Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
There also seems to be a lot of using lead instead of led lately, as the past tense of, well, lead.

Not helped of course by the metal, lead.

And maybe also light emitting diodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

A discussion in another thread about Vegemite reminded me of this: My mother will not stop sending me jars of Marmite in the mail. She sends me packages every once in awhile which is a nice idea but they always have a jar of Marmite in them as well as weird stuff she found at thrift stores. Not even good weird stuff, just things like way too big shirts and costume jewelry which I can’t really wear. The Marmite specifically annoys me because I actually like it but there’s no way a human can finish the amount she sends without going into some kind of sodium coma so it goes to waste. I’ve told her so many times that I don’t need any more Marmite and I can literally get it myself from the grocery store down the street but NOPE, HERE’S MORE MARMITE! It’s starting to feel weirdly aggressive at this point. I know it lasts for like 5 years or some poo poo but what the hell, I still can’t finish it all before it goes off :pwn:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate it when I'm not really engaging with a conversation because I'm busy but the person who's talking to me keeps changing to new, completely inane subjects with extremely awkward segues like

"Hey man, did you get those TPS reports in?"

"Yep, all in" *continues typing*

"...so yeah, I think I like the new coffee in the break room, good stuff. I miss the dark roast we had my old job, though"

"yep, it's pretty good"

"...so yeah, I was thinking I might take a different route home today, Ward Rd can get really busy around rush hour and I think if I take Kipling I could avoid all that"

That's conversational terrorism. Stop it. Come shoot the poo poo with me when I look a little more bored?

HOLY gently caress posted:

A discussion in another thread about Vegemite reminded me of this: My mother will not stop sending me jars of Marmite in the mail. She sends me packages every once in awhile which is a nice idea but they always have a jar of Marmite in them as well as weird stuff she found at thrift stores. Not even good weird stuff, just things like way too big shirts and costume jewelry which I can’t really wear. The Marmite specifically annoys me because I actually like it but there’s no way a human can finish the amount she sends without going into some kind of sodium coma so it goes to waste. I’ve told her so many times that I don’t need any more Marmite and I can literally get it myself from the grocery store down the street but NOPE, HERE’S MORE MARMITE! It’s starting to feel weirdly aggressive at this point. I know it lasts for like 5 years or some poo poo but what the hell, I still can’t finish it all before it goes off :pwn:

This is my mother-in-law with dried cherries. Love her to death and love dried fruit, too, but we're giving this stuff away hand over fist and still have a huge stockpile. At least I can give it away, I don't know what I'd do with Marmite :ohdear:

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Oct 27, 2020

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Yeah, that’s what makes it even worse, if it was anything else I could donate it but I live in the US now and most people don’t know what Marmite is and would probably not want it (can’t blame them really) :saddowns:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Riatsala posted:

I hate it when I'm not really engaging with a conversation because I'm busy but the person who's talking to me keeps changing to new, completely inane subjects with extremely awkward segues like

"Hey man, did you get those TPS reports in?"

"Yep, all in" *continues typing*

"...so yeah, I think I like the new coffee in the break room, good stuff. I miss the dark roast we had my old job, though"

"yep, it's pretty good"

"...so yeah, I was thinking I might take a different route home today, Ward Rd can get really busy around rush hour and I think if I take Kipling I could avoid all that"

That's conversational terrorism. Stop it. Come shoot the poo poo with me when I look a little more bored?
A lot of people seem to have no capacity for entertaining themselves, so they force conversations on others instead of learning to either self-entertain or be okay with being bored sometimes.

I have no idea how people get like that, but I hate dealing with it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I often launch programs by opening the Start Menu and typing the program name, then hitting Enter to launch that program. Doing this with Zoom brings up "Uninstall Zoom" as the default option. I have uninstalled Zoom at least twice since Friday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Haifisch posted:

A lot of people seem to have no capacity for entertaining themselves, so they force conversations on others instead of learning to either self-entertain or be okay with being bored sometimes.

I have no idea how people get like that, but I hate dealing with it.

In my experience at work, it's always a boomer who for some reason thinks you really, really care about their lovely oppinions.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

I often launch programs by opening the Start Menu and typing the program name, then hitting Enter to launch that program. Doing this with Zoom brings up "Uninstall Zoom" as the default option. I have uninstalled Zoom at least twice since Friday.

Related: I usually launch programs this way, and steam etc add desktop shortcuts for games but not, for some reason, start menu shortcuts. This means if I install a game I basically immediately forget I even have it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

unwanted localization on websites and stuff. just because i browse from a certain country doesnt mean i want search results in that language. im browsing from holland but when i search something on duckduckgo i dont want dutch results, dutch is a small language so any sources in dutch are drawn from a much smaller pool of information, and are usually translated from english, i don't want to get dutch results unless i'm searching something explicitly in dutch

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

unwanted localization on websites and stuff.

Ye.
On top of the bullshit google has been doing purely to annoy people daring to use privacy/incognito mode, google has now started forcing all of my searches in incognito into norwegian. Every single wikipedia article, even ones spelled out in english tend to redirect to the norwegian result, if it exists.

