Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If nukes make a game build then I submit MDK

Turok is build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Twerk from Home posted:

MDK is so good and I want a remake.

Maybe they'd be able to show BZK in full colour if that happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFXmukrQO4

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i personally don't really care for build games for multiple reasons but the arsenal in blood is without a doubt the best out of the main three. if anything i mostly just hate the noise the tesla cannon makes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty sure the only reason Shadow Warrior has a nuke is so their Chinese stereotype can make jokes about bombing Japan which is even more hosed up as I type this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure the only reason Shadow Warrior has a nuke is so their Chinese stereotype can make jokes about bombing Japan which is even more hosed up as I type this.

Calling him a Chinese stereotype is giving them too much credit. It’s a mix of every dumb Asian stereotype mixed together without thought. I’m surprised this flew even in ‘97.

I’d still like a port of it on Switch.:blush:

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

al-azad posted:

Blood's first episode is straight survival horror with how hard and tight ammo is but after that you get more napalm ammo than flare gun and TNT is your workhorse with the shotgun/tommy cleaning up stragglers. Generally speaking:

Pitchfork = Solo zombies. Get a 2-for-1 by hitting them with a flare first then stabbing until they burn.
Flare = Sniping cultists (one-hit kill, just get out of line of sight), solo zombies with pitchfork technique, alt-fire for cultist groups
Shotgun = General all-rounder, alt-fire on phantasms, kind of ineffecient on killing zombies
Tommy gun = Rats/spiders, better against cultists than shotgun, alt-fire on a group of cultists to stun-lock them and interrupt their fire
TNT = zombies/butchers and bunched up cultists where line of sight will instantly murder you. Very helpful for clearing out cultists below a ledge which is like the deadliest place for cultists to be.
Aerosol = gargoyles, bunched zombies, alt-fire is great against bunched up butchers because they're large slow targets and usually take at least 2 TNT to kill
Napalm = fucks up everything except hell hounds, one-shots gargoyles but it's risky because gargoyles generally rush you and you'll take splash damage, alt-fire is like TNT on crack
Tesla gun = hell hounds
Voodoo = If you're playing on hard or set the enemies to maximum just save this for Cheog because gently caress that guy for real

To be fair, I had a plenty of ammo by the end of the second level and decided I could be more loose on the train, but yes, survival horror indeed, really caught me on my back foot in terms of what I was expecting. Im quite fastidious when it comes to using the Pitchfork on zombies and on cultists I think I can get the jump on.

Anyhow, thanks for the write up, it seems I’m not totally overlooking how the combat is intended to play out, a thing I often do when starting a new to me classic.

Why stab a burning zombie? I haven’t been able to discover whether or not the flared enemies deal splash damage, but assumed they do. The Tommy gun also seems to be quite accurate and a good replacement for the flare gun at long range kills, but I havent been bold enough to blow through much ammo yet.

Maybe a better question to pose for Blood vets, when youre playing through the unknown (Death Wish for the first time?), what do you seem to find in your hands the most? The Shotgun has terrible accuracy for new encounters but I have so much ammo that I feel obligated to keep it handy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Death Wish i normally have the shotgun or tommygun out. That pack likes to feed you lots of hitscan ammo but its enemy count is pretty goddamn high. Like end of level boss fights can have 30+ dudes gunning at you

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that I think about it, I barely used the secondary fire (except shotgun) in all Blood. They feel very redundant with other weapons.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

al-azad posted:

Command & Conquer is Build.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto, all Build.
Power shifts quickly in Ken Silverman's Build Engine.

Of course Giants is Build. Goes without saying.

Tippis posted:

Maybe they'd be able to show BZK in full colour if that happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFXmukrQO4
The cowards would remove it and replace it with a bad attempt at humour.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

eternalvictory posted:

To be fair, I had a plenty of ammo by the end of the second level and decided I could be more loose on the train, but yes, survival horror indeed, really caught me on my back foot in terms of what I was expecting. Im quite fastidious when it comes to using the Pitchfork on zombies and on cultists I think I can get the jump on.

Anyhow, thanks for the write up, it seems I’m not totally overlooking how the combat is intended to play out, a thing I often do when starting a new to me classic.

Why stab a burning zombie? I haven’t been able to discover whether or not the flared enemies deal splash damage, but assumed they do. The Tommy gun also seems to be quite accurate and a good replacement for the flare gun at long range kills, but I havent been bold enough to blow through much ammo yet.

Maybe a better question to pose for Blood vets, when youre playing through the unknown (Death Wish for the first time?), what do you seem to find in your hands the most? The Shotgun has terrible accuracy for new encounters but I have so much ammo that I feel obligated to keep it handy.

