Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I think there is a small chance Biden is winning so convincingly we just get a tired Trump whining at midnight rather than calling for violence and demanding SCOTUS steal the election.

The former would be cool. I would like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The quintessential NoVa experience - you run to the Safeway off Lee Highway to grab some chicken stock Thanksgiving morning and you can't pull in because not only are all the spaces full, but several people have just parked and left their Range Rovers in the middle of the lot, blocking all the lanes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Out of curiosity, to anyone who is voting today: why today and not like, two weeks ago by mail or early or whatever other method?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

metachronos posted:

This is purely anecdotal but I've seen 10+ of my left friends post on FB about how they just voted. I would have assumed they would have voted by mail. I'll laugh my rear end off if the "red mirage" never even shows up.

Like I mentioned earlier I think a lot of people are concerned that if they don’t vote in person on election day their vote wont count.

Voting went from something you would do if you got around to it to something your entire existence depended on.

People would crawl over glass to vote this gently caress out with their own blood on the ballot if they had to.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Harlock posted:

It isn't a general election in Georgia if the voting machines don't break

https://twitter.com/cbs46/status/1323616434816245761

Toss the machines and just use paper ballots, my loving god.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Inglonias posted:

Either he was on something very strong or he pulled the best impression ever last night. Either way, this is a hell of a thing.

quote:

YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT CRAZY LOOKS LIKE? I'VE GOT MARSHMALLOW FLUFF AND THREE FEET OF GARDEN HOSE! YOU WANNA DANCE?

I mean, lol.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gripweed posted:

Your PM was the mayor of London years before Trump entered politics. You can't blame us for Johnson, that's all you.

Our own blubbering pissbaby leader was born in manhattan and only renounced his US citizenship like 5 years ago because he owed a bunch of tax lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that shits the most obvious 'lol im ~on something~' gimmick ever

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
Voted at 9am in Brooklyn.

There were about 10x more poll workers than their were voters at that time and the poll workers were doing their best to turn election day into a suprespreader event.

Tiny indoor room. About 20 poll workers excitedly talking and yelling, I could practically feel the spit mist. Everyone who steps into that polling place is going to get exposed. Thank god I already had Covid.

ReidRansom posted:

Out of curiosity, to anyone who is voting today: why today and not like, two weeks ago by mail or early or whatever other method?

I wasn't in town and couldn't pick up my mail ballot or visit an early vote center.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Arlington is super blue though. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

B B fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 3, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

do NOT bring this negative bullshit in to this thread

Apologize, QUICKLY

Sorry, sorry, I'm trying to remove it

quote:

Northern Virginia is still a shithole though, sorry to say

I live in Northern VA and the neighborhoods around me are all Biden signs no Trump ones, so there's that

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ReidRansom posted:

My state has a set number of excuses for absentee ballots. I would've had to lie. I have no excuse*, so I voted in person.

*from the list

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

ReidRansom posted:

I do not trust it, very simply. (We don't have early in person voting here so it's only by mail)

I live in suburbia and there will be no lines but I'll be damned if I don't watch my ballot get collected.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

It's only a portion of the country that allows for easy early voting and given the postal service fuckery, voting in person was the best way to make sure it counts. What I expect to see is urban ballots cast today to be close to an even split with the early ballots being a flood.

Interestingly enough, Texas didn't really expand its mail in voting at all this year. Over 90% of the mountain of early votes were cast in person. So for Texas this isn't really any different than any other election. So I expect results from Texas fairly quickly once the polls close.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

It took me 5 minutes to vote. In person early voting always had long lines because there were far fewer polling stations. And I am in a state that’s poo poo for mail voting so yeah.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

The quintessential NoVa experience - you run to the Safeway off Lee Highway to grab some chicken stock Thanksgiving morning and you can't pull in because not only are all the spaces full, but several people have just parked and left their Range Rovers in the middle of the lot, blocking all the lanes.

That is why you live in Maryland, where everyone is more civilized.

