Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

goofy's dead wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Trying to make sonic characters look 'real' just makes them look ugly as sin, and considering what happened with the Sonic movie it's amazing he hasn't learned that lesson.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Why's everyone tweeting Donkey Kong at Ken Penders and why does it seem to bother him so much?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic is real

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

for not having touched this game since 2018 i think i did pretty well

Have you played encore mode arf.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Teratrain posted:

Why's everyone tweeting Donkey Kong at Ken Penders and why does it seem to bother him so much?

Because his 'realistic' Lara su looks like a monkey.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
She looks like Droopy. Like, severely like Droopy.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Teratrain posted:

She looks like Droopy. Like, severely like Droopy.

she looks like if Droopy had what Oscar Wilde might have called “lips made for the madness of kisses”. nowadays I believe they’re simply called DSLs

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ArfJason posted:

someone retweeted this and im filled with incontrollable rage and dumbfoundedness

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1323238603137298432

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dude actually dragged the owners of Jughead and Samba de Amigo through court for the right to sell softcore furry Steve Buscemi, smdh.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is his endgame to produce something so embarasing that Sega offer him money for his 'IP' like Nintendo did with the super hornio brothers?

Edit: oh gently caress is that supposed to be the same character twice? Is the one in the background also nude from the waist down?

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 3, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mr Phillby posted:

Is his endgame to produce something so embarasing that Sega offer him money for his 'IP' like Nintendo did with the super hornio brothers?

Almost, just one key difference: Ken wants Sega to licence his work be he actually thinks it's just that good. And you wish I was joking.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder how much of his own bullshit he actually believes and how much is just him trying to grift the few fans he has left.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

at this point, who's a genuine fan of ken penders?!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Have you played encore mode arf.

when it released, a couple times. that was just a casual stroll thru mania mode

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
kind of distressing we wont see a stage as pretty as press garden 2 again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/agAitcheson/status/1322157773287755782?s=19

God almighty.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gamer confession: i still havent played sonic mania plus. apologies, sonic

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sharrrk posted:

gamer confession: i still havent played sonic mania plus. apologies, sonic

:mods:

e: Oh, you said plus, that's less heinous.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hot take: the encore levels are nothing special, and the new characters are meh.

Just give us new levels in the Mania engine, I'll fukken pay for them as DLC, inject it into my veins :shrek:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus also bought with it the big polish patch to the original game with all the transitions and the new Stardust boss and also all that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked playing as Ray, I found his glide a lot more satisfying than Knuckles. Mighty I wasn't really fussed about.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

:mods:

e: Oh, you said plus, that's less heinous.

ya i have 100% files for sonic tails and knuckles already, i did that the week it came out

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ray and mighty were cool additions buuuuuut i really just want amy. let her have fun

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mighty felt like more of a newbie friendly character, which is fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Give me Shadow

His time as the relentlessly edgy parody of the SA2 character is over, bring him back

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hot take: the encore levels are nothing special, and the new characters are meh.

Just give us new levels in the Mania engine, I'll fukken pay for them as DLC, inject it into my veins :shrek:

Mighty perhaps but definitely not Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdgzwDP7QI

A lot of the levels are different enough from a time trial perspective that there are new routes for them as well.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ray was surprisingly fun to play as. I’ll miss him in every single 2D Sonic game that ever comes out in the future.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I would want Amy before Shadow in a Mania 2 or whatever given that including her hammer would make her more distinct from Sonic gameplay wise than Shadow would be, and also because she's probably the only female character they would be likely to ever go for

I'd still be all for heroes rising again with playable Shadow though. Especially if they focused hard on his chaos powers to help differentiate him from Sonic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can't actually have characters or movements be too distinct, or at least you don't want to. Her hammer as it was done in the Advance games might not have played well with the existing gameplay design in Mania Vanilla, everything's designed so that the game flows with you physically impacting your body to kill. But who knows, it's something you'd want to prototype and see.

I thought one thing that they could've done would've been to have the hammer be a mid-air thing that she swings around her, effectively like the sonic 3 instashield with a wider radius.

(Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that Sega didn't go full money-grubbing and release a $4 'character pack' that just has options for playing as amy and shadow and maybe someone else I dunno which play exactly like existing characters except for different spritesheets, it'd be next to no work and the audience would've eaten that up)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 4, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if yall wanna play as Amy in Sonic Mania, im right there with you with wanting here to be officially added

but the Amy Mania mod (which adds her over Mighty) is extremely high quality and yall should check it out

https://shc.zone/entries/contest2020/227

she's got her hammer and can hammer-jump, as well as do a helicopter spin thing to extend jump distance. sprites and UI changes look effectively official too

its a shame there's no way to just add more character slots to Sonic Mania yet though. i would really like to expand the roster instead of replace part of it

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The encore mode levels look fun but I don't really want to deal with the character banking mechanic so I haven't really engaged with it at all

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's fine, they mostly control the same so you just roll with it when you switch.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

put blaze in a game you cowards

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Skeletome posted:

put blaze in a game you cowards

Sonic Rush successor where you swap between Sonic’s and Blaze’s dimensions mid stage like Sonic CD’s time travel. An ice stage in one world is a volcano stage in the other, etc. Hire me SEGA!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MikeJF posted:

(Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that Sega didn't go full money-grubbing and release a $4 'character pack' that just has options for playing as amy and shadow and maybe someone else I dunno which play exactly like existing characters except for different spritesheets, it'd be next to no work and the audience would've eaten that up)

From memory, Sega has some weird stipulations around Classic Sonic that kept them from importing or referencing stuff from the 3D era, which limits the pool of potential future characters fairly dramatically, and I'm guessing they went with weirdos and not obvious picks like Amy or Metal Sonic or whoever as DLC because they want to save those more popular characters for a potential sequel.

I was expecting the Chaotix to show up (the less lame ones, not Mighty), just because the sprites already exist and are already Mania-quality, more or less.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate Encore mode that's my confession. I just really really didn't like the character stocking thing and all the gimmick item tvs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was expecting the Chaotix to show up (the less lame ones, not Mighty), just because the sprites already exist and are already Mania-quality, more or less.

More or less; Mania characters have double the animation frames that all the Mega Drive games did, Chaotix included. And quite a different approach to shading:

You could spruce up a few frames of some for a cameo, but push it further than that and it's just as much work.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 4, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I would want Amy before Shadow in a Mania 2 or whatever given that including her hammer would make her more distinct from Sonic gameplay wise than Shadow would be, and also because she's probably the only female character they would be likely to ever go for

I'd still be all for heroes rising again with playable Shadow though. Especially if they focused hard on his chaos powers to help differentiate him from Sonic

i just finished shadow the hedgehog (the game) a few days ago and really appreciated its attempts to tweak shadow's gameplay into less of a reskin of earlier 3d sonic. stuff like the karate moves, power meters, guns (they're fine!), and less of an emphasis on the homing attack. I wouldn't say those attempts necessarily worked super well, shadow is still the worst 3d sonic i've played so far, but it definitely wasn't nearly as bad as i remembered or expected

sharrrk posted:

ray and mighty were cool additions buuuuuut i really just want amy. let her have fun

this. whenever i make it to mania i'm gonna have to doubledip on the pc version for those sweet mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MikeJF posted:

And quite a different approach to shading:

But still the whites on the top of their cheeks that makes it look their eyes bleed over unless you're playing on a CRT.