Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
:shroom: :lsd: :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

voted tech, skill or other - our best chance is unconventional warfare both cause Joe is way tougher physically and because his low intellect and perception make it more viable plus, as others mentioned, it plays to our strengths.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Stoner Sloth posted:

voted tech, skill or other - our best chance is unconventional warfare both cause Joe is way tougher physically and because his low intellect and perception make it more viable plus, as others mentioned, it plays to our strengths.

that scans

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Thankfully, you can Save & Quit in the middle of a boss fight at the start of a round. This was necessary because the computer had to be moved to another room. While this room was dark, moldy, dusty, and comfortably tiny, it also had to be closed down for the rest of the year. Better to be somewhere with a little more light, as fun as it would be to remain hidden here in the dark, unseen.]

(WARNING: PARANORMAL FORUM QLIPHOTH DETERRENCE NEARING 100%)
(MOVING TO NEW FORUM)
(LOADING...)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - How The HELL Am I Going To Win This

Burn resources in hope of outpacing Joe. - 0
Fight as defensively as possible in hope of whittling him down. - 0
Use 'Tech', 'Skill', and 'Other' in hope of a lucky break. - 14
HOPE YOU CAN RUN!! - 0

Overwhelming majority!

...LOADING

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Everyone lurking and posting ITT, please make sure you have this thread bookmarked. They will move the thread and you shall not get lost under the shroud of mystery. If you do get lost, search in Let's Play to be enlightened once again.

4d 6f 76 69 6e 67 20 74 68 69 73 20 74 68 72 65 61 64 20 74 6f 20 4c 50 20 62 65 66 6f 72 65 20 50 2f 43 20 63 6c 6f 73 65 73

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It moved so FAST. Eight legs glide the slide with skittering agility, spindlelimbs supporting the enormous bulk of the ultramutant. It didn't hiss or growl. It only made a wet squishing as its teeth worked in a wave pattern, pushed and pulled by the enormous clusters of muscles around the head.

Your sword barely glanced the carapace. It nearly had you grappled and your heart cleanly sawed out. You weren't ready to face this, you weren't equipped to win it, and it was too fast for you to outright. Your mind was starting to come down from the sudden wake-up chemical dump of your mushroom brain, adrenaline washing it away. You were left with colorful clarity.

What to do what to do what to do...

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] [Mushroom]

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

You look over your options.

TECHS
• Blade Majestueux
• The Silver Mind
• ҉

SKILLS
• !Tyranny
• !First-Aid

POWERS
• !Darkness
• PSI ESP ɑ

OTHER
• Leap off the skybridge into the waters below!
• Unload ALL your ammo. [-5 Bullets]
• Throw some food at him!

[There it was. The mystery tech that came from blind-choosing glitched options on the pop-up prompts, which by questionable luck gifted a tech with no name, no description, no cost, and a 'this color means this belongs to THIS archetype' border that belonged to no class.]

[So the gamble was to try it during an already-lost fight and see where it goes from there.]

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

You use ҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉ ҉҉҉҉

_________________________ raise an open hand

(You. Hear. A. Sound.)

[The screen flashes a pink color.]
[The music cuts out after the tech makes an unfamiliar sound effect.]
[The turn ends immediately.]
[Things have changed.]

[The game hangs for a moment, loading...]

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This game is cool

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

Jandou Joe goes for what he knows.
One long, spindly leg stabs out with snapcrack annoyance.

(12 or less) 3] +5] +5]= 13 - Fail ure!

I dodge out of the way by stepping to one side, foot catching into a puddle as warm rain soaks my shoe. I consider what to use for my counterattack, the Ultramutant now in range. I grip my sword tight against the Jandoubi storm.

TECHS
• Starlight Serenade~

• Stalking
• Colourform
• Waterflare

• The Judas Remeant
• Diamantébrand

SKILLS
[INACCESSIBLE]

POWERS
• !Midnight

Player Choice
Joe missed his attack by a hair. The combat screen is a hot mess with a lot of garbage characters, and even more blank space. Whatever the tech did, it at least allowed unintended access to other techs that could be used. But which one?

This Could Be My Chance

(Voting will end later tonight or later, depending on how this night goes.)

