Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So he suffers for us. He bears our pain in the most public way possible. He serves a timeless human need, one that goes back long before the time of Christ. Perhaps this has always been jeremy corbyns destiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

John rent-a-ghoul

Not putting anything past Starmer but it would be wild if just objectively pointing out relative press coverage vs material hardship of the plight of UK Jewish people and UK disabled people was literally made bannable within the party. Like future scholars have to just Cancel the wayback machine so Jessica Phillips Jr can continue pursuing party unity.

Jfc, even I think he’s being ridiculous. I thought at first that he was being ironic but he wasn’t. Of course it was weaponised. That isn’t the same as saying it didn’t exist or was exaggerated. (Yes, something can be weaponised, exaggerated, and still a serious matter that needs to be addressed).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Rent-a-tool is never ironic.
He is a big pillock. Yeah I know 'play the issue not the man' but I can't be assed. Everything he writes is tosh.

In other news: a friend has posted that apparently Shelters are to be closed during Lockdown2. He's linked to a radio show. I can't find any evidence for this on any other site so I think it's blx but does anyone know any different?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 3, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

forkboy84 posted:

Went to Tesco this evening because it's quieter (especially the bus) & boy do I regret that. Someone threw a cake at the bus on the way back & we had nearly 30 minutes of hanging around on a bus with the engine turned off & the door wide open while they got a replacement out at 10:30pm. In 5 degree weather. At least it wasn't windy.

In short, the wee scrotes that threw a cake at a bus & caused a minute fracture in the front windscreen can do one.

This Children of Men reboot sounds pretty grim

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

thespaceinvader posted:

The fines are immaterially small, so they do what they want and dgaf.

No poo poo pal.

Except I guess they also kind of know when to give a gently caress cos theres a whole industry designed to tell them when its economically viable to actually follow the rules or not.

forkboy84 posted:

In short, the wee scrotes that threw a cake at a bus & caused a minute fracture in the front windscreen can do one.

I think we can only increase regulation on cakes here. British bake off has a lot to answer for.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No poo poo pal.

Except I guess they also kind of know when to give a gently caress cos theres a whole industry designed to tell them when its economically viable to actually follow the rules or not.

I think we can only increase regulation on cakes here. British bake off has a lot to answer for.

perfidious albion has much to answer for indeed but you can take bake off from my cold dead flour-covered hands

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Boris quoting Keir's "moral duty to keep schools open" as a main pillar of his defence of the new lockdown, good work, very forensic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-54785665

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I support this. Ban the Bake Off

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The WHO tariff on dairy goods is an average of around 35%
So in two months time you may have your wish.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1323387853188009985

God drat hard left with their stalinist purges :allears:

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

I support this. Ban the Bake Off

Woah, let's not go nuclear here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Only good business is a co-op :colbert:

Mom and pop will guilt you and guilt you no matter how cheerful and “not like all the other small business owners” they are all “would you mind” and “I’m sorry we can’t” while they pay you minimum wage or worse, monthly but take the piss with overtime, and then they cheerfully get all exited about a new car or fancy holiday and tell the customers all about it in front of you.

At least lovely chain places pay you minimum wage for exactly the hours you work and don’t pretend that they are broke.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tangerines posted:

Woah, let's not go nuclear here.

Japanese week was last week

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Vitamin P posted:

Farage is probably the smartest political operator in the UK, context the Brexit Party isn't really a political party it was modelled on the Italian Five Star model but didn't even pretend at the direct democracy stuff, the Brexit Party is functionally a Patreon for Farage to get money, sell gold and maintain a public profile.

It's going to be a constantly shifting chimera thing for whatever the dumb latest culture war thing is, I honestly half-expected a redirection when Farage was calling BLM ISIS because both groups take issues with statues, but yeah it'll be Masks then probably race-to-the-bottom deregulation stuff then dismantling the welfare state then anti-climate refugee poo poo, whatever futurist stuff you think is most likely, Farage isn't selling policies he's selling a brand identity and he's set on making it a subscription service.

I'd probably give the title to Sturgeon tbh, advocating for right-wing culture war poo poo has some fairly large biases in its favour and despite his overexposure Farage has never managed to turn it into actual power for himself.

The existence of a Farage vehicle for this nonsense is inevitable, sure, I just think that specifically by May the lockdown argument will have been sorted one way or the other.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Roughly when will we have a good idea of how has won the election (UK time)?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Needs to try and stay relevant until the next crisis he can swoop in on, he'll be running a Luddite party by the end of the decade, complete with wispy beard and a moonshine still for photo opportunities.

Looking forward to the US election today. If Trump gets beat (I think he'll win) I wonder where all his supporters will flock to? Will they ditch electoralism and go full Q-cult or is the next fascist god child going to be Mike Pence or something?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jippa posted:

No one knows this year, there might be delays in votes being counted due to lots of early and postal voting this year.

In recent years generally we find out around 4-5am UK time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Vigil for Virgil posted:

No one knows this year, there might be delays in votes being counted due to lots of early and postal voting this year.

In recent years generally we find out around 4-5am UK time.

Also in normal times when they get to a certain amount of seats one of them concedes, lol if that orange gently caress will do that because you just know he’s going to string out the re-counts and legal poo poo for months.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

January.

hopefully

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1323560400865107969

Sweet jesus

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Also in normal times when they get to a certain amount of seats one of them concedes, lol if that orange gently caress will do that because you just know he’s going to string out the re-counts and legal poo poo for months.