Google will only give me english-primarily results if I'm logged in and have swapped google to english, or have a cookie to do so.
It feels like they do it explicitly to keep badgering people into just staying logged on all the time so they're easier to track. Don't loving redirect me to norwegian stuff unless I'm explicitly searching in norwegian.

Kinda like how GDPR led to incognito being insanely annoying to use due to the constant ALLOW COOKIES YES PLS. HERE'S A POPUP ABOUT PERMISSIONS FOR THE NTH TIME every single session when you visit most sites.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SubNat posted:

Ye.
On top of the bullshit google has been doing purely to annoy people daring to use privacy/incognito mode, google has now started forcing all of my searches in incognito into norwegian. Every single wikipedia article, even ones spelled out in english tend to redirect to the norwegian result, if it exists.

Google will only give me english-primarily results if I'm logged in and have swapped google to english, or have a cookie to do so.
It feels like they do it explicitly to keep badgering people into just staying logged on all the time so they're easier to track. Don't loving redirect me to norwegian stuff unless I'm explicitly searching in norwegian.

Kinda like how GDPR led to incognito being insanely annoying to use due to the constant ALLOW COOKIES YES PLS. HERE'S A POPUP ABOUT PERMISSIONS FOR THE NTH TIME every single session when you visit most sites.

yeah, browsing the web to me feels like im under siege. i refuse to cave in to the constant demand for chained logins and tracking poo poo so i use incognito half the time (when i dont want something to be fodder for further suggestions, specifically, like when i search for something kinda dumb or when i try to find some video suitable for kids and i dont want youtube suggestions for childrens songs for the rest of my life), then to get rid of the cookie requests and to get around certain paywalls i have an adblocker and a scriptkiller

browsing this way makes some things nicer to use but its also annoying when i need to go to a new website and whitelist some magical combination of scripts and targeted popup and overlay zapping so i dont have to agree to poo poo and i can still use the website. i wish it didnt have to be like this but theres really no middle ground between this and being tracked and advertised to

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i cant tell if the forced language searches are done out of a malicious intent to get me to log in or are just the result of most corporations being run by lovely monolinguals who cant empathize with polylinguals

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I feel like when GDPR rolled out, it should have had a clause going:
You're only allowed to do a popup blocking access to a specific part of the site, asking for permissions if they are critical to using it. (cookies for autologon, etc. Cross-site stuff for shared-logins, etc.)
Nonessential tracking + metrics have to be optional, in a settings menu, and flipped on without popups/etc leading people to them.

Etc etc.
ie: log onto a site, and it'll ask you to allow storing the login cookie, etc.
Meanwhile all the tracking and selling-data-to-our-partners have to be in an options menu somewhere, and not as a giant popup with 500 options to flip off.
And also 'casual language descriptions' of what certain things get used for.

login cookies: we use this to store your login information, to automatically log you in.
Connection to facebook: we need this to let you share stuff from our site to your facebook, etc.
Tracking data we're selling to like 500 different companies: uuuuuuuuuuhhhh .... metrics?

poo poo like cross-site tracking and analytics should be defaulted to off, with users actively having to enable them. Not default to on, with them actively trying to hinder users from disabling them.
That would have notably cut down on all that bullshit, though in practice it would probably just have meant more sites going 'loooool no this site can't be browsed in the EU.' (Though I guess it's most small, local, US sites that have done that, as far as I've seen.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate when a jargony word catches on here and everybody uses it instead of just the normal person word, like "ratfuck" for manipulating the election. just sounds kind of weird and stupid

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I don't understand people who just don't get satire. Twitter videos from folks like Brent Terhune or Blaire Erskine are immediately obvious to me that they're comedic characters doing comedy things.

Poe's Law is not a refuge from stupidity.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shibawanko posted:

i hate when a jargony word catches on here and everybody uses it instead of just the normal person word, like "ratfuck" for manipulating the election. just sounds kind of weird and stupid

A clear-cut case of cargo cult cognitive dissonance.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's the over-under on that being in good faith or just gaslighting?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My peeve for the past few months is that nobody knows what 'gaslighting' means anymore. It's not just a synonym for lying to or disagreeing with someone! :argh:

(not directed at Brawnfire, their post just reminded me of this)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Definitely been mentioned in this thread before, but the absolute worst example of that is loving "vidya"/"vidja" in reference to games. What purpose does it serve? Does spelling it like this coat your hobby in a layer of detached irony which makes you feel better about it? I don't get it at all, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Perfect Element posted:

Does spelling it like this coat your hobby in a layer of detached irony which makes you feel better about it?

Yes, because video games are for children

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Perfect Element posted:

Definitely been mentioned in this thread before, but the absolute worst example of that is loving "vidya"/"vidja" in reference to games. What purpose does it serve? Does spelling it like this coat your hobby in a layer of detached irony which makes you feel better about it? I don't get it at all, but it annoys the hell out of me.

I picked it up from an episode of King of the Hill a long rear end time ago, and mostly used it with a friend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In middle school me and my friends were saying poo poo like “smash vidya tonight?” to mean “shall we hang out and play some super smash brothers this Friday night?”