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

According to my RPG knowledge, anything special attack that name drops a biblical figure is going to be some high tier poo poo so I'm voting Judas.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sounds like a skill that deals damage to us and our target. Too much of a risk.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

habituallyred posted:

Sounds like a skill that deals damage to us and our target. Too much of a risk.

i think what happens is we get good and into its friend zone then viciously betray it with a critical

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Y'all don't want to sing a serenade to seduce Joe?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

According to my RPG knowledge, anything special attack that name drops a biblical figure is going to be some high tier poo poo so I'm voting Judas.

Agreed.

"Serenade" sounds unhelpful since he's a big flea, he won't care about music.
"Stalking" sounds like a non-combat skill.
"Colourform" could be a buff?

He's immune to water, so that one's out.

Only the bottom two sound like attack options.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BigFactory posted:

This game is cool

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Remeant is an ancient Latin word meaning “returning”, by the way. I’m going with Diamentebrand, I agree Judas sounds too much like a double-edged sword.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED for which tech to try

Starlight Serenade~ - 1
Stalking - 0
Colourform - 0
Waterflare - 0
The Judas Remeant - 5
Diamantébrand - 6

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Razakai posted:

A Black August CYOA? I am so incredibly happy. (every few years I still do a reread of your In Nomine recording!)

I didn't get to thank you before. I remember that talk, and appreciate the read.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Man this was a trip and a half so far.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So basically, one fairly powerful and extremely armour-piercing shot. Hopefully my tiebreaker vote hasn't got us killed... :ohdear:

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Pardon for what feels like a stupid question, but is this an actual playable game? Either way it's delightfully weird!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DrKirre posted:

Pardon for what feels like a stupid question, but is this an actual playable game? Either way it's delightfully weird!

Naw. I wish it was!

Update later on tonight. Too distracted by the Everything right now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The Everything is the last and greatest of the ultramutants.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your head swims, sloshing back and forth through the static canyons that roared through when you raised your hand to make... you don't know. You were you, I was I, we were us; black and silver mixing wild as though a gentle electric current was playing string across your neurons. The sensation drags your ego back together after its drift, and reality reasserts that you were under sudden attack by a seven foot tall spiderbeetlecrab.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]
Mushroom Microdose Wears Off...

Under attack in the middle of a half-collapsed storming skybridge. Under attack by something you have no chance of defeating. Even if you plugged every bullet left into its head, would it be enough? It's so large and HEAVY- could you trick it to fall off the edge? Even if you ran away, could you outrun it?

Every muscle is burning. Eyes sting from water and sweat. Jandou Joe tip-taps slowly across the drenched stone and wet vines, sizing you up, his mouth undulating. He was going to strike any second now. What hope was there? How? HOW do you get out of this? Your chest hurts so bad. You can't think straight. The Tyrant and the Psychic were too far back for your thoughts to reach them. You had nothing. Nothing left but to hope... so you do. You hold up your sword, lip quivering, and from the bottom of your hurting heart-

You 𝔭𝔯𝔞𝔶 .

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

You raise your sword to caÞÜjì£trtrtr the light - it passes throÉöÇÀ,­”¶dh^Dþ‘‡ô›ÿ woú½bSÕ:uµVðÿ c†Ènžùö¶ m©ís?1Žc
_ H`Æ[¡Ðn-&Flea
____ ________ _ming like diamond!

[Diamantébrand Potency] - [3]+1 = 4]
[+4 Damage. DR/4. 4 round duration.]

Jandou Joe's carapace unfolds. Pressurized water is shot out from a pustule!

([Watersharp] 10 - [4]+[6]+[1] = 11 - Failure.)

You jerk your body out of the way! The stream nicks your shoulder, before it slices open some stonework. Jumping over a mound of soggy moss, under a split in the skylight where rain pours down, you go for broke. Every strength you can find is driven into the sword.

(!Tyranny 16 - [2]+[1]+[4] = 7 - CRITICAL SUCCESS!!)
[Technique: The Blade Majestueux][-1 FP][+1d Damage]
[Technique: Diamantébrand ][DR/4][+4 Damage][-1 FP][+1d Damage]
[Maneuver: Extra-Effort Mighty Blow][-1 FP][+3 Damage]
[Maneuver: Determined Attack][-Defense][+6 To-Hit]
[Crit Effect: DR/4]

Dealt 25 damage!

