Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put enough LEDs on it and get it spinning fast enough and you could use it to display images. Goatse hovering over you at all times like the sword of Damocles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Put enough LEDs on it and get it spinning fast enough and you could use it to display images. Goatse hovering over you at all times like the sword of Damocles.

A whole-ceiling trompe l'oeil (I'm not looking up if I spelled that right) goatse.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elviscat posted:

They make remote junction box LED "can" lights that are 5/8" deep, so you can fit them under joists.

What a wonderful world we live in.

Yeah, but for cheaper, you could notch the bottoms of your joists :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A whole-ceiling trompe l'oeil (I'm not looking up if I spelled that right) goatse.
Trump lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, but for cheaper, you could notch the bottoms of your joists :v:

Well, you can notch them a little, as a treat

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's got to be a reddit thread or imgur gallery featuring a ceiling fan with recessed lights behind the blades.

Jesus even thinking of the concept deeply annoys me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Some fans come with a light in the main base, in addition to the light kit below the blades. I used to have one in my bedroom. It is exactly as annoying as you can imagine, the strobe is maddening.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just have the lights in the blades.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just have the lights in the blades.

like just glue a bunch of those bicycle LED lights on your fan so when if spins they turnon !

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I hate to interrupt fan chat, but I told my family about the tiny digger and somebody found this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-hp-towable-backhoe-62365.html

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I hate to interrupt fan chat, but I told my family about the tiny digger and somebody found this:

It's so CUTE!

Also don't put recessed cans in your roof dummies, use the pancake boxes with LED flush-mounts or some nice track lights. :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sloppy posted:

It's so CUTE!

Also don't put recessed cans in your roof dummies, use the pancake boxes with LED flush-mounts or some nice track lights. :colbert:

No, don't do that, track lights look like poo poo, pancake boxes were spit directly from Satan's rear end in a top hat.

Do this

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Elviscat posted:

No, don't do that, track lights look like poo poo, pancake boxes were spit directly from Satan's rear end in a top hat.

Do this

*Some* track lights look like poo poo. Good ones are :discourse:

Those 12v kit will be cool when they make a trim ring that isn't from a Kmart ceiling. The electrician took it on himself to sub one of those in on my remodel and I vomit a little every time I look at it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Staple 100m of EL wire to the ceiling in cursive script, illuminate your life with live love laugh.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

cakesmith handyman posted:

Staple 100m of EL wire to the ceiling in cursive script, illuminate your life with live love laugh murder death kill.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

cakesmith handyman posted:

Staple 100m of EL wire to the ceiling in cursive script, illuminate your life with live love laugh.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I have a huge pile of 10W LEDs, and lots of aluminum heat sinks. My house will be the brightest on the block until it catches fire.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It really is amazing how hot 10 watts from an LED is, vs. any other 10W source.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

insta posted:

It really is amazing how hot 10 watts from an LED is, vs. any other 10W source.

More light, less heat.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's got to be a reddit thread or imgur gallery featuring a ceiling fan with recessed lights behind the blades.

Jesus even thinking of the concept deeply annoys me.

here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCCiMFIFugw

That would give me a migraine in about five seconds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I have a huge pile of 10W LEDs, and lots of aluminum heat sinks. My house will be the brightest on the block until it catches fire.

Then it will be even brighter until the fire department shows up.
Unless you live in one of those counties and you didn't pay the fire department fee. Then they will only show up to make sure the house of your neighbor, who did pay the fee, doesn't catch on fire due to your not paying the protection fee "negligence".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My Lovely Horse posted:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pzhjwstLdm1y0naae.mp4

:eyepop: Pisssss

edit: huh, its built in to the units if you buy the right ones

https://www.dseelabs-us.com/blogs/blog/synchronization-of-dseelab-hologram-displays

splitting the video sounds like a pain in the rear end though, someone needs to make a multiple fan display wall that just presents as a monitor when you plug it in :cool:

https://twitter.com/Dseelab/status/1171265710078586881?s=20

NoneMoreNegative posted:

drat, 4mx8m display, bet that kicked out a fair breeze :o:

https://twitter.com/dseelab/status/1157222718493716481?lang=en

yeah if I was a lottery figgie fucker I would have so much poo poo like this :o:

https://www.dseelab.com/home

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Motronic posted:

I don't know where everyone else is finding their stuff, and although this place is expensive they have an excellent search as well as inventory. I'm pretty much always just searching for whatever style I need, high CRI, enclosure rated. Even if it doesn't need to be in an enclosure. The quality difference when its in your hands is exceptionally obvious.

