Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Amppelix posted:

what's more, any renown spent on NG+ features like buying back skill levels and supports is refunded to you when you begin the next NG+, so you just accumulate higher amounts of it naturally over time.

:eyepop: if that's true that's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

what's more, any renown spent on NG+ features like buying back skill levels and supports is refunded to you when you begin the next NG+, so you just accumulate higher amounts of it naturally over time.

After digging around, I can't find anything that shows this to be true. And everywhere (include my own experience) says that once renown is spent, it's gone.

That said, you can have one cleared save file with a bunch of saved renown and keep using that for NG+. But of course, any new skill levels/bonuses you unlock in subsequent playthroughs won't be added.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

AlternateNu posted:

That said, you can have one cleared save file with a bunch of saved renown and keep using that for NG+. But of course, any new skill levels/bonuses you unlock in subsequent playthroughs won't be added.

You can NG+ a NG+ and then NG+ that and keep stacking NG+'s on top of each other infinitely actually. This means the clear bonus's keep adding up in addition to all your unspent renown and you can after only like 3 playthrough's have functionally infinite renown and all skills, supports, and classes unlocked on every character.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

galagazombie posted:

You can NG+ a NG+ and then NG+ that and keep stacking NG+'s on top of each other infinitely actually. This means the clear bonus's keep adding up in addition to all your unspent renown and you can after only like 3 playthrough's have functionally infinite renown and all skills, supports, and classes unlocked on every character.

Yeah I've stacked 3 now and it is ridic.

I don't think anything is refunded though, you do get a big bonus just for doing NG+

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

After digging around, I can't find anything that shows this to be true. And everywhere (include my own experience) says that once renown is spent, it's gone.
well that just wouldn't make much sense to me because on each of my NG+ games i have spent most of my renown, and yet started the next successive NG+ with more than i started with last time. the clear bonus really doesn't account for that.

like i ended my crimson flower maddening playthrough with somewhere close to 5k, and started the golden deer playthrough from that file and that had like 50k to start

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Amppelix posted:

well that just wouldn't make much sense to me because on each of my NG+ games i have spent most of my renown, and yet started the next successive NG+ with more than i started with last time. the clear bonus really doesn't account for that.

like i ended my crimson flower maddening playthrough with somewhere close to 5k, and started the golden deer playthrough from that file and that had like 50k to start

You get a stacking renown bonus of 10k for every + in you NG+ series, up to 50k. So if you had done 5+ game clears the game would start you with an extra 50k in addition to what you carried over. You get another bonus for having completed the game on maddening (9k), and there's also the 10k renown bonus you get each time if you finished the dlc story once.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2020

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm currently nearing the end of my CF playthrough (having already done an AM playthrough) and thinking about doing a GD playthrough with permadeath on (so far I've been playing on casual).

I'm crazy enough to want to play both VW and SS so I'll probably end up doing a SS playthrough where I recruit absolutely everyone.

Any good ideas for less-than-ideal builds for the GD people? I've recruited pretty much all of them save for Raphael, Hilda and Claude in my previous runs so I'd like to do something unorthodox with them. Most likely I'll use the GD crew, gray wolves and the faculty staff the most (I noticed that I never really made much use of Flayn, Manuela, Hanneman, Cyril and Alois and I'll probably try to remedy that somewhat.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shinji117 posted:

You get a stacking renown bonus of 10k for every + in you NG+ series, up to 50k. So if you had done 5+ game clears the game would start you with an extra 50k in addition to what you carried over. You get another bonus for having completed the game on maddening (9k), and there's also the 10k renown bonus you get each time if you finished the dlc story once.
oh. well that makes sense then. i thought you just got the 10k per every ng+ and the stacking was from all your previous renown combining with that. never mind then!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Any good ideas for less-than-ideal builds for the GD people? I've recruited pretty much all of them save for Raphael, Hilda and Claude in my previous runs so I'd like to do something unorthodox with them. Most likely I'll use the GD crew, gray wolves and the faculty staff the most (I noticed that I never really made much use of Flayn, Manuela, Hanneman, Cyril and Alois and I'll probably try to remedy that somewhat.)
oh, oh, this is my specialty! here's two:

Marianne as pegasus knight (you might train her reason to access dark flier occasionally)
Ignatz as healer, maybe bishop, maybe go through trickster, etc

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Would Ignatz work as a war cleric?