Jandou Joe is reeling! But he remains on his feet. Jandou Joe doesn't notice your off guard in the rainy dark, but does attack with [Oh No It's Jandou Joe]! Long thick flensing teeth splay open to kiss you... only one tooth manages to catch on, cleanly flicking off a thick chunk of meat from your back.

(OH NO 10 - [2]+[3]+[2] = 7 - Success.)

You take 5 damage!

That could have killed you.

You're both hurt, but it's clear that your teeth are biting harder. You roll away after the bite, and swing back around with a furious cleave. If you try to fight safe, you're NOT going to hit him...

(!Tyranny 16 - [5]+[6]+[4] = 15 - Success.)
[Technique: The Blade Majestueux][-1 FP][+1d Damage]
[Maneuver: Extra-Effort Mighty Blow][-1 FP][+3 Damage]
[Maneuver: Determined Attack][-Defense][+6 To-Hit]

You did 21 damage!

Jandou Joe is reeling! He thinks better of the situation, and tries to escape!

(JOE HAS GOTTA GO 10 - [3]+[5]+[3] = 11 - Failure.)

...but his legs catch on some rubble in the hurry, and he's forced to slide to a short stop. Your Murderous Intent FLARES at the sight of his fear, and you press the advantage, running after with a killing blow ready...

(!Tyranny 16 - [6]+[6]+[5] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!!)

Uh oh.

You're so eager to reach Joe, that you slip on the small rivers across the stone, and completely lose your balance, nearly dropping your sword and flying off the edge!

[Crit Effect: -4 To-Hit]

You're both stuck looking at each other, tense and on edge.
The rain won't shut up, clamoring as it watches.
A beat passes, and then-
Joe thinks better of the situation, and tries to escape!
You let him go...

[Joe escaped. No XP or items won.]

You stand there after Joe does what he knows. The numbness passes, and the panic strikes lightning across your heart.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

Where are you? What WAS that thing? Your sword had the color of rainbow crystal for a moment, you were pretty sure, but now it was just stone again. Why was the rain getting louder? What WAS that thing? Your back is bleeding it hurts it really really hurts. The Silver Mind was there but now it's quiet and you want to leave here and the shadows were moving in strange ways and you're scared of falling and thunder is making you jump and your gasping for air and what WAS THAT THING what if it comes back what do you do what are you supposed TO DO-

ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][70%]

You sit down in the water, legs gone weak. Warm warm rainy water. You're speaking words of nonsense, calling for Kwiat, screaming for the chicken boy, paralyzed and mortified it'd be back to lickpluck out your heart with his teeth, thickblade teeth, warm gooey churning your insides around like stubborn fatty pudding WHERE ARE YOU??!? why are you sitting down you'll die you gotta go gotta go gotta go go go go go go get up GO GO GO-

you run and the gun is
here out aim up
back into the black
what's
happening to m e

WHAM!

You smash full force face first, directly into... ...a tree? The ground was soft and dry, barely noticed as you roll over screeching from a bloodied nose and painshock. You nearly attack the tree, but your panic and violence are stayed when you pay attention to your surroundings.

You were in a uhhhh, a forest. Forest? The trees looked a little similar... were you back in the Holy Land? But your wound, still there. Clothes, still wet. Panic, still roosting over your heart with gentle talons kneading it. But you were so confused that even your terror had gone quiet, just so it could figure out whether you should be screaming still or what.

Assess. Assess. Calm down. Where is the threat? WHAT is the threat? There were trees, trees, trees, and a- you were on a path. It was getting very dark, very soon. You turn around one more time, and stop dead in your tracks as you see it. Every single part of you looks at one another, pausing all biological responses, in order to look up at the Brain where the Tyrant and Psychic were both wallowing helpless in the deep pool of total confusion now ruling everyone.

HP: [ 12 / 18 ]
FP: [ 9 / 14 ]

ANXIETY: [ ? ][ ? ][ ? ][ ? ][50%?][what]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Oh.]

[Oh this isn't ideal.]