Yeah there's no loving way the mango moron is going quietly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Yeah there's no loving way the mango moron is going quietly

Given that he's busy turning the White House into Führerbunker 2, I'd say not.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

YAY! 4 more years of nothing! 4 MORE YEARS OF NOTHING!!!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

Given that he's busy turning the White House into Führerbunker 2, I'd say not.
an optimist?
you think he's going to shoot himself in the head

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m getting so pissed off with middle class and retired twitter bleating about closing the schools when nothing has been set up for poor kids who will fail GCSEs and A levels if they do. See, the government stops giving money for your kids at 19, so yes, middle class kids can go to college for a re-do, poor kids can’t. Poor kids can’t afford the laptops needed for working from home, and the poorer you get the less likely it is that you are in an environment suitable for home learning - putting little Jessica in your home office is fine, but 14 year old Sam who has to share a bedroom with his 6 year old sister is going to have a bad time. But hey, it’s a sacrifice the middle classes are prepared to make, someone has to work the checkouts but it sure as poo poo better be Sam and not their Jessica.

/sigh

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sorry I might have missed the point, are you annoyed that middle class white people are bleating about schools being closed or not being closed?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If Biden wins (which I think he probably will), & Trump eventually leaves the White House, we can expect 4 years of absolutely nothing being done for BLM, poverty or healthcare, leading to escalating class & racial tension & the complete loss of confidence in any kind of political process, & the 2024 election will be a landslide for a suspiciously Argentinian sounding bloke named Hilter

e: see also, if Starmer wins the 2024 GE

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 3, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They want to close all the schools entirely, when they could just keep their own kids at home because there is literally nothing from stopping them.

Covid proverb “you can’t send an email to a loving fork lift truck”

edit: Covid proverb “lockdown 2 is middle class people working from home while poor people bring them stuff”

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kids home lives may be awful for learning but schools are being kept open so that all the people currently working in supermarkets can still be forced to go. If quality of education and life trajectories factored into the government's plans then they wouldnt have turned all the schools into Toby Young Academies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

If Biden wins (which I think he probably will), & Trump eventually leaves the White House, we can expect 4 years of absolutely nothing being done for BLM, poverty or healthcare, leading to escalating class & racial tension & the complete loss of confidence in any kind of political process, & the 2024 election will be a landslide for a suspiciously Argentinian sounding bloke named Hilter

e: see also, if Starmer wins the 2024 GE
But at the very least there's a marginally lower chance of a hard border in Ireland and British violence returning, which is better than :chaostrump: with Ed Miliband.

learnincurve posted:

I think IFTTT has a module for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0mEYIBFOPM

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I have mixed feelings towards Farage's new party.

On the one hand, he's going to pull voters away from the Tories which is ostensibly good for Labour.

On the other, he's going to drag the discourse further to the right and fire up a culture war Starmer has shown no interest in fighting, meaning he'll simply cede ground.

On balance I wish someone popular would set up a similar left-wing party to drag voters away from Labour and maybe shift them to the left.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I've sent and received emails whilst using the forks on my digger. And posted.

jabby posted:

On balance I wish someone popular would set up a similar left-wing party to drag voters away from Labour and maybe shift them to the left.

Marcus Rashford appears on the horizon.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

On the one hand, he's going to pull voters away from the Tories which is ostensibly good for Labour.
Not sure a single-issue anti lockdown party will be especially relevant in 2024

It's a ridiculous issue to set up a party for (even aside from how stupid that issue is), imo Farage is just feeling a bit sad he doesn't get invited onto the beeb as much these days

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1323233500602998784?s=19

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I think I mentioned this before, but at my sister's school they got given a bunch of laptops for kids to work from home. Most of them stayed in a cupboard because the parents were required to sign a form saying they'd pay £470 if the laptop was lost or damaged. One parent asked my sister if she knew how much extra power the laptop would use. Another asked if she could return it to school each evening and pick it up in the morning, because otherwise her boyfriend would definitely steal & sell it. One little boy wanted to know how long the battery lasts because he had the brilliant idea that he would work in his grandad's shed, because it's quiet in there. On the other side of the coin, a parent wrote in to say the school had "delivered an expectation of childcare which he expects to be fulfilled". He's a software developer who works from home anyway - he just likes the quiet.

I'm not even sure what point I'm making here other that really deep underlying social issues can't be suddenly fixed by loaning someone a laptop. Closing the schools just shines a light on awful poo poo that normally passes unnoticed.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Turns out forcing people to work 8+ hours a day removed focus from what's actually important in life if you are trying to raise a family.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Marcus Rashford appears on the horizon.
Corbyn was our Father Gapon. They have yet to acknowledge our Lenin.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sanford posted:

He's a software developer who works from home anyway - he just likes the quiet.

Whilst the rest of your post is some food for thought this is a bit off. There is more to working from home with children there than just needing them to be quiet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jabby posted:

I have mixed feelings towards Farage's new party.

Not when it matters, he won't. He'll do a deal with the Tories where they agree to do some of what he wants and then stand down in their seats.

Evidence: what happened pretty much exactly one year ago. Happier times (!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

They want to close all the schools entirely, when they could just keep their own kids at home because there is literally nothing from stopping them.

I mean, I don't want to argue against your overall point, but I think there's a potential fine of £60 per child, per parent, per day.

I wish that they would (could?) close schools, because it seems like a ridiculous transmission vector given that especially a lot of the younger kids don't really understand distancing (and some kids don't care?) but doing that doesn't happen in a vacuum and requires other supporting measures.