Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Irony.or.Death posted:

Looking for kind of a story direction/tone consult from people who've been through the entire Trails series. Apologies for :words:, just trying to lay out the perspective to inform answers.

You've played 6 games, I say take a decently long break and come back to play 3 more to get to the end of the originally planned content from that has existed since FC. The only advice I really have is to remember that CS isnt any more anime than CB, its just in 3D which seems to make people feel like there's more anime for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Idkbutlike2 posted:

The combat high school routine. That alone is gonna put some people off.

That's true. But I was only talking in relation to the ending of both games, because they feel sorta similar. Though now I realise I somehow didn't actually specify that in my post. So, oops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Looking for kind of a story direction/tone consult from people who've been through the entire Trails series. Apologies for :words:, just trying to lay out the perspective to inform answers.

One of the biggest reasons I loved Sky FC was the relatively small scope of the story. Having things be mostly about this internal political situation that came about in part because of the state of international relations was such a breath of fresh air next to your typical fantasy JRPG story and the writing was strong enough to make it interesting to follow. SC obviously got a bit worse with regard to genre tropes and styling near the end, but at least it all still came across as weird old stuff being weird and old and dangerous, and political tensions were a real and important part of the stakes. The start of Crossbell reset things a little away from stereotypical anime and gave us some more good local focus on a place that felt like it was situated in a real and meaningful larger world then did the anime ramp up to the climax again, so I was groaning through the latter portion of the game but still liked it enough to finish out and was looking forward to Cold Steel giving me another reset so I could have a good and interesting story before the presumably inevitable slide into tired poo poo. Maybe even more than one since I knew it was a longer series of games.

And I can't say I particularly enjoyed Cold Steel 1, but there were at least a few moments like the military training exercise that reminded me we were in a more interesting than usual setting and these incremental technological improvements people were working on in all the different nations were important and had a big impact on the balance of power despite all the absurd ancient superpower stuff happening in the background. The characters were seriously lacking compared to Sky/Crossbell and the 3D models seemed like an extremely ugly and ill-advised change but I could accept this as rough edges due to new engine/style/larger cast in a setting that put some new constraints on the kind of people they could have around. Toss in that the ending of Crossbell already told me how the whole liberation front thing was going to turn out and there wasn't much to get invested in, but I figured I'd see it through since I was already so deep into the setting/world-building.

Then I got to the actual end of Cold Steel 1 and goddamn I hate that game. They took everything that was cool and unique about their setting and spiked it into the trash in favor of generic garbage, and they didn't even manage to get through all the plot outline they already handed me at the end of the previous series. Is there anything at all for me to look forward to in the rest of Cold Steel, or are just we locked on the bullet train to anime town while we spend another entire game+ on events they already sketched for me with the worst cast from here on out?
the political stuff you like is the backdrop for the anime bullshit the writers are in love with and want to do. its basically like the weird theology in dragonball z. its interesting and distinct but it is clearly not what the writers want to prioritize as an element of the writing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

The combat high school routine. That alone is gonna put some people off.

You know, I've never really thought deeply about it. But uh, what are people actually complaining about there?

The main issue I see with the combat high school trope is that it's a pretty heavy handed way to say that only teenagers can do anything in the series. But that doesnt apply to CS at all, in fact people's biggest issue with 2 appears to be the fact that our playable teenagers can't beat every foe they meet. If its just hatred for being in a high school and having high school relationships, than the Jenis segments of FC and TC also apply, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people just see a school and go 'grr anime.' realistically the situation in cs1 isnt any real different from sky 1, but, grr anime. same with stuff like mechs, superpowered modes, etc. all that stuff was already in sky 1 it was just presented very slightly differently so peoples brains accepted it, whereas cs1 presents those same tropes more bluntly and, grr, anime.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I genuinely cannot comprehend people loving FC and thinking something like CS1 is completely different in terms of tone and writing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RevolverDivider posted:

I genuinely cannot comprehend people loving FC and thinking something like CS1 is completely different in terms of tone and writing.

they say space is the final frontier... but the truth is... its the human brain!!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I can totally see liking Sky, and Especially FC for being the first entry where you know nothing and slowly fall in love since I went through that myself. But wanting more of that doesn't really make sense to me because Trails entire thing is that it's interconnected and continuously develops and NOTHING ELSE offers that, so you're literally asking for something unique to become something generic if you don't want the evolving connections.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I get tropes and all, but it's still kinda wild to me that someone would go "grrr high school anime" and not have a problem with playing as loving cops in 2020. I know that it took me a while to get past the fact that the SSS was a division of the police when I played Zero this year.