[The battle with Jandou Joe was a draw, despite the broken/invalid tech seemingly gifting access to something any build was very much not supposed to get - each Backup had a unique Art they could use, and Diamanté could brand the weapon of any ally with a very dangerous bonus to damage and armor divisor. Without it, there would have been no way to damage Joe. Winning the fight would have been very nice- likely a few Levels and his drop. But survival had been the aim, and that was good enough.]

[The encounter tables getting mixed up was bad, but what was worse was what the game did when the boss battle ended - it went back to the valley map like it should have, but apparently the confusion of thinking it was in Jandoubi for a moment managed to misalign the 'dump back to Holy Land' coordinates, and instead decided it was more in the middle of the valley.]

[Which placed it at The Camp.]

[The Camp was not a place to be at Level 4. Or 5. Level 10-15 was much safer. It was blocked off on all sides for that reason. From the south, the low mountains deterred with both higher level encounters, as well the extreme skill-check difficulty of trying to pass across mountain terrain the first place. On the east, water and more mountain blocked it off. To the north, the same as the south, leaving the water access of the west. It all served to say "Stay Away"]

[However, this was not an inescapable position to be in. The Camp was not impossible, but it was improbable to win at such a low Level, and a lot of it depended again on the RNG of who ended up spawning there as your Counselors. The other option was to try to leave by the west waterway, which was suicide without a boat or any water items, or to go south through the mountains and pray for good skill checks and no fighting Events. Bad mountain checks meant shattered bones, getting lost, and severe penalties to speed.]

[Last of all, it was nearly nightfall on the game clock. Being outside then would be a very bad idea.]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[PLAYER CHOICE]
Looks like the game didn't crash, and the severely out-of-depth encounter was fought to a draw. But when trying to put you back on the world map screen, the game lost its position, and left you at a difficult-to-reach, difficult-to-escape place. So what's the play?

Did anyone bring a tent?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
What've we got in our inventory at the moment, anyway?

Edit: Fording the river is never the right choice. I'm voting SUMMER CAMP.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Checking the inventory screen, you've got...

You also have 5 days worth of food back at the Hideout in Kwiat's feeder.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Voted summer camp. Maybe we'll get lucky, find a boat? :shrug:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It looks like if we try to cross the mountains we will be outside come nightfall, which sounds like near-certain death. The camp will at least have shelter, and only probable death.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I prefer our odds at camp than outside. Besides, it's a camp: the dangers there have minds we're more likely to be able to touch with silver and blue fungus.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

otoh hand braving the mountains at night could be fun!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted camp. We even have our own tent! Just try to tell me a field kit wouldn't have a small pup tent.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Maybe we should loot the summer camp...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also voting will end sometime... when... y'know. The other voting ends.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok home from work and it's been long enough. I think THIS vote is clear. Which means that THE TICKET IS STAMPED-

I'm goin' to summer camp!! - 15
I'm goin' to FORD THE RI- climb the mountain back. - 3

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...LOADING

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... why would you kill a cat? Cats are awesome. I would ask if we can be the tyrant of cats, but cats answer to no one but the holder of the treat bag.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ANXIETY: [ ? ][ ? ][ ? ][?%] [no for real] [what]

You stare at the sign for about a solid minute. You knew about... camps. So what's a summer camp? Peering below the sign, you can make out dark red letters on the mouldering brown wood, telling you 'WELCOME TO CAMP DARING!'

a'ight.

With nothing else to do but find your bearings as tension and pain wrack your muscles, you wander past the sign, finding a path to follow deeper into the forest. The trees were spindly here, like stretched out weeping willows, the leaves sometimes drooping all the way to the ground. You hated walking past them, feeling them dragging across your hot and oversensitive skin, making you growl as you scratch them away.

It's dark. Oh it's getting so dark. The sky was a dim cold blue, clouds thickening overhead. You pick up the pace, desperate to both race ahead of the dark, and the growing anxiety suddenly fresh in you again with the confusion fading.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

sick sick sick with worry, feet hurt and your back was still bloodied and where are you, and why? why why why is kwiat going to be okay, you have to get back to her but you have to find shelter before the dark here it comes here comes the night go faster go faster towards the tithe, go faster go faster or the SCYTHE

oh hey a fire just suddenly flared up about 10 feet in front of you and there's two figures in front of it and you know the best thing about a mounting panic attack while charging through unknown woods in the dark is when you're surprised so badly you immediately fall over and pull out your sword thinking it's your gun and you almost start screaming and now THEY'RE screaming so you do start screaming and then you just

FREEZE

Right in place. To hold your sword like a gun, and then quickly shift it to hold it right, breathing so fast you're making a little whining noise and

and

...they've stopped screaming, as have you. You look at one another across from the suddenly-lit fire. Two figures stood there, one still hopping from one foot to the other, as she held on to the other figure, who just stood there holding a twig lit on fire, held out in warding.

