Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Last Chance posted:

I'm curious to see how the fact that Apple had a record-breaking quarter in Mac sales last quarter affects the support lifetime of those Intel machines, specifically. E.g., Apple supports Intel a lot longer than they did PPC during the PPC->Intel transition.

What gets lost in the PPC-->Intel transition is that Intel suddenly had a massive lead on PPC way faster than anyone expected.

And you still got solid software support for 4 years if you bought a PPC MacPro. I don't see any way that you get less than that for Intel, and probably quite a bit more because there's no massive performance gains left to grab like there was with the Pentium to Core shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sounds like the MBA and both MBP sizes will get Apple Silicon versions announced next week: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/02/apple-event-two-macbook-pro-models/

Also sounds like the Apple Silicon MP will be a smaller version of the current, which could be nice: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/02/apple-smaller-mac-pro-apple-silicon/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

Also sounds like the Apple Silicon MP will be a smaller version of the current, which could be nice: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/02/apple-smaller-mac-pro-apple-silicon/

quote:

Apple engineers are currently developing a new ‌Mac Pro‌ that looks like the current design at about half the size. It's unclear if that Mac will replace the current ‌Mac Pro‌ or if it's an additional model. Apple's chip designs could help the company reduce the size of its computers due to increased power efficiency, but the current ‌Mac Pro‌ is large, in part, to fit components like additional storage drives and graphics chips.

my body is ready

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

otter posted:

Good plan. Hold the event while we are all busy furiously stalking out xbox series xs on fed ex trucks online and can't get upset at the decisions that are made.

Eh it'll give me something to watch while even on a gigabit line I undoubtedly have to wait an hour or so for anything to come down from Microsoft so I have something to play.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I hadn't bought into a 2019 MBP last year I'd actually seriously consider being an Apple Silicon early adopter. It'll be interesting to see what the battery life rewards are -- something significant might even get me to upgrade sooner than intended.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'll keep an eye on the AS Air but something tells me it's gonna be a while before I jump into that system, and not just because it's barely been six months since I got my Intel Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's no way I'm buying the first one.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I would but only if the impossible happens and they bring back the MBA 11"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's possible that if the A14X is thrifty enough with power, that maybe they could give you a 13-inch that would weigh the same as a 2015 11" Air, which is 2.38 pounds.

I worked with an 11-inch 2015 Air for a while, it was good speedwise and a joy to carry, but the IMHO the monitor was sus and the battery life tapered off a little too fast for my taste.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I literally bought my dad a new mbp today.

To be fair, he’s stuck using some pretty bad corporate software, so comparability is a potential issue, but man, it would suck to see the new one released that quickly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

new silicon on the same frames as the existing laptops is pretty unappealing

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

my body is ready

Yeah, I'm excited to see it too. Hopefully they reduce the price some too along with the size!

(It'll also be interesting to see how much expansion capability they would provide it.)

shrike82 posted:

Eh, for the first generation at least, I'd almost rather they maintain the chassis and just crank the performance up as much as they can, just to demonstrate that AS is perfectly suitable to replace x86. Plus I'm sure they are already working on a proper re-design, since there were mentions a week or two ago about a redesigned iMac with AS making a debut in probably early 2021.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 3, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ok Comboomer posted:

my body is ready

Book it: the Performa's coming back, baby!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

shrike82 posted:

yeah better to wait for the second gen, where they shrink the case so any power consumption benefits are nixed by the tiny battery

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I feel like the first gen is going to be just reassuring any skeptical buyers with "It's the same laptop you know and love, just the inside has changed. Don't worry about it too much" where the next iteration will be "Ok, now look what we can really do with this poo poo".

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

we have perfectly viable high battery life ipad pros so slimming down the MBP/MBA doesn't necessitate a sacrifice in battery life.
i'm still bitter they killed the macbook 12". that was a good form factor.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, but I'd rather they use the extra space for either greater battery capacity and/or better thermals so they can crank up the A14(X or Z or such).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

shrike82 posted:

we have perfectly viable high battery life ipad pros so slimming down the MBP/MBA doesn't necessitate a sacrifice in battery life.

