Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aramis posted:

You've got it backwards. Impossible is pretty much indistinguishable from a regular basic beef patty. I find Beyond meat to have a distinct taste/texture that sets it apart, and makes it at least interesting. Neither of them really replaces a well made ground chuck patty, but beyond meat is perfectly satisfying enough that I don't miss it when home-cooked.

Yeah, if you season Impossible and place it on charcoal, it's REALLY close to a mediocre burger. Beyond is its own flavor entirely, which is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is Malt vinegar as a fries condiment a thing only massachusetts and canada does?

Nah, you see it in, like, British pubs here in CA, and sometimes at more upscale burger joints. It's not super COMMON, but it happens.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Is Malt vinegar as a fries condiment a thing only massachusetts and canada does?

And the UK. How else does the salt and pepper stick to the fries?

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the US though?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When I visited ireland I found the lil tubes of ketchup, mustard, mayo and brown sauce(?) very charming

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I mean, I have malt vinegar in my cabinet for fries. its not that uncommon

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Here we get a little scantron type sheet and we put it into the machine and we do our vote and then it gives us the sheet back and it has who we voted for so we can look and go "hey why does my sheet have 14 votes for Trump?" and then we feed it into another scanning machine which I assume just shreds it and then my vote doesn't count.

here we fill in the bubbles on a scantron sheet and feed it into the machine that counts them and drops it in a bucket

at the end of election day they pick one voting machine per precinct (the most full one) and audit it to compare the machine's tallies to the papers

and then they keep all the paper ballots until any disputes have been settled

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The issue with having the machine at all is that you're still reliant on it to even suggest whether there has been fraud. Which is why I'm a strong proponent of the watched ballot box approach. You have multiple people at all times and from multiple political positions watching the ballots all the time, so that's both your verification system and also your guarantee against tampering to begin with. Even if the electronic option can be verified you presumably wouldn't have any way of knowing whether it should be unless the result seems intuitively wrong to the people in charge?

Like I said the whole concept of just shoveling votes into a machine and then taking the machine's word for the outcome is extremely strange to me. Having lots of people watching the process is the whole point.

I suppose, although in a non-FPTP parliamentary system generally no one party is going to have that kind of power, anyway (either to commit massive fraud or to declare that everything is in order despite widespread irregularities).

Look, keeping all of my money in a sock under my bed is more secure, too, but I'd still prefer to use a bank card, no matter how crucial money is in our society. That's why I don't think this is an argument that can be resolved. All I can say once more is that, if you're at the level of justified suspicion where performing basic actions electronically is a major cause for concern, then there's something rotten at the core of the (financial, electoral, whatever) system in question, something that can't be solved by switching to paper.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Well Im glad we all agree, malt vinegar owns

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

Irish pubs all around the US have it on the table or serve it with fish and chips. Not common outside those establishments in most of the country though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I admit I've never really liked it though. I just have salt, pepper, and ketchup.

Like I'll eat it with vinegar on but I've never felt like I craved it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

It’s very common in NorCal.

By the way, In N Out literally costs less than MacDonalds. That is another reason why it owns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I mean, I have malt vinegar in my cabinet for fries. its not that uncommon

yea of all the non-american food affectations I think malt vinegar for fries is up there with dipping in mayo based sauces. I doubt there's any reason for McDonalds to ever offer little satchels of vinegar but most sit down burger joints tend to have it as an option.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Embarrassing childhood belief incoming: as a young kid I thought you could either eat your fries with malt vinegar, or with ketchup, but not with both at the same time. I would always pick ketchup. Now that I am older I know you can have both on your fries!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

For anyone looking for non-corporate media election day coverage, Majority Report stream is starting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Onj-7b8Q4

They're going until midnight.

I'll also post the Chapo stream later tonight, as well.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

The Glumslinger posted:

In n Out for life, king of the fast food burger

Seconded.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Madkal posted:

Embarrassing childhood belief incoming: as a young kid I thought you could either eat your fries with malt vinegar, or with ketchup, but not with both at the same time. I would always pick ketchup. Now that I am older I know you can have both on your fries!

Ketchup is just vinegar, sugar, and a little bit of tomato for coloring

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

As I said earlier, I have honestly never even looked at electronic voting from a security perspective. The idea that someone in a position of power would deliberately tamper with the results is unthinkable to nearly everyone where I live, I have never seen anyone at all bring it up, regardless of political position, from the far left to the far right. If that is happening, or you consider it so likely that you start to become paranoid about the possibility, at a basic cultural level your society has far bigger problems with democracy than choosing one particular voting method over another.

