Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tau Drives are mass-produceable and not intrinsically all that valuable beyond being GN technology, so it's not really that unreasonable to throw them at Celestial Being en-masse. They can always make more, Celestial Being can't, and even just one kill would make however many Gagas were spent worth it.

Yeah, Tau Drives are basically just extremely fancy batteries/converters; they take a normal electrical charge from standard power sources and convert that charge into (flawed) GN Particles that can do the stuff GN Particles do. They're easily mass produced if you have the resources(which Ribbons does, since he's the de facto ruler of Earth). Ribbons doesn't care about throwing away a few hundred of them and a few hundred disposable mass production innovades if it gives him a leg up on defeating the Ptolemaios, which is functionally the last rallying point of resistance to his final victory.

It's funny to think about what would have happened when the ELS showed up if Ribbons had won, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Taintrunner posted:

I hope you can appreciate my new avatar.

I'll miss your Stalin Pale Ale.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Welp, 0083 finished. I kinda wish Keith showed up more and had more development, tbh. I liked his dynamic with Kou. Also that sure was a downer ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Keith and Mona are one of the very few couples in Gundam who have a healthy relationship.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a very brief moment in 0083 where Keith/Kou and Mora/Nina ships seem viable and it's great. but better they stay away from those messy two i suppose

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look I just want SRW to continue Heero's bromance with Setsuna and maybe fold Mika in to it.

Nobody tell Setsuna about the AV system. Guy does not need his obsession with becoming Gundam encouraged like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloody Pom posted:

Nobody tell Setsuna about the AV system. Guy does not need his obsession with becoming Gundam encouraged like that.

Or Phenex.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

finished season 1 of IBO. ended on a really strong note, seeing ein just rip through 3 people and be the first opponent to credibly look like he was actually going to beat mika was pretty cool, there was some really effective presentation in making him look like an absolute monster on the battlefield.

i know it's really cliche char-type anime rival stuff but seeing mcgillis so thoroughly and completely stab gaelio in the back was really fun. i wish mcgillis had had one or two more fights over the course of the season but i think i kinda get what they were going for, every move mcgillis makes is well calculated and always pretty cleanly puts him at an advantage. he really comes off as having been completely in control of events across the season, which means that there's not a lot of space for him in fights besides one sided beatdowns (like him vs gaelio) or the "technically doesn't win but comes away recognized as being skilled" kinda fight (like him vs mika), both of which they already did and i guess they didn't want to retread the same ground with him.

looks like kudelia won't be as big a part of the show going forward, which is a shame because i really liked her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I mean by the end of the series he is literally an immortal liquid metal being who is one with his robot so welp.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

looks like kudelia won't be as big a part of the show going forward, which is a shame because i really liked her.

Same but all things considered it's probably for the best that she stayed out of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I like that she’s mostly doing her own stuff in S2, feels less contrived that way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah I like that she’s mostly doing her own stuff in S2, feels less contrived that way.

And she's doing things that make for relatively boring TV. It's productive and successful, but... not exciting.

Speaking of boring TV, watched a little more Gundam SEED, and now I understand how it managed to stretch out the opening five episodes of 0079 to take up a quarter of the show.

Gundam SEED episode 4 makes IBO episode 4 (the one where Mikazuki helps out on a farm) feel like an action packed thrill-ride. It's just... nothing happening. Oh, sure, there's things that'll be relevant going forward (Kira's worthless friends are on the bridge now as support staff, Flay is aboard, they've got a target, Rau decides to use the Gundams) but it's all stuff that, say, Zeta Gundam would have covered in one scene, if not between episodes.

Meanwhile, Kira's whining about not piloting the Gundam is so much worse for the story than Amuro's, because Amuro's leads to action. Amuro whines about the Gundam, he might get slapped, or refuse to pilot, or commit some high treason, or otherwise make plot happen. Amuro's reluctance to pilot was a big deal that drove the way the characters interacted and the conflicts they were drawn into.

Kira mostly just goes out and pilots, but he's sad about it, and that's boring. Characters making choices are more interesting than characters just lamenting how they don't have a choice most of the time, and actively terrible decisions are somehow easier to sympathize with than merely complaining about making reasonable ones.

Also, Kira's friends are incredibly boring, which makes them subbing for Kai really hard to take.

In summary: SEED is still bad. The original Gundam is good. And Neo-Canada is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I liked four. I liked beltorchika. Sarah was alright. I even have some mild appreciation for katz.

Rosamia just sucks real bad and I wish her plotline had been cut

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Man, I liked four. I liked beltorchika. Sarah was alright. I even have some mild appreciation for katz.

Rosamia just sucks real bad and I wish her plotline had been cut

I call her Two Fifty because she’s the discount Four. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Two episodes into Zeta and goddamn Kamille you need to take a chill pill.

Also watching Bright getting smacked up by a bunch of fascists felt kinda funny for some reason. The spirit of Amuro slapping him back?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibblebibble posted:

Also watching Bright getting smacked up by a bunch of fascists felt kinda funny for some reason. The spirit of Amuro slapping him back?

This is what he won the OYW for. This is what he fought Zeon for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Under no circumstance does Kamille ever need a chill pill.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah he just needs a mature outlet for his criticisms, like a gundam.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't know about you but when slighted, I just vent my stress by attacking armed guards as checkpoints, grand theft auto, stealing a mobile suit and then needlessly blowing poo poo up and then joining Not Char and then accidentally get my parents killed.

