotional core of the whole prequel trilogy and is only even slightly approached by that one really good poster for the movie. I'm sure it's what Lucas had intended, but that's exactly my point, he's awful at execution, just concept.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

I will never not remember this when watching this scene now, thank you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spookydonut posted:

It really is spectacular.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Spookydonut posted:

I highly recommend watching the full Star Wars saga. "The liquor store closes at 11. Race you!"

Youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLINl9l0igYjzIipxsD4Y59_Jjxe4N3pZo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

When does Din earn the jet pack missile upgrade, this is an outrage.