Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The only real problem there is that the vast majority of the skill checks in the game are passive and invisible. But that's pretty much the way I played first time through anyway, yeah.

I’ve got Shivers and Physical Instrument up to 12/10, so I’ve been leaning on those a lot. I’ll probably go back and do a Psyche and Intellect build after this, but my goal this time is just to get through the game as a free wheeling super cop.

I just got a little Savoire Faire dialogue that wanted me to be like a free market capitalist? How are those things connected? I thought that skill was about being smooth socially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve got Shivers and Physical Instrument up to 12/10, so I’ve been leaning on those a lot. I’ll probably go back and do a Psyche and Intellect build after this, but my goal this time is just to get through the game as a free wheeling super cop.

I just got a little Savoire Faire dialogue that wanted me to be like a free market capitalist? How are those things connected? I thought that skill was about being smooth socially.

Are you saying being the baddest hustler in the neoliberal hood ISN'T being smooth, socially?

Also taking that thought literally conjures small amounts of money in your pockets every time you say something in support of capitalism and/or the free market.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

it is a misconception that skills have their own ideologies; rather, they have ideological affinities, so to speak

Savoir-faire is a French expression that refers to do things with refinement, excellence, taste; it is about looking and acting like you are out of a Giorgio Armani ad, and ridiculously expensive fine shoes that are worth more than half a year's salary are only possible in capitalism!

the only skill that seems far out in those moments is Empathy for Moralism when advocating the Kingdom of Conscience. Given the whole sinister overtones that the game makes about it, that skill being its advocate is just... sinister

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it is a misconception that skills have their own ideologies; rather, they have ideological affinities, so to speak

Savoir-faire is a French expression that refers to do things with refinement, excellence, taste; it is about looking and acting like you are out of a Giorgio Armani ad, and ridiculously expensive fine shoes that are worth more than half a year's salary are only possible in capitalism!

the only skill that seems far out in those moments is Empathy for Moralism when advocating the Kingdom of Conscience. Given the whole sinister overtones that the game makes about it, that skill being its advocate is just... sinister

I always connected that with the idea of centrism not being willing to do much, if anything, to lessen the suffering of those less fortunate but very visibly and performatively feeling bad for what they're going through

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also volition is a better communist than rhetoric.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Also volition is a better communist than rhetoric.

The Noah Caldwell-Gervais video posted above has a pretty good description of the Rhetoric skill where it represents a guy who's learned all the words but none of the meaning. It's someone who gets really into theory because they think it will bolster their arguments but they don't argue to actually try to change anyone's mind about anything, they argue just to be right.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

christmas boots posted:

I always connected that with the idea of centrism not being willing to do much, if anything, to lessen the suffering of those less fortunate but very visibly and performatively feeling bad for what they're going through

It's this: I currently have a left wing pm who is incredibly vocal about kindness but is not going to do diddly hopefully I'm wrong

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rhetoric is a Sophist.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Robert Kurvitz posted:

Rhetoric is your ability to debate. Nitpick, make intellectual discourse. It doesn’t need to be an argument, you can just shoot off your mouth and take hearty pleasure from it. But let’s be honest – mostly Rhetoric just bickers. About politics. All political discourse falls under Rhetoric. You can mold it into a weapon of fascist sable rattling, evicting potato-loving kojkos and deformed himean pygmees left to right. Rid Revachol of aliens in transit! Or become the ultimate liberast (perpetrator of the sin of liberasty), extolling free trade and slimy personal freedoms at the expense of the downtrodden. This is achieved through researching political projects in your Thought Cabinet, then having them supercharge your Rhetoric skill. A souped up, ideologically informed Rhetoric is an impressive beast, but it gets you into trouble. The twist here is that Rhetoric – our persuasion ability – doesn’t really persuade anyone. Most of the time it just makes you new enemies. While your beliefs calcify.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhetoric is Ben Shapiro, got it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For a while I thought the political alignments were related to your stats but clearly that’s not the case. I reasoned that the game’s crafted deep enough that people with higher authority stats for example would lean more fascist or communist. But authority isn’t “authoritarian” and religious leaders can have great authority without being pushy, for example.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the word of the day is liberasty

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Only thing I disagree with him about is that Kim is a moralist. Kim goes out of his way to indicate he is not, in fact, a moralist, although he used to be.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Fear! Aggression! Half Light is your fight or flight response. This one’s definitely the chattiest of the bunch. Not only does he mix well with a high Physical Instrument, telling you to smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, Half Light also has some pretty keen observations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

EorayMel posted:

Fear! Aggression! Half Light is your fight or flight response. This one’s definitely the chattiest of the bunch. Not only does he mix well with a high Physical Instrument, telling you to smash everyone in the face before they strangle you in your sleep, Half Light also has some pretty keen observations.