Basically King of the Hill is a documentary and vidya is a drat word

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How do we feel about bideo james?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i cant tell if the forced language searches are done out of a malicious intent to get me to log in or are just the result of most corporations being run by lovely monolinguals who cant empathize with polylinguals

For Google it's 100% the second option. Can't search for Japanese stuff on the main site because it will most likely return Chinese results due to the way they deal with CJK pages, can't search for English stuff on .co.jp because of weightings, and then there's the "helpful" translation of search queries and then results in the wrong language that you mentioned.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

For Google it's 100% the second option. Can't search for Japanese stuff on the main site because it will most likely return Chinese results due to the way they deal with CJK pages
Add "の" (in quotes) to your J queries to filter out Chinese results! :eng101:

Edit to avoid a double post: Macaroons are not macarons! :mad:

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Nov 5, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When videos (TV shows, YouTubes, whatever) have text that's legible but appears on-screen for far less time than it takes to actually read it. Especially if it looks like I'm supposed to read it. Because I am going to rewind and pause to read it and it's almost never worth it but why the gently caress is it even there if I'm not supposed to read it?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because TVs now give high enough resolution that you can read those things, and they don't want to appear on "You won't believe how loving stupid the props departments on these shows were" lists.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sunswipe posted:

Because TVs now give high enough resolution that you can read those things, and they don't want to appear on "You won't believe how loving stupid the props departments on these shows were" lists.
I'm not talking about background details, like a paper sitting on a table or whatever. I mean times where the bit of paper is actually the focus; instead of having a character pick it up and read the relevant bit out loud, they cut to the paper and expect you to just read the title or whatever, but there's more text there that you're not supposed to have time to read but you do have time to read just far enough that you're annoyed you didn't get to finish it.

Or (in YouTube videos) there's some aside like "I have anticipated your response to this and I am aware of the thing you're about to bring up in the comments" where I don't care about that but it was only on-screen for a second and I wasn't expecting it so I didn't read it and now I've got to go back and make sure it wasn't something actually worth reading.

Also, isn't showing up on those lists of mistakes basically just free advertising anyway?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Add "の" (in quotes) to your J queries to filter out Chinese results! :eng101:

You just get the weeb results. Also Taiwanese results where using の is very fashionable right now (I think it was Taiwanese? One of the Chinese speaking countries anyway)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

When videos (TV shows, YouTubes, whatever) have text that's legible but appears on-screen for far less time than it takes to actually read it. Especially if it looks like I'm supposed to read it. Because I am going to rewind and pause to read it and it's almost never worth it but why the gently caress is it even there if I'm not supposed to read it?

My peeve is the opposite. I can pause to read. When text is on screen for WAY TOO LONG bc they assume viewers have the reading speed of a kindergartener, or show the text then also read it out loud (which is always slower than just letting the viewer read it!)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think the voice of the character who wrote it should always be dubbed over it with heavy reverb

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

I think the voice of the character who wrote it should always be dubbed over it with heavy reverb

Everything should be read by Werner Herzog.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Covid has increased incidences of something I hate: people using the car horn as a "I'm here, come outside" signal. Repeatedly.

We all have phones, I know these motherfuckers have phones because they turn their bluetooth speakers up full blast and then wander away.

Edit: I guess I'm just generally pissed at people with no awareness of how much noise they're making. Now that I think about it, this family also has a guy who tears rear end down the street on his motorcycle, a kid with one of those drat moped things, has thrown a house party with a DJ several times since quarantine started, and they have a dog that hates its life and tells us all about that.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Nov 7, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate noisy people and think they should all be fined or jailed yeah

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

i hate noisy people and think they should all be fined or jailed yeah

:hai:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My neighbors scream and whoop and bang on things during sports, sometimes so hard that it rattles the whole building. They're Steelers fans which is bad enough, but they watch sports 24/7 and scream about it no matter what team is playing. And it scares their dog so it's always whining and crying. I hate them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the thing i hate the most are kids with portable bluetooth speakers playing lovely music

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My neighbors are loud as poo poo at all times and yell everything. I'm indoors across the street and I can still hear most of what they say to each other. This isn't them having a fight or anything either, this is their normal dinnertime conversations. They also have a dog that barks continuously for 20 hours a day, which they handle by having someone yell COME HERE SHUT UP COME HERE SHUT UP COME HERE SHUT UP at it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My upstairs neighbor once had a party where they played a song loud enough that every word of the lyrics was understandable then played it again four more times a few times while standing on the balcony screaming along.

Then moved out and rented the place out as an Air Bnb and then it was a few months of confused tourists rattling our door handle in the middle of the night because they weren't sure what floor they were on until the block put a ban on Air Bnb.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

the thing i hate the most are kids with portable bluetooth speakers playing lovely music

Those things are the worst because as I mentioned before, nobody seems to stick around when they're using one. They turn on their favorite music, turn it WAY UP, then walk away so you g t an oy ng gaps n s g you p b d n h r in the first pl