Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

My main problem with "just house rule stuff" is that the main reason I play 40k is that it's super easy to go to a new LGS and get a game in. 40k pretty much has the title of most popular wargame on lock, and the ease of finding people to play with is the main reason I buy, build, and paint these silly space mans.

If you want to play with your toys, you'll need to find people who are happy to let you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Stephenls posted:

The real question is, can they come up with a reason why the Eldar are the villains in a boxed set vs. Ultramarines? Because if they can do that, the Eldar could get a full line refresh as part of an edition launch.

They are specifically name dropped as being in the Pariah Nexus doing unknown, nefarious things. That counts right? RIGHT!?!?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's amazing how fast people forget that UM vs Eldar happened as a box in the middle of 8th.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have a few more details to go but I'm done for tonight I think. I wanna add a bit more color to the backpack and some bits and bobs throughout. Not too happy with the base but maybe a more solid black rim will make it look nicer.

Bonus:

Don't talk to me or my sons again!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What is a fair price for a sealed Dark Imperium these days?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Gaz looking good.

Verisimilidude posted:

Don't talk to me or my boyz again!

:colbert:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Bucnasti posted:

That is not true. I just recently bought the Japanese box, it only had 6 in it, and the packaging only shows 6 sculpts (5 revealed and 1 hidden).
Japan had a paint kit with the seventh. Haven’t had an alternate code in an English release as they were typically the chase fig.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Bucnasti posted:

That is not true. I just recently bought the Japanese box, it only had 6 in it, and the packaging only shows 6 sculpts (5 revealed and 1 hidden).

There are 2 Japanese boxes, one with paints and the caster.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Strobe posted:

It's amazing how fast people forget that UM vs Eldar happened as a box in the middle of 8th.

Yeah, but they only got one new model out of that, and it was one of, like, three Vigilus boxes around that time. There is a difference between a short event box and the sort of sustained plotline GW uses to hype a big line refresh.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Verisimilidude posted:

Don't talk to me or my sons again!

How did you do your bases? What did you do to get the yellow/brass/gold effect on the claws?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
GW make a Shayna Baszler Space Marine model you cowards.

https://twitter.com/UpUpDwnDwn/status/1323641143477833734

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Strobe posted:

I stopped playing in 4th into 5th and got back in in July, so this is news to me!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

What's the best way to build out a Necron army after Indomitus?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Cessna posted:

Looks like silent king , 30 warriors and ways to get the warriors back seems like a good way to start .

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Extra Warriors. They are a pretty solid choice for basically any list. Indomitus comes with enough stuff that you can sort of get a feel for what units you like and which ones you don't, so you can go from there.

However, since the warriors are the same as the recruit boxes and basically the same price, you might as well buy them second hand or buy the recruit boxes and sell all the spares.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I see two recommendations for more Warriors. Are they a better choice than Immortals?

I'm also thinking of a Cryptek and a couple of Ghost Arks - good idea?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Two Headed Calf posted:

How did you do your bases? What did you do to get the yellow/brass/gold effect on the claws?

The bases are Golden crackle paste in a thick layer. Once it dried I shaved down the sides with a nail file and painted it with Golden Red Oxide, washed with Agrax Earthshade and drybrushed with red oxide mixed with a bright orange.

The color on the claws is just Vallejo Model Wash Light Rust over Vallejo Metal Pale Burnt Metal, which itself was washed with AP Dark Wash. I also used AP Dry Rust for the patches of orange rust, and then a bit of AP Glistening Blood for the blood stuck in the crevices.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I see two recommendations for more Warriors. Are they a better choice than Immortals?

I'm also thinking of a Cryptek and a couple of Ghost Arks - good idea?

I think people are leaning towards warriors with the Gauss Reapers in big blobs to maximise the reanimation rolls.

Not entirely sure about Ghost Arks, they bring models back but can only carry ten warriors which are less survivable.

In terms of support characters I think as long as you have a plan and role for them, most of them are pretty good. You want plenty of characters to benefit from the protocols anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/04/three-more-reasons-to-visit-your-warhammer-store/

This seems very poorly timed, even with the excuse at the bottom.
Even if the Pick ‘N’ Mix Paint Set idea is neat.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Knobb Manwich posted:

A normal morning considering buying recruit edition while waiting for indomitus, but convincing myself to go elite edition for the destroyers. It's saving money right? :shepspends:

the recruit and elite edition are the best way to buy the troops or elites included in those boxes; if you are planning to buy in and want to play either of those armies you are going to buy a recruit or elite box, or two, eventually anyway.

I'd go with the elite edition myself, you can part out what you don't want on ebay or for store credit at your LGS depending on what kind of place you go

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/04/three-more-reasons-to-visit-your-warhammer-store/

They've gotta do something for their store owners to try to bring on-foot business in. Does this mean all their partner stores are getting the freebies, or just official GW stores?

Smart of them to make the most expensive paint the free one instead of "equal or less value", I'd like to see some paint line price drops to go with it, people have had a lot of time in the last year to learn how to use other products and paying the citadel premium seems a little silly when reaper and army painter cost half the price and are just a little trickier to work with

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 4, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/01/sunday-preview-the-road-to-godhood/

Mainly a bunch of AoS preorders next weekend, but one point of interest is that the Space Marine Heroes Death guard series is coming to the west at last.

Seems like a good source for a character model or two at least.
And 40k playing cards if you want to play grimdark solitaire.

Explain to me, as you would a child, what these are. Has GW gotten into the same game as the guys who sell keychain tchotchkes at the book store? I do want these models though; so when they go on preorder can I get them through my flgs or are they GW mail exclusive?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Explain to me, as you would a child, what these are. Has GW gotten into the same game as the guys who sell keychain tchotchkes at the book store? I do want these models though; so when they go on preorder can I get them through my flgs or are they GW mail exclusive?