I don't think anyone would intentionally try to rig it. I can't even imagine anyone trying. I just feel they would generally screw it up and do something dumb like reuse a key/counter pair in AES-CTR mode, or truncate a hash, or not space out counters based on plain text size, or some other highly technical bit of idiocy. Crypto is hard and I just don't see the government being willing to spend the time and money to get it right.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

EvilHawk posted:

Grease. The salt and pepper sticks to the massive amounts of grease on our fries.

Also mayo is the ultimate fry dipping condiment.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Though I will say that Amy's does a pretty good In n Out style veggie burger, but the fries are way vetter

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Has anyone in the history of the world ever made that peachy chicken recipe on the back of the malt vinegar bottle

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mayo is eggs oil and vinegar. Why dont they use malt vinegar though idk

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

most "aioli" is just mayo for people in denial

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Malt Vinegar Mayo is a thing, and it's friggin delicious.

edit:

most "aioli" is just mayo for people in denial

Rouille or bust

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xombie posted:

Even if you weren't objectively wrong in a vacuum (you are), you say this in a world where Whataburger exists.

You won't get away with this

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Space Gopher posted:

Now add "easily verifiable by the voter" to the mix.

Yes, you can do cryptographic black magic that lets you validate your vote without sharing it, but it only works if people understand the math. Right now that means PhD level math education. You could simplify the process, but no matter what, it would be complicated and difficult to keep it all working right.

Or they can just make a mark on a piece of paper, then look at the paper to see that the mark is where they expect it to be. And that means they can do things like mark their paper at home and then put that paper in the mail, instead of using a special machine on a special day that happens to be a workday. And then, if there's any question about the data, you can go count slips of paper.

We might have secure, fully electronic voting some day, but paper is the way to go for the foreseeable future.

This can absolutely be done without the voter needing to understand it but overall you are correct. Doing it correctly would require a level of time, money, effort, and technical competency from the local officials that I just don't see happening. Paper is just easier to work with for 99.9% of people.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

EvilHawk posted:

You salt the fries immediately after frying.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We have a place called Burger-Fi I really like.
Burger Fi makes a quality burger, and as a bonus you can usually get a nice microbrew with it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I love how MSNBC constantly talks about all of Stacey Abrams work in Georgia like she's accomplished goddamn anything

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OK, you probably will because I'm lazy and not going to go crafting some sort of nested quotes for another thread. But also, In-n-Out exists in this same world, so like, yeah.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

or whatever in and out doesn't do to their fries)
In-N-Out's fries suck because they only fry them once. You can't just dump raw potatoes in oil to get a good fry; they need to be fried at least twice at different temperatures to stabilize the starch. Fast food outfits usually handle this by par-frying at a central location and finishing the job on-site, but In-N-Out has a No Pre-Made Anything gimmick. Sometimes standing on principle gets you a garbage result (feel free to use as political metaphor, or not)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
ketchup aioli is my favorite condiment

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

spite house posted:

In-N-Out's fries suck because they only fry them once. You can't just dump raw potatoes in oil to get a good fry; they need to be fried at least twice at different temperatures to stabilize the starch. Fast food outfits usually handle this by par-frying at a central location and finishing the job on-site, but In-N-Out has a No Pre-Made Anything gimmick. Sometimes standing on principle gets you a garbage result (feel free to use as political metaphor, or not)

They're pretty good as a vehicle for animal sauce.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Nthing not getting anything done at work today

And just lol if your condiment selection is anything but an array of hot sauces

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Every single thread and subforum that is left unsupervised ends with goons talking about fast food

The food chat entropy will consume us all eventually

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Food is always political.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

spite house posted:

In n out will double fry your fries if you ask them to.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Every single thread and subforum that is left unsupervised ends with goons talking about fast food

The food chat entropy will consume us all eventually
Goons are just trying to adapt to Trump's America, don't hate.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spite house posted:

Five Guys fries are the best in the "high end" fast food market anyway

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:hmmyes:

Trump, by putting the wrong condiments on his food and by serving McDonalds at official receptions, has won over the working class who is often mocked by the cultural elite for doing similar things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is the meager amount of hope I have allowed myself.