E: The police brutality jokes in the localization did not help even a little bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

people just see a school and go 'grr anime.' realistically the situation in cs1 isnt any real different from sky 1, but, grr anime. same with stuff like mechs, superpowered modes, etc. all that stuff was already in sky 1 it was just presented very slightly differently so peoples brains accepted it, whereas cs1 presents those same tropes more bluntly and, grr, anime.

To be fair they were alright with the game until the ending so it probably wasn't high school that turned them off it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

King of Solomon posted:

I get tropes and all, but it's still kinda wild to me that someone would go "grrr high school anime" and not have a problem with playing as loving cops in 2020. I know that it took me a while to get past the fact that the SSS was a division of the police when I played Zero this year.

Crossbell is not in the united states of planet earth, hope that helps for people that can discern from reality

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tae posted:

Crossbell is not in the united states of planet earth, hope that helps for people that can discern from reality

wee bit patronizing, they didn't said anything close to warranting this remark.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bracers are cops, the soldiers of the literal empire are, well,

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Motto posted:

Bracers are cops, the soldiers of the literal empire are, well,

???????????/

The Cold Steel games go out of their way to say that the wars (both the civil one in 2 and the one being prepared for in 4) are bad? Like, Rean and co are trying to stop it from becoming too bad in 2 by saving people and trying to cool things down, and the goal in 4 is to stop it from happening?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just enjoy the games for what they are, it's not like you have anything better to do during these pandemic days.

I enjoyed playing through the different perspectives of the Guild, a division of the CSPD, and Thors. I think CSIV and Hajimari bring them together quite nicely.

We'll probably see some new combat orbment of whatever Verne of Calvard is working on for people to complain about, and well a different combat system entirely.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I personally like every single faction in the series, and I do personally recommend trying not to tie any baggage from our world to Lloyd Bannings, bless his burning heart, in Zemuria.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

You know, I've never really thought deeply about it. But uh, what are people actually complaining about there?

Combat high school (often with harem elements) was a once-trendy light novel premise that a lot of people got sick and tired of by the time Trails of Cold Steel came out in the west. Beyond that, Thors as a setting is extremely on the nose with its Japanese high school parallels; right down to hosting a bunkasai school festival that includes a Buddhist rock garden and a pop idol concert.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tae posted:

Guess you haven't noticed that cops suck outside the US as well?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei posted:

???????????/

The Cold Steel games go out of their way to say that the wars (both the civil one in 2 and the one being prepared for in 4) are bad? Like, Rean and co are trying to stop it from becoming too bad in 2 by saving people and trying to cool things down, and the goal in 4 is to stop it from happening?

I'm not saying that as a crit of either of those games, just that "being some manner of law enforcement/power projection" is something you can say of every Trails protagonist.

e: but also afaik a big part of the start of Zero is that the CB cops suck and nobody likes you, because you're cops anyway

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 4, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Combat high school (often with harem elements) was a once-trendy light novel premise that a lot of people got sick and tired of by the time Trails of Cold Steel came out in the west. Beyond that, Thors as a setting is extremely on the nose with its Japanese high school parallels; right down to hosting a bunkasai school festival that includes a Buddhist rock garden and a pop idol concert.

I think the fact I basically ignored anime for the better part of a decade (unless it had Gundam in the title) may be a big reason as to why I didn't mind CS1's premise :v:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Most of the Anime's i've watched have something closer to the Bracer Guild than a military academy, but that is what has been available on netflix.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

If I remember correctly, didnt we show up for Jenis' school festival, which featured an even more on the nose crossdressing play(which was awesome) that directly resulted in Joshua getting the affections of Kloe?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The status effect game in 4 is just so incredibly stupid. Why yes, here's a boss that spams a very high chance map-wide confusion move constantly, and the game hasn't actually given you enough confusion blocking accessories to cover your whole party by then (in fact, it's given you 2). Oh, and it's a pure status effect move, so evasion and the various physical/magical reflect spells, crafts and orders don't actually block it. To say nothing of the field boss and end boss of the Crossbell segment.

Yes you can manually buy more, but money so far has absolutely been a huge issue even without spending large amounts more for full party status effect coverage for every single dangerous effect. Yet another early game "fun" element that's nearly completely irrelevant later on due to more access to the better accessories.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 4, 2020

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

If I remember correctly, didnt we show up for Jenis' school festival, which featured an even more on the nose crossdressing play(which was awesome) that directly resulted in Joshua getting the affections of Kloe?

Personally, I don't think so. Jenis isn't framed as weirdly in Liberl as Thors is in Erebonia. Trails spent five games portraying Erebonia as this rigid, conservative country, but then you get to Thors and it's a very laid back setting where someone can dress like this to a school event and not immediately get expelled.