At least in Montgomery County, can't really speak for the rest of the state.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ReidRansom posted:

I think DeJoy's USPS shenanigans really scared some people. Also, for places like Pennsylvania with the ridiculous extra privacy envelope and "need to bring in your mail-in ballot to the election place void it if you vote in person" hurdles, I think I'd have just gone in person on Election Day too if I wasn't able to stick my ballot in the mailbox 3 weeks or so in advance.

Early in person drop off would be the absolute best, but sometimes your schedule gets away from you.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

People I've talked to that didn't use the mail or a box or early dropoff said they want to do it by hand because they want to make sure their vote is counted (one guy just wants to show off with a sticker, probably).

Then I told them you get a receipt when your ballot is received since its tracked (and a sticker in the mail) and they had no idea about that.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

If I’m reading this correctly, Election Day voting is 50/50 in Broward County which is historically very Blue and Hillary won 66% in 2016. If we assume early voting will skew heavy Dem, then 50/50 for today’s votes would be good news. Do I have that right?

Yes. We've known for a few weeks the CHUDS are not early voting because demented orange daddy told them not too. So we fully expect CHUDS to be over-represented today. However, if we can keep the margins tight, then that would be very good news because Democrats will blow them out once the early votes are counted.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

Arlington is super blue though. :confused:

It is also a soulless hell of chain retail and expensive condos. In Richmond the weirdness hasn't been totally priced out yet.

To put it another way, Richmond has Purple Dog Lady, Chocolate Tarzan, Parrot Guy, Happy, T-Pot Bridge Burpee Guy, Sign-Twirler, Frankentrout, Jingles, Martin K, Karaoke Elvis, among others I am forgetting. RIP Bag Head, Dirtwoman, Grady & Pete, and Duckman. Ain't none of those folks in Arlington.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darko posted:

People I've talked to that didn't use the mail or a box or early dropoff said they want to do it by hand because they want to make sure their vote is counted (one guy just wants to show off with a sticker, probably).

Then I told them you get a receipt when your ballot is received since its tracked (and a sticker in the mail) and they had no idea about that.

Wait do you actually get stickers for voting in the US? Like they hand them out at the polling place?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

Wait do you actually get stickers for voting in the US? Like they hand them out at the polling place?

Yes and it is a sizable part of people voting at all

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This was the first year I've ever gotten a sticker when I voted

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

In a lot of places yeah.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

hell yes you get a sticker

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

OwlFancier posted:

Worked for the dentist, works for the polls.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I did it by mail and received no sticker. I did get one with my mail-in primary ballot in the summer, though.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

OwlFancier posted:

People were pretty upset this year that they didn't get a sticker when they voted by mail.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
request absentee ballot, get sticker, throw ballot away

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yuzenn posted:

I do not trust it, very simply. (We don't have early in person voting here so it's only by mail)

I live in suburbia and there will be no lines but I'll be damned if I don't watch my ballot get collected.

Does your state have a mail in ballot tracker? That's what I used to ensure my ballot was received/accepted. Or do you not trust that either?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I didn't get a sticker :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

There's your problem.

Now if you live on or south of Columbia Pike, it's remarkably better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SolusLunes posted:

Worked for the dentist, works for the polls.

They should give out suckers like they do at the barber shop

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BrainDance posted:

Same, I'll be up maybe 8pm America time.

And, sorta like everyone drinking I got insomnia so I take mirtazapine before bed, because the strong stuff like ambien just gets to my head. Usually I take 2/3rds a pill. Tonight I took a whole pill! Gonna be a real wild night.

I swear nothing helps me sleep. I'm on three things right now all with side effects of "may make you drowsy" and... NOTHING.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
I actually got a sticker when I handed in my mail ballot in person at the Board of Elections.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The sticker thing is one more reason why USA is the country of morbidly overgrown toddlers

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

get your voting sticker laminated so you can wear it every day.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not only did I get a sticker, I got a stylus that told people I voted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Failed Imagineer posted:

The sticker thing is one more reason why USA is the country of morbidly overgrown toddlers

You're not supposed to eat them