Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

Yeah, the auto focus Mamiya 645 seems to be pretty pricey, and the RB/RZ is popular among the film Youtubers, so that's gonna go up in price too.

The RZs seem to have never come down to reasonable price levels, but the RBs you basically couldn't give away not too long ago. Charming cameras, but massive tanks with a ridiculous number of interlocks and steps to taking pictures. Reliability wise though, they are like the AK47s of medium format.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Clayton Bigsby posted:

645 in general or particular brands/models? Been thinking about getting a Mamiya 645, perhaps I shouldn't wait too long. I managed to score a minty M4 this summer but that was mostly luck I think...

We picked up a mint pentax 645n with lens and the lady even threw in a nice new sekonic meter for $350 just over a year ago off ebay and an 80-160 for about $100 at the same time from b and h i think. Looks like theyre about $8xx these days. The Mamiya 645s consistently get around that range on auctions too. We also have an RB67 pro for studio work and ill have to go back and see how much we got that for. It wasnt a lot either but theyre gong for around 450 these days i think.

E. Phone posting.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bronicas are flying under the radar, buy em up.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

Bronicas are flying under the radar, buy em up.

Which ones are worth looking at? The S ones or the ERTSi?

I see even Kowas are starting to pick up. Have a Six sitting here that I paid gently caress all for a while back.

Trying to build up a small collection of cameras representing various types before prices creep up even higher. Suggestions are welcome! So far:

"Nice" rangefinder: Leica M4
Small rangefinder: Olympus 35RC
"Nice" SLR: Leica SL2 MOT
Small enjoyable SLR: Olympus OM2
Medium format SLR: Kowa Six
TLR: Rolleicord V

Thinking about unload the Kowa since it's not a favorite of mine and replacing with something... probably not a Hasselblad since prices are higher than what I want to pay, maybe an RB67 would be a fun option here?

Also need a medium format rangefinder, a half frame camera of some sorts, maybe a panoramic...?

Trying to get most of the pieces serviced so that they are actually usable and not just decoration. The Rolleicord is off for a CLA tomorrow. Generally I try to find nice looking pieces that need some service. I figure most any older analog camera I buy should have a CLA so may as well target the cosmetically nicest ones that suffer from sticky shutters or something than a "decently" working beater.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The rb67 takes amazing photos and is tons of fun, but it truly is huge and very heavy. For us it lives on a tripod in our little studio set up. The 645n we take everywhere and its now our most used camera of any sort. Id actually like a second one.

E. By favorite I mean that when we are loading up our bags the 645 is always going to be in there along with whatever else we decide that day

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 4, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bronica ETRs have almost doubled since I picked mine up last year.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Bronica ETRs have almost doubled since I picked mine up last year.

I briefly considered selling my ETRSi when I was low on cash last year, deffo glad I held on to it. I got it for 150€ in 2015.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
the Leica M4-2 will probably never get the love it deserves, but they’ve shot up in price too, like 200-600 since i bought mine.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Modern Sky posted:

the Leica M4-2 will probably never get the love it deserves, but they’ve shot up in price too, like 200-600 since i bought mine.

They are pretty nice cameras. Had a black one (maybe that was the more common one?) for a while and it was just like any other M body, despite not being German made.

Wondering when/if the M5 will see some love too.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

only after the last canadian leica has been bought for $3K will anyone finally admit the M5 was good.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

A few 35mm shots I just got around to developing, mostly ektachrome except for the last one which is velvia 100.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Hey, nice. Looks like the kodak handled the snow scenes well. I’ve got a roll I’ve been meaning to shoot. Might wait a few months yet...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah the nice job handling the highlights on those snowy mountain peaks.

To chime in on the RB67, they’re great for functional reliability, but full RB67 exaltation is only achieved when you find one with a mirror dampening flywheel that’s still perfectly tuned. When the mirror action feels like a puff of air in your hands, with the counterbalancing weight of the camera it becomes hand-holdable to a degree that the Pentax 67 and GS-1 can’t touch.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The RB67 is also a bit of a paradox in that it's never broken but will also never fire the shutter.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah the nice job handling the highlights on those snowy mountain peaks.

Funny thing is that I was intentionally over-exposing the ektachrome by half a stop. Every time I shoot it at box speed it's too dark and the shadows block up, I swear it's actually an ISO 80 and not 100 film (this is my experience both in 35mm and 4x5 using the in-camera lightmeter and an external spot meter).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Too bad I’ll never experience any of this firsthand since RBs cost a bajillion dollars now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've found an enlarger on Ebay that's prettymuch exactly what i'm looking for at a reasonable price, but am a bit worried about shipping. Should I ask the seller if he's going to pack the condenser separately, or maybe wrap the lenses individually? Or are they robust enough that he can just leave everything together when shipping?

Blackhawk posted:

A few 35mm shots I just got around to developing, mostly ektachrome except for the last one which is velvia 100.