Jenis is way more innocuous in my opinion. Even the crossdressing play isn't that bad, considering it's a play about knights and princesses backed by hokey organ music, which fits nicely with the culture and aesthetic of Liberl.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Personally, I don't think so. Jenis isn't framed as weirdly in Liberl as Thors is in Erebonia. Trails spent five games portraying Erebonia as this rigid, conservative country, but then you get to Thors and it's a very laid back setting where someone can dress like this to a school event and not immediately get expelled.

i think when you're at towa's power level you can kind of just do whatever you want

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nobody tells Towa loving Herschel what to do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nobody tells Towa loving Herschel what to do.

I can almost guarantee that one or both of Crow and Angelica told her to do that. I don't remember if they explained it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

King of Solomon posted:

I can almost guarantee that one or both of Crow and Angelica told her to do that. I don't remember if they explained it.

I'm sure Angelica did some persuading yeah

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Olivert is the chairman of the school. What would you expect?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Trails spent five games portraying Erebonia as this rigid, conservative country, but then you get to Thors and it's a very laid back setting where someone can dress like this to a school event and not immediately get expelled.

Thats not exactly true. Our biggest Erebonian contact was.... Olivert. Trails spent 5 games letting you know stuff was up in the empire, not that the empire was stuffy mcstuffytown. Thats just the Liberlian and Crossbellian perspective of being terrified of your giga war neighbor. One of my favorite aspects of the series is in fact getting to go Erebonia and it not being an evil empire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean the Empire is literally an incredibly awful place even if from within it seems chill. That's literally a major part of the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it says a lot about Erebonia that of the two big political forces in the nation the least awful are the military expansionists.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alright, time to tap the breaks. Let's talk about CS4 Musse:

I am totally down for a girl of noble upbringing being able to keep a low profile and put two and two together to figure out which direction the country is going. She's got the connections and the resources to stay on top of such things, especially if she wasn't an active participant in things until CS3.

HOWEVER, just saying "yeah dude I could tell everything that was going to happen when I was like 8 cause I'm just like super good at guessing and follow the money, lol, I taught Sherlock everything he knows why do you ask" is some absolute garbage poo poo. In trying to convince me that Musse is the sharpest tool in any shed on the planet, you've gone comically too far and now it might as well be magic bullshit. You had a good thing in your hands and you took it too far.

In related news I had a far easier time dealing with the Vermillion Knight and I sincerely hope I spend the entire game rubbing his face in his own failures.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shinjobi posted:

Alright, time to tap the breaks. Let's talk about CS4 Musse:

I am totally down for a girl of noble upbringing being able to keep a low profile and put two and two together to figure out which direction the country is going. She's got the connections and the resources to stay on top of such things, especially if she wasn't an active participant in things until CS3.

HOWEVER, just saying "yeah dude I could tell everything that was going to happen when I was like 8 cause I'm just like super good at guessing and follow the money, lol, I taught Sherlock everything he knows why do you ask" is some absolute garbage poo poo. In trying to convince me that Musse is the sharpest tool in any shed on the planet, you've gone comically too far and now it might as well be magic bullshit. You had a good thing in your hands and you took it too far.

In related news I had a far easier time dealing with the Vermillion Knight and I sincerely hope I spend the entire game rubbing his face in his own failures.

There's a bonding event with Musse early in Act 2 where she does some planning for her private army, and it's almost explicitly magic bullshit. Like, she overclocks her brain or something and gets exhausted after doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

There's a bonding event with Musse early in Act 2 where she does some planning for her private army, and it's almost explicitly magic bullshit. Like, she overclocks her brain or something and gets exhausted after doing it.

Yeah, Musse's thing isn't just 'is smart' but 'is absurdly implausible excessively capable of planning to the point it causes her physical distress.' It's a superpower as much as any other character has.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's a second bonding event in Act 3 where she heavily implies it's a gift that comes every few generations to House Cayenne and that her parents specifically trained her to use the power. It could explain why they are the highest of the Four Great Houses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't say it's the dumbest thing in this franchise, but it's really sad how it was rad as hell until she showed how she can predict Billy Joe stubbing his toe 20 years down the road.

Also lmfao oops how did I miss Ash picking up that doodad in CS3.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
How the gently caress are you supposed to beat Roselia at VM? She is impossible at this juncture.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's her master card, I beat her but I can't remember what I used.
It was probably all ranged cards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
CSIV: Act 1 double boss battle: How is that little poo poo Gilbert still kicking? Was he in the crossbell games too or something? And that fight against Zephyr holy jesus. Thankfully I went in with full everything and just smashed them in the face with S-Crafts and Randy's Order. Still only barely got it under the wire since I needed to scan them too

I'm really enjoying the dynamic early on. Juna, Kurt and Altina are genuinely great together and I find myself not really missing the larger cast. I know it wont last but it's such a great way to slip back into the world.