It's quite a stress reliever now I tell you.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not seeing a problem here.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fact that Kamille, steals a mobile suit in the middle of a warzone and the first thing he does is scare the poo poo out the officer who was a dick to him was a great way to show the audience that he's not amuro 2.0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean amuro never got his parents killed. He only accidentally gave his dad brain damage

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it might just be he was always that bad

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

y'know if more people lashed out at unpopular pseduo-militaries we might be a lot better off

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wish i had the gundam gp-02 right now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

y'know if more people lashed out at unpopular pseduo-militaries we might be a lot better off

The problem is that "young angry rich white kid set off by minor thing" is not exactly the kind of person you'd want in a Gundam in real life

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Gotta say, is kinda hosed up that Gundam X has a recurring antagonist whose whole motivation is "an underage kid turned me down, now I want to murder/capture him". This may be the way the subs phrased Ennil's interactions with Garrod, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It works slightly better when you learn the insane fact that Ennil is supposed to be 19.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/1323712091203710981
FYI, the Gundam SEED BDs that just came out seem to be using the wrong sources (broadcast instead of blu-ray). So while the rep I hear from SEED makes them kind of a dubious proposition to start, you may want to wait to pick them up if you want SEED BDs to see how this is sorted out.

The Ultra Edition SD on BD discs also have major black level issues.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

It works slightly better when you learn the insane fact that Ennil is supposed to be 19.

I honestly thought she was at least in her mid-twenties. :cripes:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Fun fact: Garrod is a year older than Judeau from ZZ Gundam.

Gundam ages tend to be... odd.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Early Zeta Kamille is somehow incredibly relatable despite being rich.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact: Garrod is a year older than Judeau from ZZ Gundam.

Gundam ages tend to be... odd.

I generally find Gundam ages to work better if I mentally give everyone an extra decade unless they’re obviously kids like the IBO characters or side characters like Katz, Letz, and Kikka.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

I generally find Gundam ages to work better if I mentally give everyone an extra decade unless they’re obviously kids like the IBO characters or side characters like Katz, Letz, and Kikka.

I mean, depends on the show, and even the character within the show. Like, the original Gundam having Bright be a wet-behind-the-ears new graduate is important, as is Amuro being too young to be a soldier under better circumstances. Similarly, Kamille's arc is a bildungsroman, with him being caught between childhood and maturity, so him being 17 is just right. On the other hand, Paptimus is a representative of the corrupt older generation that cannot be trusted to build a new world, so him being 26 feels much too young.

There's also characters like Char and Reccoa, where their ages are workable for their roles, but they're still stretching things. Twenty years old for a Captain in wartime isn't unprecedented, especially with his talent and Zeon's limited personnel, but it's still unusual. Or, since you brought up IBO, you have Kudelia, whose naivete and youth is a plot point, but she's still a college graduate at 16.

I think Wing and SEED have that rule fit best. The original Gundam has teenage soldiers as a sign of desperation, while SEED and Wing just assume that, yeah, of course 16 year olds should be trusted with supreme political and military authority.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 4, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

To be fair everyone in Gundam wing is the biggest badass

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

And let's not forget that one faction in Wing is literally run by aristocrats, so we shouldn't be surprised that so many of them are absurdly young for their rank; rather, we should be surprised that so many of them are so competent.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anshu posted:

And let's not forget that one faction in Wing is literally run by aristocrats, so we shouldn't be surprised that so many of them are absurdly young for their rank; rather, we should be surprised that so many of them are so competent.

Well, there's also how all five Gundam pilots, picked entirely independently, are all fifteen year old boys. There's not even a year's difference between them. It's rather remarkable.

On an unrelated note, just watched the second episode of Gundam X, and the contrast between the hero having a Gundam getting hyped up as the biggest deal even before people knew it had a death ray, and the two other protagonist pilots having Gundams like it's not even a thing, is kind of awkward. X seems unsure if it wants having a mobile suit to be a deal or not, with dozens of people getting wrecked in episode 2 as if this wasn't a post-apocalyptic society. It's kind of like if everyone in Mad Max had a Leopard 1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, there's also how all five Gundam pilots, picked entirely independently, are all fifteen year old boys. There's not even a year's difference between them. It's rather remarkable.

On an unrelated note, just watched the second episode of Gundam X, and the contrast between the hero having a Gundam getting hyped up as the biggest deal even before people knew it had a death ray, and the two other protagonist pilots having Gundams like it's not even a thing, is kind of awkward. X seems unsure if it wants having a mobile suit to be a deal or not, with dozens of people getting wrecked in episode 2 as if this wasn't a post-apocalyptic society. It's kind of like if everyone in Mad Max had a Leopard 1.

That's more about the Freeden itself being special. They're the Gundam guys, small but elite with an unusual connection to the old superweapons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The beginning narration also shows you that the Gundams were mass produced. Given that the war wasn't that long ago, it'd make sense that it wouldn't be that much of a deal to have a Gundam, I guess?

Sorta related to this, but there's a later episode where Roybea says something like "oh, the war was like 1.5 billion years ago, right?" and I was like "what? You must be in your late 20s - early 30s, you would've been alive at the time".
Turns out he's 18. :negative:

Edit: Witz is 17, wth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azran posted:

The beginning narration also shows you that the Gundams were mass produced. Given that the war wasn't that long ago, it'd make sense that it wouldn't be that much of a deal to have a Gundam, I guess?

Sorta related to this, but there's a later episode where Roybea says something like "oh, the war was like 1.5 billion years ago, right?" and I was like "what? You must be in your late 20s - early 30s, you would've been alive at the time".
Turns out he's 18. :negative:

Edit: Witz is 17, wth

G Gundam had an actual adult with a job (admittedly, a really cool job) as its protagonist. The next couple Gundams overcompensated.

Edit: And that was the thing, that people talked about the Gundam like having it would make you king poo poo of gently caress mountain, despite them being mass produced. It felt like the show hadn't picked a lane.