You blink a few times, brain suddenly forced to ASSESS. What is this threat? What were you looking at? A small fire. Who was across from you? The Silver Mind was still trying to pull its way back together, leaving you no way to peer inside. You had to use your own wits.

The one acting like she was the elephant who saw the mouse caught your attention first, if only for the visual riot she presented. She was petite. Humanish... but had numerous subtle differences that marked her as something sylvan. She wore a cabaret star's outfit and makeup, rainbow lingerie and midnight accents, all of it dirty and ragged. Her head bore a pitch-black top hat. Her exposed skin had strange marks on it, ones you recognized from medical knowledge - she bore the burns of radiance. No shoes - her feet were extremely scarred, so much so that you wondered how she moved so easily. Her joymad eyes continued to stare, as she shook and bothered the one she clung to.

That one, still holding a twig, looked more threatening. It wore a heavy red robe, stained with pitch and REEKING of gasoline, parts of it tied with flowers, little chains, runes, and other strange accessories. The hands were wrapped in a great deal of stained bandages. Its face was concealed, by both its hood, and the mask it wore - a warped metal disc with no holes in it at all. But you felt it staring at you, your sword aimed at them, as you feel the tension begin to ri-

"AHHHHHHHHHH BABE YER ON FIRE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!"

Eh? The manic woman points at the robed one, and you see that the twig has burnt down, and now was catching on the robe. The robed one stares down at its arm, and then begins to mildly panic, smacking at it while the woman does the same, as it creeps up the elbow and catches on a patch of something chemical staining the fabric. The spectacle continues as the woman shoves the robed one over, and begins to roll them in the grass. While screaming.

The sword is lowered. A little.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [I'm calming down because clearly I have a better grip here]

OST: Oh My Mania

The woman FINALLY stops screaming, right around when you begin to worry what might be hearing her, when she violently hauls the robed one up, and then cheerfully pulls them back to sit on a log in front of the fire, now covered in wet grass and dirt. The mask was a little askew, and the woman reaches over to adjust it before finally turning to face you.

"HI!! Did you ever gimme a fright! Haha. Lookit you! Thoughts you was some, some big spooky!"

She raises her fingers to waggle them while making a face in front of the fire. You lower the sword further. This was clearly not a sober moment.

"Buuuuuuuuut yer just a lil' ol'... um..."

She looks over at the robed one with a shrug and lost expression. But she immediately snaps back to cheer, her stare drilling into you, colorful contrast against the dark.

"...yer a new friend! I hope? HI!! Ya wanna hang with us for a bit? We's was doing some rounds to check out some cool stuff aroun' here and then we got a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle lost." - her eyes roll with a sheepish look.

She yanks at the robe of her companion, digging into it invasively for something (the robed one doesn't react) before yanking out some baggies to shake at you.

"We got traaaaaa~aaaaail mix! An BLOW!"

Maybe you-
No maybe not you should...
But then-
Well.
Hm...

Six-Pack Perfection posted:

EAT THE TRAIL MIX FOR PROTEIN

Yeah but-

Garbage Disposal posted:

EAT THE TRAIL MIX FOR THE RAISINS I LIKE THEM

You did too, sure, b-

Compromised Cranial posted:

fire is pretty and warm

It sure was, wow. Wow it WAS warm. Wow you're cold, and wet, and scared. Wow you're tired and hungry and hurt. Wow you feel sick and want to cry. Wow these two made you uncomfortable, but... maybe. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe long enough to get a grip on things, let the Dark and the Silver Mind recoup.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
You've met two weirdos in the middle of the dark woods near the Camp. They have trail mix, and blow. The fire is warm. Maybe...

Maybe I could...