Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
By all indications, Democratic turnout in Florida is going to substantially exceed its 2016 numbers. If Florida still goes red it just means the demographics of the state are intractable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont get ventriloquism. like i have seen some good ventriloquism like that kid on american got talent but it seems to be mostly a crutch for bad standup.
Sounds like you get it just fine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Florida was never going to be a state that the Dems could win. It is forever lost to the republicans and when it is overtaken by rising sea levels, we will gladly reduce their Congress numbers and EVs.

What is this a response to

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

mind the walrus posted:

Honest question, does the Electorate take into account the number of participants per county? Like say most of a state votes Biden but it's low turnout, while a few counties have insane turnout and overwhelmingly vote Trump. Do they take that into account or is it really just "suggestion noted" to the popular vote at large?

In Maine and Nebraska, some electoral votes are given for winning in a given congressional district, as well as statewide. Otherwise, no. You could turn out 100% in the rural areas and get outvoted by 1 vote in the end, and you'd get 0 electoral votes as a result.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

What is this a response to

A black man being president mostly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's happening again isn't it

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Nothing is happening, good lord.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quorum posted:

In Maine and Nebraska, some electoral votes are given for winning in a given congressional district, as well as statewide. Otherwise, no. You could turn out 100% in the rural areas and get outvoted by 1 vote in the end, and you'd get 0 electoral votes as a result.
My understanding isn't even that it works like "majority vote = electoral votes" but that it was the electors that actually cast votes based on data/their own desires.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

zakharov posted:

What's the alternate universe thread

GE thread

the thread I dare not trespass

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If this is eating you up you need to log off and do something else until the answer is known. I say this with all the love and respect in the world. Trying to read tea leaves does no one any favors.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Exit polls are only taken by people that vote in person on election day right?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

mind the walrus posted:

My understanding isn't even that it works like "majority vote = electoral votes" but that it was the electors that actually cast votes based on data/their own desires.

This is theoretically how it works, in the same way that the Queen can technically veto any act of parliament. In practice, "electors are chosen based on the popular vote winner and vote for that ticket" is written into law. Not all states have laws that explicitly force the electors, once chosen, to vote as they were supposed to, but that's mostly because it's never come up outside of a handful of faithless electors who didn't matter to the outcome.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
number

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1323752032000450570

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Darko posted:

I kind of do worry about the "48% think that Coronavirus is being handled well" stat they posted, but I do think CNN is exiting earlier in person voters only, so...

Eh, I think they are surveying folks who just voted in person so it's a self selecting statistic.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FiskTireBoy posted:

Exit polls are only taken by people that vote in person on election day right?

No, they're including early voters to try and offset Election Day discrepancies.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Here is Finn being very curious about the new yard we moved to:

and being tuckered out after a day of exploring the new house:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont get ventriloquism. like i have seen some good ventriloquism like that kid on american got talent but it seems to be mostly a crutch for bad standup.

Wayland Flowers (Madame) and Shari Lewis were the only good ventriloquists.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

90 minutes until Georgia closes and we get our first shot at a great night.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kirios posted:

I am so loving nervous you guys.

Same fellow goon, same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

GE thread

the thread I dare not trespass

They’re really tearing that Obama guy apart in there. I hope he loses

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bahaha I think I'll have to have a Fox News stream up tonight because this might get good

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fix actually has a decent polling operation

Which is completely ignored by all of the popular hosts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/hatredofposting/status/1323667204664135685/photo/1

XXX
Sep 14, 2005

by Pragmatica
Getting more and more anxious by the minute.

Thread refresh rate increasing by the minute.

Here in Tampa it was super packed at ~8:15am. Line was too long so I drove home. Went back at ~1:45pm and hardly anyone there. I assume it's packed again now.

Saw maybe 5 groups of Trump supports on the corner at lights throughout my day. Saw 2 for Biden. Flicked off a middle-aged, bleached blonde lady in a Porsche SUV with the license plate "PORSCHER" that cut me off and almost ran me off the road as she was honking support at the Trumpers.

Just ran out and found a 12-pack of Coors Light Seltzer for $11.59 because a) I hate myself, b) am poor af, c) am way too sober for all of this.

In other news, not only is it election day, but it's Shave Nero Day (he was super matted, unfortunately).

Before:

After:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Try as I might, I can't find a way to watch fox news online for free from tenerife, but I trust the most succulent hand picked clips will be all over twitter and make an appearance here.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Saki is ready for this bullshit to be over

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This is Jareth T. Cat, sitting majestically in his own water bowl. Why? We are not worthy to know. (No, I never vacuum, thanks for asking.)

We have added cranberry curd pie in an almond crust to the supper buffet. Thanks, Cook's Magazine!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Oh my god

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/CondreayDavid/status/1323743410616889346

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

No, they're including early voters to try and offset Election Day discrepancies.

I'm not sure that the stations are doing that for these, just the ones that will include the actual numbers.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Good take I just got from a friend.

This strange giddy nervousness he’s felt all day? It’s how he felt when on Christmas Eve when was 6. Excited for presents, thought there would be presents, but also knew there was a chance he would get nothing but coal.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Give me more tweets like these please.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

:gizz: Please? Letsssgooooo

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

I will not believe any of this poo poo until it happens

I will not get caught off guard again

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

XXX posted:

Getting more and more anxious by the minute.

Thread refresh rate increasing by the minute.

Here in Tampa it was super packed at ~8:15am. Line was too long so I drove home. Went back at ~1:45pm and hardly anyone there. I assume it's packed again now.

Saw maybe 5 groups of Trump supports on the corner at lights throughout my day. Saw 2 for Biden. Flicked off a middle-aged, bleached blonde lady in a Porsche SUV with the license plate "PORSCHER" that cut me off and almost ran me off the road as she was honking support at the Trumpers.

Just ran out and found a 12-pack of Coors Light Seltzer for $11.59 because a) I hate myself, b) am poor af, c) am way too sober for all of this.

In other news, not only is it election day, but it's Shave Nero Day (he was super matted, unfortunately).

Before:

After:

Cute cat!

What helps for my anxiety about election stuff is knowing that Trump supporters largely wear their affiliation on their sleeve or as a flag on their car. They may seem like they’re everywhere, but they’re still a minority in the grand scheme of things. Democrats don’t go driving around with giant flags or have corner rallies for people to honk at them. Same for independents. The fact that Covid proved that Trump cannot handle a legitimate crisis has motivated more voters this time around. Less undecideds and higher turnout or votes from the democrats. 3 million more people voted for Hillary than Trump, and the 2018 midterms showed more of a gap. People aren’t forgetting four years ago.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Postin pals Milly and Butters are on standby. Living alone, they've been a great help this year.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 3, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One thing I will say is that in 2016 people were already starting to raise alarms at this point, and those alarms haven't been raised yet

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lychee learned how to open drawers on her own, which is gonna be a little bit of a problem.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

berserker posted:

I will not believe any of this poo poo until it happens

I will not get caught off guard again

Right. Don't you dare get my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anyone actually seen this reporting?