These, like Space Marine Heroes Series 1 and 2 before them, were conceived and manufactured as a product to sell in Japan, where Warhammer has a presence and where blind-buy collector's boxes like these are very popular. They're not just Easy-to-Build in the sense of being press-fit and requiring no glue, they're also manufactured with only the tiniest point of contact between model part and runner/sprue/frame/whatever, so you can pop them off the sprue with your fingers. (This is not ideal and still leaves a nub, but it's pretty small.) They are basically boxes that Japanese model collectors can buy for cheap while at the counter paying for a gundam, and then assemble in ten minutes with no tools.

They show up here a year or two after going on the market there because the European and North American market want 'em, too. In the case of Series 1 and 2, there were a few models available in Japan that were never sold in blind boxes in Europe or North America because GW used the models in their Space Marine Adventures game, and a few models not part of the initial Japan release that got added to the European/American release because... I dunno, because that's how collector's item marketing works? This doesn't seem to be the case with the Series 3 stuff, maybe there's less demand for plague marines.

The series 2 terminator sculpts were really nice.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 4, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Does this mean all their partner stores are getting the freebies, or just official GW stores?

Much like everything else I'm figuring independent stockists are poo poo out of luck and it's only for their official stores. My FLGS for all I know never got the warhammer day stuff and they only got a single box of the predator catachan.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I do want these models though; so when they go on preorder can I get them through my flgs or are they GW mail exclusive?

I know my FLGS is stocking the Series 2 with BA Termies so you can get them through your local store or via the GW Webstore.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

blind bag lego minifigs. They're complete 40k/Killteam 28mm* scale models with valid game loadouts, there are 6(7) different models in blind boxes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cooked Auto posted:

Much like everything else I'm figuring independent stockists are poo poo out of luck and it's only for their official stores. My FLGS for all I know never got the warhammer day stuff and they only got a single box of the predator catachan.

FLGS's got the Warhammer Day terminator. I bought mine at my FLGS. I think that every FLGS got 5?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Feels like GW is doing better about providing products for a wide variety of customers. People buying blind box models are buying them because they’re blind box, it’s fun for them. God bless em.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jassi007 posted:

FLGS's got the Warhammer Day terminator. I bought mine at my FLGS. I think that every FLGS got 5?

Huh, my FLGS was quiet about Warhammer Day on their FB page so I assumed they just didn't get anything. Guess it varied on stores. Guess I'll have to drop by and check. Hopefully I'll get my Ripper Jackson model before long.
Still feels like independent stocks are excluded from stuff like this anyway.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Space Marines Heroes dudes are evidently a smidge bigger than your standard smallmarine, the actual Astartes Space Marines are more in line with the new Chaos marines size-wise and the Terminators are a tad bigger too.

Most if not all the models come with both a bare head and helmet option too.

bij fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 4, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

We don't have coronavirus so it seems good.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mirthless posted:

the recruit and elite edition are the best way to buy the troops or elites included in those boxes; if you are planning to buy in and want to play either of those armies you are going to buy a recruit or elite box, or two, eventually anyway.

I assumed the standalone boxes for the destroyers/outriders etc were new multi pose models given their pricing, but no they're the same easy to build models. So I probably will grab a box because that's mad.

That command edition post got to me as terrain would be nice.

JBP posted:

We don't have coronavirus so it seems good.

I'll be holding you personally responsible for the third wave after this post.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bij posted:

The Space Marines Heroes dudes are evidently a smidge bigger than your standard smallmarine, the actual Astartes Space Marines are more in line with the new Chaos marines size-wise and the Terminators are a tad bigger too.

I find they look bigger, but are actually about the same size. The Series 1 tactical marines have their apparent size increased a bit by the sculpted bases and dynamic poses adding some height, and the Series 2 terminators benefit from that that plus their helmets are sculpted slightly smaller and more recessed than the old-rear end plastic multipose terminators, which makes their bodies look bigger. They're still a bit smaller than the current Chaos Space Marine line.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Anyone in the US want to buy my necron half of Indomitus? Also open for a trade.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ZachAttack posted:

Anyone in the US want to buy my necron half of Indomitus? Also open for a trade.

How much ($)?

(I also might have trades, send me a PM.)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I picked up the new biker Chaplain and I'd rather not have to drop another $45 for another one just because I have two different marine armies (Black Templars and Carcharadons). Anyone have suggestions what to put on the left pauldron that's chapter-agnostic? I was kind of thinking just a white background and a skull or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

I picked up the new biker Chaplain and I'd rather not have to drop another $45 for another one just because I have two different marine armies (Black Templars and Carcharadons). Anyone have suggestions what to put on the left pauldron that's chapter-agnostic? I was kind of thinking just a white background and a skull or something.

You can't go wrong with a skull with any army. Imp, xenos, or otherwise.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
people seem to be upset about allocations

game is dieing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can't wait for covid to be over and I can play random nerds in my area in spaceman chess.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

That pauldron is a separate piece, so the obvious solution is to magnetize it and paint up options for both Black Templars and Carcharodons. Then you can paint up a third pauldron if you ever start a third Space Marine army, too. Future-proofing!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

John Romero posted:

people seem to be upset about allocations

game is dieing

What does this mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

JBP posted:

What does this mean

GW’s limits on units they’ll ship to stores, some stores are literally getting one or two kits from a new release.

Without enough volume of new releases most game stores will be hard pressed to make money, and they won’t get that money back if supply ever goes back up because people will have flocked to GW stores or online options that have stock.