Let me paint you a picture!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Hanneman's got some really funny stuff you can do with him, he has an interesting tool hit and stuff like Magic Bow Sniper or Bow Knight could be fun.

gently caress around with Flayn's rescue and Manuela/Lys having Warp access. Probably the biggest incentives to use them. Cyril has Point Blank volley.

Less than Ideal builds is a tough thing for the regular Golden Deer crew because they're all fairly flexible.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Deltasquid posted:

I just did a playthrough where I made Leonie go up through magic classes, to Valkyrie and then Dark Knight. That was fun. She actually has a decent spell list and is flexible enough to do well at anything.

I recruited her again for my current playthrough, and I think I'm going to have her do Pegasus Knight and then War Cleric. She's going to be dodging like a pro.

You could also try sending Lysithea up through all the sword classes. She has a budding talent in swords, but it's definitely still a wanky build for her since you don't get access to her magic, and her strength and defense are never that great. I did this with her in my last playthrough, and she wasn't so bad at it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

I just did a playthrough where I made Leonie go up through magic classes, to Valkyrie and then Dark Knight. That was fun. She actually has a decent spell list and is flexible enough to do well at anything.

I recruited her again for my current playthrough, and I think I'm going to have her do Pegasus Knight and then War Cleric. She's going to be dodging like a pro.

You could also try sending Lysithea up through all the sword classes. She has a budding talent in swords, but it's definitely still a wanky build for her since you don't get access to her magic, and her strength and defense are never that great. I did this with her in my last playthrough, and she wasn't so bad at it.

How about getting her through the magic classes while also upping her sword skill through lectures? Would the stat growths gimp her a bit too much if I tried that, to make her end up as mortal savant? I vaguely recall she got a skill to use her MA for sword attacks; presumably it's best to just dump STR and have as high as possible MA instead?

I think maybe I expressed myself poorly earlier; not really looking for "less viable" but more like "less orthodox", or not as straightforward.

Considering making somebody with high speed growth an armour knight and see if their growths can maybe salvage the armour knight's slow speed growth

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Deltasquid posted:

How about getting her through the magic classes while also upping her sword skill through lectures? Would the stat growths gimp her a bit too much if I tried that, to make her end up as mortal savant? I vaguely recall she got a skill to use her MA for sword attacks; presumably it's best to just dump STR and have as high as possible MA instead?

I think maybe I expressed myself poorly earlier; not really looking for "less viable" but more like "less orthodox", or not as straightforward.

Considering making somebody with high speed growth an armour knight and see if their growths can maybe salvage the armour knight's slow speed growth

Obviously sending her up through magic classes results in her having lower strength than otherwise, but she's got a decent innate growth rate for strength, so she won't be hindered as much as some characters.

You might just try making her magic classes and equipping a sword on her so that she can build that stat in that weapon in battle as well as outside of battle. But in the end, if your goal is for her to have a high strength stat at end game, then, yeah, Mage, etc. won't help that.

Leonie doesn't have any sword combat arts that use magic to my knowledge. I think the only special combat arts she gets are in lances and bows.

Edit: Oops. You meant Lysithea, didn't you? Yeah, she gets a magic attack sword combat art that is based on her resistance I think. When I had Lysithea go through the sword classes, she ended up with higher strength than normal, but even at end game, her strength was not that high compared to a character who is more geared towards physical classes. She made up for it by being fast and doubling a lot. Her magic growth was still ok too. Obviously, it wasn't as good as it usually would have been, but Lysithea gains magic stats no matter what you do.

Inu fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 3, 2020

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Deer turn out great if you base their final class around their hidden talents. So Swordmaster Lysithea, Falcon Marianne, Mage Ignatz ect.

Lorenz actually performs decently whether as a mage or a fighter but he's poo poo in mixed classes. Ignatz has heavier offensive magics but usually has the speed to double with them.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Lysithea makes a great Swordmaster even without pumping her magic. She can grab the Thunderbrand right away and once her rank gets up she can use a Killer and Levin sword and her Soulblade art combined with effective weapons delete any difficult opponents.