I’m convinced it’ll come back with apple chips, but that might be my love of poo poo like the 11 inch air or vaio p talking

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think we'll be seeing touch screen Macs as well. It would be a big announcement to say that on day one you don't have access to all the MacOS apps but boom here's thousands of iOS apps to hold you over during the transition.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think we'll be seeing touch screen Macs as well. It would be a big announcement to say that on day one you don't have access to all the MacOS apps but boom here's thousands of iOS apps to hold you over during the transition.

That’s the best explanation for some of the weird design choices in Big Sur.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I’m not convinced since they spent all the effort to put mouse / trackpad support into the ipad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shrike82 posted:

But the iPad doesn't run a hundred things at one time like OS X

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

But the iPad doesn't run a hundred things at one time like OS X

that's not true, it just only has one or two things in the foreground. I remember when I jailbroke my AppleTV, there were a ton of services running when I ran top.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

that's not true, it just only has one or two things in the foreground. I remember when I jailbroke my AppleTV, there were a ton of services running when I ran top.

Userland things.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

I’m not convinced since they spent all the effort to put mouse / trackpad support into the ipad

Yeah, I feel like Apple has been pretty consistent on the "We're not bringing touchscreens to Macs" wagon for awhile.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I feel like Apple has been pretty consistent on the "We're not bringing touchscreens to Macs" wagon for awhile.

yeah, i have a touchscreen laptop too and the only thing it's useful for is maps pinch to zoom and the occasional scroll. otherwise tablets are just a flat-out superior experience for touch in my subjective opinion. mac laptops have such amazing trackpads though that this benefit is somewhat neutered

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every now and then I’ll move from my iPad to my MBP and instinctively try to push a submit button or something by pressing the screen before I remember ... oh yeah; and then I need to obsessively clean my screen.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A convertible laptop/tablet would work well especially if you get both iOS and Mac OS apps.

There’s definitely desire from iPad Pro users for a laptop experience - just look at the weird-rear end keyboards people bolt on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

shrike82 posted:

A convertible laptop/tablet would work well especially if you get both iOS and Mac OS apps.

There’s definitely desire from iPad Pro users for a laptop experience - just look at the weird-rear end keyboards people bolt on.

You mean like that one iPad keyboard case that Apple made that has a trackpad like a laptop?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The one that weighs a lot to act as a counterbalance to the tablet’s weight? And can’t fold backwards to allow for tablet use?

Like I said, weirdass keyboards.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shrike82 posted:

The one that weighs a lot to act as a counterbalance to the tablet’s weight? And can’t fold backwards to allow for tablet use?

Like I said, weirdass keyboards.

Yeah, the one where I can easily detach the iPad and use it if I need to and then easily reattach it when I'm done.

It's easily the best keyboard case I've owned.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Can we get a Surface Book equivalent that's just an ipad pro you put on top of a 1.5lb keyboard that's literally all battery?

Pull it off, it switched to iPad OS, put it on, it switches to MacOS.

Sincerely,
me, who don't want 2 devices anymore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MeruFM posted:

Can we get a Surface Book equivalent that's just an ipad pro you put on top of a 1.5lb keyboard that's literally all battery?

Sincerely,

One of those devices needs to be stored when not in use.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MeruFM posted:

Sincerely,

As long as I can get desktop versions of browsers including tampermonkey scripts, adblocking, and chromium extensions for both, I'm in.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Could I use a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable to use my 2009 27" iMac as an 2nd monitor for my 2020 Macbook Air?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't actively compile on my machine but I work adjacent to the industry in a customer facing role. Hopefully it's less than a year before I get a shiny new ARMBook issued. Jokes on them if they want me to hand this 2018 15" back though, it has been through hell so hopefully I can just keep it as a desktop replacement.

Can't imagine it'd be worth it for them to take the stickers off of it and reissue to a new hire even for ENG purposes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know if iMacs allow themselves to be only displays? Or at least not target displays?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jokes posted:

I don’t know if iMacs allow themselves to be only displays? Or at least not target displays?

there was like 1 model year where that was possible for displayport and then another year as thunderbolt, and since then never again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hearing a rumor that the 2 13" MacBooks planned for the event are one Apple silicon and one Intel refresh to 11th gen. Give something new to people who are ready while still signaling that they have something for people who can't quite make the jump yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Amazon today has a few deals on both models of Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro from 2019, starting at $2,099.99

So in other words, for what you could have bought one from B&H/Adorama last year around this time.