Holy poo poo, is this Harry kicking the ever loving poo poo out of a senile old homeless woman?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in his imagination

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo, is this Harry kicking the ever loving poo poo out of a senile old homeless woman?

It's Harry planning to kick the poo poo out of a homeless old woman.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
if harry were an american cop he'd have half-light maxed out and would keep trying to put points in it even when it wouldn't let him

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Only thing I disagree with him about is that Kim is a moralist. Kim goes out of his way to indicate he is not, in fact, a moralist, although he used to be.

Kim is kind of an idealist moralist. He believes in the things that Moralism is supposed to be about rather than the things it actually is about. He's disillusioned from the Moralintern but still believes in the core principles. It's like a Christian who has turned away from the church but not because they've lost their faith, they've just lost their trust in the institution.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kim Kitsuragi is Lutheran

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's implied that Kim used to have revolutionary leanings as a young man before growing up and mellowing into a moralist which he's also since become disillusioned by. He's perfect for radicalization.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They imply the whole RCM has the potential to be radicalized.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's very important that Kim's reaction to seeing the Phasmid is to want to share its existence with others, by taking the photo. He may be skeptical and disillusioned sometimes, but he is still open to hope, and on seeing it he wants to spread it to others.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They imply the whole RCM has the potential to be radicalized.

It is heavily implied, if not outright stated, that the RCM is an actual revolutionary organization that has been laying low for a few decades.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the rise of the cop regime

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PYF is slamming today

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i like cuno and hobbes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

wiegieman posted:

It is heavily implied, if not outright stated, that the RCM is an actual revolutionary organization that has been laying low for a few decades.

It's too bad more people don't take a look at the RCM and how you're a cop but the way the police as an institution is structured in Reavchol means your status as a cop is completely different than it is in our world.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dreylad posted:

It's too bad more people don't take a look at the RCM and how you're a cop but the way the police as an institution is structured in Reavchol means your status as a cop is completely different than it is in our world.

RCM seems like it’s entirely detectives, which is a different thing from just “cops”

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just finished a first playthrough of this as a superstar/sorry communist/moralist cop with a broad skillset of 5-8 points in a million skills, mostly intelligence and psyche (plus perception and composure).

Incredible game. I can't decide if I want to shelf it for a bit or immediately start a new playthrough as a drunken violence cop.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

EorayMel posted:

Good old Half-Light. Always correct, and always has everyone's best interest at heart.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What happens if all your skills are perfectly average? I know high and low stats can both give bad advice - do you just Colombo the story successfully and go through it normal and bland?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

What happens if all your skills are perfectly average? I know high and low stats can both give bad advice - do you just Colombo the story successfully and go through it normal and bland?

Say one of the communist or fascist things or gently caress off.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Say one of the communist or fascist things or gently caress off.

Nah, I'm already an Unbelievably Boring gently caress and the World's Most Laughable Centrist, so I want to double down on this

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Sounds like you need to double down on having thoughts, then immediately forgetting them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I haven’t nailed this down yet, but I’m sensing some influence from Cultist Simulator in this game. I still need to finish it though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I haven’t nailed this down yet, but I’m sensing some influence from Cultist Simulator in this game. I still need to finish it though.

The uh... Lovecraft card game plate spinning simulator? On the chill visual-novel-cast-as-point-and-click-adventure-game?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah, but I still don’t know what The Pale is so I’m not sure.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's that bit where you summon the spirit of Communism by dividing Cuno into seven parts with the knife you find in the red-chair shack at precisely 4:20am, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Yeah, but I still don’t know what The Pale is so I’m not sure.

It's dank rear end weed smoke from Garbadol the Stoner at the End of Time.