Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What about when someone foreign comes here?

Like we could go on like this forever so I'll stop.

Are you serious or trolling? People coming in go onto quarantine or they get massive fines. This exact policy is working elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm really fortunate in that me and the missus had the time to devote to teaching our kids at home, and that we have multiple computers available for them to work at simultaneously etc- a lot of families aren't in the same position

And it was still really challenging because teaching is a loving hard job. Even when you can threaten turning off the wifi or hide the chocolate biscuits. It takes time and effort and resources that aren't being made available and simply won't be made available because the government can blame parents and schools through the press for free- or claim concerns for the mental health of kids after refusing to do anything to fix childhood mental health services for a decade+

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The problem with gutting social care, housing, mental health provision, and community programmes, and turning schools into centralised hubs to run your MASH teams from, is that when there’s a pandemic, you’re poo poo out of luck.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

mediaphage posted:

Are you serious or trolling? People coming in go onto quarantine or they get massive fines. This exact policy is working elsewhere.

Yeah, but proper quarantine. They go into a few hotels that are controlled by local health bodies and stay there until they are given the all clear, not the current system of letting them make their own way to wherever the gently caress they're going via public transport and nothing to ensure they actually go where they say.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Not a number is right, sadly this disease cannot be defeated and the UK government is truly trying it's best and despite our world beating system even we can't handle it

They could make these great points all day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're completely unhinged

https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1323261337791770624?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Cancel exams, give everyone As, tell people they can send their kids to school or not, spend the time letting teachers teach whatever they want.

I loving wish they'd cancel exams.

I have an important exam coming up, that involves examining real patients and usually takes a few months to properly revise for. The last time I was due to take it was before the last lockdown, and they cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.

They just sent out an email saying they will "try" to run the exams despite lockdown, but if they realise the day before (or on the day) that they don't have enough consultants or patients they'll just cancel at the last minute.

Cool, cool. Not like I have to book a hotel and coach trip to get to the loving exam, or spend the next two weeks revising several hours a day, AGAIN, when you're almost certain to cancel at the last minute, AGAIN. But of course if you cancelled them now, you'd have to give back everyone's £650 entry fee. Fuckers.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mediaphage posted:

This is what Australia is doing but without fines.
Everybody coming into the country goes straight into hotel quarantine (except for allowed people arriving from NZ). However, only Australian citizens and permanent residents are allowed into the country and there is a cap on how many can come each week, currently 4000 a week but due to rise soon, so that capacity isn’t overwhelmed. Each returning traveller pays AU$3000 for their quarantine stay. A facility near Darwin has just started taking people from repatriation flights from the UK, India and South Africa so that more people can come home.
The whole system is tightly managed, but it’s not perfect and it was a failure in the system that lead to the outbreak in Victoria which caused the 111 day lockdown there.
The UKs borders are still open aren’t they? Do you have the facilities to quarantine everyone that comes in the same way Australia is?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Helith posted:

The UKs borders are still open aren’t they? Do you have the facilities to quarantine everyone that comes in the same way Australia is?

We have heaps of empty hotels ala the Australia and NZ system, an incredible health service, an army of people who could become trained to work in these facilities, but we don't have leadership.

As said above, people come in and 'quarantine' at their destination. Which could be 5 or 6 hours on public transport from the airport.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what the lorry parks are for.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Seesaws and spiral slides for HGVs

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ratjaculation posted:

We have heaps of empty hotels ala the Australia and NZ system, an incredible health service, an army of people who could become trained to work in these facilities, but we don't have leadership.

As said above, people come in and 'quarantine' at their destination. Which could be 5 or 6 hours on public transport from the airport.

In the Aus system there would only be about 20-30 people arriving on each flight and they are taken by bus straight to their quarantine hotel from the airport. They are tested 3 times during their stay and the overseas quarantine positive cases are counted separately from local cases.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Helith posted:

In the Aus system there would only be about 20-30 people arriving on each flight and they are taken by bus straight to their quarantine hotel from the airport. They are tested 3 times during their stay and the overseas quarantine positive cases are counted separately from local cases.

What if you have your own plane?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://twitter.com/no1guncle/status/1323366218296889349

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What if you have your own plane?

If you are rich enough to have your own plane, I’m pretty sure the cap doesn’t apply to you, but you still have to quarantine. Peter Dutton will probably allow you to do it at your mansion though.
Anyway, I’ve been catching up on this thread because I emigrated from the UK about 8 years ago but my elderly parents live up in the north west and things are looking hairy up there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Not when it matters, he won't. He'll do a deal with the Tories where they agree to do some of what he wants and then stand down in their seats.

Evidence: what happened pretty much exactly one year ago. Happier times (!)

Supporters should be reminded repeatedly of how he scammed more than a few out of £50 each paid to walk on the 'jarrow' march (or whatever it was) - which he turned up for approx half a day IIRC. Then all those who put up £500 of their own money to stand for election in GE2019 but then he pulled them all and they simply lost their £500.

I actually felt sorry for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have a lot more sympathy than me.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

After someone posted that video the other day from the Northern Independence Party I reckon I'll be backing them now. It seems to have more teeth to it than just the 'northern powerhouse' slogan and squabbling councils, and even if it has enough of a vote share to make Labour listen I'd be happy with that. Their twitter is also good: https://twitter.com/freenorthnow

Hate the flag though

e: lol

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1321949293255811072

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 3, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if you fly into this country on your own plane then good news, you only have to quarantine for a few minutes in front of a nice wall

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

justcola posted:

After someone posted that video the other day from the Northern Independence Party I reckon I'll be backing them now. It seems to have more teeth to it than just the 'northern powerhouse' slogan and squabbling councils, and even if it has enough of a vote share to make Labour listen I'd be happy with that. Their twitter is also good: https://twitter.com/freenorthnow

Hate the flag though

They want to nationalise greggs. For the new nation of the north.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

That's what the lorry parks are for.