Marianne also makes a great Paladin/Falcon Knight with Soulblade and Frozen Lance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was looking at the battalion guild menu and the way your movement type skill (i.e. armor, riding or flying) gets highlighted when browsing it, and it made me wonder if there perhaps was a more involved mechanic here that didn't end up making the cut but this trace remains. We still have the bit where flying units can only equip flying battalions, which i honestly think might mostly be in concern of making the animations make sense, but what if the idea here was that you would need to exactly match your movement type to equip a battalion? And maybe your skill level in that would also be factored into something?

I think i'd kinda like it if that first bit was actually in the game. might help in making the battalions feel less like interchangeable stat sticks, and differentiate your units a bit too. although as it stands it would also nerf cavalry and especially armored units even further, so you'd probably need to rejigger the entire battalion selection while you're at it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1324149776028348416
this is what you miss by never using weapons on classes that don't have the appropriate ~faire for them!

Bearhugg
Nov 4, 2020

Walla posted:

The Deer turn out great if you base their final class around their hidden talents. So Swordmaster Lysithea, Falcon Marianne, Mage Ignatz ect.

Lorenz actually performs decently whether as a mage or a fighter but he's poo poo in mixed classes. Ignatz has heavier offensive magics but usually has the speed to double with them.

Great advice. With COVID, Three Houses might warrant another playthrough. :)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

I was looking at the battalion guild menu and the way your movement type skill (i.e. armor, riding or flying) gets highlighted when browsing it, and it made me wonder if there perhaps was a more involved mechanic here that didn't end up making the cut but this trace remains. We still have the bit where flying units can only equip flying battalions, which i honestly think might mostly be in concern of making the animations make sense, but what if the idea here was that you would need to exactly match your movement type to equip a battalion? And maybe your skill level in that would also be factored into something?

I think i'd kinda like it if that first bit was actually in the game. might help in making the battalions feel less like interchangeable stat sticks, and differentiate your units a bit too. although as it stands it would also nerf cavalry and especially armored units even further, so you'd probably need to rejigger the entire battalion selection while you're at it.

I’m almost certain that's a remnant of the original formation system

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amppelix posted:

this is what you miss by never using weapons on classes that don't have the appropriate ~faire for them!

She shot 3 arrows and only hit with 1????

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bearhugg posted:

Great advice. With COVID, Three Houses might warrant another playthrough. :)

Give it a shot. The Deer are probably the most versatile class so they're easy to mess with. I mean, work on getting Lysithea a bow rank and give her a Magic Bow + as an Assassin and she'd probably wreck everything. If you have the DLC classes that opens up even more options.

Also if you haven't done it, I think Ferdinand and Linhardt share Paralogues with 2 of the Deer students. I keep meaning to get to these things myself but I'm burnt out on 3 Houses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

She shot 3 arrows and only hit with 1????
the first two just hit off screen during the animation :ms:

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Amppelix posted:

That looks way cooler than the wyvern animation where the wyvern kind of squats down on the ground like it's taking a dump.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Remember: You deal more damage when you're shooting from higher up.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
That's just gravity, duh. It's basic physics.

If I take my Felix through Dark Bishop for Lifesteal and then go Mortal Savant, how much am I gonna regret it? I already played through Black Eagles so I feel like I can start playing wonkier builds in my Lions playthrough. I'm just not sure what the best path is for my edgy sword boy if I want him to end up as a Mortal Savant. Should I have him go Mage-Dark Bishop-Mortal Savant and use Levin Swords?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Cephas posted:

If I take my Felix through Dark Bishop for Lifesteal and then go Mortal Savant, how much am I gonna regret it? I already played through Black Eagles so I feel like I can start playing wonkier builds in my Lions playthrough. I'm just not sure what the best path is for my edgy sword boy if I want him to end up as a Mortal Savant. Should I have him go Mage-Dark Bishop-Mortal Savant and use Levin Swords?