These are awesome, nice work!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two photos of my partner doing some sewing developed today, nothing particularly exciting other than that they were the first sheets of film through the fully-automatic processor I've been designing/building and I'm stoked that it worked perfectly! So close to just pushing a button every time I want a bunch of slide film developed instead of crouching over the bath tub for an hour.

I've written up a blog post with more detail for those who are interested: http://midtonemachines.com/news/mission-accomplished-kinda/

Really hoping to have the thing up on Kickstarter for pre-orders before the end of the year, devoting a lot more time to it these days.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
whoah... awesome

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Super cool!!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an Epson V600 scanner, and I finally updated my Mac to Catalina, and realized that my Epson scanner software doesn't work with it. Fortunately Epson has provided free downloads of Silverfast! Just downloaded it and, man, do I hate it! Somehow it's even less intuititive than the Epson software. I'm making it through using the 'Workflow Pilot', but it's still pretty confusing. I tried a demo of Vuescan and that's definitely better, but I have to deicde if I want to spend $100 or not.

What are other home scanners using?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not sure how stuff works for Macs but are you able to create a virtual machine running the older version of macOS?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah to run any 32 bit applications on catalina, you need to run them within a virtual machine. google how to run 32 bit apps on catalina and you'll get a bunch of tutorials.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Don’t use workflow pilot its loving dumb

Silverfast has a stupid interface but it will get more detail and better color out if your scans than anything else.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

I have an Epson V600 scanner, and I finally updated my Mac to Catalina, and realized that my Epson scanner software doesn't work with it. Fortunately Epson has provided free downloads of Silverfast! Just downloaded it and, man, do I hate it! Somehow it's even less intuititive than the Epson software. I'm making it through using the 'Workflow Pilot', but it's still pretty confusing. I tried a demo of Vuescan and that's definitely better, but I have to deicde if I want to spend $100 or not.

What are other home scanners using?

You need Epson Scan 2, which is the 64 bit version of Epson Scan. I'm using it just fine on Catalina, and there are even a few small QoL improvements to it from the original.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Helen Highwater posted:

You need Epson Scan 2, which is the 64 bit version of Epson Scan. I'm using it just fine on Catalina, and there are even a few small QoL improvements to it from the original.

Oh awesome! I apparently glossed over this on the Epson support page. They send people to SIlverfast because Epson Scan 2 doesn't support ICE, but that doesn't really bother me. So far ES2 has been working great. Thanks again!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 1, 2020

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
Speaking of scanning film, I have a Canon Canoscan 8800f that I purchased in 2010 to scan some family film, slides, and prints. Seeing as it's now ten years old do the LEDs fade or loose any sort of efficiency to where it would affect scan quality? After I was done with the initial project I only used it a handful of times the last being in 2016. My brother also lost the film holders which I can find on ebay for around $25.00 so my other question is it worth it at this point to buy those film holder or should I get another scanner? Thanks in advance.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Helen Highwater posted:

Man this got me all hot and bothered but it turns out Epson Scan 2 is totally incompatible with Windows :mad:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cacator posted:

Man this got me all hot and bothered but it turns out Epson Scan 2 is totally incompatible with Windows :mad:

Just get the regular Epson Scan. (For windows)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ordered a Fed-1 with a 50mm/3.5 off ebay. always wanted a rangefinder but lol at paying leica prices. now I just need to source a lightmeter and some film. I wonder what the odds are of getting a decent selenium light meter on ebay.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Rated PG-34 posted:

ordered a Fed-1 with a 50mm/3.5 off ebay. always wanted a rangefinder but lol at paying leica prices. now I just need to source a lightmeter and some film. I wonder what the odds are of getting a decent selenium light meter on ebay.

There's a Voigtlander VCII hot shoe light meter on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-VC-ii-light-meter-for-film-camera-hot-shoe/114496008508?hash=item1aa87e713c:g:6~EAAOSwZcRfoE7V

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

wow 190 bux

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you're not wedded to keeping a vintage look, use your phone's meter.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

wow 190 bux

I've done a little research and it turns out photography is an expensive hobby

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

yeah, photog is expensive but i feel like it's not worth dropping 190 bux on a light meter when it's possible the shutter speeds on an old rangefinder aren't that accurate.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just get a cheap used sekonic L308S or something. pretty much perfect, only wish it had both Tv and Av modes instead of just Tv

i wouldn't trust a selenium meter that old anyway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sauer posted:

If you're not wedded to keeping a vintage look, use your phone's meter.

Yeah, the free app I use along with my old Yashica Mat works just fine. Takes a few seconds to use but w/e.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

May as well burn through $190 in film to practice metering by eye.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Just get the regular Epson Scan. (For windows)

It came with my V550 but I occasionally run into memory errors when scanning, for example if I'm scanning 120 at 6400dpi then I can't have dust removal turned on or it will break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

It came with my V550 but I occasionally run into memory errors when scanning, for example if I'm scanning 120 at 6400dpi then I can't have dust removal turned on or it will break.

Why the gently caress would you do that? What size image does that even spit out? It must be like 500MB or something. Most of the v500/550/600/650 series have a native resolution of 2400dpi so scanning higher than that doesn't add real resolution anyway.