Priti is against people quarantining in lorries.

I've been meaning to ask, what option is there now for a leftist that won't vote for Starmer's Labour? I used to vote Green but people keep saying they're poo poo, the SWP are apparently just a shield for rapists etc so there doesn't seem much other option.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 3, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Where do you build the wall though?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lungboy posted:

Priti is against people quarantining in lorries.

I've been meaning to ask, what option is there now for a leftist that won't vote for Starmer's Labour? I used to vote Green but people keep saying they're poo poo, the SWP are apparently just a shield for rapists etc so there doesn't seem much other option.

Depends what constituency you're in. Like if you're in Islington North you should probably still vote for "Starmer's Labour", for example.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess yeah, you'd have to check what your local candidates are like. If they're neolib shithouses then gently caress em, if they're actually decent people then you might as well vote for them.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gort posted:

Depends what constituency you're in. Like if you're in Islington North you should probably still vote for "Starmer's Labour", for example.

You should vote for the Independent MP, Jeremy Corbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/NeilHarding/status/1323573414708285441

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I am also incredibly impressed with Starmer, I expected him to be a melt oval office & a traitor from the get-go but jfc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

I am also incredibly impressed with Starmer, I expected him to be a melt oval office & a traitor from the get-go but jfc

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I guess yeah, you'd have to check what your local candidates are like. If they're neolib shithouses then gently caress em, if they're actually decent people then you might as well vote for them.

Yeah I'm torn. On the one hand, my local MP is Nadia Whittome who is pretty Correct as far as I can tell, but at the same time I don't want to endorse Starmer in the loving slightest.

e: for all that this matters, next vote is in 4 years lol

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

justcola posted:

Hate the flag though

e: lol

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1321949293255811072

I'm still not sure whether the guy running it is in earnest or just trying to bring attention to the lovely treatment of the north. Either way I'm pretty sure he isn't just joking. Seems to have a more serious policy platform and better thought out plan than plenty of supposed proper politicians, and I'm all for it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Its getting on my nerves the way some people talk about COVID. In work on Sunday I heard a few people talking about how less than 1% of infected will die so what's the point of the lockdowns? Apart from the 1% dying few people seem to be thinking about the people that, while they'll recover from the disease, will have life long detrimental effects caused by it. It's as if they think once they're well everyone will just walk it off.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

Its getting on my nerves the way some people talk about COVID. In work on Sunday I heard a few people talking about how less than 1% of infected will die so what's the point of the lockdowns? Apart from the 1% dying few people seem to be thinking about the people that, while they'll recover from the disease, will have life long detrimental effects caused by it. It's as if they think once they're well everyone will just walk it off.

I mean, even "only 1% will die" is a poor argument, you don't even need to get into long covid.

1% is 6 million people incidentally, a very interesting number, maybe if they don't care about 6 million people dying they need to look at themselves in the mirror? :hitler:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I mean, even "only 1% will die" is a poor argument, you don't even need to get into long covid.

1% is 6 million people incidentally, a very interesting number, maybe if they don't care about 6 million people dying they need to look at themselves in the mirror? :hitler:

1% of the UK population is certainly a lot of people to allow to die, but I think you might want to double check your maths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

660 thousand, ish, as the UK does not have 660 millilon people in it, despite what the mail would have you believe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I never really hear the media talking about long covid, so it doesn't surprise me that people think you'll just get over it with no further issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

1% of the UK population is certainly a lot of people to allow to die, but I think you might want to double check your maths.

Whoops! I'd make a terrible hitler

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Margaret Hodge :negative:

Not that she needs my vote.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I never really hear the media talking about long covid, so it doesn't surprise me that people think you'll just get over it with no further issues.

They don't talk about long covid and the future disaster it's going to cause and about anything to do with the amount of transmission occurring at workplaces. The implication they can't acknowledge is the twin issues of people being forced to choose between homelessness and a deadly disease and the very act of 'getting everyone back to work' is actually making things worse and making it last much longer.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

bessantj posted:

It's pretty cool that people are willing to let thousands of others die so they can get back to their mediocre hobbies and meet their friends in pubs so they can all sit in a circle going on their phones. I don't really like the idea of my parents buried in a mass grave just in time for Christmas, I guess half these poo poo heads forget for the last 3 winters there's been reports of patients lying down in hospital corridors and that - this year the NHS will be tested to the limit. Even everyday accidents will suddenly become life threatening.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm still not sure whether the guy running it is in earnest or just trying to bring attention to the lovely treatment of the north. Either way I'm pretty sure he isn't just joking. Seems to have a more serious policy platform and better thought out plan than plenty of supposed proper politicians, and I'm all for it.

Seems legit so far, dodging Brexit, not going all-in on the racism - more left than Labour atm, what's not to like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well I think they mean 1% of people that will catch COVID rather than the whole of the U.K. But yeah <1% dying is still a poor argument. I did manage to shut one tory guy up who went on about the labs loving up the testing by saying "Well that's what you get when the tories want to funnel money into the pockets of their friends instead of actually trying to help the nation."