Pretty much any sort've general advice request necessitates: What difficulty are you on?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Hard difficulty. I generally find Hard to be fairly easy (especially with NG+ carry overs), but some of those endgame maps are still pretty brutal on Hard. I'm not worried about minmaxing per se but I'd rather not invest effort into things like accumulating dark seals, training Felix's Reason etc. if it's just going to make him unusable

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I messed around with Mortal Savant Felix once on Hard and it was ultimately pretty alright, though I kinda put him through Warmaster too.

I wouldn't say it'll necessarily make him unusable on Hard even, he has decent speed and strength growth as is that running him through Mage classes and ending in Mortal Savant wont necessarily make him uncompetitive with enemies on hard and you can use him as a Sword based mixed attacker with other weapons on him, but he starts with a meh Magic Base and Growth. His spell list ends up the weakest part of him over all if you go this route but you plan on using a Levin Sword so thats basically Thoron-Lite. Try to max out his Sword rank as much as possible to try and stack Swordfaire at least to make up for not having Deathblow Access and/or the low Magic over all.

There's perks to having a mixed attacker sort've build in that even with lopsided magic versus strength they can make up for it by targeting the enemies weaker defensive stat depending.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 6, 2020

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Cool, I'll give him a shot as a weirdo hybrid attacker. Thanks!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
For what it’s worth, I used Sylvain as a mage when I played BL on hard, and he wound up being pretty useful. His spell list isn’t great but he gets a variety of them, and it’s handy to have a magician who can safely take hits in the enemy phase. He gets Physic too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nrook posted:

For what it’s worth, I used Sylvain as a mage when I played BL on hard, and he wound up being pretty useful. His spell list isn’t great but he gets a variety of them, and it’s handy to have a magician who can safely take hits in the enemy phase. He gets Physic too.

Sylvain's also natively faster than any of the traditional mage characters except Lysithea (who has the same speed), and he has better strength so he isn't weighed down as much.

For something interesting for folks to try, Ingrid has made a surprisingly good gremory for me. She doesn't have either skill strength, but her magic growth is equal to her strength growth, she has solid spell lists, and she's blazingly fast. She's also not a bad mortal savant candidate.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Generally I think the mage lines + innate faires + fiendish blow patch up the offensive magic decently enough on Felix/Sylvain to be fine to run. Do stick that path, and Levin Sword will do a lot of heavy lifting still, but it can work. I think a lot of people did Swordmaster -> Mortal Savant for Felix which does *not* give him good offensive magic often and compounds the issues with the end class.

Felix gets Restore and Recover his white list now that I see that which I think I'd argue is even way better than physic access, but he suffers as a mage from only having Thoron and Thunder as available spells, and Mortal Savant gives only the base per map usage, but they're worth having as part of his kit still and will be there at now cost so.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mixed Felix is great on Hard. He will be double-crit'ing the poo poo out of people from 3 spaces away with Thoron. It doesn't matter that his black spell list is 2 spells long. Thoron is all you need.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Today in weird game design quirks, I learned that if you save your game in the cemetery and then load up the game, you will spawn in the Reception Hall. As opposed to the Knight's Hall, where the game usually denotes people in or near the cemetery are on the map.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Mixed Felix is great on Hard. He will be double-crit'ing the poo poo out of people from 3 spaces away with Thoron. It doesn't matter that his black spell list is 2 spells long. Thoron is all you need.

Thoron is great the problem is unless he's a Warlock he burns through his uses in two combats that way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the biggest bummer with getting felix into mortal savant or warlock imo is that he learns absolutely nothing past C reason but you'll want to raise it to like B for acceptable odds of getting into the class (and reason proficiency too)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

help what do i do with Anna after paladin

the realistic options are
  • Pump bows for Bow Knight
  • Pump faith for Holy Knight
  • Absolutely nothing
  • Some wild other option???
bow knight is obviously the best choice but i already have like half my team using bows so I really don't need it, and I know holy knight sux but they have a sick outfit and this is Hard so it doesn't matter

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Doesn't Anna have Rescue? Rescue Bot Holy Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

she's going to have a maximum of like 4 rescue range at this rate so i'm not so sure about those prospects