On lightly broiled and above one flare won't kill a zombie so you can save time/ammo by shooting them with a flare then stabbing until they catch on fire.

In enclosed spaces the shotgun is my default because alt-fire will usually one-hit a cultist at medium range and push back melee enemies. Tommy gun at long range. Don't discount flare sniping, it lets you tag a cultist then hide behind a corner until they burn.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I flare snipe a lot because it only takes one shot and works at very long distances. Very ammo efficient. The alt fire is a great crowd clearer too. Also I'd add to the tesla gun that it's pretty good on literally everything, especially the boss monsters IMO. Hell hounds are great because it kills them before they can do anything but the shotgun works fine in a pinch. I agree that the voodoo doll is basically for stone gargoyles/cheogh and nothing else.

Edit: Blood is definitely my favorite Build game but the more I think about it the more I hate how many cultists show up early on in the game without the weapons to really deal with them appropriately, and how goddamn much health the boss enemies have considering they become common enemies later. It feels like fighting Barons in Doom 1 does with only the shotgun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blood is a really cool game but it does have a ton of design choices I don’t like.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that I think about it, I barely used the secondary fire (except shotgun) in all Blood. They feel very redundant with other weapons.

It's pretty important for the flare gun and tnt though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Flannelette posted:

It's pretty important for the flare gun and tnt though.

...I may have finished the entire game without using those.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

al-azad posted:

Pitchfork = Solo zombies. Get a 2-for-1 by hitting them with a flare first then stabbing until they burn.
Flare = Sniping cultists (one-hit kill, just get out of line of sight), solo zombies with pitchfork technique, alt-fire for cultist groups
Shotgun = General all-rounder, alt-fire on phantasms, kind of ineffecient on killing zombies
Tommy gun = Rats/spiders, better against cultists than shotgun, alt-fire on a group of cultists to stun-lock them and interrupt their fire
TNT = zombies/butchers and bunched up cultists where line of sight will instantly murder you. Very helpful for clearing out cultists below a ledge which is like the deadliest place for cultists to be.
Aerosol = gargoyles, bunched zombies, alt-fire is great against bunched up butchers because they're large slow targets and usually take at least 2 TNT to kill
Napalm = fucks up everything except hell hounds, one-shots gargoyles but it's risky because gargoyles generally rush you and you'll take splash damage, alt-fire is like TNT on crack
Tesla gun = hell hounds
Voodoo = If you're playing on hard or set the enemies to maximum just save this for Cheog because gently caress that guy for real
You forgot the Life Leech.
Though it's probably not a coincidence that you forgot the Life Leech.

Turin Turambar posted:

...I may have finished the entire game without using those.
You finished the entire game without using TNT? If that's the case, it's not much of an exaggeration to say that you haven't really played Blood.
Edit: Oh, you meant the alt-fire. Sorry.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 3, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have no idea how you managed. The secondary fire on TNT is so crucial for corner-kills. Like yeah I suppose you can sub the remote detonator or even the proximity TNT, but depending on where you are you have a lot more TNT than anything else.

I'm a basic bitch so I'm playing through Death Wish on Civvie's recommendation, and yeah it rules. I just started the 3rd campaign and the Silent Hill level is :discourse: . The Dark Tower + Boss Fight in the 2nd Campaign was tight.

Carpator Diei posted:

I actually had a rare case in the 3rd to last map where the Turret Function on the Life Leech was essential in helping clear out some Tesla Cultists.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

You finished the entire game without using TNT? If that's the case, it's not much of an exaggeration to say that you haven't really played Blood.

Without using the secondary fire.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Now that you've played it, if you play it again you know some good spots to use the tnt alt fire now.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

al-azad posted:

On lightly broiled and above one flare won't kill a zombie so you can save time/ammo by shooting them with a flare then stabbing until they catch on fire.

In enclosed spaces the shotgun is my default because alt-fire will usually one-hit a cultist at medium range and push back melee enemies. Tommy gun at long range. Don't discount flare sniping, it lets you tag a cultist then hide behind a corner until they burn.

Haha, of course that’s why. Im going to restart a difficulty or two higher I think, so long as I can get myself to not turn every encounter into some form of Pitchfork attrition. And yes, I love the flares already, as any form of ammo conservation and accuracy is a big plus.

Goal for first playthrough is to use all the weapons a decent amount instead of saving every power weapon for boss encounters - which will be a lot easier knowing what the arsenal and it’s uses are. Im real excited to finally play Blood past the first level!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I have no idea how you managed. The secondary fire on TNT is so crucial for corner-kills. Like yeah I suppose you can sub the remote detonator or even the proximity TNT, but depending on where you are you have a lot more TNT than anything else.