I've ordered A LOT from them over the last couple years because the house I bought is full of light fixtures and the previous owners had nothing but incandescent and halogen. One single dining fixture was over 1000 watts. Just insane.

And surprise, the dimmer on that one was always hot after it has been on for any length of time, because of course they broke the fins off the both sides to make it fit in the box (which downrates it to a 600W dimmer).

Edit: yeah, helps if I put the link in to the place I'm talking about. https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/led-light-bulbs/

What's odd about light bulbs in this era of online purchasing is that I still can't find a vendor that offers a full catalog of bulbs from particular vendors. For example, I find that Satco and Bulbrite have decent catalogs that cover most of the possible bulbs a designer will be looking for, but no one seems to rep the full catalog. I end up burning at least an hour on every major project just running down bulb substitutes and getting approval.

I could just move to specifying color temp, wattage, etc. and not including specific bulb models, but then I can't provide spec sheets, and the designers want spec sheets to approve. It's not a huge problem, but my workflow is generally pretty good except for a few issues like light bulbs so it's frustrating.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

Since it's Harbor Freight, does it break after you use it for a week?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Then it will be even brighter until the fire department shows up.
Unless you live in one of those counties and you didn't pay the fire department fee. Then they will only show up to make sure the house of your neighbor, who did pay the fee, doesn't catch on fire due to your not paying the protection fee "negligence".

You didn't want to pay all those taxes in the city, and that has consequences.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

there wolf posted:

You didn't want to pay all those taxes in the city, and that has consequences.

I was about to ask if the US doesn't have volunteer fire brigades but then I realized being a volunteer firemanfirefighter a) requires actual work b) requires one to not weigh 40 000 kg and c) isn't tax-deductible.

e: Wait what the gently caress "70 percent of firefighters in the United States are volunteers" so... :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 4, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was about to ask if the US doesn't have volunteer fire brigades but then I realized being a volunteer firemanfirefighter a) requires actual work b) requires one to not weigh 40 000 kg and c) isn't tax-deductible.

Large areas of the US are entirely or overwhelmingly volunteer for both fire departments and ambulance squads.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Wait what the gently caress "70 percent of firefighters in the United States are volunteers" so... :psyduck:

There are a lot of extremely rural places that run 50 calls a year, which accounts for a lot of this. Also, technically I'm a volly but I get paid a stipend and stay at the station when I'm on my 12 hour shift.

It sounds worse than it really is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So do the volunteers also refuse to help people who what the wrong RAM?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

3D Megadoodoo posted:

is this inclusive or exclusive of slave labour?

Serious question, whole lotta wildfires get fought by prisoners and I've never been entirely clear if they're paid a pittance or nothing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Serious question, whole lotta wildfires get fought by prisoners and I've never been entirely clear if they're paid a pittance or nothing

Kamala Harris gets paid.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

they make $0.18/hr or some poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They are paid, like any other prison work. Poorly. Except it's a great transitional program that is highly sought after by inmates. There have been some really positive outcomes from people who've been through those programs and then released.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Depends on the department. That's usually the severe rural areas that have a family and a fire truck and call themselves a department. My service is covered by tax dollars so if a call comes in, we go, no questions asked.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pittance and, at least in california, the actual fire department doesn't hire felons so this isn't like, working towards getting a job when they get out, either.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Elviscat posted:

Do this

Where are you supposed to put that "remote" that you can actually access it without being in your attic?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

Where are you supposed to put that "remote" that you can actually access it without being in your attic?

The remote junction box? You just haphazardly throw it on the drywall nail it to a convenient joist in the ceiling cavity, the 6" hole for the light is your access method to get to it, much like conventional recessed can, but more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For profit firefighting is not a common thing in the US, there was like 1 story from 1 county.

Ambulance services tend to be privatized though.

Zereth posted:

Pittance and, at least in california, the actual fire department doesn't hire felons so this isn't like, working towards getting a job when they get out, either.

CA recently changed the law so that fire departments can hire released felons.