I'm a basic bitch so I'm playing through Death Wish on Civvie's recommendation, and yeah it rules. I just started the 3rd campaign and the Silent Hill level is :discourse: . The Dark Tower + Boss Fight in the 2nd Campaign was tight.

I actually had a rare case in the 3rd to last map where the Turret Function on the Life Leech was essential in helping clear out some Tesla Cultists.

I never use the Life Leech primary but the secondary can be useful for cheesing things sometimes because it never runs out of ammo in turret mode. The damage per shot sucks but it'll just keep firing until everything is dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I used it on the final map of Death Wish Campaign 2 and it was surprisingly handy at helping clean up the Cultists while I circle-strafed the bosses.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

eternalvictory posted:

Haha, of course that’s why. Im going to restart a difficulty or two higher I think, so long as I can get myself to not turn every encounter into some form of Pitchfork attrition. And yes, I love the flares already, as any form of ammo conservation and accuracy is a big plus.

Goal for first playthrough is to use all the weapons a decent amount instead of saving every power weapon for boss encounters - which will be a lot easier knowing what the arsenal and it’s uses are. Im real excited to finally play Blood past the first level!

I've been playing using the 'made to order' difficulty.

Player damage threshold - low
Enemy damage - low
Enemy count - very high
All the cultist stuff - low
Everything else - medium

It took me a few runs through the first two levels to decide on this. Well done difficulty just became too much of a pitchfork fest and lightly broiled didn't have enough enemies. This right here is solid gold, if solid gold was blowing up massive groups of zombies and cultists with TNT.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

.Ataraxia. posted:

Enemy damage - low
Enemy count - very high
Everything else - medium

It took me a few runs through the first two levels to decide on this. Well done difficulty just became too much of a pitchfork fest and lightly broiled didn't have enough enemies. This right here is solid gold, if solid gold was blowing up massive groups of zombies and cultists with TNT.

I love me some solid gold, brother. Gotta love the thrill that a big wave of enemies beings. I will replay using those settings and see how she goes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There are few things greater than the audio clipping after blowing up a group of zombies.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

.Ataraxia. posted:

Enemy damage - low
Enemy count - very high
Everything else - medium

Just curious but is there something that shows what each of these parameters are set to for the default difficulties?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just curious but is there something that shows what each of these parameters are set to for the default difficulties?

I think it just matches the difficulties. So anything very low, matches the lowest difficulty and very high matches the hardest difficulty. This is 100% an assumption.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SeANMcBAY posted:

There are five difficulties and they all correspond to the five settings: very low, low, medium, high, very high

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ah, that makes sense.:downs:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just finished up Ep 2 of Heretic (Smite-meister, continuous start), and I have to say I'm enjoying how all the weapons seem to be pretty useful and how a map scroll is usually provided in each level. Certainly makes it much easier to track down secrets.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I will never forgive Heretic for having such a wet fart of a BFG replacement. You're already going full dark fantasy, you may as well get creative and go buckwild instead of a spinning mace that farts out tiny balls that get killed by puddles. However, Hexen did redeem the Firemace by introducing the Wraithverge.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The tesla cannon in blood absolutely wrecks stone gargoyles too.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXmKTKzj-U
that's a good wad :allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It makes me happy to seen Doom specific tubers be successful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Considering how chuddy some aspects of gaming are (speedrunning is a big one) it's heartening seeing the head of New Blood and civvie tweeting poo poo that makes it clear how much they hate Trump.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Considering how chuddy some aspects of gaming are (speedrunning is a big one) it's heartening seeing the head of New Blood and civvie tweeting poo poo that makes it clear how much they hate Trump.

I expected speedrunning to be more open. I haven't really been following the communities though. That's a shame to hear.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

The tesla cannon in blood absolutely wrecks stone gargoyles too.
The tesla cannon wrecks everything in Blood. That's why you hoard ammo for it. Love that thing.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I expected speedrunning to be more open. I haven't really been following the communities though. That's a shame to hear.
The type of person single-minded and competitive enough to focus on something as insane as speedruns does make sense for CHUD-think.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

How quick you are to forget New Blood deliberately embracing RWS and other chuds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's weird because there is a lot of inclusiveness (they even put preferred pronounces on the GDQ streams now) but a number of top runners (the top Mario 64 runner is a gay guy who's a transphobe) or popular streamers/YouTubers are huge shitheads. I think the only generalist speedrun content big YouTuber that's "clean" is SummoningSalt.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

How quick you are to forget New Blood deliberately embracing RWS and other chuds.

???

That was 3D Realms I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Convex posted:

???

That was 3D Realms I thought

NBI were very enthusiastic participants in the retro shooter stream event featuring a lot of lovely people, two months ago.